• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FDA wants to simplify the use and updating of Covid-19 vaccines

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The US Food and Drug Administration wants to simplify the Covid-19 vaccine process to look more like what happens with the flu vaccine, according to documents posted online on Monday. That could include streamlining the vaccine composition, immunization schedules and periodic updates of Covid-19 vaccines.

The FDA said it expects to assess circulating strains of the virus that causes Covid-19 at least annually and decide in June which strains to select for the fall season, much like the process to update annual flu vaccines.

Moving forward, the agency said, most people may need only one dose of the latest Covid-19 shot to restore protection, regardless of how many shots they have already received.

--

I think the key takeaway is the feds are now proposing responding to Covid similar to the flu.

I think this is a good thing, as it would seem to indicate a return to (relative) normalcy.

--

I think the key takeaway is the feds are now proposing responding to Covid similar to the flu.

I think this is a good thing, as it would seem to indicate a return to (relative) normalcy.

That implies that the FDA is basically calling Covid an endemic.

This change won't satisfy the anti-vaxxers. Nothing will.

Correct, the only that would satisfy that crowd is COVID somehow never happening in the first place removing the need for a societal response.

Do you realize how ineffective the flu vaccines are? And with the known damage caused by the COVID vaccines (not to mention the massive increase in sudden heart failure deaths in healthy young vaccinated adults) is that REALLY a good thing...more guessing, altering drugs based on expectation of possible variants?

“Most people may need only one dose” to restore protection. They’ve been saying this awhile now.

Do you realize how ineffective the flu vaccines are?
Medical professionals are.

That’s why they are strongly recommended for all at risk.
And with the known damage caused by the COVID vaccines (not to mention the massive increase in sudden heart failure deaths in healthy young vaccinated adults) is that REALLY a good thing...more guessing, altering drugs based on expectation of possible variants?
There’s very rare adverse effects, and it’s highly likely that the most intense effects from the vaccine, like myocarditis, are mild in comparison to what would happen in an unvaccinated individual.

But those are just facts, and you never seemed to into that stuff.

Do you realize how ineffective the flu vaccines are? And with the known damage caused by the COVID vaccines (not to mention the massive increase in sudden heart failure deaths in healthy young vaccinated adults) is that REALLY a good thing...more guessing, altering drugs based on expectation of possible variants?
And so the alternative is what? Don't update the vaccines at all, or don't offer them anymore at all because they don't work, update more often?

It's also worth nothing that there's a significant amount of "known damage caused by" COVID, especially in unvaccinated individuals. Should we just ignore that or what? Use "hopes and prayers" instead of vaccines?

There’s very rare adverse effects, and it’s highly likely that the most intense effects from the vaccine, like myocarditis, are mild in comparison to what would happen in an unvaccinated individual.

Its not that risky.

not to mention the massive increase in sudden heart failure deaths in healthy young vaccinated adults)
Yeah, that increase correlates precisely with Donald Trump moving into our White House. I've run the numbers.

That ain't coincidence. MAGA is deadly for our young healthy adults.

Can you think of why ‘they’ might have been saying this for a while?
I see it as a way of stringing people along, like “go ahead and get your five shots now but maybe, some time in the future, you won’t have to. No promises though.”

--

I think the key is to follow the lead of "Shingles Doesn't Care!" --- "COVID DOESN'T CARE!" but Pfizer/Moderna protects....or however you want to put it, but the point is, COVID doesn't care and just like Shingles, you need a vaccine to protect yourself, and if they market it the right way, like they SHOULD have the last three years, we might see more takers and the result will be more manageable.

--

It is not a response similar to flu, it is a response that recognizes Covid will be endemic in our society. Just like the flu (but not yet-still around 50 k cases a week I think).

I think the key is to follow the lead of "Shingles Doesn't Care!" --- "COVID DOESN'T CARE!" but Pfizer/Moderna protects....or however you want to put it, but the point is, COVID doesn't care and just like Shingles, you need a vaccine to protect yourself, and if they market it the right way, like they SHOULD have the last three years, we might see more takers and the result will be more manageable.
What would help more than anything is to have a vaccine that the people who get it would feel confident in its protection regardless of the vaccination status of others.

The thrust of my OP is not about technicalities, but rather it is about exemplifying the pandemic is becoming more akin to the more common flu.

IOW, we're normalizing of sorts. That's a good thing!

Correct, the only that would satisfy that crowd is COVID somehow never happening in the first place removing the need for a societal response.

Yep. That's my purpose in my OP. Exemplifying we continue to 'normalize'. And dayem if it don't feel good!

As to the anti-vax crowd, I suspect they will use this latest bit to claim Covid was, "nothing more than the flu".

The thrust of my OP is not about technicalities, but rather it is about exemplifying the pandemic is becoming more akin to the more common flu.

IOW, we're normalizing of sorts. That's a good thing!
I would agree about the normalizing...not so much about the casual promotion of an untested vaccine. We know the flu vaccines are far more often than not not effective...but there arent indicators that it is killing people.

I have long said that the people that should be invested in talking to their doctors about taking the COVID vaccines are the 99.6% of the population that is at risk of dying already from advanced age or multiple comorbid and potentially fatal illnesses. Now, with the correlation to stroke in the elderly, that may not be the case.

What would help more than anything is to have a vaccine that the people who get it would feel confident in its protection regardless of the vaccination status of others.

The only factor in that is the well funded anti-vaxx movement.
Your best buddies invented that with the help of a similar handful of former hippie-dippie "wellness community" do-gooders like Jenny McCarthy and I think the two groups should have a mass anti-vaxx orgy so that the entire bunch contracts major COVID and relieves the rest of us of the curse by doing what happens when Nature takes its course.

1674498420548.png

Minus the Trumpy anti-vaccine idiots, a handful of people still would have been scared but overall, the public would have griped, bitched and moaned but most of them would have just taken the shots just as they did during the post-Salk 1950's when polio vaccines began to get handed out.
The responsibility for the anti-vaxx movement rests squarely on those two groups of people, Jenny-ites and Republicans who love Trump.

Last edited:

I think it's interesting to note the info I've been getting locally seems to be the recent hospital crowding of around a month ago, was as much other transmissible illnesses as it was the recent Covid surge.

Apparently that illness that infects mainly kids - forgot the name - was around as many ER admissions as Covid. If my source is accurate, that is.

“Most people may need only one dose” to restore protection. They’ve been saying this awhile now.

You realize vaccines of this nature only protect for a limited time, right. Which is why they're given annually?

You're hoping for a magic bullet that's not based in reality.

Who cares if they're satisfied?

I see it as a way of stringing people along, like “go ahead and get your five shots now but maybe, some time in the future, you won’t have to. No promises though.”
That might be how you see it.

But you'd be wrong.

No one ever promised lifetime immunity from the vaccine.

The only factor in that is the well funded anti-vaxx movement.
Your best buddies invented that with the help of a similar handful of former hippie-dippie "wellness community" do-gooders like Jenny McCarthy and I think the two groups should have a mass anti-vaxx orgy so that the entire bunch contracts major COVID and relieves the rest of us of your curse by doing what happens when Nature takes its course.

View attachment 67433590

Minus the Trumpy anti-vaccine idiots, a handful of people still would have been scared but overall, the public would have griped, bitched and moaned but most of them would have just taken the shots just as they did during the post-Salk 1950's when polio vaccines began to get handed out.
The responsibility for the anti-vaxx movement rests squarely on those two groups of people, Jenny-ites and Republicans who love Trump.
Sorry to disappoint but most people recover from Covid even without the vaccine. I finally got it mid December. It was most definitely not the worse thing I’ve ever had.

It is not a response similar to flu, it is a response that recognizes Covid will be endemic in our society. Just like the flu (but not yet-still around 50 k cases a week I think).

At this point, unless a more dangerous variant arises, I can't say I'm seeing huge differences between Covid and other serious flus & coronaviruses - terms of societal mitigation.

That might be how you see it.

But you'd be wrong.

No one ever promised lifetime immunity from the vaccine.
Forget lifetime, how about 4 months and how about it actually protect against infection? All too much to ask?

Back
Top Bottom