• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Finally! Mom tased for not wearing a mask

Why? She wasn't harming anybody and the state has outlined an exception for people with respiratory illnesses.

TikTok, Karens, creating laws, privilege, .. I'm confused.

It's simple. She broke a rule. Yes, she is white and therefore privileged in almost every aspect of her life, and so it is natural for her to think that the rules and the laws don't apply to her, but she was just mistaken.

This is the mistake that, judging by the videos I've seen, at least dozes and dozens of white people across the country have come to realize.

The rules apply to them. If they break a rule, they can't just say, "Oh, but I have [random disease]," which may or may not be true.

Their words mean nothing. At all. Yes, they've had this privilege all of their lives, but there is a pandemic, you see. And there are rules in place to slow the spread of that pandemic, rules that trump the privilege of white people.

She broke a rule. Then she broke multiple laws. She thought it was all right to do that. She was wrong.

She was informed that she had to leave. She disagreed. She tried to stay. She was informed that she was breaking the law of criminal trespass. She didn't care. She decided to stay, again thinking herself privileged enough to ignore the law.

And so it went, until the officer filled her with electricity and frog-marched her moronic ass from the venue, like so many others.

She doesn't get to create her own rules and laws that say, "Except for Karen. Karen can do as she feels."

She's not special.

It is almost impossible that this situation can be confusing to anyone. Just not possible.

So let people whine about it. It's all on video. Their position is indefensible.

Could you cite some cases of parents banned from school grounds winning the ability to attend a school sponsored sporting event? That kind of case is outside my usual area of interest. How about a statute or case law that defines school property as a public forum during school sponsored activities outside regular school hours?

It's simple. She broke a rule. Yes, she is white and therefore privileged in almost every aspect of her life, and so it is natural for her to think that the rules and the laws don't apply to her, but she was just mistaken.
This is racist. You lost me at racist.

Ok.

She won't be paying for anyone's attorney fees other than her own.

Oh no, she certainly might. That's something that could happen. And that would be the appropriate conclusion.

Actually, if she truly wants to keep paying the moron tax, she needs to dig in, believe that she was wronged, get a lawyer, and file that complain as soon as possible.

I want video of her face when the judge dismisses and orders her to pay those attorneys fees.

Her face will probably look much like it did when this officer zapped her.

This is racist. You lost me at racist.

G'bye, then. I'll be right here when you can think clearly again.

White people don't get to exempt themselves from rules and laws.

There's a certain voltage at which that lesson will be learned, but we haven't found it yet.

Thanks, it's a start. Too late for me to read it all now but I'll get to it. Interesting to note though is that that is a case out of Connecticut, and we're talking about Ohio, so it isn't relevant to this case specifically. I guess I'm moving the goalposts, but we're talking about state laws and two different states can be totally different. So, I'll read it, but it would be more helpful to have Ohio case law or statutes cited.

Out of curiosity, who exactly are you calling "idiots" and "morons"?

Anyone who believes masking laws are unjust/unnecessary/oppressive, or just those people who believe this so strongly that they flout the law?
I'd say "Anyone who believes masking laws are unjust/unnecessary/oppressive" is a moron; those that flout the law are idiots. JMHO.

A pandemic has started?

Okay, first thing, hurry, while people are dying, let's set up a study that controls for variables for some random guy on the Internet who is too dumb to understand the effectiveness of masks.

What? We did that, at the cost of 20,000 lives, and now he wants it to be done in a different way? Oh, so frustrating. Is he sure what he wants this time? He said he was absolutely positive last time. Then suddenly he wasn't absolutely positive anymore. Are you sure that he doesn't just lack the mental toughness to admit when he's wrong? . . . Okay. We'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's pretty rough, ignoring all of those dying people simply to cater to this guy's need for a scientific study when it isn't necessary, but okay, he has his own rules, he never took a science class, let's switch into lowest common denominator mode and do a second study for this guy. Stanley, you babysit him. Make sure he understands how to breathe.

. . . Huh? Two studies in a row, following all of his requests, and he's still confused?

Pretty rough for the 60,000 dead.

How about this? Why don't we just take him out and blow his miserable brains out? Sound good? We'll tell him that there's a sale on the miniature Snickers, behind that building over there.

Another case of intentional ignorance.

She was tased for refusing to leave after being trespassed and then for resisting arrest.
You realize you are delegitimizing most of the 'peaceful' protest going on in America today?

Last edited:
A pandemic has started?

Okay, first thing, hurry, while people are dying, let's set up a study that controls for variables for some random guy on the Internet who is too dumb to understand the effectiveness of masks.

What? We did that, at the cost of 20,000 lives, and now he wants it to be done in a different way? Oh, so frustrating. Is he sure what he wants this time? He said he was absolutely positive last time. Then suddenly he wasn't absolutely positive anymore. Are you sure that he doesn't just lack the mental toughness to admit when he's wrong? . . . Okay. We'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's pretty rough, ignoring all of those dying people simply to cater to this guy's need for a scientific study when it isn't necessary, but okay, he has his own rules, he never took a science class, let's switch into lowest common denominator mode and do a second study for this guy. Stanley, you babysit him. Make sure he understands how to breathe.

. . . Huh? Two studies in a row, following all of his requests, and he's still confused?

Pretty rough for the 60,000 dead.

How about this? Why don't we just take him out and blow his miserable brains out? Sound good? We'll tell him that there's a sale on the miniature Snickers, behind that building over there.
For example, It's difficult to determine the effectiveness of wearing masks to save lives in this pandemic (since just wearing a mask isn't done to save lives from this pandemic) like it's difficult to determine how fairly the cops treat black people if someone riots every time a black person is injured by the cops.

This is not quite correct. A "warning", or notification of some kind is actually required.

That is why "No Trespassing" signs exist.
You realize you are delegitimizing most of the 'peaceful' protest going on in America today?

This wasn't her first instance of this kind of behavior. She was handled just fine by requesting she follow the districts rules but refused. She was in control of her situation up until she chose not to leave and resisted arrest.

What do you think. Will some other parents show up and throw tantrums too? It's like her mother was oblivious that her daughter refused to comply to wearing a mask and was refusing to leave. She outright says "all this over a mask?" No mommy, all this because your daughter thought she was entitled. Actually, the moms reaction shows why Ms Kitt thought she was special. Always somebody else bad, not my poor Alicia!
What I think is that Ms. Kitts didn't expect that she wouldn't be confronted, or that if she was confronted her peers would support her decision to flout the law.

You're absolutely right that when she was confronted, the proper thing for her to do was either leave or put on a mask. (You're also absolutely right to say she should have been obeying the rule in the first place.) However, I also know that the moment she was confronted and accused, her sense of dignity and justice was threatened. Her adrenaline starts pumping, her heart rate jumps, and her body goes into fight-or-flight. In this case, something about the confrontation made her choose 'fight'--clearly.

My position is that, for her good, for the good of her family, for the good of the school, for the good of the millions of spectators to this event, the approach in #1016 would have been the wiser strategy once her state of mind became clear. Furthermore, I reject the contention of some that the SRO failing to drag her kicking and screaming out of the arena would inspire others to violate the law.

I contend the truth is precisely the opposite: that the heavy-handed approach and certain members' glorying in it, dehumanizing Ms. Kitts, is far more likely to inspire a profound contempt for the law. It's this contempt that will breed more masking scofflaws.

i'm calling those who believe that this shit is over and go out maskless as a political statement idiots. i see it every day.
How do you know Ms. Kitts falls into this boat? There are a dozen reasons people oppose masking. On DP, the majority rationale is that masking is ineffectual, a violation of the person by the state (i.e. in the same category as anti-abortion laws), and indefensibly burdensome in light of the alternatives. Why can't Ms. Kitts be the same, in which case she fails to meet your criteria above?

My greater point is that you're not doing your side any favours by calling your ideological opponents idiots and morons. Unless you think that my calling you an idiot would make you all the more amenable to my position.

A sign at a venue doesn't make something the law.
I'm 99% positive that if she fights this in court on the basis that the school didn't have the legal authority to eject her, she'll lose. Hence call it a "law", "bylaw", "rule", "requirement" or whatever, but I agree with those here who claim it can be rigorously enforced with the blessing of the courts.

How do you know Ms. Kitts falls into this boat? There are a dozen reasons people oppose masking. On DP, the majority rationale is that masking is ineffectual, a violation of the person by the state (i.e. in the same category as anti-abortion laws), and indefensibly burdensome in light of the alternatives. Why can't Ms. Kitts be the same, in which case she fails to meet your criteria above?

My greater point is that you're not doing your side any favours by calling your ideological opponents idiots and morons. Unless you think that my calling you an idiot would make you all the more amenable to my position.

I'm 99% positive that if she fights this in court on the basis that the school didn't have the legal authority to eject her, she'll lose. Hence call it a "law", "bylaw", "rule", "requirement" or whatever, but I agree with those here who claim it can be rigorously enforced with the blessing of the courts.

i don't know anything about her, nor do i care. i'm talking about what i see every day, and i'm offering a solution to fix the problem.

For the hundredth time.

She wasn't tased for not wearing a mask.

That is a lie.

She was tased for resisting arrest after being trespassed.
But, the root cause of the trespass arrest was because she didn't wear a mask.

Bottom line... It was because she didn't wear her mask, no matter how you try to rationalize it.

i don't know anything about her, nor do i care. i'm talking about what i see every day, and i'm offering a solution to fix the problem.
What post is that in?

Bottom line... It was because she didn't wear her mask, no matter how you try to rationalize it.
The distinction is that she'd been permitted to leave, and didn't.

By analogy, if a bank robber is thrown in prison and shot attempting to escape the prison, we can't reasonably claim that the punishment for bank robbery is death, even though the robbery was the root cause of the man's attempting to escape.

It was because she resisted arrest after being trespassed.

The claim she was tased for not wearing a mask it a lie.

She chose this course of action.

What post is that in?

the post in which i proposed fining stores five hundred bucks per maskless moron. i'm not going to dig through forty three pages to find it for you.

Ohio has carved out an exception for mask wearing if you have a respiratory illness. It isn't unreasonable to presume that even if there are signs posted that your medical exception means you can remain in attendance on public property.

She didn't just magically become asthmatic upon entering the area. Every website on the topic of asthma and facemasks says similar things. The main point? If you can't deal with a face mask, then stay home. If you have no choice but to go out, make it fast. Ask your Dr for suggestions.

• There is no evidence that wearing a face mask makes asthma worse. While we support and advocate that people follow CDC recommendations, some people with asthma do not feel they can breathe adequately while wearing a mask. If that’s true for you, try to avoid going to public places as much as possible. Being in public without a face mask may increase your chances of passing on a COVID-19 infection to others, even if symptoms are not present.

I've got family members with asthma that goes from occasional wheezing to so extreme they don't dare be without their inhalers. None that I've heard of fall ill in a mask. I also have friends locally who are asthmatic and all but one wear a mask with no issues. The other one wears a face shield. Which is an option Kitts was told she could use.

It's obvious Kitts doesn't suffer from severe asthma just by observing her actions. She seems more like Fred in Sanford and son.

the post in which i proposed fining stores five hundred bucks per maskless moron. i'm not going to dig through forty three pages to find it for you.
So... when Ms. Kitts refused to put on a mask or leave the arena, the school should be fined $500?

That's an... interesting... approach. 😐

Back
Top Bottom