• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If Everyone Had A gun, 4th Of July Parades Would Be safe

I guess Americans are just uniquely evil then. . . :rolleyes:
Not at all. We are soft on crime, struggle with enforcing laws on the books and are afraid to address the real problems with gun crime, such as mental health and fatherless homes.

Not at all. We are soft on crime, struggle with enforcing laws on the books and are afraid to address the real problems with gun crime, such as mental health and fatherless homes.
You lock up more of your people than anyone else. Including China.

ACCEPTABLE COLLATERAL DAMAGE

The price we are willing to pay for the FREEDOM to keep and bear arms!

ACCEPTABLE COLLATERAL DAMAGE

The price we are willing to pay for the FREEDOM to keep and bear arms!

I know you are being facetious, but that is EXACTLY correct.

As pointed out over and over again, many tens, if not hundreds of millions of American citizens own firearms and do no harm.

The people who do harm fall into two categories, criminals and the mentally disturbed.

Members of those two categories tend not to obey laws and will obtain a firearm regardless of legal restrictions.

Meanwhile, as I have amply shown in other threads, there are many "good guys/gals with guns" other than law enforcement personnel who use guns for legal purposes including opposing criminals and others who seek to cause harms. The media downplays them, or refuses to report on them nationally (if at all) because they don't suit the "disarmament" narratives.

Not only that, but it is pretty lame when right wingers talk about mental health, when it is their party that defunds anything involving mental health care.

It depends on what part of the country you're in. 3 of the biggest cities have DA's or ridiculous laws where they fail to prosecute a lot of crimes, many of them violent crimes.

But I am not being facetious.
Oh, I might have been a little the first time or two I posted that, but no more.
I gave this some long hard thought and came to the conclusion that is exactly what it is.
As pointed out over and over again, many tens, if not hundreds of millions of American citizens own firearms and do no harm.
I own a bunch myself.
So far I have not done any harm with them.
The people who do harm fall into two categories, criminals and the mentally disturbed.
Everyone is full well capable of acting in a criminal fashion.
Everyone.
Some do it out of ignorance, some do it by accident, some exercise intent, and some because they are mentally disturbed.
Members of those two categories tend not to obey laws and will obtain a firearm regardless of legal restrictions.
Members of those categories of yours, as well as the ones I listed, obtain firearms because of our FREEDOM to keep and gear arms.
Meanwhile, there are many "good guys with guns" other than law enforcement personnel who use guns for legal purposes including opposing criminals and others who seek to cause harms.
There are also folks who think they are "good guys" with guns who make mistakes and end up using their guns for illegal purposes, or they get someone else, good guy with a gun, thinking the other good guy is the criminal and end up killing them, or each other.
It all circles back to ACCEPTABLE COLLATERAL DAMAGE for the FREEDOM to keep and bear arms.

It depends on what part of the country you're in. 3 of the biggest cities have DA's or ridiculous laws where they fail to prosecute a lot of crimes, many of them violent crimes.
There isn't a major city in the nation, if any city in the nation, that doesn't do such wheeling and dealing with crimes and criminals. Granted some more than others, but it is part and parcel of the American justice system in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Meanwhile, as I have amply shown in other threads, there are many "good guys/gals with guns" other than law enforcement personnel who use guns for legal purposes including opposing criminals and others who seek to cause harms. The media downplays them, or refuses to report on them nationally (if at all) because they don't suit the "disarmament" narratives.
Mentally disturbed and temporarily unstable are not the same things. We are all of us, EVERY ONE OF US capable of being temporarily unstable. Red Flag laws are fine. However they depend on those closest to someone rendered temporarily unstable to recognize it and go through the process of having guns removed from the person's possession.

Millions of Americans own firearms and do no harm. However there is simply no logical reason why they should be strapped and walking our city streets. Good guy with a gun is a joke and you would have a difficult time arguing that its the old west again and a preponderance of citizens had to be strapped for personal protection. Given the complications of the modern firearm, there is a degree of training required to learn the manual at arms for a gun and a need for continued practice to remain proficient with one...none of which in my experience many are willing to endure. They tend to buy them these days and go off half cocked, an accident waiting to happen or a temporary instability waiting to explode on either those near them or those not.

The days of the responsible gun owner are a thing of the past, done in by the gun lobby and the gun industry and the fantasies they peddle and the politicians that take their money. Any nitwit 21 year old has been able to buy a semi-automatic pistol as long as he can prove he is a resident of a state, not convicted of a felony or committed to that point. Most 18 year old nitwits can buy an AR-15 under the same circumstances. In both cases, they can now in many states walk around strapped and to what purpose may I ask? As for "opposing criminals and others who seek to cause harm" you have got to be kidding me! How often does that occur? How often does that opportunity present itself when compared to the number of suicides by gun, accidents by gun, mishaps by gun, domestic squabbles settled by gun and the temporarily unstable attacking citizens JUST BECAUSE they believe those citizens are the cause of their victimization. Add up the injury or death that results from them and then talk to me about your good guy with a gun nonsense. YOU HAVE JUST GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! But unfortunately I fear that you are not.

I will ask the same question I have asked elsewhere in this thread. What social or community service is done or. good is accomplished by allowing millions of citizens to walk around strapped? Ask Law Enforcement if they think that is a great idea.

Last edited:
Of late, the default reason for owning a gun has not been good - they are single purpose weapons good for nothing else but killing something (except maybe intimidation). I am a gun owner, but keep them under lock and key, unloaded, unless hunting or display purposes. I have participated in Civil War reenactments as I also own black powder firearms, but would never dream of bringing one out loaded. if guns were legislated off the streets, I would gladly surrender them all for the common good. It can be done.

No it can't be done, any more than legislating alcohol off the streets can be done (again).

Guns are good and criminals are bad. It's not so much an argument as a fact.

Guns are neither good or bad, they are tools which have a primary role of being used to kill things

No it can't be done, any more than legislating alcohol off the streets can be done (again).
^^^Understands we just need to realize such incidents are the inevitable acceptable price we must pay for the FREEDOM to keep and bear arms!

^^^Understands we just need to realize such incidents are the inevitable acceptable price we must pay for the FREEDOM to keep and bear arms!

How's that any different than the inevitable acceptable price we pay for the freedom to drink alcohol (aside from the fact that gun ownership is explicitly protected by the Bill of Rights, and serves an actual purpose)?

Seriously folks what better Day than the 4th of July to kill fellow citizens than the day dedicated to the slaughter of fellow colonists?

How's that any different than the inevitable acceptable price we pay for the freedom to drink alcohol (aside from the fact that gun ownership is explicitly protected by the Bill of Rights, and serves an actual purpose)?
It isn't.

So there is that.

Or not; I read what stories are available (both domestic and foreign), parse out the common info, and base my views on that. I don't even follow one party or the other (I'll vote either side or Independent if they are on the people's side), and for the most part reject most of what's said with a partisan slant or badmouthing.

Personally, I have had one close friend murdered in their home with a police issue revolver (the case was suddenly dropped when suspicion pointed towards said police officers 18yo son), and just recently (this morning) I got a text from my niece who lives in Palatine (neighbors to Highland Park), and her daughter's friend was in the parade, she spent over an hour hiding in a building waiting for the 'all clear' so they could leave. Also, I grew up 4 blocks from the Bloomington Lake Liquor Store where George Floyd was murdered, so have not lived a sheltered life either.

No one I know in my 68 years on this planet has managed to defend themselves from a criminal with a gun. I know one girl who was defended from a possible rapist by her dog - bit the guy good I guess, but other than that, myself included, have only had the option of fists or being fleet of foot to stop an attack. I do know if I were to ever commit a crime with a gun, the first person I'd aim for would be someone who looked like they had or were reaching for a gun; not many people carry their gun around in their hand, ready to use it on a moment's notice.
Yea and noone I know has never in my life been around when a mass murder happened.

So that a silly way to dismis something.

That's not true. Not even close.

Guns are evil?

Or are guns tools. If a tool what is their function, to drive nail, well yes for a nail gun, and a glue gum spreads glue. An axe is primarily used to cut wood, a gun's primary role to to shoot things

Mentally disturbed Trumper.....oxymoron time.

Guns are neither good or bad, they are tools which have a primary role of being used to kill things
Actually no. By the numbers their primary role is to show off to friends. Followed by recreational shooting and hunting.

That's not true. Not even close.
Actually, it is true. Pretty much anything can be used as a weapon. More people are killed by knives each year than by "assault rifles". This doesn't make knives bad, it makes the person using the knife bad, the same goes for guns.

Now you might not like guns, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you not liking guns doesn't change the facts.

And I will state, once again, that it would be nice if we could do away with guns, but the consequences of doing so are horrendous.

Chicago is never safe anyway.

Actually, it is true. Pretty much anything can be used as a weapon. More people are killed by knives each year than by "assault rifles". This doesn't make knives bad, it makes the person using the knife bad, the same goes for guns.

Now you might not like guns, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you not liking guns doesn't change the facts.

And I will state, once again, that it would be nice if we could do away with guns, but the consequences of doing so are horrendous.
"Pretty much anything can be used as a weapon". Now there is a logical argument for you.

You know what I would reach for without question if in a fit of temporary instability I lurched to suicide? I would without question reach for one of my semi-autos, put it in my mouth and pull the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom