• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Guns On Demand. First Fully 3D-Printed Handgun Is Here

specklebang

Discount Philosopher
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
World’s First Fully 3D-Printed Handgun Is Here

Before anybody goes off on me, remember please remember I don't have a gun in this race. Don't want one, don't need one and don't care how many you have as long as you don';t point them at me.

Technology has changed the playing field. The 3D printing industry is growing by leaps and bounds. That anyone can produce a gun when they need one and melt it when they're done it is a minor point in the sweeping change 3D is going to make on this world. Supply chains will be obsoleted in a decade. A brave new world is coming and there is no way to stoop it - unless Obama decides to declare all manufacturing to be illegal.

Nice!
images.jpeg

Steve Israel has already called for national legislation to ban 3D-printed guns. "Security checkpoints, background checks, and gun regulations will do little good if criminals can print plastic firearms at home and bring those firearms through metal detectors with no one the wiser," the congressman said in a statement issued in response to the Forbes story. "When I started talking about the issue of plastic firearms months ago, I was told the idea of a plastic gun is science-fiction. Now that this technology is proven, we need to act now to extend the ban [on] plastic firearms," he says.

Good luck with that.

Yes. We need to ban the internet at once!

Steve Israel has already called for national legislation to ban 3D-printed guns. "Security checkpoints, background checks, and gun regulations will do little good if criminals can print plastic firearms at home and bring those firearms through metal detectors with no one the wiser," the congressman said in a statement issued in response to the Forbes story. "When I started talking about the issue of plastic firearms months ago, I was told the idea of a plastic gun is science-fiction. Now that this technology is proven, we need to act now to extend the ban [on] plastic firearms," he says.

Good luck with that.

Sounds like Steve Israel is yet another idiot that thinks making a law stops criminals.

As much as I like it, it's a bad idea. Now the government will ban 3d printed guns, or make it a felony. Mark my words.

World’s First Fully 3D-Printed Handgun Is Here

Before anybody goes off on me, remember please remember I don't have a gun in this race. Don't want one, don't need one and don't care how many you have as long as you don';t point them at me.

Technology has changed the playing field. The 3D printing industry is growing by leaps and bounds. That anyone can produce a gun when they need one and melt it when they're done it is a minor point in the sweeping change 3D is going to make on this world. Supply chains will be obsoleted in a decade. A brave new world is coming and there is no way to stoop it - unless Obama decides to declare all manufacturing to be illegal.

Nice!
View attachment 67147014

It's not as easy as it sounds. From what I understand, in order for the gun to not blow up in the face of the person firing it, it needs to be fired in a kiln

Plenty of people have personal computer. How many have personal kilns?

Sounds like Steve Israel is yet another idiot that thinks making a law stops criminals.
He's another self important ****head who has overstayed his welcome in Congress.

It's not as easy as it sounds. From what I understand, in order for the gun to not blow up in the face of the person firing it, it needs to be fired in a kiln

If that's true, that sucks, but it doesn't really matter. The technology is rapidly evolving. 3D printing is going to be like the internet and computers in the 90's. Industrial printers can already print metal, so if you had one of those you'd have no problem printing proper guns.

It's simply an inevitability.

A controlled temperature kiln is not difficult to produce, relatively simple in comparison with printing and assembling a plastic firearm. Complexity goes upward when introducing vacuum or pressure elements to produce an autoclave.

If that's true, that sucks, but it doesn't really matter. The technology is rapidly evolving. 3D printing is going to be like the internet and computers in the 90's. Industrial printers can already print metal, so if you had one of those you'd have no problem printing proper guns.

It's simply an inevitability.

it's also a manually intensive process

3D Printing Step-by-Step

I saw a live demonstration of a 3D printer 2weeks ago. It was awesome :)

it's also a manually intensive process

3D Printing Step-by-Step

Not all of them are that difficult. That one in particular is especially hard because of how complicated and colorful it is.

Simply printing something with a home 3d printer is pretty easy. Comparing the technology to the PC development over the past 40 years, we're in the Commodore 64 area.

Either way, I think making the production process open to the average person is a huge step in human development, and I think that people being able to manufacture their own defense is great.

Not all of them are that difficult. That one in particular is especially hard because of how complicated and colorful it is.

Simply printing something with a home 3d printer is pretty easy. Comparing the technology to the PC development over the past 40 years, we're in the Commodore 64 area.

Either way, I think making the production process open to the average person is a huge step in human development, and I think that people being able to manufacture their own defense is great.

Yes, "simply printing something" is easy

Making a firearm is more involved than "simply printing something"

Yes, "simply printing something" is easy

Making a firearm is more involved than "simply printing something"

Then you're missing my point altogether. Yes, right this very moment, it's still impractical for the average citizen to 3d print a gun, but that will change, and it'll be sooner than you think.

Then you're missing my point altogether. Yes, right this very moment, it's still impractical for the average citizen to 3d print a gun, but that will change, and it'll be sooner than you think.

I doubt it. Demand tends to drive the speed of technological innovation. There isn't much market demand for people to produce their own durable goods.

And back someone dives into that failed argument...

Notice I said nothing about gun control.

That's not the intention of what I said.

The intention was simply poking a hole in that idiotic argument I constantly hear

"Well criminals don't listen to laws".

Because if you say that, it's a blanket statement of basically saying.

"We shouldn't have any laws at all".

More and more people do every day. It only takes one. 3D printers are getting cheaper and cheaper as technological item tend to. It only takes one Consiglieri to supply the whole mob.

Of course, we could always ban kilns and 3D printers so those nasty felons can't buy one.........

I doubt it. Demand tends to drive the speed of technological innovation. There isn't much market demand for people to produce their own durable goods.

That is absolutely untrue. One example is plastics manufacturing. If you make a product, say a camera, and want to make the plastic case for it, you generally have to get a plastic injection mold, which costs about $10,000. With 3D printing that is completely unnecessary. Same with specialty metals, it's far far easier to print it than with normal techniques. That's just the industrial side.

For the consumer side, people want things cheap and fast. Being able to print 95% of the things you need in your very own home is an amazing advantage. Missing shower curtain rings? Just go online, download and print.

As individuals - no. As small businesses? The whole world is about to change.

More and more people do every day. It only takes one. 3D printers are getting cheaper and cheaper as technological item tend to. It only takes one Consiglieri to supply the whole mob.

Possibly, but my understanding is that the entire process is much more involved and labor intensive than it's been portrayed.

That's all I've been saying

That is absolutely untrue. One example is plastics manufacturing. If you make a product, say a camera, and want to make the plastic case for it, you generally have to get a plastic injection mold, which costs about $10,000. With 3D printing that is completely unnecessary. Same with specialty metals, it's far far easier to print it than with normal techniques. That's just the industrial side.

For the consumer side, people want things cheap and fast. Being able to print 95% of the things you need in your very own home is an amazing advantage. Missing shower curtain rings? Just go online, download and print.

I don't see how that refutes what I said. Your examples are of things which have a large demand.

And as far as printing a shower ring, or some other home good, the process is not simple. My link suggests that it's labor intensive and takes some time. Many people won't want to bother

As individuals - no. As small businesses? The whole world is about to change.

I can definitely see small businesses taking advantage of this, but the sorts of things they will manufacture are things that are not guns.

Back
Top Bottom