• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

GunControl

Position on Gun Control?

• All guns should be banned.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • You should have to have a license to own guns.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • All guns should be allowed except for machineguns.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • There should be no or very few limits on possession or carrying of firearms.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • There should be significant limits on the types, features, possesion and strict carry laws

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Other- Please Specify

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
HTColeman said:
I said most, not all. You could be one of the few, that is fine with me.

Well, I guess if I were to try and explain my facetiousness, my point couldn't be taken as one of the moment, and all impact would be lost. Next time I'll try and remember to use a smiley face.

C.J. said:
Well, I guess if I were to try and explain my facetiousness, my point couldn't be taken as one of the moment, and all impact would be lost. Next time I'll try and remember to use a smiley face.

Me too, I was kidding:mrgreen:. *sigh* a good lauch gone awry b/c of miscommunication.

Gandhi>Bush said:
Where exactly do you live? Have you ever encountered such a situation?

Ghandi, if you want to impress yourself, I encourage you to do two things.

#1: Look up the number of rapes per year
#2: Look up the number of times women have prevented themselves from being raped through self-defense (by means of a gun)

In fact, look at the annual average for the defensive use of a gun. Are you against self-defense?

Let me ask you something, who is morally better off? The woman who just got raped and or murdered, or the woman who just shot the rapist?

There are those who are truly against self-defense, and I have no respect for them.

What is your position on Gun Control?

I beleave the founding forefathers did not make any restrictions on the right to bear arms.Of course if you want to argue that there should be limits on guns then you could also argue that there could be limits on freespeech.

I do not support convicts owning guns and insane people owning guns.

I agree with robin insofar as I support the gun control laws we already have in the UK.

As for you guys over the pond, I believe that it is unfair to compare our two systems as there are fundamental differences, not just in population size and the sheer logistical problems of controling guns in the US,as AlbgOwl pointed out, but also the differences in culture...firearms are written into the American constitution, and do seem to be a large part, at least from my view, of American culture, be that right or wrong is up to each American to decide for themselves.

I want no gun laws here in america. Except for criminals who have gotten out of jail for felonys and stuff like that. But good citizens should have the right o own 50cal or M60 or any other guns they want. Hell, I want a M4A1 but Cali gun laws are very strict. I need to move to arizona, :lol:

Plain old me said:
I agree with robin insofar as I support the gun control laws we already have in the UK.

As for you guys over the pond, I believe that it is unfair to compare our two systems as there are fundamental differences, not just in population size and the sheer logistical problems of controling guns in the US,as AlbgOwl pointed out, but also the differences in culture...firearms are written into the American constitution, and do seem to be a large part, at least from my view, of American culture, be that right or wrong is up to each American to decide for themselves.

And for what it's worth, I remember reading of an England were a Bobbie carried a night stick and needed nothing else to keep the peace. I have lived in places where you never locked the doors to your house and you always knew where your car keys were because you never took them out of the ignition. That is a great way to live. Unfortunately, places like that are becoming increasingly scarce.

y not peace? said:
all guns should be abloished. it only allows easy killing.

I sympathies your view. There is nothing wrong with wanting peace and persuing the abolishment of War.
By posting an opinion that all guns should be abolished, you have opened yourself to ridicule and insult by those who feel so passionately to the contrary, that they can not contain them selfs long enough to articulate their opposition.

Only law-abiding citizens will comply with a gun ban. Those who do not follow the law would not comply with a civilion disarmament. This same logic holds true for W.M.D. controle attempted by international law.

Besides, there are to many ways to legally circomvent a gun ban for it to be effective. The only thing that the Assult Weapons Ban meant, for those who desired to posses the banned weapons, was that they would have to shell out a little more cash for the appropriate licenses.

You need too understand, the purpose of the second Amendment is so that the civilian population can kill military and government officials, only as maybe necessary in order to effect a revolution; should the inevitable day of a revolution come to pass in our lifetimes.
By attempting to take away civilian fire-arms, only one of two things would occur; 1. The population, being disarmed, would be subject to governmental tyranny; 2. The Revolution would spark as soon as disarmament was attempted.

Laws do not controle people.

I believe gun and the laws surrounding them should be more strict. But, hey it's a business. And businesses afford strong lobbys. Therefore, it doesn't really matter what we think, now does it?

ban.the.electoral.college said:
I believe gun and the laws surrounding them should be more strict. But, hey it's a business. And businesses afford strong lobbys. Therefore, it doesn't really matter what we think, now does it?
WOW! I don't know how you do it man, keeping one of the longest wrong streaks in the history of debate and all. Seriously, crack a book sometime, gun ownership is not a business, it is a right, a constitutionally guaranteed right, the only business aspect that pertains to lobbyist is the wimpy, over-emotional, and under-informed anti-gun lobby. By the way, the NRA isn't a lobby group, they are a civil rights group, they aren't asking for any special protections or laws they are demanding that the founding document be followed by duly elected officials.

If you could effect any gun law or restriction that you desired, right now, what would they be?

LaMidRighter said:
WOW! I don't know how you do it man, keeping one of the longest wrong streaks in the history of debate and all. Seriously, crack a book sometime, gun ownership is not a business, it is a right, a constitutionally guaranteed right, the only business aspect that pertains to lobbyist is the wimpy, over-emotional, and under-informed anti-gun lobby. By the way, the NRA isn't a lobby group, they are a civil rights group, they aren't asking for any special protections or laws they are demanding that the founding document be followed by duly elected officials.

Tell Wal*Mart and charleton heston that guns are not a business. Sure, the ownership of guns is permitted by the constitution. And you are entitled to you trite opinions.

Tell Wal*Mart and charleton heston that guns are not a business.
Sure, selling guns is a business, now what does Charlton Heston have to do with that, he is the president of a rights group, that is a NON-PROFIT.
Sure, the ownership of guns is permitted by the constitution.
And you, the "enlightened" liberal would love to restrict that right into extinction, but of course the conservative movement is who you will say is killing the constitution, kind of hypocritical don't you think.
And you are entitled to you trite opinions.
I have given you fact, you gave an opinionated statement in spite of with no backing arguments, after losing the debate you resort to insults by calling my opinions trite. Once again, open a book or actually use a little grey matter before you try debate, maybe then you can actually contribute instead of this assault of ad-hominem attacks I have been seeing from your posts.

Last edited:
Sure, selling guns is a business

It wasn't a minute ago. Now it is? You have John Kerry syndrome.

... now what does Charlton Heston have to do with that, he is the president of a rights group, that is a NON-PROFIT.

I told you go tell Charleton Heston your statement "gun ownership is not a business", so you could watch him laugh in your face. Why are you still here asking silly questions?

And you, the "enlightened" liberal would love to restrict that right into extinction,

Uhm... you have a wild imagination. I don't think guns should be banned. I just think there should be tougher laws and restrictions regarding gun ownership. Have you taken your meds today?

but of course the conservative movement is who you will say is killing the constitution, kind of hypocritical don't you think.

I think you are nuts. That's what I think. :lol:

I have given you fact, you gave an opinionated statement in spite of with no backing arguments, after losing the debate you resort to insults by calling my opinions trite. Once again, open a book or actually use a little grey matter before you try debate, maybe then you can actually contribute instead of this assault of ad-hominem attacks I have been seeing from your posts.

I lost? I didn't know we were having a competition. So, far you have not said a damn thing. :lol:

Let's try this again, you said guns were a business, which was a blanket statement, I said that Selling them, which is a specific transaction was the business aspect, I'm sorry if you don't have the ability to differentiate.

I told you go tell Charleton Heston your statement "gun ownership is not a business", so you could watch him laugh in your face. Why are you still here asking silly questions?
Not even worth my time to address this point.

Uhm... you have a wild imagination. I don't think guns should be banned. I just think there should be tougher laws and restrictions regarding gun ownership. Have you taken your meds today?
No, but you want to restrict them to the point of near extinction, tougher laws are still unconstitution considering there are already around 10-20 thousand gun laws currently on the books.

Laugh all you want but you're the one that comes off as a crackpot on this site.

I lost? I didn't know we were having a competition. So, far you have not said a damn thing. :lol:
:yawn:

To LaMidRighter: It looks to me like your looking to pick a fight, or a flaming war... or whatever. But, it is painstakingly clear you have a bone to pick with me. I'm not sure what I did to offend you, but maybe you should tell me. Maybe we can have a reasonable discussion. Or, you can just insult me until your heart is content, but it's not going to make you look anymore intelligent. In fact, did you know that inspite of your aggressive behavior I think you have an above average intelligence? That is more than I can say for cnredd or navy pride.

electoral college, you're getting intellectually spanked here.....which is why you are off on another in your long list of tangents.

To LaMidRighter: It looks to me like your looking to pick a fight, or a flaming war... or whatever. But, it is painstakingly clear you have a bone to pick with me. I'm not sure what I did to offend you, but maybe you should tell me. Maybe we can have a reasonable discussion. Or, you can just insult me until your heart is content, but it's not going to make you look anymore intelligent. In fact, did you know that inspite of your aggressive behavior I think you have an above average intelligence? That is more than I can say for cnredd or navy pride.
Nope, just redirecting your debate style to you to give you a little taste of your own medicine, the way I adress you is pretty much the way you treat others in disagreement, isn't too fun is it.

SKILMATIC said:
I want no gun laws here in america. Except for criminals who have gotten out of jail for felonys and stuff like that. But good citizens should have the right o own 50cal or M60 or any other guns they want. Hell, I want a M4A1 but Cali gun laws are very strict. I need to move to arizona, :lol:

Why would you want guns like these, what purpose do they serve other than mass killing?

LaMidRighter said:
Nope, just redirecting your debate style to you to give you a little taste of your own medicine, the way I adress you is pretty much the way you treat others in disagreement, isn't too fun is it.

You shouldn't impose a personal distaste for yourself, just because of how I have responded to "others". Be more specific. Who do you mean by "others".

Sure, selling guns is a business

... now what does Charlton Heston have to do with that, he is the president of a rights group, that is a NON-PROFIT.

And you, the "enlightened" liberal would love to restrict that right into extinction,

but of course the conservative movement is who you will say is killing the constitution, kind of hypocritical don't you think.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2664

It sounds like the real business is the anti-gun lobby to me. Sure, this information comes from one of the numerous gun-lobby groups. The difference? Only about 3 of the aproximately 15 pro-gun organizations make money (NRA, GOA etc.) and it is true that the NRA gets a lot more cash than the all the anti-gun lobby combined. Here's the difference, the Anti-gun people print out about three fliers, get into the newspaper every now and then, and contact a few senators... For thousands of dollars. And where do those thousands of dollars go? To a couple of executives that make up the organization.

The NRA is a lot more than a lobby group, it also was the group that originally set up the CMP (civilian marksmanship program) at the turn of the 20th century, has magazines, and it has tons of information online about all the different laws etc. Not only is the NRA involved in a lot more than just lobbying, but it's staff is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than any anti-gun organization, and the individual persons don't line there own pockets nearly as much as anti-gun lobbymen. In fact, they do a tremendous lot to interact with the government in every case possible.

Do you know what the Irony is in my opinion? That the government allows tax deductions for giving to anti-gun organizations, but not to pro-gun organizations, including the non-profit ones.

HTColeman said:
Why would you want guns like these, what purpose do they serve other than mass killing?

Rifles in .50 BMG have existed all century long, and have been used in virtually NO crimes. Meanwhile, they are used in tons of long - range shooting sports, where they excel. Typically they are large 15-30lb rifles that are about 6 feet long, and hold 5-10 bullets, and are generally single-shot, bolt action, or semi-automatic(that means it fires once per-trigger-pull for the ignorant people who believe sarah brady when she says that is full-auto[machinegun]), and pack one heck of a recoil whallop. Also, the cheapest of these guns are $3000 and they usually range from $7000-12000. To shoot them costs about a dollar to a dollar fifty a round. Does that sound like a weapon that would be used for mass-killing?

M4a1? Well the civilian semi-auto versions have also been existing ever since the AR-15 existed. To date, they haven't been used improportionately to other guns in crime. As far as them being less enticing for crowd killing, Quite frankly, if you really think about it Full-Auto is crap for "mass-killing" Say you were a mass-killer. What would you rather do, waste 30 rounds in about a second or two all into about three people in a crowd, or fire about 1 bullet into about thirty people in a crowd? Full auto isn't like the movies. There are TWO(2) purposes for full-auto. (Why the military has them)

#1, They are good for suppression fire (that means good for keeping the enemies covering)

#2, They are good for EXTREME close quarters. That does not mean for mass-killing. That means getting off as many rounds possible into an individual target as fast as possible to take them down before they take you down.

M60, well, I suppose if you had it belt-fed and a long enough belt, you could cause a significant amount of damage with it. But of course nobody will notice that you are toting a light machine gun into town. The record still has it that these wouldn't be the preferred mechanism to a criminal. Criminals generally have no problem in obtaining any gun they want. 86% of crimes in total are committed with illegally purchased guns, and for another example from the murder-capital of the free world (Washington D.C.) where virtually all guns are banned, 20% of the guns used in crime are home-made. It really isn't too difficult to make guns, even machine guns are simple devices. If I had a pipe, and a welding tool and a few other easy to get raw materials, I myself contain the necessary knowledge to create simple small automatic weapons and easier yet, a simple single-shot zip gun which virtually anybody could make from a pipe a nail and a home made stock and action. Of course, since I don't intend to go to jail for 10 years if I am caught, and I'm not a criminal and don't intend to commit any crimes, I won't be making anything like this anytime soon. But like I said, criminals don't care about the law. The law only prevents law-abiding citizens such as myself from getting the fun stuff.

Also, in 1934, when machineguns were essentially removed from civilians without license there is an interesting thing. Since then and before, there has only been 1(one) crime committed with a legally owned machine gun. The irony here, is that the person who commited a crime, was a police officer!

Before 1934, there are no records of any legal machineguns being used in a crime.

Now, you may be saying, "but, what about the mobsters who have used them and the gangsters and stuff" Well, it may come as a surprise to you, but they just don't care much about the law, and usually prefer to buy guns illegally where they'll be harder to trace anyways. (Even without registration, it'd still be dangerous to buy legally. Guns can be traced to where you bought it based off of credit card information and simple business operations and reciepts. They investigate this stuff for any item used in any crime. That's another reason why Registration isn't very useful for much except for allowing the gov to see exactly where all the guns are so they can take them. And so far every major country that has done registration has taken advantage of it. They said it would never happen in Britain)

In general, for the average murder, any tool ranging from a knife to any sort of firearm is sufficient against attacking an unprepared victim. Where criminals have popularly used machineguns (which have, in ALL cases been illegally obtained ones) they have consistently been used against other gangsters in tactical combat. Once again, tactical combat doesn't mean killing mass numbers of people, that means the capability to take specific objectives efficiently. For example, it might be useful for the military when clearing out buildings if there are insurgents cowering behind the wall ready to fire a burst. Against the unarmed person in a building, time isn't so critical as someone is probably not worrying about being shot or ambushed inside. For the mob, the limited numbers of guns that they had in full auto were useful for killing other mobsters at close range before they could attack back.

The whole point? If criminals wanted machine guns, they could get them. No law is going to stop them from getting at the abundant source of illegally imported, illegally manufactured, and illegally stolen firearms. It's kind of like the prohibition for alcohol. First off, they don't work. Second, they create a whole new line of work for criminals who can get rich off of selling taboo goods.(these are the same criminals who commit a lot of violent crimes) (And it's not like the people buying them [criminals] are going to be spending their own money) Am I saying that criminals don't use machine guns? Well some do, but they are not the majority, and I'm mainly trying to say, that banning them isn't doing a thing to stop them. In fact, with the prices of legal machine guns becoming extremely high due to supply & demand (now theres a lot of civilian law-abiding demand and little supply of legal machineguns) they can actually get them cheaper on the black market, which is unusual for most things sold illegally.

The same is true I believe for the War on Drugs. In fact, I believe that is one of the major things in this country that cause crime. I don't endorse the use of drugs, but I also don't endorse useless spending of tax-payer dollars to increase crime. That's where the majority of the gangs and mafias get formed, is when the people want something that the government won't let them have. Bottom line? If you want something bad enough, you get it.

PhotonicLaceration said:
Rifles in .50 BMG have existed all century long, and have been used in virtually NO crimes. Meanwhile, they are used in tons of long - range shooting sports, where they excel. Typically they are large 15-30lb rifles that are about 6 feet long, and hold 5-10 bullets, and are generally single-shot, bolt action, or semi-automatic(that means it fires once per-trigger-pull for the ignorant people who believe sarah brady when she says that is full-auto[machinegun]), and pack one heck of a recoil whallop. Also, the cheapest of these guns are $3000 and they usually range from $7000-12000. To shoot them costs about a dollar to a dollar fifty a round. Does that sound like a weapon that would be used for mass-killing?

M4a1? Well the civilian semi-auto versions have also been existing ever since the AR-15 existed. To date, they haven't been used improportionately to other guns in crime. As far as them being less enticing for crowd killing, Quite frankly, if you really think about it Full-Auto is crap for "mass-killing" Say you were a mass-killer. What would you rather do, waste 30 rounds in about a second or two all into about three people in a crowd, or fire about 1 bullet into about thirty people in a crowd? Full auto isn't like the movies. There are TWO(2) purposes for full-auto. (Why the military has them)

#1, They are good for suppression fire (that means good for keeping the enemies covering)

#2, They are good for EXTREME close quarters. That does not mean for mass-killing. That means getting off as many rounds possible into an individual target as fast as possible to take them down before they take you down.

M60, well, I suppose if you had it belt-fed and a long enough belt, you could cause a significant amount of damage with it. But of course nobody will notice that you are toting a light machine gun into town. The record still has it that these wouldn't be the preferred mechanism to a criminal. Criminals generally have no problem in obtaining any gun they want. 86% of crimes in total are committed with illegally purchased guns, and for another example from the murder-capital of the free world (Washington D.C.) where virtually all guns are banned, 20% of the guns used in crime are home-made. It really isn't too difficult to make guns, even machine guns are simple devices. If I had a pipe, and a welding tool and a few other easy to get raw materials, I myself contain the necessary knowledge to create simple small automatic weapons and easier yet, a simple single-shot zip gun which virtually anybody could make from a pipe a nail and a home made stock and action. Of course, since I don't intend to go to jail for 10 years if I am caught, and I'm not a criminal and don't intend to commit any crimes, I won't be making anything like this anytime soon. But like I said, criminals don't care about the law. The law only prevents law-abiding citizens such as myself from getting the fun stuff.

Also, in 1934, when machineguns were essentially removed from civilians without license there is an interesting thing. Since then and before, there has only been 1(one) crime committed with a legally owned machine gun. The irony here, is that the person who commited a crime, was a police officer!

Before 1934, there are no records of any legal machineguns being used in a crime.

Now, you may be saying, "but, what about the mobsters who have used them and the gangsters and stuff" Well, it may come as a surprise to you, but they just don't care much about the law, and usually prefer to buy guns illegally where they'll be harder to trace anyways. (Even without registration, it'd still be dangerous to buy legally. Guns can be traced to where you bought it based off of credit card information and simple business operations and reciepts. They investigate this stuff for any item used in any crime. That's another reason why Registration isn't very useful for much except for allowing the gov to see exactly where all the guns are so they can take them. And so far every major country that has done registration has taken advantage of it. They said it would never happen in Britain)

In general, for the average murder, any tool ranging from a knife to any sort of firearm is sufficient against attacking an unprepared victim. Where criminals have popularly used machineguns (which have, in ALL cases been illegally obtained ones) they have consistently been used against other gangsters in tactical combat. Once again, tactical combat doesn't mean killing mass numbers of people, that means the capability to take specific objectives efficiently. For example, it might be useful for the military when clearing out buildings if there are insurgents cowering behind the wall ready to fire a burst. Against the unarmed person in a building, time isn't so critical as someone is probably not worrying about being shot or ambushed inside. For the mob, the limited numbers of guns that they had in full auto were useful for killing other mobsters at close range before they could attack back.

The whole point? If criminals wanted machine guns, they could get them. No law is going to stop them from getting at the abundant source of illegally imported, illegally manufactured, and illegally stolen firearms. It's kind of like the prohibition for alcohol. First off, they don't work. Second, they create a whole new line of work for criminals who can get rich off of selling taboo goods.(these are the same criminals who commit a lot of violent crimes) (And it's not like the people buying them [criminals] are going to be spending their own money) Am I saying that criminals don't use machine guns? Well some do, but they are not the majority, and I'm mainly trying to say, that banning them isn't doing a thing to stop them. In fact, with the prices of legal machine guns becoming extremely high due to supply & demand (now theres a lot of civilian law-abiding demand and little supply of legal machineguns) they can actually get them cheaper on the black market, which is unusual for most things sold illegally.

The same is true I believe for the War on Drugs. In fact, I believe that is one of the major things in this country that cause crime. I don't endorse the use of drugs, but I also don't endorse useless spending of tax-payer dollars to increase crime. That's where the majority of the gangs and mafias get formed, is when the people want something that the government won't let them have. Bottom line? If you want something bad enough, you get it.

I'm sorry, I lose interest easily, so I didn't read your whole post, all I am saying is that civilians have no business using war weapons. I don't hunt, so I don't know the names of these guns but you get my idea, if you are hunting, you don't need to blow the deer away, just kill it painlessly and quick. Self defense, you only need enough to incapacitate the attacker. You said that most guns used in crimes are purchased illegally, but lets keep it that way. It would be a lot worse if they could purchase these guns legally.

HTColeman said:
I'm sorry, I lose interest easily, so I didn't read your whole post, all I am saying is that civilians have no business using war weapons. I don't hunt, so I don't know the names of these guns but you get my idea, if you are hunting, you don't need to blow the deer away, just kill it painlessly and quick. Self defense, you only need enough to incapacitate the attacker. You said that most guns used in crimes are purchased illegally, but lets keep it that way. It would be a lot worse if they could purchase these guns legally.

I would almost agree with you, but I think our nation is growing unstable. If you see enough posts, you'll begin to see what I mean. There is deep-seated rift between the liberals and the conservatives. I think it has grown dramatically under the illegitimate rule of GWB. I'm thinking about getting a gun... just in case something ridiculous happens... and I know that sounds paranoid... but It may be better to be safe than sorry. That's all I am saying. If this was a more perfect world, under different circumstances, I would agree with you. I would say lets replace lethal weapons with non-lethal high-tech incapacitators, and such. But I think we are living in unstable times as a nation. And I do worry the tension could snap. And that would not be a pretty sight if you had to defend yourself against gun-totin red--necks and yahoos!!:shock:

Back
Top Bottom