• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gov. Newsom admits renewable energy failure.

California Facing Largest Power Outages In Its History This Week – Deadline

(Newsom pointed to California’s shift to renewable resources as part of the reason for the supply shortage. Shutting down polluting gas power plants has created gaps in the state’s energy supply, he said.

While the state remains committed to a greener future, Newsom said, “We cannot sacrifice reliability” and promised that officials would be “much more aggressive … in making sure that is the case.)

That quote is buried about half way down.

I sit in comfortably A/C and my food freezers are safe because my power company uses all available resources, and The politicians here aren’t fools in rose colored glasses.

AOC and the ridiculous Democrats want California like power blackouts nation wide.

Your post is like bragging how you have none of the discomfort of wearing a mask, because you refuse, without a word about the virus even existing.

There's not a word in your post about the harm of excessive use of fossil fuels. Of COURSE you can have 'air conditioning' from fossil fuels in the short term. And when your society uses fossil fuels too much, terrible things happen, just as when your society doesn't wear masks. You're simply showing the same sort of mental denial and ignorance issues in both cases, and others.

Can agree with everything you said in your second para and disagree with blaming leftists, given the right’s denial of climate change, Trump saying windmills cause cancer, and other follies. There have been occasional blackouts in California in the 50+ years I have been living here. And yes, the left has pushed for everything from promoting mileage and smog standards to solar power, much as we continue to subsidize petroleum.
I dont own Trumps comments and have ALWAYS been an advocate of advancing technology and better green energy sources as well as the more effective/efficient use of fossil fuels.

Socials/communist/democrats mess up anything they touch.
Ask Venezuela.

We've got real cray cray here. Oh, and to return the favor, ask the Republicans/Nazis/pedophiles.

That's why the US is doing the best in the world on the virus, the right is so competent. Why they've gotten so much done in power, why the American people aren't suffering from record inequality under them. Just listen to them. Virus no problem, see my sig. Fossil fuels are fine!

Can agree with everything you said in your second para and disagree with blaming leftists, given the right’s denial of climate change, Trump saying windmills cause cancer, and other follies. There have been occasional blackouts in California in the 50+ years I have been living here. And yes, the left has pushed for everything from promoting mileage and smog standards to solar power, much as we continue to subsidize petroleum.

Sooner or later, you run out of other people’s money, enjoy your future tax increases that you won’t be able to deduct from your federal taxes.

Californians Leaving the State in Record Numbers

Can agree with everything you said in your second para and disagree with blaming leftists,

Bernie:

This plan will stop the building of new nuclear power plants and find a real solution to our existing nuclear waste problem. It will also enact a moratorium on nuclear power plant license renewals in the United States to protect surrounding communities. We know that the toxic waste byproducts of nuclear plants are not worth the risks of the technology’s benefit, especially in light of lessons learned from the Fukushima meltdown and the Chernobyl disaster. To get to our goal of 100 percent sustainable energy, we will not rely on any false solutions like nuclear, geoengineering, carbon capture and sequestration, or trash incinerators.

The Green New Deal | Bernie Sanders Official Website

Warren:

Warren said Wednesday that she would oppose nuclear energy as a way to combat climate change should she be elected president in 2020.

"We’re not going to build any nuclear power plants and we’re going to start weaning ourselves off nuclear energy and replacing it with renewable fuels," Warren said, adding that she hopes to phase out nuclear power by 2035.

Climate crisis town hall with the 2020 Democratic candidates

There's plenty of anti-nuclear sentiment on the right also.

Nuclear waste is far less of a problem than people think it is, as much of it can be recycled. We just... don't.

Agreed....I don't think many Americans have faith that we can recycle the waste right either. Whether we like to admit it or not we have earned a healthy reputation for doing a lousy job with processes that have to be maintained over a relatively long period of time....like dealing with nuclear waste from power generation would require.

That is what will kill DonDon's idiot wall by the way. That is if he ever builds more than 5 miles of it. One day that thing will be beaten and battered and stopping nothing if it ever does stop anything. That has been one of my major complaints about it forever. It is too easy to damage and we won't maintain its integrity. One of these days we might get wise to ourselves in this country.

Launching anything just to orbit is expensive per unit of payload mass. "Tyranny of the rocket equation" is the phrase used. As payload mass increases, the rocket gets heavier, so needs more fuel for the same delta-v, but the weight of the extra fuel means you need to carry more fuel... the result is a logarithmic increase in fuel requirements as weight increases. End result: moving large masses into space gets very, very expensive.

Of course, we can't just move it into space. Low earth orbit is a terrible place to store thousands of tons of radioactive material. We want it to escape earth so this crap isn't floating around just waiting to be a problem for someone. So we need more delta-v to get it to escape earth's gravity. This puts the waste in a solar orbit. That's better... but it's still going to float out there forever and we'd probably have some responsibility to keep track of it. If you just barely leave earth behind, the ultimate orbit for the waste will still be pretty close to earth's. You could put it in a stable orbit out a ways, maybe between Earth and Mars, but that increases the thrust requirement further.

People sometimes suggest just firing it to the sun. You're actually better off just accelerating to solar escape velocity and leaving the solar system forever. (it's actually MORE thrust to hit the sun than it is to leave solar orbit behind entirely)

Bottom line, the proposition is incredibly expensive.

There's another problem, though. A percentage of rockets launched will just freaking explode. Rockets going to space are essentially enormous bombs, but we control the explosion just enough to not die when we're riding on them. Launch enough rockets full of nuclear waste, and eventually you've just accidentally created a dirty bomb.

Agreed....I don't think many Americans have faith that we can recycle the waste right either. Whether we like to admit it or not we have earned a healthy reputation for doing a lousy job with processes that have to be maintained over a relatively long period of time....like dealing with nuclear waste from power generation would require.

That is what will kill DonDon's idiot wall by the way. That is if he ever builds more than 5 miles of it. One day that thing will be beaten and battered and stopping nothing if it ever does stop anything. That has been one of my major complaints about it forever. It is too easy to damage and we won't maintain its integrity. One of these days we might get wise to ourselves in this country.

Illegal immigration dropped 80 percent in El Paso due to border wall, border chief says

That said, I have already posted an easy solution for dealing with nuclear waste.

A) physical barrier has always been a useful tool when employed as part of a border security system in high population density environments. No surprise there.
B) We could have had multiple layers of security which is really what the "border chief" is touting
C) Outside of high population environments a big bad physical barrier is nothing more than a big white elephant unless you are willing to man it with border security with rules of engagement that include lethality. I am sure lethal rules of engagement would make some of your crowd happy as pigs in slop.

(Newsom pointed to California’s shift to renewable resources as part of the reason for the supply shortage. Shutting down polluting gas power plants has created gaps in the state’s energy supply, he said.

While the state remains committed to a greener future, Newsom said, “We cannot sacrifice reliability” and promised that officials would be “much more aggressive … in making sure that is the case.)

I sit in comfortably A/C and my food freezers are safe because my power company uses all available resources, and The politicians here aren’t fools in rose colored glasses.

AOC and the ridiculous Democrats want California like power blackouts nation wide.

Yeah right, that's what Democrats want. Do the power blackouts come before or after they destroy America? :roll:

That's one good thing about the Electoral College in California, it prevents conservatives from having their voice heard in November. Actually, the Electoral College is an antiquated unpatriotic system created when rich white folks could buy and sell slaves. And like slavery, its time has come and gone...

Typical cluelsessness from the liberals of CA. Nothing like having your power shut down when its 110 outside.

Money does not literally grow on trees. You know that, right?

Sounds to me the problem is not renewable energy but the lack of more renewable generating capacity which will increase as investments are made.

Yeah right, that's what Democrats want. Do the power blackouts come before or after they destroy America? :roll:

That's one good thing about the Electoral College in California, it prevents conservatives from having their voice heard in November. Actually, the Electoral College is an antiquated unpatriotic system created when rich white folks could buy and sell slaves. And like slavery, its time has come and gone...

Nope, EC was genius, still is.

More from the LAT:

During the grid operator’s board meeting Monday, Berberich faulted the commission for failing to ensure adequate power capacity on hot summer evenings, when electricity from the state’s growing fleet of rooftop solar panels and sprawling solar farms rapidly drops to zero but demand for air conditioning remains high. It’s a challenge that will only intensify as California adds more solar panels and wind turbines to meet its targets of 60% renewable electricity by 2030 and 100% emissions-free power by 2045.

Who'''s to blame for California'''s rotating blackouts? - Los Angeles Times

Launching anything just to orbit is expensive per unit of payload mass. "Tyranny of the rocket equation" is the phrase used. As payload mass increases, the rocket gets heavier, so needs more fuel for the same delta-v, but the weight of the extra fuel means you need to carry more fuel... the result is a logarithmic increase in fuel requirements as weight increases. End result: moving large masses into space gets very, very expensive.

Of course, we can't just move it into space. Low earth orbit is a terrible place to store thousands of tons of radioactive material. We want it to escape earth so this crap isn't floating around just waiting to be a problem for someone. So we need more delta-v to get it to escape earth's gravity. This puts the waste in a solar orbit. That's better... but it's still going to float out there forever and we'd probably have some responsibility to keep track of it. If you just barely leave earth behind, the ultimate orbit for the waste will still be pretty close to earth's. You could put it in a stable orbit out a ways, maybe between Earth and Mars, but that increases the thrust requirement further.

People sometimes suggest just firing it to the sun. You're actually better off just accelerating to solar escape velocity and leaving the solar system forever. (it's actually MORE thrust to hit the sun than it is to leave solar orbit behind entirely)

Bottom line, the proposition is incredibly expensive.

There's another problem, though. A percentage of rockets launched will just freaking explode. Rockets going to space are essentially enormous bombs, but we control the explosion just enough to not die when we're riding on them. Launch enough rockets full of nuclear waste, and eventually you've just accidentally created a dirty bomb.

Sounds like a problem that NASA can solve.
Voyager program - Wikipedia

They are both still going.

Money does not literally grow on trees. You know that, right?

How come that is only an issue when it comes to liberal proposals?

Military spending, tax breaks for the wealthy, bailouts for billion dollar companies... we always have the money for that.

Sounds like a problem that NASA can solve.
Voyager program - Wikipedia

They are both still going.

If you're not going to read my posts, don't respond to them.

It will cost trillions of dollars just to get the stuff to low earth orbit. Trillions more to boost it safely away from earth. That sound like a good plan?

While the state remains committed to a greener future, Newsom said, “We cannot sacrifice reliability” and promised that officials would be “much more aggressive … in making sure that is the case.”

Hmmm, I didn't get the sense that there was any failure admission.
It sounds more like Newsom's saying we must do a better job developing better resources.
I'm not particularly fond of the guy but I still don't hear any admission of failure.
The difference between your state and mine is, your state has completely different geography, because if half your state sat in a series of BOWLS or BASINS that collect and intensify smog like ours does, you'd be thinking twice about coal just as we are.

Ramping up more residential solar and other backups will mitigate our shortages somewhat but we're also experiencing RECORD heat right now.
Two to three weeks from now this will not be an issue out here.
Two or three weeks from now California average temps will be back in the 80's again for the most part.

Congratulations on launching the 123,478,902,395,885th California bashing thread of the year.

California doesn't have a military - and it soon won't have any billion dollar companies.

How come that is only an issue when it comes to liberal proposals?

Military spending, tax breaks for the wealthy, bailouts for billion dollar companies... we always have the money for that.

How many more are you willing to build to meet your energy needs, and BTW I applaud the lefts embrace of nuclear energy. Now if you guys can only get a little bit more realistic about radioactive waste matter storage and disposal, we'll really be on the way to embracing...wait...isnt Nuclear energy just another fossil fuel?

No. How is nuclear a fossil fuel? Explain.
Personally I think we should have beat the Indians and Chinese in the development and deployment of thorium nukes.
The tech is mature and stable, and it's been tested ad nauseum, time to pull the trigger in a big way.

More people working from home because of the virus. They're using more electricity.

True for home electrical use. On the flip side the office building should be using less if workers are working from home.

Back
Top Bottom