• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In Huge News: Governor of Georgia says "Feel Free to Order Uber Eats" to the Peasants

Eh. I'm good with banning blanket interactions rather than having to force poll workers or judges to sift through accusations of "but he was wearing a button" or "but she used politically loaded language without specifically naming a candidate". As OP points out, it's hardly as if someone delivering you a bottle of water for free after purchasing it in bulk themselves is the only way Americans can access drinkable water.
Kinda sounds like "whites only" drinking fountains. Shoulda brought water with you if you knew that, right?

Tell me something. Is giving out raffle prizes, including monetary prizes at an event designed to praise a certain political candidate electioneering or bribery?
The event itself - raffle or no raffle - would be electioneering.

I can prove that the overwhelming majority in a given precinct vote for one candidate or another, yes.

No more than you can believe the opposite is true.

No. But going to polling places not to vote but to keep people in lines that you know heavily favor your candidate is.
Yes, y'all have gerrymandered folks into all one side.

And it isn't keeping folks in line. It's facilitating them staying.

That presumes they haven't made it impossible for all eligible voters to vote in the time allowed. Which is the real underlying goal.

I can prove that the overwhelming majority in a given precinct vote for one candidate or another, yes.

No more than you can believe the opposite is true.

No. But going to polling places not to vote but to keep people in lines that you know heavily favor your candidate is.
You can prove that the overwhelming majority of votes went to a candidate, but can you prove that those giving out the food/drinks support that candidate and that they wouldn't give it out in an area where others overwhelmingly support the other/opposite candidate?

You haven't proven that these free food/drinks people support or oppose any candidates, nor that they didn't go to other areas that had long lines but historically would vote a different way. You have nothing but assumptions, which is thought policing.

Yes, y'all have gerrymandered folks into all one side.

And it isn't keeping folks in line. It's facilitating them staying.

That presumes they haven't made it impossible for all eligible voters to vote in the time allowed. Which is the real underlying goal.
Another person who doesn't know who "they" are. Those responsible for long lines in heavy-Democrat precints are... Democrats. Elections are managed at the local level.

The state government has provided ample early and mail-in voting opportunities making it easier to vote in Georgia than many/most other states.

The event itself - raffle or no raffle - would be electioneering.
Political rallies are not electioneering, not by themselves. You can praise any political figure even if they are running for an office, in an office, to your heart's content. But when you start offering money and other type door prizes, that would be electioneering or actually trying to buy someone's vote.

You can prove that the overwhelming majority of votes went to a candidate, but can you prove that those giving out the food/drinks support that candidate and that they wouldn't give it out in an area where others overwhelmingly support the other/opposite candidate?
No more than you can prove the opposite. I already answered this.

You haven't proven that these free food/drinks people support or oppose any candidates, nor that they didn't go to other areas that had long lines but historically would vote a different way. You have nothing but assumptions, which is thought policing.
That's all anyone has.

Another person who doesn't know who "they" are. Those responsible for long lines in heavy-Democrat precints are... Democrats. Elections are managed at the local level.

The state government has provided ample early and mail-in voting opportunities making it easier to vote in Georgia than many/most other states.
So we're supposed to believe this fast tracked legislation made it easier to vote in Georgia? When Republicans can't win when turnout is high?

Why does that sound like bullshit?

Not how it works. If states do not allow mail in voting options or no excuse absentee ballots, then you get long lines. But no, Georgia has not provided ample opportunity to vote for all people, since many people work during many of the same hours that are open for voting and not everyone is able to jump through the hoops required to vote by mail in Georgia.

No more than you can prove the opposite. I already answered this.

That's all anyone has.
I don't have to prove the opposite. You are making the charge that they are doing something based on their biased. You are unable to prove that is the case. Therefore, you are basing your charge on your assumptions, thought policing.

Laws should not be based on what people could possibly be doing, but what you have evidence they actually are doing, and enforcement should only be based on that evidence, not potential.

Political rallies are not electioneering, not by themselves. You can praise any political figure even if they are running for an office, in an office, to your heart's content.
Of course they are.

Electioneering is the process by which political groups convince voters to cast ballots for or against particular candidates, parties, or issues (such as ballot issues, school board budgets, or referendums).

Of course they are.

Electioneering is the process by which political groups convince voters to cast ballots for or against particular candidates, parties, or issues (such as ballot issues, school board budgets, or referendums).
Is it illegal electioneering? Is it breaking laws? It was pretty obvious from context the point of that question.

I don't have to prove the opposite. You are making the charge that they are doing something based on their biased. You are unable to prove that is the case. Therefore, you are basing your charge on your assumptions, thought policing.
Yes, while you are assuming that people are simply going to places with long lines and handing out free food and water. So what?

Laws should not be based on what people could possibly be doing, but what you have evidence they actually are doing, and enforcement should only be based on that evidence, not potential.
I don't see why. We do it all the time.

Is it illegal electioneering? Is it breaking laws? It was pretty obvious from context the point of that question.
Again, the raffle is irrelevant. If the rally is close to a polling place it is illegal electioneering. If it's not, it's probably legal - not sure what you're trying to get at.

Yes, while you are assuming that people are simply going to places with long lines and handing out free food and water. So what?

I don't see why. We do it all the time.
Your view gets people charged with a crime, is attempting to justify making something like this a crime, while mine doesn't. That is the difference. You are essentially looking for reasons to get people into trouble.

Like what? What crimes are there and what significance of harm/threat do those crimes hold based on "well someone might do this", particularly when in relation to that crime itself not really being a significant problem even if it did happen?

Again, the raffle is irrelevant. If the rally is close go a polling place it is illegal electioneering. If it's not, it's probably legal. You can't of course make entering the raffle contingent on voting.
The raffle is very relevant, as a raffle would be paying people to listen to a rally.

What is the difference then if you give them pizza right before they vote or $100 the night before at a neutral place? You can't prove either way that either person voted. Heck, some people were getting into trouble for giving gifts to people who they helped vote. They didn't pay them to vote for any certain politician.

If you think the new law encourages Black voters I'd be glad to hear your explanation.

Why should a law be constructed specifically so as to encourage one ethnicity or another to vote?

It wouldn't just be those in the line. If someone is standing next to a table giving out food or water to the homeless, waiting to vote, that table would have to be moved away from the line, at least 25+ feet from the last person, any person in line. It is stupid.
25 whole feet.

Goodness. Obvious voter Suppression, right there. Having to walk 25 feet to get free pizza is just like Jim Crow.

I would appreciate it. I don't want to talk to people trying to sell me a candidate any more than I want to talk to people trying to sell me a car warranty.

Or georgia could expand polling locations so those long lines do not appear.
Maybe. When hundreds of thousands of people request mail in ballots, and then decide to show up to vote anyway, I'm not surprised it threw off the Localities who are in charge of that sort of thing.

Kinda sounds like "whites only" drinking fountains. Shoulda brought water with you if you knew that, right?
No. That doesn't sound anything like whites only drinking fountains whatsoever. New York's ban on food or drink being given to people in a voting line is not Jim Crow.

Not if you give one to anybody without comment. Voting should not include torture. Even little, pathetic, vote suppressing torture.

Would a small surcharge per bottle meet homeboys "uber eats" loophole?
Perhaps. If you are selling water, you are sellimg water.

But, to be clear - you think that a law that includes food and drink in the list of gifts that are banned to those in poll lines makes the state that imposes it remeniscent of Jim Crown in that it is torturing people to not let campaigns give them free stuff while they are in line?

So we're supposed to believe this fast tracked legislation made it easier to vote in Georgia? When Republicans can't win when turnout is high?

Why does that sound like bullshit?
There are many states that make it more difficult to vote than Georgia. You people are too fixated on free bottles of water to stop and think.

Perhaps. If you are selling water, you are sellimg water.

But, to be clear - you think that a law that includes food and drink in the list of gifts that are banned to those in poll lines makes the state that imposes it remeniscent of Jim Crown in that it is torturing people to not let campaigns give them free stuff while they are in line?
Doesn't New York have different problems aat election time. Cold, etc?

The whole thing is foolish. Nobody is going to vote differently because someone gave them a bottle of water.

Is it possible they're just gaming their own constituents by pretending to do something for their trump supporting voters that has no actual effect?

It can't, because it's in response to a myth. Those legislators know that its a myth.

So of it doesn't hinder eligible voters, and doesn't change anything fundamentally that will have an effect on outcomes, because there was no relevant fraud anybody can prove, what other reason could there be but political theater?

Which at the end of the day would just be playing their voters for fools, again.

There will likely be an analysis at some point, as occurred in a gerrymandering case the republicans lost, that reveals that the measures enacted just happen, totally by coincidence, to limit methods of voting that hurt them the worst in the previous election.

They have numerous priors for suppression efforts.

There are many states that make it more difficult to vote than Georgia. You people are too fixated on free bottles of water to stop and think.
So they're just putting on a show for y'all?

The election was just fine, nobody ever proved anything anywhere.

So is it just stroking your hurt feelings and won't actually affect turnout or actual ability to cast a ballot?

Or is it what it looks like: Can't beat em fair and square? Cheat!

So they're just putting on a show for y'all?

The election was just fine, nobody ever proved anything anywhere.

So is it just stroking your hurt feelings and won't actually affect turnout or actual ability to cast a ballot?

Or is it what it looks like: Can't beat em fair and square? Cheat!
How does it "affect turnout"?

Back
Top Bottom