• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Hold my Guns" program

Over 22,000 gun related suicides per year. In two years you almost have as many people than what died during the Vietnam War and the Vietnam War was over 10 years long.

Two firearms safety instructors have a plan to prevent suicides among gun owners | WITF

Feeling suicidal?

There's a program in some states were they will hold your guns for you until you're feeling better. Sometimes it's a gun dealer. Other times it's a local gun group.

How effective do you think a program like this would be?

Anyone doing so is a fool. That is self creating massive evidence against themselves. Nobody's going to do it anyway, just talk. Plus it's just stupid. If a person is that suicidal giving up their guns won't stop it.

I bet more people who have a lethal quantity of pills commit suicide by pills more than people who don't have such pills.

I bet people with motor vehicles more commit vehicular carbon monoxide suicide than those who don't have a motor vehicle.

I bet more people with rope or similar hang themselves more often than people who don't have anything to hang themselves with.

This is an example of fantasy words mattering more to some people that 100% obvious reality.

I bet more people who have a lethal quantity of pills commit suicide by pills more than people who don't have such pills.

I bet people with motor vehicles more commit vehicular carbon monoxide suicide than those who don't have a motor vehicle.

I bet more people with rope or similar hang themselves more often than people who don't have anything to hang themselves with.

This is an example of fantasy words mattering more to some people that 100% obvious reality.

Well there is certainly a correlation between having firearms in the house and increased suicide. Ditto for domestic violence. There were plans for numerous more detailed studies to see if this was just a correlation or there was causation. They can do that. It's not that hard. Too bad the NRA successfully lobbied to shut all of them down. Much better to not have any actual facts and observations and just spout opinions and engage in fear mongering. Better for sales.

Over 22,000 gun related suicides per year. In two years you almost have as many people than what died during the Vietnam War and the Vietnam War was over 10 years long.

Two firearms safety instructors have a plan to prevent suicides among gun owners | WITF

Feeling suicidal?

There's a program in some states were they will hold your guns for you until you're feeling better. Sometimes it's a gun dealer. Other times it's a local gun group.

How effective do you think a program like this would be?

It couldn't hurt, but I think most gun suicides are reactive, not planned.

Totally accurate but totally meaningless.

How many people, do you think, attempt suicide by pills, if there is a gun available ?

Yes there does:

1. To establish a temporary transfer of location for the gun(s)
2. To establish a network of responsible people
3. To establish a process by which the gun(s) can be passed to the authorities for disposal, should the owner not recover.
just send them to me, I'll gladly 'dispose" of them.

Back
Top Bottom