• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

If you Could go Back in Time???

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
If you could go back in time would you save Jesus Christ from getting crucified? Why or why not? If yes, then how would this effect the spread of Christanity throughout Europe?

Also, would you assassinate Adolf Hitler and stop the Nazi regime in Germany? Why or why not? If yes, then how would this effect the World War II era?

Last edited:

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
No on both counts. Time is...a complex thing. I dont have any way of knowing that doing something that may seem like a good idea at the time may trigger something even worse.

digsbe

Truth will set you free
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
No, I would not save Jesus from being crucified because it was his choice, and without it sin could not be atoned for. We would all be doomed to hell. If anything I would prevent the Church from becoming a theocracy in Europe and a tainted form of Christianity that did not follow the teachings of Christ.

And yes, I would assassinate hitler if I had the opportunity too.

youknowwho

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
And yes, I would assassinate hitler if I had the opportunity too.
what if someone rose to power from the nazi party and didn't commit strategical mistakes hitler made and actually won the war?

assassinating hitler doesn't necessarily mean less casualties or no war. it might have led to worst scenarios.

youknowwho

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
If you could go back in time would you save Jesus Christ from getting crucified? Why or why not? If yes, then how would this effect the spread of Christanity throughout Europe?

Also, would you assassinate Adolf Hitler and stop the Nazi regime in Germany? Why or why not? If yes, then how would this effect the World War II era?
I would have gone to talk with hitler and try to change his mind when he was young. then someone should have done the same with stalin, or we would still have a problem!

digsbe

Truth will set you free
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
what if someone rose to power from the nazi party and didn't commit strategical mistakes hitler made and actually won the war?

assassinating hitler doesn't necessarily mean less casualties or no war. it might have led to worst scenarios.
This is also true. I guess I would take whatever action within my power that would save the most innocent lives possible.

TacticalEvilDan

Shankmasta Killa
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
No, but I would've talked him into nailing Mary Magdeline.

I don't think killing Hitler would've stopped anything. He was a product of the times, not the other way around.

SingleCellOrganism

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
^ i agree, killing Hitler wouldn't necessary stop WW2 from happening. WW2 was really a product of social problems in Germany stemming from the Treaty of Versailles, bad management and tremendous debt; Hitler was merely the figurehead of the movement (with a crazy side). Someone else would have likely taken his place, maybe not with his charisma but similar ideals and policies.

Also, there were people behind the scenes pushing WW2 forward (well, conspiracy theories at least, some involve Bush's grandfather) ... if that is true then Hitler was absolutely not instrumental in WW2 happening since these groups wanted it to go down anyway.

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
What would our Planet be like now had someone stopped Jesus from getting crucified?

First Thought

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
For me, time is an obstacle to be transcended, not traveled. If you transcend the illusion of time, everything happens simultaneously.

rathi

Count Smackula
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Who knows if the world would actually be a better place with Hitler gone? Imagine if the the next world war had been delayed a few decades, and nuclear weapons had been invented in the interim? I rather think the world has turned out okay, and even with the hideous loss of life it was worth the cost.

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Do you all think Christanity would even exsist today had someone stepped in and saved Jesus Christ from getting crucified? I mean would that not kinda ruin the whole concept?

Josie

No Day But Today
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
What would our Planet be like now had someone stopped Jesus from getting crucified?
I believe He would've been sacrificed at another time or another way because that was the plan.

samsmart

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

If I could turn back time, if I could find a way, I'd take back those words that hurt you and you'd stay...

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
If I could turn back time, if I could find a way, I'd take back those words that hurt you and you'd stay...
Could you try to be serious?

Orion

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It would be hard to go back and save Jesus, considering it probably never happened. As for Hitler... I would go a step further, and go back to post-WWI, burn the proposed Treaty of Versailles, and maybe help them come up with a better plan. Other than that, the 1930's are the last place I'd want to travel to, and ancient Jerusalem? No thanks!

It could be somewhat amusing to go back to a slightly more primitive time, use our 2010 technology to position myself as God, and then live luxuriously for the rest of my days.

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I think, if one went back very far in time, one would have to pretend to be a feeble-minded deaf-mute, at least for a little while, until one got a feeling for how to act and talk.
Otherwise, one might risk making some petty faux pas that would result in one being lynched or burned at the stake.

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I think, if one went back very far in time, one would have to pretend to be a feeble-minded deaf-mute, at least for a little while, until one got a feeling for how to act and talk.
Otherwise, one might risk making some petty faux pas that would result in one being lynched or burned at the stake.
Which is actually pretty likely. Depending how far you went back, even just the fact that you were clean with all your teeth would be a giveaway

tacomancer

Big Scary Liberal
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
It would probably be more efficient to assassinate some of hitler's better minions and let the incompetent ones live.

spud_meister

Veni, vidi, dormivi!
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
It would probably be more efficient to assassinate some of hitler's better minions and let the incompetent ones live.
That's a good idea, if Shlieffen, Moltke, Rommel and Goebbels were all killed, the war'd probably have been a lot shorter.

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Which is actually pretty likely. Depending how far you went back, even just the fact that you were clean with all your teeth would be a giveaway
Tattoos would be another.

samsmart

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Could you try to be serious?
You want me to be serious about using time travel to stop Christ from being crucified and using time travel to kill Hitler?

Seriously?

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
And you report me for getting offtopic in threads.

Top Bottom