• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If Obama wins

Bobcat

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Can the GOP survive?

Comments---------

he wont win.. but our country will be quickly sliding toward France and the USA that was the world beacon will be gone and all freedom loving people will be in peril.. the Jihad will go into a more active and violent period..

the GOP will survive as Liberalism is a failure

I would am more worried about whether the country can survive. It has been said that the country can survive Obama, but not an electorate that would give him a second term. Orwell did a good job of describing the situation in Animal Farm.

I would am more worried about whether the country can survive. It has been said that the country can survive Obama, but not an electorate that would give him a second term. Orwell did a good job of describing the situation in Animal Farm.

Yes, thats the bottom line, a country that would give a failure like obama a second term is probably too stupid to survive.

But my question is on the republican party. If Romney cannot beat obama will the GOP die off and be replaced by some combination of conservative and tea party people? I think thats a real possibility.

Can the GOP survive?

Comments---------

According to Rush, no.

If they continue as they are I think they are doomed. But politicians are all about self preservation. They will change before they let themselves die out. I think if they stop emphasizing the social conservatism aspects and become more libertarian they will stop losing so many people and will attract more independent voters.

he wont win..

Travis, I love you man. You got that whole "if I believe it hard enough and keep saying it over and over it will become reality". You must have read The Secret. ;)

Can the GOP survive?

Comments---------

I don't think the GOP will not survive if it continues to cater to the radical right. There are a lot of the old style conservatives that do not like the way the party is going. Many of them have spoken out about it and some have changed to the democratic party. While the GOP is moving further right, the Dems are moving closer to the center. The tea party movement has done a lot of damage to the GOP, and they refuse to compromise in order to get any bill passed. Government doesn't function that way. One party can't hold up progress by demanding it be their way or the highway for too long. That is why this congress' approval rating has been in the single digits. The people don't like an obstructionist congress.

he wont win.. but our country will be quickly sliding toward France and the USA that was the world beacon will be gone and all freedom loving people will be in peril.. the Jihad will go into a more active and violent period..

the GOP will survive as Liberalism is a failure

All freedom loving people will not be in peril. The freedom loving people in this country have survived a lot worse than what we are facing.
In order to stop any possible Jihad, the Christian right needs to stop burning korans and talking trash about Muslims on their radio and TV shows. That would be a big step toward peace along religious lines. There is no reason to inflame an already bad situation. I am so tired of the radical right using fear tactics for political gain.

According to Rush, no.

If they continue as they are I think they are doomed. But politicians are all about self preservation. They will change before they let themselves die out. I think if they stop emphasizing the social conservatism aspects and become more libertarian they will stop losing so many people and will attract more independent voters.

I agree. If they do it right I could even see myself voting for them. However they'd have to take a position of economic fairness and stop groveling at the feet of the rich, I don't think that will ever happen.

Can the GOP survive?

Comments---------

If Obama wins, I'm not concerned with the GOP's survival. I'm concerned with the country's survival.

I don't think the GOP will not survive if it continues to cater to the radical right. There are a lot of the old style conservatives that do not like the way the party is going. Many of them have spoken out about it and some have changed to the democratic party. While the GOP is moving further right, the Dems are moving closer to the center. The tea party movement has done a lot of damage to the GOP, and they refuse to compromise in order to get any bill passed. Government doesn't function that way. One party can't hold up progress by demanding it be their way or the highway for too long. That is why this congress' approval rating has been in the single digits. The people don't like an obstructionist congress.
After watching the democratic convention how can any one say thery are moving to the center? They pandered to the abortion lobby, booed the inclusion of God in the party platform and while claiming the republicans were waging a war on women the dems turned to an accused rapist to deliver their nominating speech.

Travis, I love you man. You got that whole "if I believe it hard enough and keep saying it over and over it will become reality". You must have read The Secret. ;)

NO I didnt read that..but I just finished "its me God , Margaret" by Judy Bloom...: )

love you too bro...

Can the GOP survive?

Comments---------

Of course they will survive. This is not the end of the world, it's an election. I predict that whom ever wins come January the economy will start to rebound and businesses will start hiring. This was a deep recession but we will recover. I've seen this before in my many years of living. This is still a great country. We will survive.

After watching the democratic convention how can any one say thery are moving to the center? They pandered to the abortion lobby, booed the inclusion of God in the party platform and while claiming the republicans were waging a war on women the dems turned to an accused rapist to deliver their nominating speech.

First of all, they didn't boo the inclusion of God in the party platform. I watch the video. They were split on the vote. The republicans have proposed big brother government get involved in women's health issues. I would call this waging war on women. The GOP has spent more time trying to ban abortion without exceptions and baning birth control than it has in trying to improve the economy. Several female Republicans have spoken out against the bills the GOP is trying to impose on women. The DNC showed a lot of inclusion. I would say that is moving to the center.
I have NO idea who you are talking about when you said something about an accused rapist.
Clearly, you are thinking with your emotions and not using rational thoughts. Your post is too full of emotional rants.

Of course they will survive. This is not the end of the world, it's an election. I predict that whom ever wins come January the economy will start to rebound and businesses will start hiring. This was a deep recession but we will recover. I've seen this before in my many years of living. This is still a great country. We will survive.

Yes it is, and you are right. This country will rebound as it has many times in the past from situations much worse than this one.

I don't think the GOP will not survive if it continues to cater to the radical right.

You must be an english or liberal arts major, eh?

The social wing of the GOP needs to go. Fiscal conservatism is a winning argument to the majority of the electorate. Social conservatism turns off more people than it garners and is a horrible optic every election.

First of all, they didn't boo the inclusion of God in the party platform. I watch the video. They were split on the vote. The republicans have proposed big brother government get involved in women's health issues. I would call this waging war on women. The GOP has spent more time trying to ban abortion without exceptions and baning birth control than it has in trying to improve the economy. Several female Republicans have spoken out against the bills the GOP is trying to impose on women. The DNC showed a lot of inclusion. I would say that is moving to the center.
I have NO idea who you are talking about when you said something about an accused rapist.
Clearly, you are thinking with your emotions and not using rational thoughts. Your post is too full of emotional rants.

Please include proof of one single instance where republicans have attempted to ban birth control.
And if you are unfamiliar with Juanita Broderick's rape claim against Bill Clinton please read the link and educate yourself. What is more pathetic than the "party of women's rights" using an accused rapist to nominate their president at their convention? what could be more extreme?
********************************************************************************
Juanita Broaddrick told her story to a national television audience last night, saying she did not tell authorities 21 years ago of her contention that Bill Clinton sexually assaulted her because "I just don't think anyone would have believed me."

In a gripping account punctuated by sobs, the Arkansas woman told "Dateline NBC" that in her Little Rock hotel room, Clinton suddenly "turned me around and started kissing me, and that was a real shock. I first pushed him away. I just told him 'no.' . . . He tries to kiss me again. He starts biting on my lip. . . . And then he forced me down on the bed. I just was very frightened. I tried to get away from him. I told him 'no.' . . . He wouldn't listen to me."
Pressed by Myers as to whether she was raped, Broaddrick said she had been. "It was not consensual," she insisted. As for her feelings now toward the president, Broaddrick said: "My hatred for him is overwhelming."
Washingtonpost.com Special Report: Clinton Accused

Please include proof of one single instance where republicans have attempted to ban birth control.
And if you are unfamiliar with Juanita Broderick's rape claim against Bill Clinton please read the link and educate yourself. What is more pathetic than the "party of women's rights" using an accused rapist to nominate their president at their convention? what could be more extreme?
********************************************************************************
Juanita Broaddrick told her story to a national television audience last night, saying she did not tell authorities 21 years ago of her contention that Bill Clinton sexually assaulted her because "I just don't think anyone would have believed me."

In a gripping account punctuated by sobs, the Arkansas woman told "Dateline NBC" that in her Little Rock hotel room, Clinton suddenly "turned me around and started kissing me, and that was a real shock. I first pushed him away. I just told him 'no.' . . . He tries to kiss me again. He starts biting on my lip. . . . And then he forced me down on the bed. I just was very frightened. I tried to get away from him. I told him 'no.' . . . He wouldn't listen to me."
Pressed by Myers as to whether she was raped, Broaddrick said she had been. "It was not consensual," she insisted. As for her feelings now toward the president, Broaddrick said: "My hatred for him is overwhelming."

So did you also take as gospel the claims of multiple women that they were harassed by Herman Cain or were you among the crowd who called them "gold diggers" and asked why they waited so long to tell their stories?

Can the GOP survive?

Comments---------

Did the Democrats survive after Bush and the Republican control of congress? There's an odd knee jerk reaction in the human brain that assumes that how things are is how things will always be. No matter how often history proves that strategy lacking people will continue to behave in this way again and again.

Did the Democrats survive after Bush and the Republican control of congress? There's an odd knee jerk reaction in the human brain that assumes that how things are is how things will always be. No matter how often history proves that strategy lacking people will continue to behave in this way again and again.

Sure. But every now and then parties do die and they do shift their positions so much they little resemble their previous forms. Aren't we due for that happening again? :)

Sure. But every now and then parties do die and they do shift their positions so much they little resemble their previous forms. Aren't we due for that happening again? :)

In my lifetime that's already happened three times. There was the Republican Party before Reagan, the Republican party after Reagan, and the Republican party after the Tea Party revolution. You could probably say that the albeit temporary neoconservative movement with Bush W. constituted yet another shift.

But yeah, everything is in motion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/u...-ban-nearly-all-abortions.html?pagewanted=all

The amendment in Mississippi would ban virtually all abortions, including those resulting from rape or incest. It would bar some birth control methods, including IUDs and “morning-after pills,” which prevent fertilized eggs from implanting in the uterus. It would also outlaw the destruction of embryos created in laboratories.

As for an accusation of rape, that doesn’t make someone a rapist. There would need to be a conviction for that. I can’t say if the woman’s story is true or not, but I do know that if Clinton was not convicted of rape, he isn’t a rapist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/u...-ban-nearly-all-abortions.html?pagewanted=all

The amendment in Mississippi would ban virtually all abortions, including those resulting from rape or incest. It would bar some birth control methods, including IUDs and “morning-after pills,” which prevent fertilized eggs from implanting in the uterus. It would also outlaw the destruction of embryos created in laboratories.

As for an accusation of rape, that doesn’t make someone a rapist. There would need to be a conviction for that. I can’t say if the woman’s story is true or not, but I do know that if Clinton was not convicted of rape, he isn’t a rapist.

If the majority of voters in Miss vote for that amendment, then it represents the will of the people. If you don't like it, move to another state.

Back
Top Bottom