• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In Huge News: Governor of Georgia says "Feel Free to Order Uber Eats" to the Peasants

However, if you are giving single bottles of waters to people in line the market value of that gift is the retail value of a single bottle, which is usually 1.99 plus bottle deposit.
or $.79 at any gas station. You are getting ripped off when you buy water if you think its $2/bottle

Not really -we've been discussing this thread and others how including food in the list of gifts campaigns and campaign like entities aren't allowed to disperse is actually common (Georgia actually copied their language from New York). However, telling candidates they aren't allowed to hand out pizza anymore isn't restricting voting access.

Actually it was made mandatory to all Localities that they allow people to start getting them 11 weeks in advance. Again, if you like, we can see where that stacks up against blue states, but, you're not going to like it.

This is also a misrepresentation, though likely one that was given to you. Permanent use of Drop Boxes weren't reduced - they were increased from zero, which is where they were in Georgia prior to their being thrown in at the last minute as a temporary response to COVID. Georgia had a bunch of people request absentee ballots, but then show up in person to vote. The legislature decided to make drop boxes part of the regular infrastructure going forward, but not at pandemic-panic levels.

That is true. Georgia's legislature did at the state level what Democrats in the House tried to do at the federal level, setting the stage for more conflict in the future. Localities are generally the best at understanding their own needs, and ate probably the best place to put most political decisions that effect day to day life.

However, what that didn't do is restrict voting access ;)

No - the GOP lost both Senate seats primarily because an orange carnival barker refused to accept that he'd lost the Presidency, and started a circular fitting squad within the GOP. Stacey Abrams'efforts no doubt had some impact, but, without that guy going full-stupid-rage-monkey, the GOP would have held the Senate.

I think that both sides have invested energy lying about and undercutting trust in Georgia's elections since 2018, likely resulting in a populace where significant chunks of both sides of the political aisle no longer trust their process. But I find arguments that boil down to variations of "But it's different when we do it, because they're the Baddies" unconvincing.
No that is not common at all to not allow free food and drinks to be given to voters, especially not those standing in lines. In fact, New York is the only state that has a law even similar, and that one allows "gifts" of less than $1 in value, which means economy waters (aka, Sam's Club or Kirkland water bottles) could easily be given out without violating their law. And they are looking at changing their laws because that is an old law, not brand new.

Yeah - Georgia's had campaigns and candidates handing out pizza, etc. Including "food" in "no campaigning or campaign like activities including handing out gifts to people in the polling line" was a reaction.
Evidence? One person handing out a slice of pizza at one polling place in one year isn't going to make a very strong case.

Or 25 feet from a person in line. Which, once again, means that people cannot be giving out food from a table to even homeless or just "for donations" within 25 people in a voting line, including if they even just refuse those people in line. It is a stupid law.
... I guess the homeless who choose to stand in a voting line will have to walk 26 feet, if someone is giving away free food?

The new law, as I understand it, only adds food and drinks to the list of gifts that can't be given out within 150 feet, which would mean that what you are describing is no de facto change.
If you think the new law encourages Black voters I'd be glad to hear your explanation.

... I guess the homeless who choose to stand in a voting line will have to walk 26 feet, if someone is giving away free food?
It wouldn't just be those in the line. If someone is standing next to a table giving out food or water to the homeless, waiting to vote, that table would have to be moved away from the line, at least 25+ feet from the last person, any person in line. It is stupid.

Yeah - Georgia's had campaigns and candidates handing out pizza, etc. Including "food" in "no campaigning or campaign like activities including handing out gifts to people in the polling line" was a reaction.
They (the nonprofit that this law was aimed at, not campaigns and candidates) were handing it out in 24 states in 2016, and 48 states in 2020. Guess what the only state is that claimed it was illegal? Georgia.

By the morning of Election Day, we had raised $10k and were confronted with the seemingly impossible task of spending it all before the polls closed. We recruited and trained a team of 20+ volunteers to order and coordinate the delivery of 2k+ pizzas to 100+ polling places across 24 states.

We delivered 70k+ pizzas to 3k+ polling sites across 48 states and raised $1.5m+ from 30k+ donors. We also launched a Food Truck program in response to the COVID-19 pandemic with 1m+ snacks distributed in 29 cities across 290+ truck rolling days.

And that is just one such program. No other state (besides New York, which I'm guessing is one of the 2 that they didn't serve in 2020) finds this illegal.

Prove that "campaigns and candidates" were handing it out in Georgia.

Oh look, I found one, who didn't even identify himself as a candidate.

You realize that no other state in the country has this as a real law, right? Only Georgia. Even New York would allow a free bottle of water (as long as it's not something like Evian).
And you realize that this will have no effect whatsoever on whether people vote, right?

Man. You guys must have been realllllllly pissed off at that racist, vote-suppressing, New York when you discovered Georgia got the language for that from them.

"No campaigning to include gifts within 150 get off a polling place" = "they must think of everyone as peasants". Yeesh we live in stupid times :rolleyes:
Water bottles should be fair game, like the most basic of things.

I’d rather require people like Kemp leave their position before running for another office.

Or georgia could expand polling locations so those long lines do not appear.

Because nobody has ever said "i'm only going to vote if I get a free bottle of water"
But people have said "this line is too long, I'm hot and tired of waiting, I at least need some water, you know what, forget it, I'll come back later", and left and didn't come back.

But people have said "this line is too long, I'm hot and tired of waiting, I at least need some water, you know what, forget it, I'll come back later", and left and didn't come back.
Where was this? Miami?

If you don’t live in Georgia stfu.
Thx

[/QUOTE]
Now, as we all have heard recently, Georgia just introduced a new voting law - reducing hours - and reducing ballot locations. BUT, in great and exciting news today: Governor Kemp let voters know "Feel free to buy some shit if you want".

This is a huge victory for America today. Now you can pay a poll tax to UberEats so that you don't pass out! Thank you Kemp.

Fake post.

No where in the article did he say "Feel free to buy some shit if you want". Nor is anyone required to order Ubereats to vote. Nor did Georgia introduce a new law to reduce voting hours or reduce ballot locations.

Where was this? Miami?
Seriously? Are you really going to try to claim that this doesn't happen? Have you never waited in a line before? Have you never been in a line before where you thought it wouldn't take so long, but ended up having to leave because you had to do something else?

Seriously? Are you really going to try to claim that this doesn't happen? Have you never waited in a line before? Have you never been in a line before where you thought it wouldn't take so long, but ended up having to leave because you had to do something else?
Nope. Never in my life went to vote but decided to leave because I got hot in November and nobody was handing out free water.

I have left if it was going to take too long and I had other stuff to do. Nothing a free bottle of water would fix.

Nope. Never in my life went to vote but decided to leave because I got hot in November and nobody was handing out free water.

I have left if it was going to take too long and I had other stuff to do. Nothing a free bottle of water would fix.
Doesn't just have to be voting. But I have certainly just not done something like voting (especially if it wasn't "that" important to me) because I felt I had time to do it later and it slipped my mind to come back, but had something else to do now. And I have certainly gotten out of a line to go get food or a beverage because the line was taking so long. It really is something that people do. And people trying to discourage that type of situation should not be illegal, especially since there are no other states in the country that make it illegal. It is ridiculous.

Doesn't just have to be voting. But I have certainly just not done something like voting (especially if it wasn't "that" important to me) because I felt I had time to do it later and it slipped my mind to come back, but had something else to do now. And I have certainly gotten out of a line to go get food or a beverage because the line was taking so long. It really is something that people do. And people trying to discourage that type of situation should not be illegal, especially since there are no other states in the country that make it illegal. It is ridiculous.
If you're running around to blue voting areas only and bribing people to stay in line (or get in line) for free food and beverages, isn't that passive form of electioneering?

If you're running around to blue voting areas only and bribing people to stay in line (or get in line) for free food and beverages, isn't that passive form of electioneering?
Running around to blue voting areas only? Can you prove that all people in any voting are vote for a certain side? Can you prove that any of these groups are only willing to go to those areas that are "blue" rather than any areas that have demonstrably long waiting lines to vote?

But no, it is not passive electioneering. They are giving the food out to people whether they are or continue to stand in line to vote. If you tell the person in front of you that you are hungry or thirsty and they say they have an extra bottle of water or an extra candy bar, is that electioneering because otherwise you may have left that line? This is ridiculous and it is petty.

Tell me something. Is giving out raffle prizes, including monetary prizes at an event designed to praise a certain political candidate electioneering or bribery?

If you are buying water in that kind of bulk to hand out forgivingly to people in pool liners, it strikes me, you are probably campaigning which is what the law is meant to stop :-/
Not if you give one to anybody without comment. Voting should not include torture. Even little, pathetic, vote suppressing torture.

Would a small surcharge per bottle meet homeboys "uber eats" loophole?

Running around to blue voting areas only? Can you prove that all people in any voting are vote for a certain side?
I can prove that the overwhelming majority in a given precinct vote for one candidate or another, yes.

Can you prove that any of these groups are only willing to go to those areas that are "blue" rather than any areas that have demonstrably long waiting lines to vote?
No more than you can believe the opposite is true.

If you tell the person in front of you that you are hungry or thirsty and they say they have an extra bottle of water or an extra candy bar, is that electioneering because otherwise you may have left that line? This is ridiculous and it is petty.
No. But going to polling places not to vote but to keep people in lines that you know heavily favor your candidate is.

Back
Top Bottom