• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Guns don't kill people, Vice Presidents who play with guns do, or almost...

Deegan said:
Well I am a successful business man, and I would not want to be smeared for being successful, but that seems to be your initial take. Money+ success= greed, not at all, and it's very inappropriate, and not at all a reflection on most people of great wealth. And my heart is fine thank you, somehow I don't think you really care though!;)

You unquestionably have a heart, Deegan. But I have to agree with Captain America. While I don't like Bush, he has a warm way about him that you cannot help but like. When he makes jokes, I think he's funny. The "Want some wood?" comment during his debate with Kerry was priceless. However, you never see a warm side of Cheney. NEVER. Not that Cheney has to show such a side, but it makes someone much more likable if you see a likable side.

Captain America said:
And I'm a rich rock star posting from my yacht (in between servicing naked starlets.) Whatever.:roll:

But you are right about one thing.

I thought you were trying to be a rich rockstar,you are in band after all.

I couldn't decide if I was going to be a rich rock star or a rocket scientist.

Rock star sounded more exciting so I went with it.:lol:

Truth is, considering all the time and energy put into my music, I would probably make more money working at McDonalds. It's a labor of love.

Cheney said he had had a beer at lunch that day, but nobody was drinking when they went back out to hunt several hours later.

Do you feel drunk or even buzzed 5 hours after having a single beer??

Gill said:
Do you feel drunk or even buzzed 5 hours after having a single beer??

Who, on God's land has a beer for lunch? A beer?

No, I'll surmise that Cheney had a few beers for lunch. And where do you come up with 5 hours? 5 hours after lunch would make it quite dark nowadays.

To me this is more of a gun issue than a political issue. When a public figure of this magnitude screws up like this it just gives more ammunition to the anti-gun crowd who in my opinion are very often over zealous in the control of fireams. If Ted What's his name, the rock guy, accidentally shot himself in the foot you would hear the anti-gun people yelling to prohibit all firearms. This is no different.

I no longer, because of my physical condition, keep firearms at home. There is no need. However i have enjoyed the firing range for a long time and support those who are responsible with firearms and their right to own them.

It also speaks volumes about the effectiveness of military firearms training. If Cheney had served in the military, even just th reserves, this would have never happened because safety is so drilled into one during basic training that it is never forgotten. A shooter who has been subjected to the "trainfire" program (as it was called in my day) may loose his edge, his eyes may become less than they were but one thing he will never forget is firearm safety, It is drilled into you in such a way that whenever you pick up a weapon it is the safety factors that come to mind first. The injured party also would have been aware of where he should go and where he should not have gone. It was an accident that could have been avoided if the proper training would have been given. The military is the best place to learn about firearms. Yes i know there are private ranges that supposedly teach safety but there is no standard and i have seen shooters come out of all kinds of "courses" who have no idea of safety because it was not pounded into their head by constant repetition and a bawling out in no uncertain terms when they violated the rules.

No, I'll surmise that Cheney had a few beers for lunch. And where do you come up with 5 hours? 5 hours after lunch would make it quite dark nowadays.

He said he had ONE beer at lunch and you have no information that says otherwise.

The accident occurred at 6:30 pm. Surely he was through with lunch by 1:30. It's really very simple. They've already said it was nearing dark.

Gill said:
He said he had ONE beer at lunch and you have no information that says otherwise.

The accident occurred at 6:30 pm. Surely he was through with lunch by 1:30. It's really very simple. They've already said it was nearing dark.
I thought he originally claimed to not have had a drink at all.

I thought he originally claimed to not have had a drink at all.

I don't recall Cheney saying that. The police report stated that alcohol was not a factor.

Jim said:
...That's the end of the story. It's a private civil matter which is over. Predictably, people will try to make as m ouch as they can out of the issue no matter how illogical and strained the argument.
But the story is changing. It COULD have been the end of it, but now it is how conservatives are refusing that Cheney DID do something Wong, and that they are blaming this guy for Cheney turning around and shooting behind him without first checking.

It is now a story of conservatives being unable to acknowledge a wrong, it is becoming a story about right wing hypocrisy in making a mountain out of anything with any Democrat, and now trying to free Cheney of rightful blame, even on a minor issue.

It is now an story of lack of conservative integrity.

Conflict said:
Exactly.

The right to bear arms. I never stated that I am a democrat. I don't favor democrats or republicans. I stick to the constitution.

The constitution explicitly states of the American people the "right to bear arms".
But it doesn't say that they have a right to be poachers, nor that they have the right to discharge firearms behind them without first checking if somebody are standing there.

But obviously, for conservatives, the ability to take responsibility for one's own action instead of trying to blame others is a diminishing trait.

akyron said:
I just wish he had been hunting with Howard Dean.
Hmm, shouldn't such an expressed desire to shoot a public politician warrant an FBI evaluation? After all, it is clear that shrubbie is spying on everybody illegally anyway, so perhaps they already are checking into you?

Gill said:
I’ve only been hunting for 45 years.

When I hunt, there are no cars nearby and there are no kids that are not right next to me.

YOU are obviously no hunter.
It is scary that you can think turning around and shooting behind you without full awareness of what is there is in any way OK. How many people do you have to hit before you figure out this is NOT OK?

First I never said it was a “minor flesh wound”, but Whittington’s daughter said he looked like he had chicken pox with red dots all over his face. Doesn’t sound to serious to me.
Well, today he had a heart attack. Direct result of the shooting. Sure, nothing to it, right? Still his fault for placing himself where Cheney might turn around and shoot behind him without first checking! Ridiculous.

It is scary that you can think turning around and shooting behind you without full awareness of what is there is in any way OK. How many people do you have to hit before you figure out this is NOT OK?

No, I didn't say it was ok, I simply stated that it is a common situation while quail hunting. In fact, it happens hundreds of times a year.

Well, today he had a heart attack. Direct result of the shooting. Sure, nothing to it, right? Still his fault for placing himself where Cheney might turn around and shoot behind him without first checking! Ridiculous.

Yes, he did have a heart attack but luckily one so light, he didn't even know he was having it. And today, he is sitting in bed working on legal briefs and wondering what all the hoopla is about.

Cheney has admitted he acted inappropriately. Get over it.

Does anyone in here have any problem with Sweaty Teddy not reporting Chappaquidik (sp?) until the following day?

No? Then you should have no problem with Cheney either.

Yes? Well, if the shoe fits....

I agree with the poster above me. Get over it.

cnredd said:
If anyone keeps thinking "only Conservatives would stoop so low as to make jokes about something like this", that assumption has been disproved...

Liberals have no problem stooping just as low...:shrug:
The entire point of my post was that the other writer tried make us believe that ONLY Liberals were joking about what an asshole Cheney was/is. My point is that both sides were bright enough to recognize his assholeness and make jokes about him.

No Liberals that I saw wrote that only Conservatives made jokes...but there were Conservatives that wrote that only Liberals made jokes...and that's the point, again...that some Conservatives twist or spin everything wrong that their brethren do and blame it on Liberals, which is as lame as it gets...and very typical.

cnredd said:
Of course they do, but the Left believes they are the ones who "care"...Their accusations that the Conservatives don't have a heart are now met with "Congratulations!...Neither do you." through their actions...
Tell you what Redd...go back in time and take a look at photos of people who lynched Blacks, or who segregated this country, or who practiced racism, anti-semitism or hate based politics races of Americans and please point out the Liberals in those pictures..and then point out the Conservatives.

That's the difference...Liberals never discriminated against people of color or by religion, that's always the domain of Conservatives...Want another example?

The definition of LIBERAL is:

Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

Now let's look at the definition of CONSERVATIVE:

Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.

Source for both is Dictionary.com.

OK...So liberals favor reform and are open to new ideas and conservatives tend to oppose change...like desgregation...which is precisely why only 2% of Blacks in America are Pro-Bush.

Interesting, don't you think?

Captain America said:
Does anyone in here have any problem with Sweaty Teddy not reporting Chappaquidik (sp?) until the following day?

No? Then you should have no problem with Cheney either.

Yes? Well, if the shoe fits....

I agree with the poster above me. Get over it.
I think we all know that politicians and their families get away with stuff that the average joe can't.

KidRocks said:

Hey Kid...you know I'm a major liberal out here but your posts here are over the top. You're not helping our cause by making ludicrous accusations that are untrue and baseless.

He had one beer and shot the guy 5 hours later, that is fact. I think sticking to the facts is more than enough to make Cheney out to be the asshole that he is.

Now there are rumours that Cheney delayed reporting the incident because he need to get his Swiss girlfriend out of Dodge. :lol:

Gill said:
No, I didn't say it was ok, I simply stated that it is a common situation while quail hunting. In fact, it happens hundreds of times a year.
And that is a couple hundred times to many. Cheney DID goof up and a man was hurt. Now it is time for Cheney to be a man and admit to this, and it is time for the Conservative apologists to NOT try to blame anybody but Cheney. If conservatives can't even admit to what is an actual accident, how can we ever trust them to owe up to ANYTHING they do? How can we trust them to have ANY integrity?

Yes, he did have a heart attack but luckily one so light, he didn't even know he was having it. And today, he is sitting in bed working on legal briefs and wondering what all the hoopla is about.

Cheney has admitted he acted inappropriately.
Good. Funny how many conservatives here must then be saying that Cheney now is lying.:shock:

steen said:
If conservatives can't even admit to what is an actual accident, how can we ever trust them to owe up to ANYTHING they do? How can we trust them to have ANY integrity?

Who's not admitting to the accident? :confused:

If you find yourself not trusting them over this 'accident', I daresay your trust was lacking to begin with.

KidRocks said:

That's why we like you so much, kidrocks, because you "surmise" so much.

Last edited:
Um... I have beers for lunch. Not every day, but on some days. Some days I have one, two, or sometimes three or four... Again, not every day...

But ah... lots of grown-ups have beers for lunch.

Back
Top Bottom