• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gerrymandering being destroyed one state at a time

THems some awful big crocodile tears there Edwin.
You'll have to excuse me while I try to get a hold of a real Marine friend of mine to ascertain what, if anything, this might actually mean.

Not me who's been whining and crying about those big bad Republicans gerrymandering poor widdy-biddy Dems out of their vote.
This thread is actually about celebrating the whooping of republican ass in court about gerrymandering. Guess you missed that.

You'll have to excuse me while I try to get a hold of a real Marine friend of mine to ascertain what, if anything, this might actually mean.
You are talking to a real Marine. But you getting personal now... Looks like I did hit a nerve. :LOL:

***This thread is about celebrating whooping republican ass in court about gerrymandering. Guess you missed that.
Either that or I just don't give a **** about posters trying to control the discussion. Particularly when the thread title is "gerrymandering is being destroyed one state at a time". Seems appropriate to provide counter-arguments to the threads assertions.

Last edited:
Another case headed for the Supreme Court with a rather interesting argument from the GOPers who filed the suit.

Wisconsin Republicans Want Supreme Court To Block Map That Adds A Black-Majority District

Republicans in the Wisconsin Legislature filed an emergency application with the U.S. Supreme Court on March 3, arguing that a new map of state legislative districts selected by the state’s Supreme Court violates the Voting Rights Act.

State Republicans argue that the redistricting plan constitutes a “21st century racial gerrymander.” In their filing to the U.S. Supreme Court, they argue that the map dilutes Black voting power by reducing the overall percentage of Black voters in each district.

But those percentages were reduced in order to add a seventh Black-majority district in Milwaukee.

This argument is “a little odd” coming from Republicans, said Mark Gaber, senior director of redistricting at the Campaign Legal Center, a nonprofit that represented clients in the state litigation who favored the creation of a seventh Black district. That’s because the map the Republican-controlled state legislature initially drew, and wants the Supreme Court to adopt, reduced the number of Black-majority districts from six to five.

I agree that gerrymandering is bad; but gerrymandering isn't just changing districting in one's favor, it's also keeping and protecting what districting happens to be in one's favor - when re-districting is actually warranted.

And the DNC is heavily invested in maintaining current districting that happens to be in their favor, whether it's warranted or not.

So the true evil here isn't with the GOP, it's with the DNC.
ANY gerrymandering is bad. We know Democrats do it to, just not as much. It's bad then too.

Go Marc Elias go!

Off the floor and out the door. Go Marc go.

What a maroon.

Gerrymandering, just another way to cancel our votes.
No, it isn't. It's a way to concentrate votes not cancel them.

It's wrong on both sides.
That's as it may be but it's hardwired into the system. You can redirect it, but you can never get rid of it.

Another case headed for the Supreme Court with a rather interesting argument from the GOPers who filed the suit.
It is. Most of the objections are racially motivated. Democrats are racist. Who'da thunk it?

That's all well and good. However, unless something is done about Texas the Republicans are going to take over the House in Jan 2023. And then the country is truly ****ed.

At this point, the GOP won't even need Texas. But we like Texas and Texans. That is why we have fundraisers for them to finish the border fence. Imagine paying for something twice. There are new fence parts strewn all over Texas, out in the open for all to see, only to be told that Biden said that we can't use it - that it can sit there and rot. Nice.

One illegal alien killed a 5-year-old girl in Florida when he literally ran over her in the back seat of her mother's car. The Sheriff is well known for his YouTube broadcasts and took full advantage. "HE is not supposed to be here. If HE was not here, SHE (the 5 year old girl) would still be alive. Biden however, says that he doesn't think DUIs are serious at all. I mean.... well, the illegal alien only had16 beers before "borrowing" (GTA) a truck and since he has never driven before, didn't know he needed headlights on at night to see or that he should not do 70/40 zone.

Biden, certainly do-nothing VP Harris, Pelosi, AOC, Schumer, along with the rest of your cast of characters has done you in and there is absolutely no way out for you; no way in hell that you will retain the House majority nor the current 50/50 Senate (even though officially it really is 50=GOP; 48=Democrat; 2=Independant as my kids pointed out to me -- and NO, I was unable to explain to them why if the GOP has the most, democrat Schumer is the Senate leader). Good question though.

Biden said he would select a black, female VP - and he did, even though there certainly were better choices - and if ever there was a president that needed an incredibly strong VP, it is Biden. There is nothing wrong with relying on your VP at all. Biden's age alone should have dictated what he truly needed in a VP. That should have been at the top of the list. You democrats really blew that one and left this country with the absolute "dumb and dumber" leadership team. Thanks ever so much. I really don't know who Biden could have chosen that would have been worse than Harris, if such a person exists. This is exactly what happens when positions are given out on the basis of race, age, religion, sex, etc... instead of a concept that seems extremely foreign to you all called "MERIT".

Biden could not possibly have been a worst president at the exact right time doing every single thing imaginable - dead wrong. There is no doubt whatsoever in this household along with the hundreds of other residents in this private property/gated/and now guarded (since a bad BLM visit and attempted walkthrough on our private property - HOA land) beach community that Biden is absolutely much, much worse than former President Jimmy Carter on any day of his very-long 4-year presidency.

I wondered how Biden would handle being a leader. I don't wonder anymore.

Say what you want about Trump - democrats seem to think that anyone who voted for Trump is a "Trumper" or whatever other stupid name you are calling him today is, or we are cult followers or whatever other asinine title you all think we are, but a great many of us voted for Trump because of Republican values, the last word there being something ever so completely foreign to a democrat. I will admit to being caught off guard by all of the beyond stupid and absurd democrat tricks starting with the redefinition of words and not telling anyone of the new definitions. I as well as my kids, including my 6 year-old, call this deception, i.e., cheating and lying. He is right.

Meanwhile, Biden openly breaks and ignores federal law and you all give him a pass. SCOTUS ruled last summer that upon expiration that the CDC was NOT to extend the 'no eviction' order. Cavanaugh announces it, then Biden comes on the screen and orders the CDC director to extend the 'no eviction' order. She does. Biden says on live TV "well... I guess this is unconstitutional, but..." and walks off-screen. "Impeachment on-the-spot Pelosi" is nowhere to be found. Every person that follows politics at all remembers that day. And who can ever forget the cover-up -- Virginia high school rapes. Then you label the father of the victim a "Domestic Terrorist"!! The movies could not have done a better job. The AG is a real piece of work too.

As the election nears, hopefully, the GOP will repeat ad nauseam "Are you better off today than you were 2 years ago?" No one, absolutely no normal person in the US except for rich democrats like Pelosi and Clinton can answer "YES" honestly -- and now Hunter and his $500,000 paintings.

Good luck!

At this point, the GOP won't even need Texas. But we like Texas and Texans. That is why we have fundraisers for them to finish the border fence. Imagine paying for something twice. There are new fence parts strewn all over Texas, out in the open for all to see, only to be told that Biden said that we can't use it - that it can sit there and rot. Nice.

One illegal alien killed a 5-year-old girl in Florida when he literally ran over her in the back seat of her mother's car. The Sheriff is well known for his YouTube broadcasts and took full advantage. "HE is not supposed to be here. If HE was not here, SHE (the 5 year old girl) would still be alive. Biden however, says that he doesn't think DUIs are serious at all. I mean.... well, the illegal alien only had16 beers before "borrowing" (GTA) a truck and since he has never driven before, didn't know he needed headlights on at night to see or that he should not do 70/40 zone.

Say what you want about Trump - democrats seem to think that anyone who voted for Trump is a "Trumper" or whatever other stupid name you are calling him today is, or we are cult followers or whatever other asinine title you all think we are, but a great many of us voted for Trump because of Republican values, the last word there being something ever so completely foreign to a democrat. I will admit to being caught off guard by all of the beyond stupid and absurd democrat tricks starting with the redefinition of words and not telling anyone of the new definitions. I as well as my kids, including my 6 year-old, call this deception, i.e., cheating and lying. He is right.

Meanwhile, Biden openly breaks and ignores federal law and you all give him a pass. SCOTUS ruled last summer that upon expiration that the CDC was NOT to extend the 'no eviction' order. Cavanaugh announces it, then Biden comes on the screen and orders the CDC director to extend the 'no eviction' order. She does. Biden says on live TV "well... I guess this is unconstitutional, but..." and walks off-screen. "Impeachment on-the-spot Pelosi" is nowhere to be found. Every person that follows politics at all remembers that day. And who can ever forget the cover-up -- Virginia high school rapes. Then you label the father of the victim a "Domestic Terrorist"!! The movies could not have done a better job. The AG is a real piece of work too.

As the election nears, hopefully, the GOP will repeat ad nauseam "Are you better off today than you were 2 years ago?" No one, absolutely no normal person in the US except for rich democrats like Pelosi and Clinton can answer "YES" honestly -- and now Hunter and his $500,000 paintings.

Good luck!

So many words, yet so little to say.

"Are we better off than 2 years ago"....Absolutely. We no longer have Trump lying to us about how deadly Covid is, while 500,000 Americans die.

We no longer have Trump being Putin's bitch, trying to dismantle NATO for Putin.

We no longer have unqualified buffoons working in the White House, like Jared Kushner and Trump's idiot children. Not to mention Trump himself.

We no longer have a traitor in the White House who tried to overthrow our government on Jan 6. I could go on and on.

Yes, we are much better off.

What's the matter? Don't republicans have an attorney working their side that could hold a candle to Marc Elias? No one is stopping republicans from contesting the maps.

All the republican attorney's in the news lately are suspended or being investigated for one thing or another. Maybe Rudy could represent you in NY. :cool:
Nope...

Giuliani’s license to practice law in New York was suspended in a ruling that cited his “false and misleading statements” about the election loss of former President Donald Trump.​

Nope...

Giuliani’s license to practice law in New York was suspended in a ruling that cited his “false and misleading statements” about the election loss of former President Donald Trump.​
Yes, I am aware. It was a joke. It was my whole point.

Gerrmandering, just like the electoral college, has the ability to take power away from the actual people.

"The Republican advantage crumbled, even before this cycle’s redistricting began. A string of court rulings in North Carolina, Florida, Pennsylvania and Virginia eroded or eliminated some of the party’s most valuable gerrymanders."

Awesome

Gerrmandering, just like the electoral college, has the ability to take power away from the actual people.
Give voters the opportunity to over turn and make both illegal!

SCOTUS and the voting rights act allowed to cite race as evidence as unjust electoral districts.
So comply with this, states 'gerrymandered' "majority-minority" districts so as to increase the likelihood of electing blacks to Congress, state legislatures etc.
Indeed, Progressives have been wailing over the demise of the provisions of the VRA that require federal oversight in certain states of elections to ensure this.

But the result is the creation of more 'majority-majority' districts.
The Democrats in general and progressives in particular didn't care about that because, back in the day, it was reasonable to expect those districts to elect Democrats to those office.
That is no longer the case. They are electing Republicans, and the perpetual lock on Congress is no longer assured. So now suddenly 'gerrymandering' becomes a vital national crisis, democracy is in danger, and no longer voting for the Democrat in these majority majority districts is s sign of racism.

In other words, the 'gerrymandering' crisis is a canard-- and as the the OP points out, not a serious issue.
The real crisis is that progressives might lose in elections.

Last edited:
SCOTUS and the voting rights act allowed to cite race as evidence in unjust electoral districts.
So comply with this, states 'gerrymandered' "majority-minority" districts so as to increase the likelihood of electing blacks to Congress, state legislatures etc.
Indeed, Progressives have been wailing over the demise of the provisions of the VRA that require federal oversight in certain states of elections to ensure this.

But the result is the creation of more 'majority-majority' districts.
The Democrats in general and progressives in particular didn't care about that because, back in the day, it was reasonable to expect those districts to elect Democrats to those office.
That is no longer the case. They are electing Republicans, and the perpetual lock on Congress is no longer assured. So now suddenly 'gerrymandering' becomes a vital national crisis, democracy is in danger, and suddenly no longer voting for the Democrat in these majority majority districts is s sign of racism.

In other words, the 'gerrymandering' crisis is a canard-- as the the OP points out, not a serious issue.
The real crisis is that progressives might lose in elections.
are you really arguing that made NC do THIS????...

NC Old Gerrymandered District 12.png

Back
Top Bottom