• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Illegitimate "National Sovereignty"

Cochise

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
There’s a debate to be had about immigration both legal and illegal, but I’ve grown sick of hearing claims that the U.S. government simply have the absolute right to exclude Mexican illegal immigrants or the Mexican government the right to exclude Guatemalan illegal immigrants for whatever reason when all American governments are ruling over territory that was unjustly acquired.

Sorry. The state’s administration simply do not have the ethical authority to declare national sovereignty over any territory in the Americas, since the territory was gained through forcible and fraudulent aggression against the indigenous residents.

There needs to be evidence that immigration restrictions lead to more desirable consequences than their absence would for us to accept them, and that still would not constitute acknowledgment of an absolute right of the state’s regime over that territory. But it’s nothing more than reckless audacity for possessors of stolen property to claim that they have the absolute right to restrict the entry of indigenous migrants when the cause of their poverty and movement is the same sort of theft committed just to the south by another group of bandits.

Interesting.
I really don't know of many places on earth that has not been taken over by a different race or religious group. Humans do that. I disagree that the US was created unjustly.

Are you proposing open borders? If so is this to be applied to all countries or just the US? And guess the US then should do away with the reservations and open them up.

Interesting.
I really don't know of many places on earth that has not been taken over by a different race or religious group. Humans do that.

I'm all too aware of that. But that isn't a moral justification. It's descriptive, not prescriptive. And if there was anyone that wanted to seriously argue that force/fraud was a legitimate means of acquisition, why would they care at all what illegal immigrants do? Why is the "invasion" so objectionable if we've already established that it's acceptable for some people?

I disagree that the US was created unjustly.

A good deal of current U.S. national territory is based on injustice. Fraudulent and oft-violated treaties, with the regular use of open and overt force, does not constitute just creation. This isn't just about the U.S. either. The same is true in any other American country. The same is probably true in every country and "sovereign territory" in the world; that's how far-reaching the implications of this are.

Are you proposing open borders? If so is this to be applied to all countries or just the US? And guess the US then should do away with the reservations and open them up.

In terms of actual feasibility, territory and resources can't be "returned" to Native Americans. Times have changed, and while I mockingly told Partisan that the consistent application of his logic would mandate the repatriation of whites to Europe, that would obviously be ethically unacceptable in reality. I actually think we need to judge policies by their consequences, or the effects they have for all people involved, without national or racial bias. But I don't honor or respect some kind of uber-nationalist screaming about *his* land being invaded. It's not his. It never was.

I'm all too aware of that. But that isn't a moral justification. It's descriptive, not prescriptive. And if there was anyone that wanted to seriously argue that force/fraud was a legitimate means of acquisition, why would they care at all what illegal immigrants do? Why is the "invasion" so objectionable if we've already established that it's acceptable for some people?
Its objectionalble because I can't just move to wherever the illegals came from. Laws are not equal everywhere. guess then its ok for me to just move onto reservation land up around chinle. You wouldn't object?

A good deal of current U.S. national territory is based on injustice. Fraudulent and oft-violated treaties, with the regular use of open and overt force, does not constitute just creation. This isn't just about the U.S. either. The same is true in any other American country. The same is probably true in every country and "sovereign territory" in the world; that's how far-reaching the implications of this are.

This is human nature. The strong at times take from the weak.

In terms of actual feasibility, territory and resources can't be "returned" to Native Americans. Times have changed, and while I mockingly told Partisan that the consistent application of his logic would mandate the repatriation of whites to Europe, that would obviously be ethically unacceptable in reality. I actually think we need to judge policies by their consequences, or the effects they have for all people involved, without national or racial bias. But I don't honor or respect some kind of uber-nationalist screaming about *his* land being invaded. It's not his. It never was.

You cannot tell me that native american tribes didn't take territory from other tribes. I doubt you can prove who was hear in what is American first. Civilizations come and go. Countries get taken over. Humans do that. The strong survive.

I will agree that this planet/land is not ours and never was.

Its objectionalble because I can't just move to wherever the illegals came from.

I've just said that the governments of those territories are similarly at fault, so why is that an issue? Do you realize that the government of Mexico is primarily composed of upper class whites that discriminate against Indians, such as Mayan immigrants from Guatemala?

Laws are not equal everywhere. guess then its ok for me to just move onto reservation land up around chinle. You wouldn't object?

I'm not a Navajo, so it wouldn't particularly matter if I objected. But if the Navajo Nation objected, it would probably be relevant, since you don't have a right to Navajo land. If currently disenfranchised Pueblo communities approached the Navajo Nation and alleged that past Navajo aggression had contributed to the current poor conditions of the Pueblo, that would be relevant.

This is human nature. The strong at times take from the weak.

You cannot tell me that native american tribes didn't take territory from other tribes. I doubt you can prove who was hear in what is American first. Civilizations come and go. Countries get taken over. Humans do that. The strong survive.

I will agree that this planet/land is not ours and never was.

You're still not distinguishing between the descriptive and the prescriptive, running into what's called the "is-ought problem" in ethics. That humans do regularly commit aggression against each other is obvious; whether this is moral is a very distinct issue. And frankly, I've never been sure exactly why everyone becomes a social Darwinist when it comes to historical disputes, except that they ended up profiting from them in the present.

But if it's just that simple, why should anyone object to illegal immigration even if it is an "alien invasion," as alarmists describe it? If it's just a natural phenomenon of the strong taking from the weak, why is it objectionable?

Illegal immigration is objectionable because it is against the laws of that country. Same reason you stated that the Navajo nation would object to me (white) moving onto "their" land.

You debate in circles. If I follow you, the Navajos (for example) don't own the land. It was never theirs in the first place. Why would they object to me just migrating in.

I am not going to try to justify what happended in the past. IMO we have a right to defend what is defined as "our" countries borders. As a nation we have a "right" to say who and how someone can come into the country. We also have a right to adjust our policies and laws as our country evolves. So do other countries have these rights.

Illegal immigration is objectionable because it is against the laws of that country. Same reason you stated that the Navajo nation would object to me (white) moving onto "their" land.

Morality isn't based on the law, unless racial discrimination was moral while Jim Crow laws were in place.

You debate in circles. If I follow you, the Navajos (for example) don't own the land. It was never theirs in the first place. Why would they object to me just migrating in.

They have not caused any current disenfranchisement through their sovereign ownership of reservation territory. If the Pueblo were demanding reparations because the common ancestors of the Navajo and the Apache raided their communities in the fourteenth century, and this clearly interfered with their current property rights (such as a Hopi land claim on the Navajo reservation, for example), I would support that reparation. But that's not so clear-cut, whereas the theft of Amerindian land by U.S. governments such as the Jackson administration is very obvious.

Also, are you under the impression that the Navajo reservation is racially segregated? It's not.

I am not going to try to justify what happended in the past. IMO we have a right to defend what is defined as "our" countries borders. As a nation we have a "right" to say who and how someone can come into the country. We also have a right to adjust our policies and laws as our country evolves. So do other countries have these rights.

Those are all assertions, not arguments. Why should modern U.S. borders be "defended" if they were established through aggression against the indigenous peoples of America? Why should modern Mexican or Guatemalan or Honduran borders be defended if they were established through aggression against the indigenous peoples of America? I'm sure that this applies to many other countries that were founded through land theft that causes current disenfranchisement for the victims' descendants, but it is in America where this is most significant, since the colonizers of these continents never left, unlike those of Africa and Asia.

Morality isn't based on the law, unless racial discrimination was moral while Jim Crow laws were in place.

They have not caused any current disenfranchisement through their sovereign ownership of reservation territory. If the Pueblo were demanding reparations because the common ancestors of the Navajo and the Apache raided their communities in the fourteenth century, and this clearly interfered with their current property rights (such as a Hopi land claim on the Navajo reservation, for example), I would support that reparation. But that's not so clear-cut, whereas the theft of Amerindian land by U.S. governments such as the Jackson administration is very obvious.

Also, are you under the impression that the Navajo reservation is racially segregated? It's not.

Those are all assertions, not arguments. Why should modern U.S. borders be "defended" if they were established through aggression against the indigenous peoples of America? Why should modern Mexican or Guatemalan or Honduran borders be defended if they were established through aggression against the indigenous peoples of America? I'm sure that this applies to many other countries that were founded through land theft that causes current disenfranchisement for the victims' descendants, but it is in America where this is most significant, since the colonizers of these continents never left, unlike those of Africa and Asia.

Prove to me that the (for example: Navajo, Hopi, any tribe) that they were the first people on the land and they never took anyone elses land.

Your stance is based on feelings and not reality. I owe nobody anything, except to live by the laws that govern the country I am in.
This disenfrachisement stance is not logical. Sorry you don't like the way history has played out.

There’s a debate to be had about immigration both legal and illegal, but I’ve grown sick of hearing claims that the U.S. government simply have the absolute right to exclude Mexican illegal immigrants or the Mexican government the right to exclude Guatemalan illegal immigrants for whatever reason when all American governments are ruling over territory that was unjustly acquired.

#1 what law are you pointing to that targets only Mexicans?

#2 Where are you getting this BS that the land was unjustly acquired?

In Texas you got your ass kicked out after treating your own citizens like dirt.

The Southwest border region was bought from Mexico. so where is the injustice you are ranting about?

Sorry. The state’s administration simply do not have the ethical authority to declare national sovereignty over any territory in the Americas, since the territory was gained through forcible and fraudulent aggression against the indigenous residents.

You mean through war? Sorry, thats life, get used to it.

There needs to be evidence that immigration restrictions lead to more desirable consequences than their absence would for us to accept them, and that still would not constitute acknowledgment of an absolute right of the state’s regime over that territory. But it’s nothing more than reckless audacity for possessors of stolen property to claim that they have the absolute right to restrict the entry of indigenous migrants when the cause of their poverty and movement is the same sort of theft committed just to the south by another group of bandits.

The arrogance you are displaying is truly amazing. To pretend all illegals are Mexicans displays an incredible lack of the facts.

I do not believe for a second that all Hispanics agree that illegal immigration is acceptable.

Prove to me that the (for example: Navajo, Hopi, any tribe) that they were the first people on the land and they never took anyone elses land.

Firstly, not all indigenous groups were "tribes." There were several regional entities that could reasonably be called "states." Secondly, I already responded that the Navajo and Apache and their common ancestors stole land and resources from Pueblo communities. I said that if this interfered with current private property rights of the Pueblo, they were entitled to reparation. It's simply that it's far more clear-cut that current ownership by the U.S. government interferes with all sorts of indigenous private property rights.

Your stance is based on feelings and not reality. I owe nobody anything, except to live by the laws that govern the country I am in. This disenfrachisement stance is not logical. Sorry you don't like the way history has played out.

These are more assertions, not counterarguments to my statements. It's very easy to simply contradict me; it's more difficult to actually refute my statements.

disagreement-hierarchy.jpg

This is the issue, one last time: Territory in the Americas, including the United States, was generally acquired through aggression involving a combination of fraud and open force. How then do the governments established through that aggression have the moral authority to declare absolute sovereignty over any of that territory?

Don't get me wrong. If it can be proven that restricting immigration has more desirable consequences for all involved than decriminalizing border crossing does, I'd be in favor of it. I just want a paradigm shift from "this is our land, we decide who goes in and out!" (false), to "let's consider this rationally based on the consequences."

#1 what law are you pointing to that targets only Mexicans?

I mentioned no such thing. It would be impossible to target "only Mexicans" based on racial profiling, since Mexicans are a national group, not a racial group. But while we're on the topic, the Arizona law will be focused on the oldest inhabitants of the region.

Indians and Mestizos in the Americas

Trini's people have been here since before there were six flags flying over Texas. Her grandparents were Cherokee and Mexican Indians who liked to eat on the floor and asked to be buried in a mountain when they died--the Indian way.

Trini's skin is as brown and red as the earth. She looks like she's always been here. And at age 72, she can't remember a time when her relatives weren't here. Though she was born in these parts, she doesn't speak English well, and cannot read nor write.

In other words, Trini would be a prime suspect for la migra--border patrol agents who constantly search for "illegal aliens"--even hundreds of miles from any border. If Congress has its way and adopts a national ID card for everyone, it is people like Trini who will be constantly asked to produce it.

In a great irony of U.S. history, the true natives of this land have become the immigrants. People who can trace their ancestry back the farthest are stopped and questioned because "they look Hispanic"--meaning they look Indian.

Did you know that a substantial number of Indians in the U.S. Southwest have Spanish surnames and adopted Catholicism because of the Spanish colonization centuries past? I'll right hook the first idiot who asks if I'm an "illegal."

#2 Where are you getting this BS that the land was unjustly acquired?

The usual pattern was the passage of a fraudulent and quickly violated treaty signed under military duress, followed by open and brutal violence against resisters who opposed ceding their territory. Ever heard of Sand Creek, Colorado?

Sand Creek Massacre@Everything2.com

After the firing the warriors put the squaws and children together, and surrounded them to protect them. I saw five squaws under a bank for shelter. When troops came up to them they ran out and showed their persons, to let the soldiers know they were squaws and begged for mercy, but the soldiers shot them all.... There were some thirty or forty squaws collected in a hole for protection; they sent out a little girl about six years old with a white flag on a stick; she had not proceeded but a few steps when she was shot and killed. All the squaws in that hole were afterwards killed, and four or five bucks outside. The squaws offered no resistance. Every one I saw dead was scalped. I saw one squaw cut open with an unborn child, as I thought, lying by her side. Captain Soule afterwards told me that such was the fact.... I saw quite a number of infants in arms killed with their mothers.

All manner of depredations were inflicted on their persons, they were scalped, their brains knocked out; the men used their knives, ripped open women, clubbed little children, knocked them in the head with their guns, beat their brains out, mutilated their bodies in every sense of the word...worse mutilated than any I ever saw before, the women all cut to pieces.... [C]hildren two or three months old; all ages lying there, from sucking infants up to warriors.

In going over the battle-ground the next day I did not see a body of a man, woman, or child but was scalped, and in many instances their bodies were mutilated in the most horrible manner—men, women, and children's privates cut out, &c. I heard one man say he had cut out a woman's private parts and had them for exhibition on a stick; I heard another man say that he had cut the fingers off an Indian to get rings off his hand.... I also heard of numerous instances in which men had cut out the private parts of females and stretched them over the saddle-bows, and wore them over their hats while riding in the ranks.... I heard one man say he had cut a squaw's heart out, and had stuck it on a stick.

Far be it from me to condemn violent massacre and genital and other bodily mutilation as a form of unjust acquisition, of course. ;)

In Texas you got your ass kicked out after treating your own citizens like dirt.

Why not actually read the comments that you're replying to instead of regurgitating pre-programmed responses? I haven't mentioned your laughable "reconquista" idea; I've mentioned the fact that American territory (in all American countries, not just the U.S.!), was unjustly acquired through a combination of force and fraud. Incidentally, that includes Mexico, which is the basis for the Indian insurrections in the south of that country.

The Southwest border region was bought from Mexico. so where is the injustice you are ranting about?

"Mexico"? The territory of the Southwest has never belonged to Mexico; it was unjustly acquired by the Spanish, and then "governed" by those of Spanish descent in the Mexican government after their revolution. It was not their land to sell any more than Napoleon had the right to sell the Louisiana Territory.

You mean through war? Sorry, thats life, get used to it.

Hahaha! Then stop complaining about the "illegal alien invasion." That's life; get used to it. Why should we care any more if *your* land is "stolen" when your ancestors stole it from the indigenous peoples of the Southwest?

The arrogance you are displaying is truly amazing. To pretend all illegals are Mexicans displays an incredible lack of the facts.

The majority of illegal immigrants are Indians from Mexico and Central America. But U.S. administrators do not have the ethical authority to expel them, since the U.S. and the remainder of American territory were gained through aggression against the indigenous population.

I do not believe for a second that all Hispanics agree that illegal immigration is acceptable.

Who even mentioned "Hispanics"? As explained in the exchange that you abandoned and never returned to, Hispanics are not a race. My focus is on Indians.

Becasue we won. Thah this why.

Becasue we won. Thah this why.

"We"? I don't think you did anything. As Goshin says, it's your long-dead ancestors who are responsible...and honestly, it's unlikely that any personal kin in your direct line was involved.

If I beat you up and rob you, can I keep the proceeds, since I was stronger and was able to win? Or will you finally realize the difference between what's descriptive and prescriptive, and are you not a social Darwinist when it comes to individual social relations rather than a "clash of civilizations"?

Lastly, why do you care if illegal immigrants come and "steal" from people in the U.S.? If they can take it, as they are, shouldn't it be theirs, according to your reasoning?

"We"? I don't think you did anything. As Goshin says, it's your long-dead ancestors who are responsible...and honestly, it's unlikely that any personal kin in your direct line was involved.

If I beat you up and rob you, can I keep the proceeds, since I was stronger and was able to win? Or will you finally realize the difference between what's descriptive and prescriptive, and are you not a social Darwinist when it comes to individual social relations rather than a "clash of civilizations"?

Lastly, why do you care if illegal immigrants come and "steal" from people in the U.S.? If they can take it, as they are, shouldn't it be theirs, according to your reasoning?

Here is the issue as I see it. Who's morals are you basing your question on. Morals of 200 years ago, todays morals. To add more confusion what population are you asking about. IMO, morals change over time and with differnt people.

I'll admit, what is a social darwinist? What are you trying to get at with descriptive and prescriptive? Guess your more up on this than me.

Your example of beating up and robby applies to an individual. Here is my take. If a country had no laws against it. Guess you could beat someone up and keep the spoils. If a country had laws against it, the act would be against the law.

Here is the issue as I see it. Who's morals are you basing your question on. Morals of 200 years ago, todays morals. To add more confusion what population are you asking about. IMO, morals change over time and with differnt people.

The indigenous peoples of the Americas were opponents of their unjust dispossession, I can assure you. Theft and genocide are generally not looked upon kindly in any society or civilization. And the important issue is that there are modern consequences as a result of these past practices.

I'll admit, what is a social darwinist? What are you trying to get at with descriptive and prescriptive? Guess your more up on this than me.

Is?ought problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In meta-ethics, the is-ought problem was articulated by David Hume (Scottish philosopher and historian, 1711–1776), who noted that many writers make claims about what ought to be on the basis of statements about what is. However, there seems to be a significant difference between descriptive statements (about what is) and prescriptive or normative statements (about what ought to be)."

Your statements commit that fallacy; territory and resources were forcibly or fraudulently taken, but since they were able to be taken, their acquisition was moral. My question to you is why it's then immoral for me to rob you, as well as why it's objectionable for illegal immigrants to "invade" the U.S. if it's possible for them to "take" it.

Your example of beating up and robby applies to an individual. Here is my take. If a country had no laws against it. Guess you could beat someone up and keep the spoils. If a country had laws against it, the act would be against the law.

You think morals are dependent on the law? Again, what does that say for slavery and segregation in the United States? What does it say for the persecution of political dissidents in the Soviet Union? All that was fine and ethical, since it was in line with what the law was?

You know, I was about to give a lengthy dissertation on the nature of First World nations and my beliefs regarding shared hallucinations and perception management, and then something occurred to me.

I think you're trying to get the usual suspects to blow you off, justifying the events that formed this nation as it stands today by basically saying "well, everybody does it, lol," so that you can point out how hypocritical it is for Americans to fear and demonize illegal immigrants.

Bravo!

The indigenous peoples of the Americas were opponents of their unjust dispossession, I can assure you. Theft and genocide are generally not looked upon kindly in any society or civilization. And the important issue is that there are modern consequences as a result of these past practices.

Is?ought problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In meta-ethics, the is-ought problem was articulated by David Hume (Scottish philosopher and historian, 1711–1776), who noted that many writers make claims about what ought to be on the basis of statements about what is. However, there seems to be a significant difference between descriptive statements (about what is) and prescriptive or normative statements (about what ought to be)."

Your statements commit that fallacy; territory and resources were forcibly or fraudulently taken, but since they were able to be taken, their acquisition was moral. My question to you is why it's then immoral for me to rob you, as well as why it's objectionable for illegal immigrants to "invade" the U.S. if it's possible for them to "take" it.

You think morals are dependent on the law? Again, what does that say for slavery and segregation in the United States? What does it say for the persecution of political dissidents in the Soviet Union? All that was fine and ethical, since it was in line with what the law was?

I've done nothing wrong. Have you?
Do you disagee that at one time slavery was accepted in the world. Things change and it became unexceptable.

One again, I do not feel it is morally wrong to protect our country. Who are you to say what is moral or not.?

Are you playing the sins of the father falls on the son bit.

The Native Americans that were deprived of their land are all dead. Those who killed Native Americans or forced them off their land are all dead. It's tragic, but it happened. We should look at it and learn from it so it never happens again, but no one alive today is responsible for what happened.

I've done nothing wrong. Have you?
Do you disagee that at one time slavery was accepted in the world. Things change and it became unexceptable.

You're inaccurately confusing descriptive moral relativism with prescriptive moral relativism. Slavery was always immoral because it violated persons' rights to liberty and self-ownership.

One again, I do not feel it is morally wrong to protect our country. Who are you to say what is moral or not.?

Why is "your country" worthy of "protection" when it was established through aggression against others, those that came before?

Are you playing the sins of the father falls on the son bit.

If property stolen by the father becomes the inheritance of the son, it does not belong to him, regardless of his lack of personal complicity in the theft. Not a difficult concept to understand.

Either you were born here or you weren't. What's so hard to understand about that.

European colonists certainly weren't born here. Why not repatriate their descendants if that's the game you want to play?

noamnesty_large.jpg

But that's not what I want; I don't favor the repatriation/expulsion of anyone merely based on declarations of sovereignty. It's simply that the U.S. government is in a particularly disadvantageous position to be making statements about "their" land when "their" ancestors gained it through aggression and theft. So let's not even focus on that; let's focus the debate on the actual consequences of immigration.

You're inaccurately confusing descriptive moral relativism with prescriptive moral relativism. Slavery was always immoral because it violated persons' rights to liberty and self-ownership.

Why is "your country" worthy of "protection" when it was established through aggression against others, those that came before?

If property stolen by the father becomes the inheritance of the son, it does not belong to him, regardless of his lack of personal complicity in the theft. Not a difficult concept to understand.

European colonists certainly weren't born here. Why not repatriate their descendants if that's the game you want to play?

noamnesty_large.jpg

But that's not what I want; I don't favor the repatriation/expulsion of anyone merely based on declarations of sovereignty. It's simply that the U.S. government is in a particularly disadvantageous position to be making statements about "their" land when "their" ancestors gained it through aggression and theft. So let's not even focus on that; let's focus the debate on the actual consequences of immigration.

imo, yiou are not living in the real word. I just don't agree with you. I did like your joke about pilgrams.
I'll make my final statement on this. No one is entitled to anything on earth because there was always something their befor. :rofl

IMO the US was created no diffirent than any other country. Those in power make the rules.

Last edited:

What you are arguing is if someones great great great great great grandfather stole someone's property.So that analogy of yours is irrelevant.

European colonists certainly weren't born here.

Neither are the Mexicans and other people trying to come here illegally.Everybody's ancestors at one point in time were immigrants.

Why not repatriate their descendants if that's the game you want to play?

Where did he say anything about repatriating descendants?

I do not see how that is relevant to today. I was born here, the illegal was not.

noamnesty_large.jpg

Native Americans are not native to north America. They are immigrants from Mongolia across the Bering Strait. Maybe they should be repatriated to thier native Mongolia if thats the game you wanna play.

To the victor go the spoils of war. In 1846 at the treaty of Guadalupe Hildogo the United States purchased land from Mexico for $15 million dollars. The US won the Mexican American war. We did not have to pay Mexico a damn thing. But we did. The land known by Mexicans as Aztlan or el Norte (California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, and part of Colorado and New Mexico) is part of the United States now and has been since 1846. If asked to I will give my life if necessary fighting another Mexican American war to protect it.

The United States also won the Indian wars. I suggest you get over it. To the victor go the spoils of war. This is how its allways been. When Indian tribes fought each other in wars the victors kept thier enimies women, ponies, and sometimes territory.

Last edited:
I mentioned no such thing. It would be impossible to target "only Mexicans" based on racial profiling, since Mexicans are a national group, not a racial group. But while we're on the topic, the Arizona law will be focused on the oldest inhabitants of the region.

Your own words:

but I’ve grown sick of hearing claims that the U.S. government simply have the absolute right to exclude Mexican illegal immigrants

Whoops! Next time be more careful.

Did you know that a substantial number of Indians in the U.S. Southwest have Spanish surnames and adopted Catholicism because of the Spanish colonization centuries past?

NO! You mean Gonzales isn't an Aztec name? :rofl

I'll right hook the first idiot who asks if I'm an "illegal."

Are you an illegal?

The usual pattern was the passage of a fraudulent and quickly violated treaty signed under military duress, followed by open and brutal violence against resisters who opposed ceding their territory. Ever heard of Sand Creek, Colorado?

Far be it from me to condemn violent massacre and genital and other bodily mutilation as a form of unjust acquisition, of course. ;)

Actually I have. Ever heard of little big horn? How about the Salt Creek Massacre?

This fantasy land you live in must be fantastic. Only evil whitey ever committed murder in the old west. :roll:

Why not actually read the comments that you're replying to instead of regurgitating pre-programmed responses? I haven't mentioned your laughable "reconquista" idea;

Of course you wouldn't because you can't defend it. I got that a while back.

I've mentioned the fact that American territory (in all American countries, not just the U.S.!), was unjustly acquired through a combination of force and fraud. Incidentally, that includes Mexico, which is the basis for the Indian insurrections in the south of that country. Mexico"? The territory of the Southwest has never belonged to Mexico; it was unjustly acquired by the Spanish, and then "governed" by those of Spanish descent in the Mexican government after their revolution. It was not their land to sell any more than Napoleon had the right to sell the Louisiana Territory.

You need a brush up lesson on Pancho Villa amigo. Take a look, Spain was thrown out by the people of Mexico.

Mexico sold that land as a free nation. Your inability to understand that is staggering.

Hahaha! Then stop complaining about the "illegal alien invasion."

Never used those words. Try actually reading what I say before embarassing yourself.

That's life; get used to it. Why should we care any more if *your* land is "stolen" when your ancestors stole it from the indigenous peoples of the Southwest?

Where are you getting this dribble? I never once said Mexicans are stealing land. Is this what you do when you're getting your ass handed to you? Making up facts?

The majority of illegal immigrants are Indians from Mexico and Central America.

Thanks for the newsflash :rofl

But U.S. administrators do not have the ethical authority to expel them, since the U.S. and the remainder of American territory were gained through aggression against the indigenous population.

So you're pissed because your ancestors got their ass handed to them by whitey so you support illegal immigration as payback.

You are a full fledged member of Reconquista. Thank you for finally being honest.

Who even mentioned "Hispanics"? As explained in the exchange that you abandoned and never returned to, Hispanics are not a race. My focus is on Indians.

You mean native Americans? :rofl

Indians are from India. Break open a history book sometime.

Native Americans are not native to north America. They are immigrants from Mongolia across the Bering Strait. Maybe they should be repatriated to thier native Mongolia if thats the game you wanna play.

To the victor go the spoils of war. In 1846 at the treaty of Guadalupe Hildogo the United States purchased land from Mexico for $15 million dollars. The US won the Mexican American war. We did not have to pay Mexico a damn thing. But we did. The land known by Mexicans as Aztlan or el Norte (California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, and part of Colorado and New Mexico) is part of the United States now and has been since 1846. If asked to I will give my life if necessary fighting another Mexican American war to protect it.

The United States also won the Indian wars. I suggest you get over it. To the victor go the spoils of war. This is how its allways been. When Indian tribes fought each other in wars the victors kept thier enimies women, ponies, and sometimes territory.

He's just another Reconquista nut. Its painfully obvious now.

The Native Americans that were deprived of their land are all dead. Those who killed Native Americans or forced them off their land are all dead. It's tragic, but it happened. We should look at it and learn from it so it never happens again, but no one alive today is responsible for what happened.

Please try to be a sober asparagus and read the thread more carefully, as this point has been covered several times. Personal complicity is not a necessary condition of possession of stolen property. As I’ve put it in another thread, if Joe steals John's property and passes it down to his grandson Jim, that hardly changes the fact that it is the rightful inheritance of John's grandson Jones, regardless of the fact that Jim didn't steal anything. That he's in possession of stolen property is the issue.

imo, yiou are not living in the real word. I just don't agree with you. I did like your joke about pilgrams.
I'll make my final statement on this. No one is entitled to anything on earth because there was always something their befor. :rofl

IMO the US was created no diffirent than any other country. Those in power make the rules.

You repeat the same assertions over and over again, contradicting me repeatedly, but never actually providing counterarguments to my statements. Everything you’ve said has already been addressed by me, but unsurprisingly enough, others are now entering the thread and parroting the same talking points. It’s time to deal with them, in that case.

What you are arguing is if someones great great great great great grandfather stole someone's property.So that analogy of yours is irrelevant.

It’s certainly not irrelevant if land and resource thefts of centuries past influence the conditions of people in the present because of their lack of access to those lands and resources. In the case of Mexican and Central American immigrants, it was the invasion of their ancestors’ territories by the Spanish and oppression and disenfranchisement of their ancestors that caused their current poverty and need for immigration. European destruction of Native American societies is the common link between us. It’s why Russell Means went to Nicaragua to fight alongside the Miskito.

Neither are the Mexicans and other people trying to come here illegally.Everybody's ancestors at one point in time were immigrants.

At least Mexican immigrants have a closer relationship to the territory of the United States than Europeans do; they are generally Native Americans, unlike the entirely foreign Europeans. We see Indians that underwent the same unjust dispossession and disenfranchisement that the peoples of the United States underwent, and because of their geographical proximity and shared Spanish influence, we of the Southwest are more attuned to our affinities than most people are.

But you’re still missing the point. The heritage of current immigrants is actually irrelevant to the issue. If there were a high proportion of Martians entering the Southwest and the greater United States, U.S. administrative officials would still not have a leg to stand on in protesting the unapproved entry of “their” land.

It’s simply very interesting that the current immigrants happen to be of indigenous groups that underwent a parallel experience of unjust dispossession and exploitation by Europeans in the Spanish and Mexican governments, just as the Indians of the U.S. Southwest did for several centuries.

Where did he say anything about repatriating descendants?

It’s the logical consequence of the consistent application of your ideas, since Europeans are illegal aliens…

Why should we honor the legitimacy of their anchor babies?

I do not see how that is relevant to today. I was born here, the illegal was not.

I’ll sooner honor a fellow Indian than a European anchor baby.

Neither are Europeans native to Europe; they are ultimately native to Africa, as all humans are. But since I’m not advocating the repatriation of anyone, you’re not “giving me a taste of my own medicine.” That’s what I’m doing.

You can involve yourself in whatever intra-colonial feud between the U.S. and Mexican governments that you want. The treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo involves the cessation by the Mexican government of territory that did not belong to them to begin with. It was territory gained by them and their predecessors in Spain through the same aggression that the British used to the east.

I have made two central points in regard to this viewpoint in this thread. They are as follows:

1. If we have established that social Darwinism is an acceptable mechanism of human social relations, would you object to me assaulting and robbing you? Would you object to the abolition of laws that prohibit assault and robbery? If so, what is the reason for your inconsistency?

2. Why should anyone object to the unrestricted flow of immigrants across borders, since it’s simply a matter of spoils going to the victors and those with the ability to take what they want simply taking it? If it’s actually a matter of an “alien invasion,” as many allege, why is that objectionable? That seems no different than the way that U.S. territory was acquired to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom