• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If the 2nd Amendment goes away....

Do guns become illegal to own if the 2nd is abolished?

• Total voters

Phoenix

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
If the 2nd amendment was repealed tomorrow, would guns become illegal to own?

of course not. first the federal government would actually have to have a law passed making them illegal

secondly, the states would do the same thing. The federal government's use of the commerce clause is becoming less and less respected.

With JUST the repeal in and of itself? No. Unless of course some state or other has laws on the books that are dormant like many do with abortion if Roe v Wade were to ever be struck down.

However without the 2nd Amendment it would open up the ability of the federal government to enact law that would most certainly ban most, if not all, guns. They might let ya keep your single shot rifles.

With JUST the repeal in and of itself? No. Unless of course some state or other has laws on the books that are dormant like many do with abortion if Roe v Wade were to ever be struck down.

However without the 2nd Amendment it would open up the ability of the federal government to enact law that would most certainly ban most, if not all, guns. They might let ya keep your single shot rifles.
I doubt congress would do that.

So If if the BoR isn't a guarantee of a right but a reiteration of the rights already guaranteed wouldn't your statement be incorrect?

I doubt congress would do that.

Not immediately no. I'd give it 50 years though before it became a reality. Though if it were repealed there would no doubt be some that would try immediately. They'd fail. But over time they would succeed.

So If if the BoR isn't a guarantee of a right but a reiteration of the rights already guaranteed wouldn't your statement be incorrect?

The BoR's is supposed to be a guarantee, unfortunately it is, in the end, just words on a piece of paper. Nothing in reality says that a government can't try and suppress Rights.

The 2A isn't ever going away, so what exactly is the point of borrowing more hate and discontent by pretending that it might?

A mass gun ban is a fiscal impossibility, and not only that but it's also guaranteed to be even less successful that the war on drugs. And it would simply drive guns underground, just like booze in the Prohibition Era.

A mass gun ban is a fiscal impossibility, and not only that but it's also guaranteed to be even less successful that the war on drugs. And it would simply drive guns underground, just like booze in the Prohibition Era.

No doubt true. But it didn't stop them from enacting drug bans did it?

but that is what the left wants=they aren't worried about stopping crime but punishing gun owners for our votes. they want to make it impossible for people to enjoy using guns in currently lawful ways

Not automatically.If you live in a Anti-2nd amendment state or city then they answer is yes. And eventually the politicians from those states will push for a national ban because they would claim that guns are leaking into their states from the states where guns are legal.

I think it's an interesting case study. I've asked other places (with theoretically younger people) and the response was more yes than no.
Also if the 2nd is repealed (not that I actually think it will happen, in my lifetime anyway) and this opens the way to more stringent gun laws, was Madison right? Should we have skipped on the Bill of Rights because it focuses on a few freedoms instead of being free to do anything we want? or was he wrong and we needed the protection and that is the only reason we still have guns to this day?

Why is it that the ONLY people talking about a repeal are those who fear it....no one else even considers it.

Why is it that the ONLY people talking about a repeal are those who fear it....no one else even considers it.

No, there are quite a few who are calling for it. Most significantly:

Repeal the Second Amendment - The New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/opinion/repeat-repeal-second-amendment.html
Feb 16, 2018 - A fix to the Constitution would remove a barrier to real change.

Opinion | Repeal the Second Amendment - The New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/opinion/guns-second-amendment-nra.html
Oct 5, 2017 - I have never understood the conservative fetish for the Second Amendment. From a law-and-order standpoint, more guns means more murder. “States with higher rates of gun ownership had disproportionately large numbers of deaths from firearm-related homicides,” noted one exhaustive 2013 study in the ...

Opinion | John Paul Stevens: Repeal the Second Amendment - The ...
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/.../john-paul-stevens-repeal-second-amendment.html
Mar 26, 2018 - This weekend's marches make it clear: To enact real gun control, we need to change the Constitution.

In additional to the rabid left, who somehow feel justified in their ripping rights away from others. Rather Fascist of them, from my view.

Because you have to keep the fear alive to power up the base. Paranoia gets votes

so when a retired US Supreme Court justice calls for repealing the second amendment in the sense of it being withdrawn for private citizens, that is "no one considers it"

The second amendment being repealed has about the same odds as Jerry Brown turning into a republican.

Ask the people who are allowed to own guns in other countries without their own version of a 2nd Amendment.

Many countries have bans on firearms, but still allow hunting, sport shooting, collecting, etc.

Ask the people who are allowed to own guns in other countries without their own version of a 2nd Amendment.

You mean like "responsible" gun owners in other countries?!

Screw that. I prefer that my Second Amendment Right hinge on the lowest denominator, who has been diagnosed as a schizophrenic and has the Right to abuse and destroy my Right. Cuz...dur...America and freedom and Theodore Nugent and Jesus.

It's with a bit of shame that my twenty years and six months of Active Duty Service as a Marine gets to be claimed by an uneducated and undeserved piece of our society.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom