• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In Huge News: Governor of Georgia says "Feel Free to Order Uber Eats" to the Peasants

AFrench2

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Now, as we all have heard recently, Georgia just introduced a new voting law - reducing hours - and reducing ballot locations. BUT, in great and exciting news today: Governor Kemp let voters know "Feel free to buy some shit if you want".

This is a huge victory for America today. Now you can pay a poll tax to UberEats so that you don't pass out! Thank you Kemp.

Now, as we all have heard recently, Georgia just introduced a new voting law - reducing hours - and reducing ballot locations. BUT, in great and exciting news today: Governor Kemp let voters know "Feel free to buy some shit if you want".

This is a huge victory for America today. Now you can pay a poll tax to UberEats so that you don't pass out! Thank you Kemp.

The bluejeans and beer party strikes again.

Marie Antoinette said it more graciously.

Man. You guys must have been realllllllly pissed off at that racist, vote-suppressing, New York when you discovered Georgia got the language for that from them.

"No campaigning to include gifts within 150 get off a polling place" = "they must think of everyone as peasants". Yeesh we live in stupid times :rolleyes:

Man. You guys must have been realllllllly pissed off at that racist, vote-suppressing, New York when you discovered Georgia got the language for that from them.

"No campaigning to include gifts within 150 get off a polling place" = "they must think of everyone as peasants". Yeesh we live in stupid times :rolleyes:
Not quite. The New York law allows for small "gifts", less than $1 in value, to be handed out. So the people could likely only give out small bottles of water to those in line, but they can still do that.

That still should be changed, and there are people within the NY government working to make changes to those voting laws that there that are restrictive, that have been on the books for decades. They aren't new laws, just enacted.

Last edited:
Not quite. The New York law allows for small "gifts", less than $1 in value, to be handed out. So the people could likely only give out small bottles of water to those in line, but they can still do that.

That still should be changed, although that would depend on if they have it set up to within 150 feet of the polling place alone or if it also includes anyone in line at all, like Georgia's law does.
Nothing in NY is less than a dollar. Not the tolls, not soda or water, nothing.

Nothing in NY is less than a dollar. Not the tolls, not soda or water, nothing.
Water can be easily valued at less than a $1 by buying in bulk from Walmart or Costco or other club stores, even in New York City. These are easily valued at less than $1 a bottle, as showing the receipt for this would prove it would be 20 cents a bottle, so you could give a single person 4 bottles without coming to the limit (5 may be pushing it if someone really wanted to try to get technical).

Water can be easily valued at less than a $1 by buying in bulk from Walmart or Costco or other club stores, even in New York City. These are easily valued at less than $1 a bottle, as showing the receipt for this would prove it would be 20 cents a bottle, so you could give a single person 4 bottles without coming to the limit (5 may be pushing it if someone really wanted to try to get technical).

If you are buying water in that kind of bulk to hand out forgivingly to people in pool liners, it strikes me, you are probably campaigning which is what the law is meant to stop :-/

If you are buying water in that kind of bulk to hand out forgivingly to people in pool liners, it strikes me, you are probably campaigning which is what the law is meant to stop :-/
Why would you automatically be campaigning? Some people really do just care about people. Or they want to encourage people to vote. I just said to my MIL yesterday that I want to take a couple hundred dollars to buy some pretty inexpensive nonperishables that people may need to give to local food banks because that is something I see as good things for people to do. There are plenty of things that people are willing to give such gifts to people for. The Pizza people took donations from all over the country to set up free pizza slices and drinks for election day, available to everyone, but meant to discourage people from using the excuse "I'm hungry/thirsty, so I need to leave the voting line".

Are those who give water or food in bulk to homeless people campaigning? Is giving away free food and beverages at a campaign event itself also buying votes? Why is it buying votes, illegal campaigning only when someone is right there in line to vote?

This of course makes it ok. Apparently you all think Democrats are the paragon of virtue.

Why would you automatically be campaigning? Some people really do just care about people. Or they want to encourage people to vote. I just said to my MIL yesterday that I want to take a couple hundred dollars to buy some pretty inexpensive nonperishables that people may need to give to local food banks because that is something I see as good things for people to do. There are plenty of things that people are willing to give such gifts to people for. The Pizza people took donations from all over the country to set up free pizza slices and drinks for election day, available to everyone, but meant to discourage people from using the excuse "I'm hungry/thirsty, so I need to leave the voting line".

Are those who give water or food in bulk to homeless people campaigning? Is giving away free food and beverages at a campaign event itself also buying votes? Why is it buying votes, illegal campaigning only when someone is right there in line to vote?
I'm just addressing your last line...

Yes. Typically, they're campaigning for god.

I'm just addressing your last line...

Yes. Typically, they're campaigning for god.
"Campaigning for god"? What does that even mean? So long as you are not making any requirements on receiving the free food and/or drinks, there really should not be any problem when it comes to giving them out to even those standing in line. It should be obvious when other states do not put such ridiculous restrictions on such things being given out. The most you have from almost any other state is "politicians and their families shouldn't be giving out free food or drinks to those in line to vote" elsewhere (NY and GA being the only exceptions here, only places with harsher restrictions, and New York's being a much older law that is being looked at to being removed/updated now).

:) No, handing out good to the homeless is not campaigning. But, it strikes me, if you are buying water in bulk to work the poll lines, you're more likely to be the kind of entity that also hands out red hats with slogans on them, or other such gifts associated with campaigning. That's not "oh hey my friend called and said it was long and asked me to bring him a book and a Gatorade"; it's a lot more "this is how we avoid the letter of the law in order to interact with large numbers of boots in a positive way right before they make their decisions"

This of course makes it ok. Apparently you all think Democrats are the paragon of virtue.
No - it demonstrates that they don't, actually, think those rules are racist voter suppression jim crow laws.

But, by the time the law actually passed, the Narrative was Set, and, in these stupid, stupid times, Tribal Narrative is more important than facts, so....... :(

:) No, handing out good to the homeless is not campaigning. But, it strikes me, if you are buying water in bulk to work the poll lines, you're more likely to be the kind of entity that also hands out red hats with slogans on them, or other such gifts associated with campaigning. That's not "oh hey my friend called and said it was long and asked me to bring him a book and a Gatorade"; it's a lot more "this is how we avoid the letter of the law in order to interact with large numbers of boots in a positive way right before they make their decisions"
So long as no one can tell why you are giving it out and you offer or give to anyone, then it shouldn't matter your personal positions on any issues. If there is evidence that it was more than just giving those things away, they wanted to politic or give them out for their votes, then that should be addressed in those cases. I'm fine with the caveat that people doing these things should be doing it without any evidence of political influence, must wear politically neutral clothing, have no identifying info about them when doing it. Just don't ban it out right. The law, as it stands, is basically thought policing, "well they may want to try to influence the election in doing this, even if there is no evidence that is their purpose". That is thought police.

The bluejeans and beer party strikes again.
I live in the South and grew up in the South and I was listening to XM yesterday and a comedian was doing a bit that I'd never heard which had a short segment about politics where he said something like…

"I get nervous when the rednecks are happy. When that happens what usually follows is centuries of us saying 'I'm sorry'".

So long as no one can tell why you are giving it out and you offer or give to anyone, then it shouldn't matter your personal positions on any issues. If there is evidence that it was more than just giving those things away, they wanted to politic or give them out for their votes, then that should be addressed in those cases. I'm fine with the caveat that people doing these things should be doing it without any evidence of political influence, must wear politically neutral clothing, have no identifying info about them when doing it. Just don't ban it out right. The law, as it stands, is basically thought policing, "well they may want to try to influence the election in doing this, even if there is no evidence that is their purpose". That is thought police.
Eh. I'm good with banning blanket interactions rather than having to force poll workers or judges to sift through accusations of "but he was wearing a button" or "but she used politically loaded language without specifically naming a candidate". As OP points out, it's hardly as if someone delivering you a bottle of water for free after purchasing it in bulk themselves is the only way Americans can access drinkable water.

No - it demonstrates that they don't, actually, think those rules are racist voter suppression jim crow laws.

But, by the time the law actually passed, the Narrative was Set, and, in these stupid, stupid times, Tribal Narrative is more important than facts, so....... :(

Instead of relying on tge racial elements, how about the partisan concerns. This law was obviously a result of the disaster that was Trump's loss. Something must be done to keep this from ever happening again, right. Fraud, my ass. There has always been fraud and there hasn't been a convincing argument that the level of fraud was so massive that it was that much beyond what doubtlessly occurred in 2016. But did they do this in 2017 or 2013? Nope. Because they didn't lose then. This would not have been passed if Trump had won Georgia.

Do you support rigging election laws in your party's favor? Is it OK if Republicans do it, but evil if Democrats do?

Instead of relying on tge racial elements, how about the partisan concerns. This law was obviously a result of the disaster that was Trump's loss. Something must be done to keep this from ever happening again, right. Fraud, my ass. There has always been fraud and there hasn't been a convincing argument that the level of fraud was so massive that it was that much beyond what doubtlessly occurred in 2016. But did they do this in 2017 or 2013? Nope. Because they didn't lose then. This would not have been passed if Trump had won Georgia.

Do you support rigging election laws in your party's favor? Is it OK if Republicans do it, but evil if Democrats do?
As I said before, I don't think variations of "But it's different when we do it" compelling or convincing.

Would we likely have gotten it without the post-2020 conflict over Georgia's election. Probably not. Republicans chose to believe in widespread fantasy rather than accept that they'd lost in Georgia in 2020. Democrats chose to believe in widespread fantasy rather than accept that they'd lost in Georgia in 2018. As a result of both sides' leaders telling them not to trust Georgia's electoral system target than just admitting they freaking lost, it makes sense that trust in that system would be pretty low.

However, the measures passed are pretty anodyne, and I find the freak out and lies about them from Democrats to be another iteration of choosing-widespread-fantasy for partisan reasons. So, I called Stacey Abrams out as a liar, I called Trump out as a liar, and I'm going to call out the "This Is Jim Crow Because The Other Tribe Is The Baddies And It's Different When We Do It" crap as a lie, also. :(

Can your vote be bought for a bottle of water?

Here's a novel idea - bring a bottle of water with you if you believe you may die of thirst. 🙄

Back
Top Bottom