• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Girls doing homework outside Taco Bell

Should we help these girls get wifi?

• No, wifi is a person expense

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Yes, we can help our whole society by giving out free wifi

Votes: 28 75.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The poll wording is wrong. The question should be "should YOU be required to buy these girls home internet and wifi?"

i'm fine with providing public wifi for everyone. it's going to happen eventually anyway, IMO.
That's very generous of you - but can you really afford it?

I don't know where this picture was taken but in my area the public school system has found a way that everyone can have internet access without sitting outside a Taco Bell.
California.

That's very generous of you - but can you really afford it?

Yeah, we did the rural electrification act. It's a similar thing. Plus, it would piss off the right, and the right has taught us that pissing off the other side is important.

Yeah, we did the rural electrification act. It's a similar thing. Plus, it would piss off the right, and the right has taught us that pissing off the other side is important.
Oh, so what you meant to say is that you're ok with OTHER people paying for it.

Oh, so what you meant to say is that you're ok with OTHER people paying for it.

It's called society. You're free to move to Somalia if you don't like it.

It's called society. You're free to move to Somalia if you don't like it.
No it's not. It has nothing to do with "society."

No it's not. It has nothing to do with "society."

Yes, it does. Perhaps society can buy you a plane ticket, as well. Of course, you'll have to pay off some warlords, but i suppose that you'll just have to bootstrap that part. If society won't pay for your ticket, I'll donate to any gofundme that you start.

California.

So lefties are saying that lefty California, who is looking into slave reparations while giving illegals free healthcare and stimulus checks, can't provide internet service to the poor for school?

salinas-students-otuside-taco-bell-1598636865.jpg

Should we as a nation do something for these girls? Get them wifi at the very least?

No. You as an individual should do something and encourage others to too. Taco Bell, if it wants to, should do something (and what a potential PR bonanza). Helix is right that someday there will be something eventually.

But that day is not today, and Tacomancer is right: "wifi is actually a terrible protocol to just have out in the wild. There is a reason its not used in cellular networks."

Yes, it does. Perhaps society can buy you a plane ticket, as well. Of course, you'll have to pay off some warlords, but i suppose that you'll just have to bootstrap that part. If society won't pay for your ticket, I'll donate to any gofundme that you start.
Perhaps you can go found the first "society" in Somalia by being okay with other people paying for wifi there.

Perhaps you can go found the first "society" in Somalia by being okay with other people paying for wifi there.

I'm not the one who has a problem with society. I'm good with the public sector, and I pay my share.

So lefties are saying that lefty California, who is looking into slave reparations while giving illegals free healthcare and stimulus checks, can't provide internet service to the poor for school?
They've really wrecked their school system. People got fed up with all the taxes. Still a great state for higher education, but K-12 ranks among the poorest states in the country.

Technically, public wifi is not really so much wide range as that there are consistent points of broadcasts for it, enough to cover most distances. That being said, the band that reaches furthest without needing more broadcast points (APs) is 2.4GHz, which is slower and older, which means some devices cannot operate on it and it is more prone to interference.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

yes, but they can place it in key places so that kids can do their homework and allow for hotspots to be provided regardless of the parent's having or not having a proper social security number...because after all if they aren't in the classroom we still have to figure out how they are going to receive classes...these kids were sitting out in the heat on a sidewalk at Taco Bell so they could do their homework.

The poll wording is wrong. The question should be "should YOU be required to buy these girls home internet and wifi?"

you're already required to pay for the air conditioning and heat, lights, water etc in the school...this is no different especially since there are no in person classes.

I don't know where this picture was taken but in my area the public school system has found a way that everyone can have internet access without sitting outside a Taco Bell.

I am in South Carolina and there are many rural areas, including mine without broadband wifi. I have my things attached to a phone....and only Verizon works in my area for cell service and not a lot of people that are low income can afford it.

Last edited:
They've really wrecked their school system. People got fed up with all the taxes. Still a great state for higher education, but K-12 ranks among the poorest states in the country.

really now.
The 10 states dead last in education are

New Mexico
Alabama
Nevada
Alaska
Louisiana
Mississippi
Arizona
Oklahoma
West Virginia
South Carolina
Arkansas

notice something interesting there? How many are red states...and none of them are California

salinas-students-otuside-taco-bell-1598636865.jpg

So this image was taken.

The girls were sitting outside of Taco Bell to connect to the Taco Bell wifi so they could do their homework. They don't have wifi at home and their mom is a seasonal fruit picker who sells flowers on the side, so they don't have a lot of money.

And COVID isn't helping.

Should we as a nation do something for these girls? Get them wifi at the very least?

It's not like they aren't trying.

I might be inclined if it cuts down my personal cost and provides relatively-decent service. My internet is overpriced and is not particularly good and Comcast Xfinity pretty much has a monopoly in our area anyway. Little would change I would imagine.

yes, but they can place it in key places so that kids can do their homework and allow for hotspots to be provided regardless of the parent's having or not having a proper social security number...because after all if they aren't in the classroom we still have to figure out how they are going to receive classes...these kids were sitting out in the heat on a sidewalk at Taco Bell so they could do their homework.

Yes and no. The more rural the area, the more issues that come from such setups. There are also things that can interfere with that signal.

I support getting community wifi in as many places as feasible but there are issues no matter how it is setup. It would work best to setup in places like parks and areas where people can have power and be able to distance while still maintaining signal. Then put out the places that have that public wifi available. The public needs to be understanding as well of dead zones or places where interference may occur. An interactive map built and provided by either the city or the service provider could help not only locating the best Hotspot spots for public wifi but also for identifying both known (hard to fix or temporary things affecting wifi in an area, such as construction) or unknown (maybe an AP goes down) issues to both the public and back to the provider and/or city.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Who pays for it?

Does money grow on trees?

We can just give less money to billionaires and oil companies this year.

really now.
The 10 states dead last in education are

New Mexico
Alabama
Nevada
Alaska
Louisiana
Mississippi
Arizona
Oklahoma
West Virginia
South Carolina
Arkansas

notice something interesting there? How many are red states...and none of them are California
Most states are red states, so no surprise there. California has among the highest per capita income and is something like 37th in education.

Who is going to be providing this "free" wifi? Even with a booster, wifi still has a limited range and bandwidth.

Not really. Most major cities have city wide wifi. I can connect to Xfinity wifi almost anywhere in or near a moderate to large city. Sometimes it is glitchy when I am driving but if I am sitting still it is pretty good. So the infrastructure and tech are there. Cost is the real factor.

Not really. Most major cities have city wide wifi. I can connect to Xfinity wifi almost anywhere in or near a moderate to large city. Sometimes it is glitchy when I am driving but if I am sitting still it is pretty good. So the infrastructure and tech are there. Cost is the real factor.

OK, but Xfinity (a Comcast internet service plan) costs about $40/month (or $480/year) - that is far from "free".

OK, but Xfinity (a Comcast internet service plan) costs about $40/month (or $480/year) - that is far from "free".

Your post questioned the bandwidth and range of wifi. I pointed out that those concerns are resolved and clearly stated that cost was the factor and never said that it wasn't or that it was free.

Back
Top Bottom