• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Immigrants speaking English: Why do you care, anyway?

As someone who translates a lot, I find it most frustrating when I have to do it when we have to go to a doctor or call for help, like the police. It's just frustrating because someone has to be there to translate, if they don't have a translator there how are they going to report what exactly the pain is or how someone just hit their car and left. Don't get me wrong, I really don't mind it at all and I do it to help but I feel helpless for them that if it's an emergency and there is no translator they are not getting anywhere and something bad could happen.
This kind of goes back to the fact that having a poor grasp of English harms those who don't know English very well more than it harms anyone else. Fortunately, more hospitals and other institutions are making a point to employ translators to avoid the sort of problems that you fear. Hopefully, the people that you translate for will encounter these organizations should they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation.

Back
Top Bottom