• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If Everyone Had A gun, 4th Of July Parades Would Be safe

you know for all that the right talks about the necessities of Guns, which I agree on. This left is right that this stuff really only DOES happen in America. Maybe it's time to face inward on ourselves. Cultural corruption can only go so far before it reaches a tipping point.

Ahh, the old "blame the gun and not the criminal" argument. That is what is getting old.
Guns are good and criminals are bad. It's not so much an argument as a fact.
With a closet of guns myself, I was against gun legislation - but the escalating violence and aggression by gun zealots has pushed me to the other side of that fence. Been a while since I've heard any feel-good stories about guns being the saving grace in the hand of a 'good' person, but way too many innocents being gunned down.

Troll or not, I am all for the abolition of the 2nd, and will vote accordingly; I suspect more are joining the troll ranks instead of the arm-the-populace folks.

With a closet of guns myself, I was against gun legislation - but the escalating violence and aggression by gun zealots has pushed me to the other side of that fence. Been a while since I've heard any feel-good stories about guns being the saving grace in the hand of a 'good' person, but way too many innocents being gunned down.

Troll or not, I am all for the abolition of the 2nd, and will vote accordingly; I suspect more are joining the troll ranks instead of the arm-the-populace folks.
The second never gave a right to gun ownership aside from milita need.

I am so sick of this bullshit.

.......and before the predictable responses. This is a quite suburb north of Chicago. It is about as far from the inner city as one can imagine.

Do you really think its all or even mostly "criminals" that cause the gun problems we have?

Clue, its not. Its you and me. Responsable gun owners.

People who use their guns to feel more masculine. People who use their guns to threaten others. People who use their gun to resolve conflict.

With the events of the last couple of years and with world events being what they currently are, gun ownership has only increased and will likely continue in that direction.

.......and before the predictable responses. This is a quite suburb north of Chicago. It is about as far from the inner city as one can imagine.

Does not matter. This is an inner city crime problem and has nothing to do with "responsible " gun owners. 🤡

Ah, the old ignore the gun and blame the person argument. This is what is getting old.
Really? Can you show me where you've called for the abolition of car ownership due to drunk drivers? What about the removal of every man's penis because of rape? Do you blame the knife or the surgeon when someone dies on the operating table? Do you blame salt or the person that consumes so much that it kills them?

It's not the "gun zealots" that are the problem. They aren't the one's committing the overwhelming majority of the mass shootings. You do know that don't you? Don't you?

Really? Can you show me where you've called for the abolition of car ownership due to drunk drivers? What about the removal of every man's penis because of rape? Do you blame the knife or the surgeon when someone dies on the operating table? Do you blame salt or the person that consumes so much that it kills them?

I am educated. I do not reply to logical fallacies.

Truly responsible gun ownership is not the problem. It is easy access to guns of all types to people of all types. Buying and owning a gun does not make one responsible!

Guns are good, criminals are bad; that argument is getting old, especially when one can't even go to a 4th of July parade without a bullet-proof vest.

Mass shooting at Highland Park Fourth of July parade, multiple people shot
Guns are death multipliers. It's like someone with homicidal thoughts going wild as in the La Vagas shooting, 58 were killed shooting from a hotel window perch. How many were injured if he only had a knife? It is no longer the nuts and criminals around us, but the technological advantages they possess.

Condescending patronization and oblique comparisons will not ingratiate many to the thinking that a device with the sole purpose of killing is a good thing. So many of us do not even realize that Americans have been groomed into the gun culture from early childhood. The world is vastly different than it was in the Wild West, which actually had more gun laws and restrictions than there are today.

Both London U.K. and Cologne Germany recently held Pride-Month parades with over 1,000,000 revelers each and no shootings, looting, or violent protests; if they held anything similar here, it would be crowding the 4th of July killings out of the headlines.

I would say, blame the gun industry and its absurd marketing and the lobbyists that work for it and the elected officials and politicians that take their money. A gun itself is an inanimate object.

Its the ridiculous ends the gun industry will go to in order to sell more guns and the resulting number of goons walking around strapped, living some fantasy because of it.
1) "good guy with a gun' is a laughable absurdity. The number of gun accidents and outright mishaps far outweighs the number of times a legitimate "good guy with a gun" opportunity presents itself.
2) If a woman feels threatened in her environment I am fine with her carrying a gun. Lord knows we have done enough at all levels in this country to make women feel threatened, sexually and every other way. But these young guys walking around strapped. What is that about? Outside of law enforcement or the other end of law enforcement, the criminal end, what's the rational? Do they all think they are cute enough to be attacked by a gay motorcycle gang? They sure as hell don't look like inviting targets as robbery victims.

I had a young man show up visiting my daughter that was strapped. Do you know how I found out he carried a 9 millimeter into my house? I saw it sitting on a shelf in my son's bedroom. It was loaded, fortunately without one in the chamber. I am sure that DICKWAD qualifies as a "RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNER" by the standards of the gun industry and its lobbyists and THAT is the problem in a nutshell. He is not a responsible gun owner by my standards. He is a dumbass by my standards.

I am educated. I do not reply to logical fallacies.
There's nothing illogical or false about my questions at all. But I accept that your double standards exist.

Enjoy the rest of the 4th of July, brought to you by legal gun owners who stood up to tyrannical rulers.

2 dozen people to the hospital, 6 deceased, shooter has not been found.

Condescending patronization and oblique comparisons will not ingratiate many to the thinking that a device with the sole purpose of killing is a good thing. So many of us do not even realize that Americans have been groomed into the gun culture from early childhood. The world is vastly different than it was in the Wild West, which actually had more gun laws and restrictions than there are today.

Both London U.K. and Cologne Germany recently held Pride-Month parades with over 1,000,000 revelers each and no shootings, looting, or violent protests; if they held anything similar here, it would be crowding the 4th of July killings out of the headlines.
Can you show me where I said that guns are good things?

The world would be better off without guns. But I'm not going to ignore the fact that criminals will always be able to get guns, whether they are illegal or not. By calling for the abolishment of the 2nd amendment or banning guns outright, this puts law abiding citizens in danger because the criminals (those who violate the law, by definition) will still have them.

I've already pointed out that the problem isn't the guns themselves, but the people using them to commit murders and crimes. You chose to ignore that. When a gun decides on its own to just start shooting people without being in the hand of a criminal, then, and only then, would guns be the actual problem.

Can you show me where I said that guns are good things?

The world would be better off without guns. But I'm not going to ignore the fact that criminals will always be able to get guns, whether they are illegal or not. By calling for the abolishment of the 2nd amendment or banning guns outright, this puts law abiding citizens in danger because the criminals (those who violate the law, by definition) will still have them.

I've already pointed out that the problem isn't the guns themselves, but the people using them to commit murders and crimes. You chose to ignore that. When a gun decides on its own to just start shooting people without being in the hand of a criminal, then, and only then, would guns be the actual problem.
What is it about the US that makes mass murders of innocents like this so frequent? I'm not talking about gang violence or robberies I am talking about the mass murder of innocent people going about their lives at parades, movie theatres, concerts, grocery stores etc? Every country has nut cases, violent movies, single-parent families and mental illness but only the US has this terrible phenomenon. What is the only thing different than all the other western countries? Easy access to guns fostered by a deeply rooted gun culture.

There's nothing illogical or false about my questions at all. But I accept that your double standards exist.
Enjoy the rest of the 4th of July, brought to you by legal gun owners who stood up to tyrannical rulers.
Tell that to the 4th of July participants in this parade to celebrate this wonderfully patriotic country by pacing back and forth in the E.R. waiting to find out if their wives, husbands, and children will live.

I turned on the news today to see how America is celebrating the holiday - this shooting and reports of the gun carnage are dominating most every channel. Is this continued escalation of violence and killing whaat we are now about?

you know for all that the right talks about the necessities of Guns, which I agree on. This left is right that this stuff really only DOES happen in America. Maybe it's time to face inward on ourselves. Cultural corruption can only go so far before it reaches a tipping point.
"Only America has cultural corruption" is a strange take.

Back
Top Bottom