• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

For Those Opposing Gay Marriage: Answer This One Question: How Does It Affect You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: For Those Opposing Gay Marriage: Answer This One Question: How Does It Affect You

Exactly.

Thank you :2wave:

No problem. The two points clearly contradict each other. One must be flawed in order for the other to be correct.

Personally, I would say that if Captain America restated his position as: "Gay marriage only affects those who enter a gay marriage and those who care for those people" it would no longer contradict.

Re: For Those Opposing Gay Marriage: Answer This One Question: How Does It Affect You

Moderator's Warning:
Just thought I'd pop in and say "hi" and wish walleye a good time on his two week vacation. Now, there seem to be a few, here that would still like to discuss the topic. I hope the next time I log on, I see that. If not, I'll leave the thread to the Basement. And, any intentional act to further taint this thread, will be met with a similar fate as to what happened to walleye.

:lol:

You said taint....

Childishness aside, I agree with Captain America that the only people gay marriage truly affects are homosexuals who want to get married. Therefore I really see no reason not to allow it. I don't think most people's opinions of whether they are for or against gay marriage should really have any bearing on whether or not it is actually allowed considering that it doesn't really affect most people directly. If it is allowed it's not like you have to start agreeing with it.

No problem. The two points clearly contradict each other. One must be flawed in order for the other to be correct.

Personally, I would say that if Captain America restated his position as: "Gay marriage only affects those who enter a gay marriage and those who care for those people" it would no longer contradict.

OK. I'll say that then. :mrgreen:

I might take it further in that successful marriage per-se reduces drop-out rates, juvenile crime, and similar.

IMO, divorce has a genuine sociological cost, so therefore marriage has a genuine sociological benefit, and therefore affects everyone.

I lose respect for "gay rights" when people say it only affects the people getting married, as that point of view doesn't even allow for how marriage affects the children of the married couple.

OK. I'll say that then. :mrgreen:

Ahh, ok.

In that case, since my sister was (yes "was") gay and one of my grandparents is gay, gay-marriage per-se affects me and therefore I can have a legitimate say even if being affected is required to have an opinion on the issue.

I may have an opposing view, which of course reflects how I have been affected, but you went ahead and played the "homophobe" card before knowing if/how I was affected. You shut down communication before it could ever occur.

I care less about "gay rights" as a result.

I might take it further in that successful marriage per-se reduces drop-out rates, juvenile crime, and similar.

IMO, divorce has a genuine sociological cost, so therefore marriage has a genuine sociological benefit, and therefore affects everyone.

I lose respect for "gay rights" when people say it only affects the people getting married, as that point of view doesn't even allow for how marriage affects the children of the married couple.

But you could take this logic and use it as an excuse to micromanage everyone's life. Twinkies lead to obesity. Obesity leads to bad health. Bad health leads to death. Death leads to orphans.

War affects children too.

And BTW, kids get over things faster than adults. They are resilient.

:lol:

You said taint....

Childishness aside, I agree with Captain America that the only people gay marriage truly affects are homosexuals who want to get married. Therefore I really see no reason not to allow it. I don't think most people's opinions of whether they are for or against gay marriage should really have any bearing on whether or not it is actually allowed considering that it doesn't really affect most people directly. If it is allowed it's not like you have to start agreeing with it.

How many gay-couples, who would get married today if they could, are already living together?

How many gay-couples, who would get married today if they could, are already living together?

That is totally irrelevant to the issue.

If only one couple wants to do so, there is an obligation by the state to make marriage equally accessible.

But you could take this logic and use it as an excuse to micromanage everyone's life. Twinkies lead to obesity. Obesity leads to bad health. Bad health leads to death. Death leads to orphans.

War affects children too.

And BTW, kids get over things faster than adults. They are resilient.

DP has a troll named after that falicey....

That is totally irrelevant to the issue.

If only one couple wants to do so, there is an obligation by the state to make marriage equally accessible.

If you don't think the divorce rate is relevant to the issue of marriage, then we should just agree to disagree.

Look, since the knee bone eventually connects to the neck bone and there is only six-degrees of seperation between heaven and hell, it's logical to say that everything effects everybody I suppose, if one wants to approach it that way.

But as far as someone else's marriage, be it gay or straight, affecting others outside the marriage, I think the most negative effect, laid upon others as a result of marriage, is divorce by far. That screws up kids, families, and society as a whole. So why don't we just outlaw all marriages and get rid of divorces once and for all? (When pigs fly, huh?)

If anyone REALLY cared about others, they would outlaw divorces long before they would outlaw gay marriage. But we all know that ain't gonna happen. Talk about specks and planks.

So, anyone who isn't on their soapbox denouncing divorce, but denouncing gay marriage, their words are falling on my deaf ears. No matter how that spin or justify their insecurities, at the end of the day it all just boils down to homophobia in my humble opinion.

If you don't think the divorce rate is relevant to the issue of marriage, then we should just agree to disagree.

Well it hasn't been all that relevant to the marriage issue when it comes to heterosexuals....

Why should it be? The divorce rate is already sky high as is. What difference would it make? I personally don't understand why some people hold the institution of marriage as some majorly sacred thing that shouldn't be tampered with. There are reality shows about marriage. People in Vegas get married by guys dressed as Elvis Presley. I'm not saying that it isn't important to some, but overall I'd say it's not that sacred.

Well it hasn't been all that relevant to the marriage issue when it comes to heterosexuals....

Being a hetero in the middle of divorce right at this very moment myself, I can tell you under my own credulity that it is extremely relevant.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on that, but I would qualify that by pointing out divorce between couples with children has a genuine sociological cost, but if the couple has no children, there is no cost.

This is a different issue, though, since current law has no stipulations about family formation being a requirement of marriage.

Further, if we want to reduce the genuine societal costs of divorce, we should make more stringent rules guiding divorces where there are children involved. Perhaps requiring waiting periods and marriage counseling for those seeking divorce when they have children together (or even in general, as is done in many European countries).

The marriage of people without children does not affect children, though.

If straight couples are allowed to get married without stipulation regarding children, then gay couples should be as well, IMO.

If the gay couple chooses to have children (through adoption or other means), then the same rules should apply to them as would straight couples.

Marriage without children has no real benefit to society, nor is there any legitimate detraction from society due to it, regardless of the genders of the marriage participants.

If we as a society want to make marriage a valuable tradition again, as well as being equally applied, then we should either:

A) Make a stipulation regarding having children within the first five years of marriage or the benefits of marriage cease (regardless of the gender of the marriage participants)

OR

B) Make divorces much more difficult for those married couples that do have children (again regardless of the genders of the marriage participants)

In either of these scenarios, we would actively seek to improve society based on the beneficial societal impacts of marriage, and not on arbitrary distinctions of the participants of marriage. Personally, I'd be in favor of the second option over the first because other factors could be in action preventing procreation within the given time-span.

Being a hetero in the middle of divorce right at this very moment myself, I can tell you under my own credulity that it is extremely relevant.

Your anecdote is not evidence.

Why should it be? The divorce rate is already sky high as is. What difference would it make?

My point exactly.

If gays are going to divorce as often as heteros, why should I support gay-marriage when I don't support the majority of hetero marriages?

"Gays will have a 50% divorce rate" is hardly a convincing argument.

Your anecdote is not evidence.

You gave no evidence either, only opinion, so I guess we're even :2wave:

So heterosexuals' failure at the institution has nothing to do with allowing homosexuals to marry.

My point exactly.

If gays are going to divorce as often as heteros, why should I support gay-marriage when I don't support the majority of hetero marriages?

I'm just saying that it's not like marriage is a sacred institution as is. The divorce rate is already high and I don't see what difference it will make.

You divorce has no relevance on my marriage.

My point exactly.

Evidence of Gays having a 50% divorce rate?

I don't necessarily disagree with you on that, but I would qualify that by pointing out divorce between couples with children has a genuine sociological cost, but if the couple has no children, there is no cost.

This is a different issue, though, since current law has no stipulations about family formation being a requirement of marriage.

Further, if we want to reduce the genuine societal costs of divorce, we should make more stringent rules guiding divorces where there are children involved. Perhaps requiring waiting periods and marriage counseling for those seeking divorce when they have children together (or even in general, as is done in many European countries).

The marriage of people without children does not affect children, though.

If straight couples are allowed to get married without stipulation regarding children, then gay couples should be as well, IMO.

If the gay couple chooses to have children (through adoption or other means), then the same rules should apply to them as would straight couples.

Marriage without children has no real benefit to society, nor is there any legitimate detraction from society due to it, regardless of the genders of the marriage participants.

If we as a society want to make marriage a valuable tradition again, as well as being equally applied, then we should either:

A) Make a stipulation regarding having children within the first five years of marriage or the benefits of marriage cease (regardless of the gender of the marriage participants)

OR

B) Make divorces much more difficult for those married couples that do have children (again regardless of the genders of the marriage participants)

In either of these scenarios, we would actively seek to improve society based on the beneficial societal impacts of marriage, and not on arbitrary distinctions of the participants of marriage. Personally, I'd be in favor of the second option over the first because other factors could be in action preventing procreation within the given time-span.

I couldn't agree with you more.

If we as a society want to make marriage a valuable tradition again, then certainly we can't start by supporting a demographic who's main argument is "we will have a 50% divorce rate"...because it's precisely the 50% divorce rate we're trying to get away from.

You gave no evidence either, only opinion, so I guess we're even :2wave:

Oh there is a broad range of evidence so, no, we aren't even. I'm still one up on you.

FACT: Divorce rate in the US is 49%.
FACT: Divorce can be obtained for any reason, often simply citing "irreconcilable differences" when no reason can be offered.
FACT: Marriages have and do occur on a whim only to be dissolved within 24 hours as nothing more than a publicity stunt.
FACT: Marriage is used as nothing more than a prize at the end of a reality tv show every season.

Conclusion: Heteros ought to be protecting marriage from the real threat, themselves, rather than going on about homos that haven't done the first thing to undermine the sham that marriage has become at heterosexual hands.

Evidence of Gays having a 50% divorce rate?

I was shut down before I could make that argument.

It's irrelevant, remember?

I'm open to support, actively supporting and fighting for gay-marriage.

The typical gay-marriage I would fight for resembles the typical hetero-marriage I would fight for.

Living together before marriage statistically increases the rate of that marriage's failure. Therefore, since I speak out and say hetero's shouldn't do it, I'm speaking out and saying gays shouldn't do it either.

I don't support heteros who already live together to get married so why should I support gays who already live together to get married? Because gays will have the same rate of divorce? That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom