• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FDA wants to simplify the use and updating of Covid-19 vaccines

The efficacy wanes, especially when the dominant variant changes to Omicron, but the efficacy for preventing severe infection (hospitalization/death) persists for much longer….possibly years.

Yep. The bolded is what I was referring to. Thanks!

My understanding:

Long after a vaccination, we may not have much - if any - active antibodies cursing around our system. But, our body still has memory to detect and attack re-infection by producing more antibodies.

One of the big problems with Covid is the virus was novel to us. By the time some of our bodies recognized we were under attack and figured-out how to fight the virus, it had already gained strong foothold establishing a high viral load.

Since we're no longer biologically naïve these days, either through vax or infection, our system more quickly recognizes the virus and more quickly rallies to our defense.

--

Does my theory/understanding sound legit?

Last edited:
Yep. The bolded is what I was referring to. Thanks!

My understanding:

Long after a vaccination, we may not have much - if any - active antibodies cursing around our system. But, our body still has memory to detect and attack re-infection by producing more antibodies.

One of the big problems with Covid is the virus was novel to us. By the time some of our bodies recognized we were under attack and figured-out how to fight the virus, it had already gained strong foothold establishing a high viral load.

Since we're no longer biologically naïve these days, either through vax or infection, our system more quickly recognizes the virus and more quickly rallies to our defense.

--

Does my theory/understanding sound legit?
Absolutely correct.

But moreover, the immune system is pretty complex, and it looks like the immunity induced by exposure is pretty solid systemically, which will protect from lung involvement, but the upper repiratory immune system, which is slightly different, can still get overwhelmed by variants. That’s why post vax exposure shows up as a mild/moderate cold often, without it escalating further.

Absolutely correct.

But moreover, the immune system is pretty complex,

You don't say? :p

and it looks like the immunity induced by exposure is pretty solid systemically, which will protect from lung involvement, but the upper repiratory immune system, which is slightly different, can still get overwhelmed by variants. That’s why post vax exposure shows up as a mild/moderate cold often, without it escalating further.

Thanks a lot for your reply & your insight, here. It's much appreciated.

This is heartening news, leaving the only concern being, "Could their be cumulative effect or danger from multiple exposure?".

I've seen this last postulated (here), but have no idea if there's any indications to the positive or contrary.

You don't say? :p

Thanks a lot for your reply & your insight, here. It's much appreciated.

This is heartening news, leaving the only concern being, "Could their be cumulative effect or danger from multiple exposure?".

I've seen this last postulated (here), but have no idea if there's any indications to the positive or contrary.
Not sure why you’d have cumulative effects.

Theres a million viruses and bacteria you are exposed to over and over, they don’t cause problems.

Not sure why you’d have cumulative effects.

Theres a million viruses and bacteria you are exposed to over and over, they don’t cause problems.

Me either, which is why I questioned the claim.

Thanks, again.

--

I think the key takeaway is the feds are now proposing responding to Covid similar to the flu.

I think this is a good thing, as it would seem to indicate a return to (relative) normalcy.
Since I have never gotten a flu shot in my entire life and never will this won't apply.

This new scheme is the reason Democrats need to go and fast.

I see it as a way of stringing people along, like “go ahead and get your five shots now but maybe, some time in the future, you won’t have to. No promises though.”
You get a flu shot every year. Why would you think Covid would be any different. I think some of y’all are just scared of needles.

You get a flu shot every year. Why would you think Covid would be any different.
Well because it is different. Who has said that a single Covid shot once a year is good enough?
I think some of y’all are just scared of needles.
Oh, if you want an admission that I don’t generally like shots, I’ll admit to that. I’m not phobic about it and have had many shots in my lifetime, but yeah, sorry, it’s not my favorite thing.

Well because it is different. Who has said that a single Covid shot once a year is good enough?

Oh, if you want an admission that I don’t generally like shots, I’ll admit to that. I’m not phobic about it and have had many shots in my lifetime, but yeah, sorry, it’s not my favorite thing.
It’s not anyone’s favorite thing. The current recommendations seem to be settling around one booster a year shortly before cold and flu season.

Since I have never gotten a flu shot in my entire life and never will this won't apply.

This new scheme is the reason Democrats need to go and fast.

I don't see your problem, here. You're under no mandate, whereas others may desire vaccination. Why would there be a problem with this?

I don't see your problem, here. You're under no mandate, whereas others may desire vaccination. Why would there be a problem with this?
What dud Biden say of disobedient first responders again when asked if they should be fired if they weren't vaxxed? What did the military demand? What is being demanded for a transplant?

What dud Biden say of disobedient first responders again when asked if they should be fired if they weren't vaxxed? What did the military demand? What is being demanded for a transplant?

What relevance does this have to my OP or your decision to get vaccinated?

BTW - the country moved on. That's the point of my OP.

It’s not anyone’s favorite thing. The current recommendations seem to be settling around one booster a year shortly before cold and flu season.

Exactly. Similar to an annual flu shot.

What relevance does this have to my OP or your decision to get vaccinated?

BTW - the country moved on. That's the point of my OP.
Only because Biden was sued several times and lost. And because RTEAL science proved your scientists wrong.

Sorry to disappoint but most people recover from Covid even without the vaccine. I finally got it mid December. It was most definitely not the worse thing I’ve ever had.

You have no evidence or statistics to back this broad claim. Your personal experience is just that. Meaningless as to the big picture. So don’t be sorry, no one is taking your word for anything having to do with COVID.

--

I think the key takeaway is the feds are now proposing responding to Covid similar to the flu.

I think this is a good thing, as it would seem to indicate a return to (relative) normalcy.

Too bad this normal thread will turn into the usual nonsense when the nutters crap all over it with unsubstantiated claims. But thanks anyway for being a voice of reason in the bizarre politicized world of COVID and vaccines.

You have no evidence or statistics to back this broad claim. Your personal experience is just that. Meaningless as to the big picture. So don’t be sorry, no one is taking your word for anything having to do with COVID.
It’s all good. It is a little sad you’ve been convinced that Covid is more deadly than it is.

It’s all good. It is a little sad you’ve been convinced that Covid is more deadly than it is.

It’s much more sad that over a million deaths doesn’t qualify for you as deadly.

I didn’t say it wasn’t deadly.

You claimed that I am incorrect in my assessment of how deadly it is. I based it on 1 million dead. Do you want to keep playing games with the word deadly? I don’t.

I said that most people that get Covid recover from it which you took issue with. You want something to back that up? Here: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

That doesn’t back your claim. What matters is also how contagious it is, which makes it more possible for people to contract it. This increases the mortality rate versus those viruses that don’t spread as widely or are as contagious. Also, this is in a world that created and used vaccines and took other steps to slow its spread. So this doesn’t measure the true mortality rate of COVID had nothing been done at all.

--

Let's hope they are more successful at keeping up with the Covid variants then they have been with the Flu variants.

Let's hope they are more successful at keeping up with the Covid variants then they have been with the Flu variants.

Let’s hope people will make a better attempt not to spread COVID or the flu than they have so far.

Back
Top Bottom