• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If gun control worked Mexico would be crime free [W:1235:1274]*****************

Re: If gun control worked Mexico would be crime free

All the difference in the world... It determines whether we are a free people or whether we are slaves to our government...

And why not?

Semantics. They could not do so under the 14th amendment

That was done with compelling interest. The same would be required to revoke a drivers license for people with a last name starting with A.

So you said earlier that the government can't revoke those licenses, but now you are admitting that the government very well can revoke them?

So you said earlier that the government can't revoke those licenses, but now you are admitting that the government very well can revoke them?

They can revoke them with compelling interest. Any right can be denied currently if the government can show compelling interest

It is again another attempt by the pro gun group to insinuate that the opposition only wants to ban guns in order to stop crime. Where as guns are not the cause of crime. Banning them will not stop crime.
So enlighten me. Of the opposition doesn't want to ban guns to stop crime, why do they want to ban guns?

No.. everyone no matter where they live.. in essence has the right to bear arms. its just that in our country.. we protect that right.. in the UK they do not.... Essentially the UK government violates the peoples rights when it comes to firearms.

Not as far as their concerned, but that's their business.

What I see is how you are dancing around the fact that "Free Speech" is not unlimited just like the second amendment is not unlimited.

We have free speech in this country, but is it a good idea to cuss out a judge?

You're dancing.

You didn't point out how anything at all is either limited or unlimited. You made a clumsy attempt to equate sanctions that might arise out of an action with prior restraint of exercising a right.

I've a couple of philosophical issues to discuss regarding rights, and a previous correspondent here doesn't wish to participate. Obviously, this is a open forum, and anyone could join in to our conversation, but I thought I'd start a new to so as not to exclude anyone due to undue politeness.

Let's propose a citizen in a country who is enjoying a right. One fine day part of the government tells him, sorry, we've decided that you no longer have that right, as rights are only grants by the government - we don't believe in natural rights so we're perfectly empowered to take this one away.

However, a second part of the government says, no, natural rights actually do exist, and according to a long standing agreement with our citizens, you don't have the power to take away natural rights.

Does the citizen indeed retain the right?

Part two. Whether one believes in natural rights, divine rights or rights purely as a structure of governmental permission, we know from various writings that the Framers did indeed believe in inherent rights, disagreeing somewhat as to whether the origin was natural or divine in origin, but agreeing that the rights did actually exist. On that basis the entire Constitution and Bill of Rights was create and adopted, and the Constitution and BOR have been the basis for our government for going on 250 years. Every single legislator that joins the government swears an oath to uphold and protect the Constitution. Given that the Constitution and BOR are entirely dependent upon the existence of natural rights, and the government consists of people who either believe this to be true, or lied during their oath, can any action of anyone in the government that seeks to restrict a right be considered an infringement on a natural right rather than the government simply withdrawing recognition of a granted right, as the government only has the power enumerated in the Constitution, which makes no mention of a power to remove a granted right?

All I did was give you the opinion you requested.

So is that your way of saying you cannot prove that natural rights exist outside of a willful belief?

Didn't you just get done saying you couldn't describe why slavery is wrong outside of your own, personal willful belief?

I have to say I don't much care for that idea. I mean...damn...you might change your mind tomorrow and decide that slavery is okay just as arbitrarily as you decided it was wrong today.

Now myself, I think it would be better to....oh....I dunno....maybe have a normative framework with which to approach such questions.

I've a couple of philosophical issues to discuss regarding rights, and a previous correspondent here doesn't wish to participate. Obviously, this is a open forum, and anyone could join in to our conversation, but I thought I'd start a new to so as not to exclude anyone due to undue politeness.

Let's propose a citizen in a country who is enjoying a right. One fine day part of the government tells him, sorry, we've decided that you no longer have that right, as rights are only grants by the government - we don't believe in natural rights so we're perfectly empowered to take this one away.

However, a second part of the government says, no, natural rights actually do exist, and according to a long standing agreement with our citizens, you don't have the power to take away natural rights.

Part two. Whether one believes in natural rights, divine rights or rights purely as a structure of governmental permission, we know from various writings that the Framers did indeed believe in inherent rights, disagreeing somewhat as to whether the origin was natural or divine in origin, but agreeing that the rights did actually exist. On that basis the entire Constitution and Bill of Rights was create and adopted, and the Constitution and BOR have been the basis for our government for going on 250 years. Every single legislator that joins the government swears an oath to uphold and protect the Constitution. Given that the Constitution and BOR are entirely dependent upon the existence of natural rights, and the government consists of people who either believe this to be true, or lied during their oath, can any action of anyone in the government that seeks to restrict a right be considered an infringement on a natural right rather than the government simply withdrawing recognition of a granted right, as the government only has the power enumerated in the Constitution, which makes no mention of a power to remove a granted right?

I would say that if someone doesn't have a moral framework that allows them to make independent judgements about right or wrong, then they certainly wouldn't be concerned about swearing a false oath or tearing up and dancing upon constitutions and such if those are what would suit their pragmatic desires.

Part 1. It depends which part of the government you are talking about. If SCOTUS says you don't have that right then you don't. If the Treasury Department says you do then you still don't.

Part 2. Original intent has no meaning. The government can restrict a right if it has a compelling interest to do so.

And none of my opinions change the reality that slaves did not have rights.

Not by law they didn't, but as we all know, I assume we all know this, the law is not infallible.

I'll answer. Yes its a bad thing...in MY opinion. So is the Patriots winning the super bowl again. LOL

Nope, Im quite sure the Eagles will take it.

False. I cannot prove that something that does not exist does in fact not exist.

Sure you can. I can claim that I don't keep a pink elephant in my backyard. How would I prove it? I would ask you to come to my back yard and you would see that there is no pink elephant. So there you have it, I just proved that something that doesn't exist doesn't exist.

Are you familiar with prior constraint? You seem to be comparing exercising free speech in an unwise or illegal manner with owning an AR15. I possess the ability to use my uncontrained ability to speak, but should be prepared to suffer to consequences should I misuse that ability and right. Only then does the government punish me, or prevent me from exercising that right through incarceration should the offense be egregious enough. You however want the government to take away my right to own an AR15, preventing me from exercising my 2A rights with that firearm by using it in lawful and safe ways.

Nope: it's proving that "rights" are limited by public safety.

Would someone tell the master debate champion he's engaging in an argument to ridicule?

Yeah; you're supposed to prove these fanciful ideas that you have...

(cough)

That's how the debate thing works, remember?

Irrelevant. You accused a poster of being of a particular political bent. You don't get to decide. You can say that he sounds like "whatever", but unless you're sharing his brain you can't know unequivocally. He even responded nprupight away to correct you.

Very relevant. Libertarians are hard right-wingers.

Read

I know exactly what I am talking about. We were talking about rights. Now.. haymarket and it appears you.. think rights come from government.

IF that was true.. no one would claim that the holocaust was a violation of human rights... since in Germany it was perfectly legal.

BUT.. regardless of what the government says... people in general know that humans have certain rights.

Rights DO come from social contracts; that does not necessarily mean "government", but it takes two to create a right: one to say it and one to observe it as such.

If rights were what you say they were we wouldn't have wars now would we.

You carry your gun in another country because you say it's your right under the second amendment and watch what happens.

they did have god given rights. That's why slavery, Jim Crow and discrimination are wrong. it was/is a violation of their rights. It was only until 1965 that the government recognized what most folks in this country already recognized.

If said rights were God given, they would have been observed as such.

That is a pathetically stupid analogy to bring into a gun rights discussion.

Now on THIS country; which is better subject, blacks didn't have ANY rights until the government said so now did they.

My err:

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
And YOU are confusing a right with a privilege... In the bolded text, you have reduced a human's "right" (unalienable, endowed by their Creator) to a "privilege" (granted and controlled by government).

unalienable, endowed by their Creator

THAT is a belief, nothing more. And as a belief we collectively decided that we wanted to enshrine that belief and live by it and create a country around it, so that is exactly what we did. BUT, as history shows US, it's only a belief of convenience.

False. Rights (as in natural rights) are not owned (controlled) by the government... Rights are owned (controlled) by individuals. Rights are not to be infringed upon by entities who do not own those rights... My right to life is owned by me, NOT the government... Wouldn't you agree?

Rights Versus Privileges

Difference between ?individual rights? and ?privileges? | Letters to the Editor | napavalleyregister.com

There are no "natural rights".

Because blacks weren't treated fairly. As awesome a country as the USA is its not perfect. That was one of the mistakes we made which hopefully we can learn from.

That's a cop out answer. If what you say is true, blacks would have instantly had what everybody else had; but we both know that what you're peddling is not true.

My point is that if the government has a registry of who owns what in terms of guns, if they were to pass an unconstitutional ban on firearms, and a ban on firearms would be unconstitutional, they would be able to seize all the guns since they know who has what. Just as they did in Australia and the UK.

Paranoid nonsense that is baseless and has not one iota of truth to back it up.

You didn't point out how anything at all is either limited or unlimited. You made a clumsy attempt to equate sanctions that might arise out of an action with prior restraint of exercising a right.

Not at all; I'm pointing out to you that no one is a libertine. And it;s that way by design.

Very relevant. Libertarians are hard right-wingers.

Read

I've read plenty, and your belief is not universal.

Back
Top Bottom