• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Hold my Guns" program

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Over 22,000 gun related suicides per year. In two years you almost have as many people than what died during the Vietnam War and the Vietnam War was over 10 years long.

Two firearms safety instructors have a plan to prevent suicides among gun owners | WITF

Feeling suicidal?

There's a program in some states were they will hold your guns for you until you're feeling better. Sometimes it's a gun dealer. Other times it's a local gun group.

How effective do you think a program like this would be?

Over 22,000 gun related suicides per year. In two years you almost have as many people than what died during the Vietnam War and the Vietnam War was over 10 years long.

Two firearms safety instructors have a plan to prevent suicides among gun owners | WITF

Feeling suicidal?

There's a program in some states were they will hold your guns for you until you're feeling better. Sometimes it's a gun dealer. Other times it's a local gun group.

Studies show that the majority of people attempting suicide do so within an hour or so of making the decision to take their life.

If the only way you can think of to kill yourself involves a gun, then...I dont know what to say.

Knives, chemicals, jumps, the list is very long.

But on topic, sure. If its something you think will help, go for it. Hand them to a neighbor, if you have to.

Feeling suicidal?

I like the idea. How effective does it have to be? Even if it only spares a few families the tragedy of a suicide, it's worth it. People start to contemplate the suicide option long before they make the decision. If some of them recognize their lack of judgement in weak moments, they might surrender their weapons until things are on an upswing again.

I don't see how it can hurt.

I don't know how effective it would be but I do not see the harm in trying, and in spreading the word about its existence. Thanks for sharing.

If the only way you can think of to kill yourself involves a gun, then...I dont know what to say.

Knives, chemicals, jumps, the list is very long.

But firearms are the most common method and by far the most successful (85%).

Feeling suicidal?

I think it should be illegal, since they are probably not transferring those guns after doing a background check.

But firearms are the most common method and by far the most successful (85%).
How bad must that 15% feel that they couldn't even get this last thing right with an instrument of mass carnage.

How bad must that 15% feel that they couldn't even get this last thing right with an instrument of mass carnage.

Studies show that most people surviving a suicide attempt are overjoyed to have survived and do not make another attempt.

I would think that each of these gun suicides are a pro gun person.

You think so?

Not effective at all because someone who has made the final decision to do it is actualy happy about the decision, happy to end the pain.

If you want a puppy, you're not going to have someone hold onto your means of getting a puppy, you're not going to call a puppy-prevention hotline. You're just going to buy a puppy.

Feeling suicidal?

I think it's a great thing to try! I would love for gun owners to get involved in gun violence and suicide prevention.

If you comment was meant to be humor, it was at best distasteful, and at worst quite shameful.
It was meant to be sarcastic.

Hence, "sarcasm detector."

As I said, at best distasteful....
You said if it was supposed to be humorous it would be at best distasteful.

It wasn't supposed to be funny. It was supposed to be sarcastic.

Regardless, watch me give zero ****s.

You said if it was supposed to be humorous it would be at best distasteful.

It wasn't supposed to be funny. It was supposed to be sarcastic.

Regardless, watch me give zero ****s.

Sarcasm is meant to be humor. Have you never heard Oscar Wilde's famous quote: "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"

Do you not know what "wit" is ?

Sarcasm is meant to be humor. Have you never heard Oscar Wilde's famous quote: "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"

Do you not know what "wit" is ?
Don't care.

Don't care.

Don't care that you don't know what wit is...don't care that you don't know that sarcasm is a form of humor...

Don't care if you're wrong

Don't care what you write really do you ?
Then why should we ?

Don't care that you don't know what wit is...don't care that you don't know that sarcasm is a form of humor...

Don't care if you're wrong

Don't care what you write really do you ?
Then why should we ?
Still don't care.

Feeling suicidal?

Impossible to know. Besides, you don't need a gun to kill yourself. Gonna turn in your shoelaces, all the knives in the kitchen, your car (source of carbon monoxide), your gas stove, all of the electrical cords in the house, every tool in your garage, drain the swimming pool, stop all local railroad traffic, tear down tall builidings and cut down trees, barricade bridges----- and so forth?

Back
Top Bottom