• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Hold my Guns" program

I already told you what your lie was. I have no problem putting my finger on it. The problem appears to be your ability to comprehend simple things.

Yeah, yeah...you said you "don't care"

After I said something, you "reinterpreted" my post to mean something that I had said in response to (yet another) of your inane posts. I told you I meant what I said, and in post 29 you said that I'd said I didn't care. This is a lie, evidenced by the post you'd quoted earlier where I in no way said I didn't care. There's your lie.

You said, I said - you're behaving like a child

What did you mean to say ?
How do you perceive you were "reinterpreted" ?

It is you and the truth that make strange bedfellows.

Over 22,000 gun related suicides per year. In two years you almost have as many people than what died during the Vietnam War and the Vietnam War was over 10 years long.

Two firearms safety instructors have a plan to prevent suicides among gun owners | WITF

Feeling suicidal?

There's a program in some states were they will hold your guns for you until you're feeling better. Sometimes it's a gun dealer. Other times it's a local gun group.

How effective do you think a program like this would be?

I think it could be helpful for people who are having a hard time with life... so long as it was a neutral party holding said guns and there were no stipulations to giving them back upon request.

Studies show that the majority of people attempting suicide do so within an hour or so of making the decision to take their life.
and unfortunately anyone that determined to commit suicide can do it in many other ways without guns being present.

and unfortunately anyone that determined to commit suicide can do it in many other ways without guns being present.

Many other, less successful ways, and no they can't - death by most of these methods takes a bit of preparation.

A gun is readily available and doesn't take the determination of using a blade.

Many other, less successful ways, and no they can't - death by most of these methods takes a bit of preparation.

A gun is readily available and doesn't take the determination of using a blade.
“Some made the long drop from the apartment or the office window; some took it quietly in two-car garages with the motor running; some used the native tradition of the Colt or Smith and Wesson; those well-constructed implements that end insomnia, terminate remorse, cure cancer, avoid bankruptcy, and blast an exit from intolerable positions by the pressure of a finger; those admirable American instruments so easily carried, so sure of effect, so well designed to end the American dream when it becomes a nightmare, their only drawback the mess they leave for relatives to clean up.”
― Ernest Hemingway, To Have and Have Not

“Some made the long drop from the apartment or the office window...

And survived but sustained crippling injuries

...some took it quietly in two-car garages with the motor running....

That takes time and effort to prepare and is not a sure fire way to kill yourself
Carbon monoxide can cause permanent tissue damage to the lungs of those that survive however

...some used the native tradition of the Colt or Smith and Wesson....

Firearms are by far the most common method of those that attempt suicide in the USA.

And survived but sustained crippling injuries

That takes time and effort to prepare and is not a sure fire way to kill yourself
Carbon monoxide can cause permanent tissue damage to the lungs of those that survive however

Firearms are by far the most common method of those that attempt suicide in the USA.
Everyone has the right to end their own life.

Everyone has the right to end their own life.

So how do you account for the many who survive a suicide attempt, who are overjoyed to have survived ?

Your comment is at best ignorant and at worst contemptible.

It is you and the truth that make strange bedfellows.
Only if you are blind as a bat and dumb as a box of rocks:
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

There. A to B to C to D, your lie in plain view for all to see. I didn't say I didn't care. Your claim is false. Now stop your bullshit.

Over 22,000 gun related suicides per year. In two years you almost have as many people than what died during the Vietnam War and the Vietnam War was over 10 years long.

Two firearms safety instructors have a plan to prevent suicides among gun owners | WITF

Feeling suicidal?

There's a program in some states were they will hold your guns for you until you're feeling better. Sometimes it's a gun dealer. Other times it's a local gun group.

I dont know but I would love to see it offered.

Feeling suicidal?

It’s effective as you’ll never get your guns back after um feeling better.

I think it could be helpful for people who are having a hard time with life... so long as it was a neutral party holding said guns and there were no stipulations to giving them back upon request.

So imagine a situation where they got their guns back on request and promptly committed a murder-suicide

How would that look ?

Feeling suicidal?

do they also hold your knives, razor blades, drugs, rope and car keys?

Feeling suicidal?

There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from voluntarily handing over their firearms to anyone they please (except to convicted felons), for any reason they please. There does not need to be a "program" created for this to occur.

In fact, if such a "program" were to be created I would immediately suspect a nefarious motivation behind the enterprise. Like never being able to get your property back once you voluntarily give it up, despite all the promises that were made beforehand.

Since anyone can do what is being described now, without a "program" being created, I would vehemently oppose any attempt to create such an obvious anti-gun trap to steal firearms.

There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from voluntarily handing over their firearms to anyone they please (except to convicted felons), for any reason they please. There does not need to be a "program" created for this to occur.

Yes there does:

1. To establish a temporary transfer of location for the gun(s)
2. To establish a network of responsible people
3. To establish a process by which the gun(s) can be passed to the authorities for disposal, should the owner not recover.

If the only way you can think of to kill yourself involves a gun, then...I dont know what to say.

Knives, chemicals, jumps, the list is very long.

Yeah sure. But studies show places with more guns have more suicides.

Correlation =/= Causation

That's true- you raise a good point. The question of causation still remains somewhat open. There were many plans on further studies to look at such causation/correlation questions. But too bad the NRA lobbied congress to shut down all further research into these questions as soon as the correlation studies came out. I guess now we will never know, and the NRA can keep playing on people's fears and ignorance. Can't have the light of actual facts and observations shed on this topic, now can we? There's a risk the findings might hurt sales you know. Why mess with a good thing? Sales are strong. It's better to keep telling people Biden is coming to take all your guns away. And if this potentially means a few more massacres and suicides around the country, meh, so what?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom