• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In Huge News: Governor of Georgia says "Feel Free to Order Uber Eats" to the Peasants

How does it "affect turnout"?
What does it do? From time to time one can go down a list of ways democrats voted heavulily in the last election and discover republicans changed the rules so those ways are limited or gone entirely.

Completely by coincidence, of course.

Doesn't New York have different problems aat election time. Cold, etc?

The whole thing is foolish. Nobody is going to vote differently because someone gave them a bottle of water.

Perhaps in New York you got different gifts given out. And perhaps no one's vote is ever swayed (though I doubt it, especially when it comes to small, local races no one ever bothers to research). But, it's plenty fine to say No Campaigning to the people in line.

Is it possible they're just gaming their own constituents by pretending to do something for their trump supporting voters that has no actual effect?

It can't, because it's in response to a myth. Those legislators know that its a myth.

I'm A Mind Reader isn't any more convincing or compelling an argument than But It's Different When We Do It.

What does it do? From time to time one can go down a list of ways democrats voted heavulily in the last election and discover republicans changed the rules so those ways are limited or gone entirely.

Completely by coincidence, of course.
Such as? Let's hear some examples.

25 whole feet.

Goodness. Obvious voter Suppression, right there. Having to walk 25 feet to get free pizza is just like Jim Crow.

I would appreciate it. I don't want to talk to people trying to sell me a candidate any more than I want to talk to people trying to sell me a car warranty.
How big do you believe sidewalks are? Most of the ones I've been on are not 25 feet. And since some voter lines can go on for many blocks, with the people standing on the sidewalk, and normally in the middle of the sidewalk, that means no one can give out anything at all on any of those sidewalks without getting in trouble.

It is a stupid, completely unnecessary law.

There are many states that make it more difficult to vote than Georgia. You people are too fixated on free bottles of water to stop and think.

Yes, but many of those are either also red states or have old laws that some within their government are trying to change, like New York.

How big do you believe sidewalks are? Most of the ones I've been on are not 25 feet. And since some voter lines can go on for many blocks, with the people standing on the sidewalk, and normally in the middle of the sidewalk, that means no one can give out anything at all on any of those sidewalks without getting in trouble.

It is a stupid, completely unnecessary law.

As I understand it, it's a response to campaigns using the food loophole to campaign by handing out pizza, etc. 25 feet sounds pretty much like "across the street" or "in the parking lot".

Now, as we all have heard recently, Georgia just introduced a new voting law - reducing hours - and reducing ballot locations. BUT, in great and exciting news today: Governor Kemp let voters know "Feel free to buy some shit if you want".

This is a huge victory for America today. Now you can pay a poll tax to UberEats so that you don't pass out! Thank you Kemp.

Just don’t ask for a bottle of water!

Why do ya’ll get so cranky about how others wish to exercise their franchise? All these rules for voting. It’s not supposed to be a hazing ritual.

Disingenuous and typically dishonest.

No one is ”cranky” about how others exercise their franchise. But a lot of people are “cranky” about the way the GOP has launched a 40 state effort to keep people from exercising their franchise, or deliberately making it very difficult and inconvenient.

As I understand it, it's a response to campaigns using the food loophole to campaign by handing out pizza, etc. 25 feet sounds pretty much like "across the street" or "in the parking lot".
They weren't campaigning at all with the pizza. They were literally just handing out pizza to everyone, including those in line to vote because it was to discourage people having to leave the long lines just to get food or drinks. There was nothing political about it. And it is being done in 48 states.

However, the way the law is written, it prosecutes for just what I said, even if those on those sidewalks (since the only exceptions are for people giving out free food inside buildings where voters can't see/hear) refuse to give any "free" food to voters.

Yes, but many of those are either also red states or have old laws that some within their government are trying to change, like New York.
And many are blue states. People have far less opportunity to vote in places like Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico and Rhode Island to name a few.

Man. You guys must have been realllllllly pissed off at that racist, vote-suppressing, New York when you discovered Georgia got the language for that from them.

"No campaigning to include gifts within 150 get off a polling place" = "they must think of everyone as peasants". Yeesh we live in stupid times :rolleyes:

so water is now a gift?

And many are blue states. People have far less opportunity to vote in places like Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico and Rhode Island to name a few.
According to who?

And how long ago were the mandates regarding what is making it difficult to vote put into place?

Connecticut doesn't allow early voting or no excuse mail in voting, which I disagree with, however, they have same day and online registration, as well as their ID requirements are "non photo".

And their last voter laws enacted, putting in such restrictions, were over 30 years ago. They have legislation being worked on that would change some of their voter laws to become more lax, including allowing no excuse absentee voting and early voting. Guess which group is opposing these changes?

Like I said, old laws that are being worked on to change. I'll come back with more.

Not many blue states.

But let us look at some more.

Delaware.

Has many of the same laws as Connecticut, except same day registration. Delaware enacted an early voting law for 2022.

Again, old laws being changed to make voting easier.

How is Maryland on this list? They allow no excuse mail in voting and early voting, as well as no ID at polling place, and online voter registration.

And Mass looks similar to Maryland.

And it appears they allow no excuse absentee voting, but not completely sure.

New Mexico falls in line with these as well.

Last edited:
Man. You guys must have been realllllllly pissed off at that racist, vote-suppressing, New York when you discovered Georgia got the language for that from them.

"No campaigning to include gifts within 150 get off a polling place" = "they must think of everyone as peasants". Yeesh we live in stupid times :rolleyes:
Georgia had to crib notes for something that simple?

You still never addressed why you think GA addressed this issue (and made it worse by restricting mail in voting) and not the fundamental problem of ridiculously long voting lines in black neighborhoods.

According to who?
According to their respective voting laws.

How many days do you get to vote in Maryland vs. Georgia?

Connecticut doesn't allow early voting or no excuse mail in voting, which I disagree with, however, they have same day and online registration, as well as their ID requirements are "non photo".
Cool. Someone could spend three weeks registering to vote in Georgia and still have more flexibility than in Connecticut.

According to their respective voting laws.

How many days do you get to vote in Maryland vs. Georgia?

Cool. Someone could spend three weeks registering to vote in Georgia and still have more flexibility than in Connecticut.
So having more days to vote, but things that also make that voting harder automatically makes it "easier"? That is ridiculous.

Flexibility doesn't mean much if they are changing to allow no excuse needed mailin voting, don't require an ID, and don't have ridiculously long lines. How many voting places does Connecticut have/allow per 1000 voters? Do they have a limit on how many polling places can be open or how many drop boxes can be put out?

Again, you are claiming that a single thing makes it easier to vote in Georgia, many would disagree. Plus Georgia just enacted additional laws to make it more difficult to vote in at least some ways, while Connecticut and most of those others are making it easier to vote, not harder.

Perhaps in New York you got different gifts given out. And perhaps no one's vote is ever swayed (though I doubt it, especially when it comes to small, local races no one ever bothers to research). But, it's plenty fine to say No Campaigning to the people in line.

I'm A Mind Reader isn't any more convincing or compelling an argument than But It's Different When We Do It.
I'm.prepared to accept your claim that it's not different than other states. I've always respected you here as a poster.

So the question becomes why are they doing what they're doing? They aren't addressing fraud, as there wasn't any anybody can find that amounts to anything.

They wouldn't do anything to facilitate voting. High turnout means they lose, usually.

So if it isn't suppressive, and they wouldn't facilitate, and there was no fraud to address, what is the purpose of that many changes? Why do it at all?

So having more days to vote, but things that also make that voting harder automatically makes it "easier"? That is ridiculous.
Voters in Georgia had roughly twice as many days to vote than voters in Maryland. You also get 10 extra days to request an absentee ballot.

Flexibility doesn't mean much if they are changing to allow no excuse needed mailin voting, don't require an ID, and don't have ridiculously long lines. How many voting places does Connecticut have/allow per 1000 voters? Do they have a limit on how many polling places can be open or how many drop boxes can be put out?
I live in a majority-minority precinct. I walked in and voted in under 5 minutes on election day. It probably took me longer to drive to the polling place - which is a high school located literally across the street from my neighborhood.

Again, you are claiming that a single thing makes it easier to vote in Georgia, many would disagree. Plus Georgia just enacted additional laws to make it more difficult to vote in at least some ways, while Connecticut and most of those others are making it easier to vote, not harder.
Connecticut hasn't passed anything. I have 20 times as many voting days as Connecticut. It's also *far* easier to obtain a mail-in ballot in Georgia than in CT.

Yes, I'm glad to hear that CT is working on making things easier, but they have a ton of work to do if they want to have anything like the flexibility offered in Georgia.

Voters in Georgia had roughly twice as many days to vote than voters in Maryland. You also get 10 extra days to request an absentee ballot.

I live in a majority-minority precinct. I walked in and voted in under 5 minutes on election day. It probably took me longer to drive to the polling place - which is a high school located literally across the street from my neighborhood.

Connecticut hasn't passed anything. I have 20 times as many voting days as Connecticut. It's also *far* easier to obtain a mail-in ballot in Georgia than in CT.

Yes, I'm glad to hear that CT is working on making things easier, but they have a ton of work to do if they want to have anything like the flexibility offered in Georgia.
Like I said, they are working on making it easier, and have almost 2 years to do so. I provided evidence they have laws at the very least in the works to make it easier to vote. Georgia, by contrast, just enacted laws that make it harder, more difficult to vote in some ways.

There is little flexibility in Georgia if you need so much verification on your mail in ballot, are limited by number of polling places and/or ballot drop boxes, and the Georgia legislature can just decide that there was fraud and change the votes to suit themselves. That is not a free and fair election. Not to mention the only state that wouldn't allow people standing in line to vote a small bottle of water (since New York actually allows for that based on their monetary limit) to be given to them.

Like I said, they are working on making it easier, and have almost 2 years to do so. I provided evidence they have laws at the very least in the works to make it easier to vote. Georgia, by contrast, just enacted laws that make it harder, more difficult to vote in some ways.
That's a bit like saying Land Rover is desperately trying to make the Discovery more fuel efficient whereas Toyota improved the safety of the Prius, but the added weight reduced its MPG slightly. Get back to me when CT actually passes something that approaches the voting opportunities that exist in GA.

There is little flexibility in Georgia if you need so much verification on your mail in ballot, are limited by number of polling places and/or ballot drop boxes, and the Georgia legislature can just decide that there was fraud and change the votes to suit themselves. That is not a free and fair election. Not to mention the only state that wouldn't allow people standing in line to vote a small bottle of water (since New York actually allows for that based on their monetary limit) to be given to them.
Yes, should be interesting to see voter participation plummet because people have to write a number on their absentee ballot and *gasp!* bring their own water.

There is little flexibility in Georgia if you need so much verification on your mail in ballot
People should welcome objective standards. Subjective standards such as signature-matching allow poll-workers to toss legal ballots. In Colorado, over 100,000 ballots were subjectively trashed in the 2016 and 2018 election cycles - mostly in poorer, more diverse precincts.

People should welcome objective standards. Subjective standards such as signature-matching allow poll-workers to toss legal ballots. In Colorado, over 100,000 ballots were subjectively trashed in the 2016 and 2018 election cycles - mostly in poorer, more diverse precincts.
That is what ballot curing is for. Or simply not letting amateurs or those who would toss for any signature (and get the single say on it) make that decision. There are plenty of things that can be done. Or we could make it verifiable through codes and knowledge. Notification that your ballot was deemed "questionable", now you provide info related to your life and identity, things that can even be provided online after receiving such a message. That notification should come to either a phone number or email (or both) given by the person upon registration and can be changed online only with other info. This really isn't that hard unless you want to make it so.

And how many ballots did Colorado reject this cycle? And look, they see a problem and actually aim to fix that problem, so many rejected ballots with real solutions that get more votes accepted.

Last edited:
That's a bit like saying Land Rover is desperately trying to make the Discovery more fuel efficient whereas Toyota improved the safety of the Prius, but the added weight reduced its MPG slightly. Get back to me when CT actually passes something that approaches the voting opportunities that exist in GA.

Yes, should be interesting to see voter participation plummet because people have to write a number on their absentee ballot and *gasp!* bring their own water.
They already did, you just don't approve. You think that the only thing that matters is time for early voting, despite the fact that we are talking about states with very different population levels and concentrations. Show me where Connecticut citizens are having issues with lines or a significant number are requesting more days to vote.

Back
Top Bottom