• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Girls doing homework outside Taco Bell

Should we help these girls get wifi?

• No, wifi is a person expense

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Yes, we can help our whole society by giving out free wifi

Votes: 28 75.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Pandemic and the effects it is having on people is a Federal problem as well.

Does that go for the children of illegal aliens?

In the past libraries handled internet, but internet needs even for neccessities have long moved past what public libraries can handle.

Every public library I know of has Wi-Fi.

salinas-students-otuside-taco-bell-1598636865.jpg

So this image was taken.

The girls were sitting outside of Taco Bell to connect to the Taco Bell wifi so they could do their homework. They don't have wifi at home and their mom is a seasonal fruit picker who sells flowers on the side, so they don't have a lot of money.

And COVID isn't helping.

Should we as a nation do something for these girls? Get them wifi at the very least?

It's not like they aren't trying.

I live in a poor, rural area where this has been a problem, too. Organizations are trying to help, but it's expensive to pay for wi fi and often the laptops, too, that they needed for remote access. We have begged for federal grants, the local bank started a program to get them second hand equipment, but it's nowhere near enough. Everything comes down to money and the legislators don't understand what poor means, or what they were asking when they locked down the schools and said let them learn remotely. It was about like saying, "Let them eat cake."

Every public library I know of has Wi-Fi.

Every public library I know of is closed. People sit in the parking lot to use the wi fi, but it's about the same as sitting at Taco Bell, and a lot of our poorest residents don't have cars to get to the library, anyway. I hope those employees invited them inside to sit at a table, at least. I would have bought them a taco, too. Bless them and their mom for trying so hard.

Every public library I know of is closed. People sit in the parking lot to use the wi fi, but it's about the same as sitting at Taco Bell, ...

Which is the point I was making.

The post I replied to implied that libraries with internet were a thing of the past. As you and I both seem to agree: they are not. :)

That was just printed?

Monopoly money?

Nice work

Some of it was printed. Most of it was electronic.
Some received a $1200 printed check.

So... giving internet access to possibly illegal alien/permanent resident kids is going to change that?

Just when I heard everything!

Going to change what?

Does that go for the children of illegal aliens?

it goes for everyone...and most of those children are US citizens, regardless of who their parents are. BTW, you still have yet to prove that those 2 kids are illegal immigrants....or how about just admit that when you see a brown person you automatically think illegal.

Which is the point I was making.

The post I replied to implied that libraries with internet were a thing of the past. As you and I both seem to agree: they are not. :)

even if they were open, this may not be an option...computers at the library are usually limited to 1 hour..and school is much more than 1 hour.

even if they were open, this may not be an option...computers at the library are usually limited to 1 hour..and school is much more than 1 hour.

Well, they're just there to use the Wi-Fi, so...

Yes. But I don't really know what that has to do with the library.

my point was that the library is not an alternative, because of the following

1: the library is closed due to Covid
2: there are limits on the computer usage to 1 hour

So, clearly if they need to be online for more than an hour, even if it were open, this would not be a realistic option.

Back
Top Bottom