• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hurricane Season Four "Myths About Hurricanes"

Which of these "myths" do you believe in, and why or why not?

• Total voters

Captain Adverse

Classical Liberal Sage
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Well, we are dealing with the new Hurricane Season, and Florida with all sorts of issues concerning preparedeness.

But John Stossel points out 4 Myths About Hurricanes:

Here they are in short form:

1. A big storm requires Big Government (0.20 in video).

2. We need Big Government for stopping greedy businesses from raising prices: "price gouging." (1.56 in video).

3. Because of climate change Hurricanes are getting worse. (4:18 in video).

4. America must have government flood insurance. (5:20 in video).

Many people have bought into these "truths," while Mr. Stossel explains how each of these is a "myth" and why.

So, which of these "myths" do you believe in, and if so, why do you disagree with the statement that they are myths?

Government can have a role, by limiting where people can build homes,(and have them insured),
and by setting building standards. Beyond that, people like to live on the water, and that has a lot of risk.

Well, we are dealing with the new Hurricane Season, and Florida with all sorts of issues concerning preparedeness.

2. We need Big Government for stopping greedy businesses from raising prices: "price gouging." (1.56 in video).

Many people have bought into these "truths," while Mr. Stossel explains how each of these is a "myth" and why.

So, which of these "myths" do you believe in, and if so, why do you disagree with the statement that they are myths?

1: Who says "require"? There is a huge, unsubtle difference between the government is required, and the government can be helpful.

2: Same thing. While the government may not be needed, it certainly can have a roll to play.

3: Stossel has zero education in climate, weather, anything else, so his opinion is worthless.

4: Once again, there is a large difference between must have, and can be beneficial.

This OP is a perfect example of why you should avoid propaganda. If you need people to tell you what you should think, that is your problem.

It's ridiculous that conservatives claim the government should do nothing to help Americans during national disasters, until it effects them personally, then they want all the help they can get. DeSantis did the same thing. Opposed helping any Americans from disasters until his own state faced it.

1: Who says "require"? There is a huge, unsubtle difference between the government is required, and the government can be helpful.

2: Same thing. While the government may not be needed, it certainly can have a roll to play.

3: Stossel has zero education in climate, weather, anything else, so his opinion is worthless.

4: Once again, there is a large difference between must have, and can be beneficial.

This OP is a perfect example of why you should avoid propaganda. If you need people to tell you what you should think, that is your problem.
But he saw a YouTube video and clicked share, so that's all Captain has to contribute to this discussion!

It's ridiculous that conservatives claim the government should do nothing to help Americans during national disasters, until it effects them personally, then they want all the help they can get. DeSantis did the same thing. Opposed helping any Americans from disasters until his own state faced it.

But he saw a YouTube video and clicked share, so that's all Captain has to contribute to this discussion!

Hypocrisy is all that conservatives have. They are the type of people who think they should be able to get insurance after they realize that they need it.

Hmmm.
Now what do all those things have in common?
What purpose do they serve?
Who's ultimate goal is advantaged.
If you answered "citizens"
1664976765474.png

Climate change is making Hurricanes worse.
The question is human activity affecting climate change?
Historically, climate change is occurring 10 times faster than ever before, with industrialization being the most likely culprit.

absolutely no empirical evidence to back this up. This was actually a mild season.like they say about weather and real estate :
"location location location" is what matters

Climate change is making Hurricanes worse.

Kinda sorta. Climate change is making, in the long term, globally, more hurricanes/typhoons than normal, but it is really hard to quantify and impossible to claim climate change caused any particular hurricane, or effected its intensity, or even the number and severity for any season. It is important to not overstate things, as people will latch onto that overstatement to discount the greater point kinda thing.

absolutely no empirical evidence to back this up. This was actually a mild season.like they say about weather and real estate :
"location location location" is what matters
Still 2 months left of hurricane season. The potential is still there that it could be a rough season overall. Impossible to say.

Kinda sorta. Climate change is making, in the long term, globally, more hurricanes/typhoons than normal, but it is really hard to quantify and impossible to claim climate change caused any particular hurricane, or effected its intensity, or even the number and severity for any season. It is important to not overstate things, as people will latch onto that overstatement to discount the greater point kinda thing.
im not sure if your data is correct;
but say the earth is warming.. is it because of a solar intensity increase ? or because it's man made?

im not sure if your data is correct;
but say the earth is warming.. is it because of a solar intensity increase ? or because it's man made?
Yes. There are a large number of factors, natural and manmade that are contributing to the warming. We know that the planet is getting hotter(we can measure this), and we have a very good idea of the causes, and a rough idea how much each of those causes is contributing. It is however a massively complex system, so while we can say "man made effects are significantly contributing to global warming", that is about as accurate as we can get.

So the answer to your question is that it is both, and more.

As hurricanes pass over, they absorb more moisture, leading to heavier rainfall. Warmer waters linked to climate change also increase the storms' wind speed, and can cause hurricanes to undergo so-called “rapid intensification” more often.

As hurricanes pass over, they absorb more moisture, leading to heavier rainfall. Warmer waters linked to climate change also increase the storms' wind speed, and can cause hurricanes to undergo so-called “rapid intensification” more often.

You do realize the author of your source article has his degree in English Lit, right?

You do realize the author of your source article has his degree in English Lit, right?

But of course, that is fitting for someone who writes articles for a living. But it has no bearing on the contents of the article, which come from other sources and not from the reporter. Reporters report on things, they are not experts on things.

But of course, that is fitting for someone who writes articles for a living. But it has no bearing on the contents of the article, which come from other sources and not from the reporter. Reporters report on things, they are not experts on things.
And the OP can say the exact same thing about his source. If I criticize one for not having the background, I have to criticize all, or that is hypocrisy.

Note, for the record: I myself do not have a relevant degree and all my comments are based on my reading and understanding. Take what I say with that same grain of salt you should take everything from non-experts.

Yeah, but he's writing about climate science. And the article basically indicates the evidence isn't clear yet that emissions are causing extreme weather events.

"Princeton University geosciences professor Gabriel Vecchi told TIME last year. “For other extreme events, it’s still a little more complicated to find connections.”

And the OP can say the exact same thing about his source. If I criticize one for not having the background, I have to criticize all, or that is hypocrisy.

Note, for the record: I myself do not have a relevant degree and all my comments are based on my reading and understanding. Take what I say with that same grain of salt you should take everything from non-experts.

A reporter who is not an expert can quote experts. Most experts aren't writers who disseminate their expertise. I am taking the word of the experts quoted, not the writer quoting them.

The OP is a video of an opinion piece, not a reporter quoting experts.

You know what the government did? They created NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), an organization that uses government operated weather satellites to early detect forming storms and hurricanes. This government agency has probably saved lives in the millions by giving people in the path of approaching hurricanes ample warning to prepare and/or evacuate. It also broadcasts to ships at sea to help them avoid the worst of the storms. Today we don't count the dead in the thousands like we did a hundred years ago.

For some reason, we tend to take this vital government service and technology for granted. Why is that?

I find that Stossel often supplies less than even info. And if I need comment about weather hurricanes are stronger now, I'll look for someone familiar with increasing ocean temperatures, not a failed network personality.

You know what the government did? They created NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), an organization that uses government operated weather satellites to early detect forming storms and hurricanes. This government agency has probably saved lives in the millions by giving people in the path of approaching hurricanes ample warning to prepare and/or evacuate. It also broadcasts to ships at sea to help them avoid the worst of the storms. Today we don't count the dead in the thousands like we did a hundred years ago.

For some reason, we tend to take this vital government service and technology for granted. Why is that?

Non-sequitur.

Had you bothered to review any portion of the video (time stamps provided) you'd know that your issue was never mentioned. Not once.

Nor does it apply to any of the four points being made,

1. FEMA 2. price gouging, 3. federal insurance.

The "climate change" issue was about assertions that it is creating worse hurricanes. But the evidence in the video segment (from weather satellites) shows otherwise.

Non-sequitur.

Had you bothered to review any portion of the video (time stamps provided) you'd know that your issue was never mentioned. Not once.

Nor does it apply to any of the four points being made,

1. FEMA 2. price gouging, 3. federal insurance.

The "climate change" issue was about assertions that it is creating worse hurricanes. But the evidence in the video segment (from weather satellites) shows otherwise.
It wasn't mentioned because it doesn't fit the narrative. Can't be talking about how the government helps out in a crisis like a hurricane because "GOVERNMENT BAAAAD!" KMA

There is so much wrong with this video I have no idea where to begin.

At random, you cannot control hording with higher prices. That's gouging. You are simply empowering the rich and forcing the poor out of the picture.
You limit hording by limiting how much or how many the customer can buy at one time. Volunteers can be horribly sporadic and can disappear overnight.

I have no idea what is meant by 'big government' as the US has 350 million people, it is 'big' by necessity. Further, having covered natural disasters for a number of decades I can tell you no local government has the resources to properly respond to anything large. State governments do not keep a standing army and a National Guard call up can take days.

A wildfire, flood or hurricane often span 10 or more jurisdictions. Some plane crashes can span three or four.

And nationally, Americans do it damn well.

What they don't do is learn from their mistakes. A month or so ago I was reading where an engineering study says New Orleans is at more risk now than before the last hurricane; that dikes are not being maintained. California has spent billions in beefing up firefighting operations, but not one dime on on going prevention.

You cannot see what's comming with your head in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom