• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Headlines are wrong: DADT has not been repealed

It takes faith to be an atheist too. You put your faith in mans ability to prove many things on faith based theoretical assumptions.

Nonsense.

If you told me there was a dragon on I-95 causing a traffic jam, it doesn't take faith for me to decide that I don't believe you. I have no evidence whatsoever that there ISN'T a dragon on I-95. I also have no evidence that there is one.
edit: to line up with God better, make it an invisible dragon. I can observe the traffic jam, but not the dragon.

Atheism doesn't require faith that mankind will figure it out. It may very well be that the creation of the universe is something we'll never be able to prove because the information you'd have to observe to prove that no longer exists, or exists in a manner that makes it impossible to observe accurately enough.

Last edited:
He doesn't apply then... Perhaps you should THINK less since you don't know anyone on the "front" in AF or Irag because there is no front?

You said that many come back looking for a Bible. You indicated that it was a "fact" that many who didn't already believe in the Christian God or some religion that was guided by a book, came back from war believing and/or looking to get involved with a relgion like that. I am saying that it has been my experience, (from my husband and his buddies and the many stories that I have heard about war) that most of them do not change any of their religious beliefs or lack there of just from being involved in the war.

And by "front" I was referring to anyone in an actual combat situation. I would not have been in that "front", since I was off the coast of Iraq and in the water close enough for our planes to reach Afghanistan when we supported the war effort. The "frontline" guys would be anyone who actually went looking for combat (not hoping to be involved necessarily, but rather that was part of their job. You know, those in any job that women can't be in because they are considered combat units?

Otherwise, your point is meaningless entirely, since we also don't have foxholes set up like we did in many older wars.

"but for many" it's true... based on my experience. You ever been in one?? Don't think so since the Navy rarely [if ever] digs them.

Your statements are just as much an opinion as mine or Redress's. You have no more "proof" that many atheists (which aren't common in the military anyway, or at least not open about it) come home from seeing action with a belief in God. It is much more likely that many of those that you believed were atheists were actually agnostic or just didn't practice the religion that they did believe as devoutly as some.

I suspect you will be a bit uncomfortable with the "unkown"... just about the same time as the Grim Reaper comes into your rear view. It has an effect of providing cyrstal clear vision. There aint no athiests in foxholes... might sound like a cliche, but for many, that's a true fact. Go in a non-believer and come out looking for a bible.

Ridiculous, as usual. I've been on the brink of death and I never once thought about religion. Death doesn't bother me. It's a natural part of life. When I die, I die. I'm not going to go whimpering to some imaginary friend. And it's funny, there are tons of atheists in the military and in foxholes. Not my fault if you're too blinded by your ridiculous faith to see them.

Ridiculous, as usual. I've been on the brink of death and I never once thought about religion. Death doesn't bother me. It's a natural part of life. When I die, I die. I'm not going to go whimpering to some imaginary friend. And it's funny, there are tons of atheists in the military and in foxholes. Not my fault if you're too blinded by your ridiculous faith to see them.

Yea... I just bet you have. :roll: I suspect you know absolutely nothing about the military or combat other than what you've read or the video games you play. Not my fault your "Blinded By Science" to see real truth.

You said that many come back looking for a Bible. You indicated that it was a "fact" that many who didn't already believe in the Christian God or some religion that was guided by a book, came back from war believing and/or looking to get involved with a relgion like that.

Stop twisting my words to fit your inexperience. I said "There aint no athiests in foxholes... might sound like a cliche, but for many, that's a true fact. Go in [to a foxhole] a non-believer and come out looking for a bible."

Let me further clarify. Thats a general reference to a lot of guys looking for something meaningful [as in Christianity] after experiencing heavy combat and watching buddies die. Didn't think I needed to be that specific but there it is... I've seen it myself so I know it happens!

Stop twisting my words to fit your inexperience. I said "There aint no athiests in foxholes... might sound like a cliche, but for many, that's a true fact. Go in [to a foxhole] a non-believer and come out looking for a bible."

Let me further clarify. Thats a general reference to a lot of guys looking for something meaningful [as in Christianity] after experiencing heavy combat and watching buddies die. Didn't think I needed to be that specific but there it is... I've seen it myself so I know it happens!

Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers. 'nuf said.

I think you fancy yourself as an important blogger for progressive athiests and want to make it a more relevant issue with the radical left. I also suspect your goal is to further expand your base for political gains and make money too. Why don't you include a bit of tolerance instead of hateful attack messages?

I'm sure Madalyn O' would be proud of you... But that boat already sailed.

Athiest/freethinkers should be called "limited or confined thinkers". To totally discount the possibility that God exists is not what I would call deep thought. It's extremely rigid. Agnostics have some ground to stand on... not so for the "limitedthinkers".

I sometimes feel it's not that athiests discount the possibility of a god.

But in my opinion as an athiest/Jedi, there may well be a god of some kind. But it sure isn't the god described in the bible. Unless god dropped the book from heaven, which he didn't.

Athiest/freethinkers should be called "limited or confined thinkers". To totally discount the possibility that God exists is not what I would call deep thought. It's extremely rigid. Agnostics have some ground to stand on... not so for the "limitedthinkers".

You are confusing militant atheist with normal atheists. Most of us just don't have faith in a god.

If God is so perfect, why did he change his mind? Old Testament God was an asshole, but New Testament God is fairly mellow by comparison. Shouldn't he have gotten it right the first time? If Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation, why did God wait so long to send him down? Seems kindof unfair to the Macedonians, don't you think? Why are their ten commandments and not nine or eleven? Why are a few of them redundant?
Reminded me of something
Terry Pratchett said:
The New Testament is about what happened when God found religion

Yet very few are gay
Again with the left-handed thing. Compare 8 - 15% of left-handers with 2 to 13% of homosexuals (not even mentioning Kinsey).

In fact, I always thought that left-handedness was a pretty good analogy for being gay. No-one's really sure what causes 'handedness', either - but it's probably a mix of things, included genetics, environmental, social pressures etc. Left-handed people have traditionally been stigmatised in many cultures - and as a result of this, many people were forced to pretend to be right-handed in order to advance through society (two examples - the Dickensian left-handed schoolboy who gets the cane, and my grandmother; who was refused a job as a secretary on the grounds that she was left-handed, despite the fact that this did not affect her writing/legibility etc in any way.)

You are confusing militant atheist with normal atheists. Most of us just don't have faith in a god.
Just to use slightly better terminology; you are confusing agnostic atheists with gnostic atheists. No faith in God =/= Faith in no God.

I think you fancy yourself as an important blogger for progressive athiests and want to make it a more relevant issue with the radical left. I also suspect your goal is to further expand your base for political gains and make money too. Why don't you include a bit of tolerance instead of hateful attack messages?

I'm sure Madalyn O' would be proud of you... But that boat already sailed.

I'm just debunking your nonsense, of which you seem to have no end.

Athiest/freethinkers should be called "limited or confined thinkers". To totally discount the possibility that God exists is not what I would call deep thought. .

Who are you to say the decision to not believe in a God didn't come out of deep thought and long periods of pondering?

Who are you to say the decision to not believe in a God didn't come out of deep thought and long periods of pondering?

Especially since many, if not most atheists were theists first until they realized that there just was no rational justification for believing in a deity. Most came to their rejection of religion through rationality, logic and an evaluation of the available evidence.

You do not look at the punishments. There is a sacrifice to become clean again. Homosexuals are to be killed.

The FBI surely is keeping track of you...

That is just how he rolls...

Origianally Posted by ptif219
So Doctors who see it everyday are not reliable? Shows you have no argument

That is just how he rolls...

Originally Posted by Obamanator

It is deeper thought that those that discount that possibility that God does not exist. That is not only extremely rigid, but probably delusional.

I haven't kept up with this topic but I would like to add that my friend, who was discharged from the Army several years ago for violating DADT has just re-enlisted. What that means is that the Army knows this man is gay, it being the reason for his original discharge, but they still let him sign up again.

I haven't kept up with this topic but I would like to add that my friend, who was discharged from the Army several years ago for violating DADT has just re-enlisted. What that means is that the Army knows this man is gay, it being the reason for his original discharge, but they still let him sign up again.

Good for him :)

Brave guy too...

I'd find it difficult to go back to something that rejected me because of who I was, even if it did change. I'm sure it wasn't easy for him.

Back
Top Bottom