• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite Military training

11Bravo

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
From Army basic or OSUT, to Air Force, to the Marines/Navy, to predeployment/rediness training....what's your favorite? Any Rangers in here? PJs? Got anyone from the SF community?

I myself was neither in special operations nor SF.

I went to OSUT at Ft benning nearly a decade ago (wow feel old). Our training was intense. 16 straight weeks of Basic/AIT. Now a days I hear stories about recruits getting "stress cards" to throw at Drill Sergeants....please tell me that aint so!

Back on track:

UCT or Urban Combat Training was my favorite. This was a predeployment "war game" our unit participated in, back in '08. It was really intense training, essentially a 48 hour FTX that really resembled call of duty (lol). We participated with the screaming eagles and some EOD unit. It was a good time, especially for those of us in the National Guard, who see little "action" when stateside, except for AT.

What about you? Favorite training???

I had a good time in French Commando School (abbreviated) in 1985.

From the schools I had:

- Infantry OSUT (Benning)
- Airborne School (Benning)
- 2x SFAS (Bragg, didn't get selected)
- Sniper School (Benning)
- German Airborne School (Altenstadt, Germany)
- Prime Power School (Ft. Belvoir, VA)

Of that I think I enjoyed Sniper School or German Airborne School the most, for obvious reasons. :)

From the schools I had:

- Infantry OSUT (Benning)
- Airborne School (Benning)
- 2x SFAS (Bragg, didn't get selected)
- Sniper School (Benning)
- German Airborne School (Altenstadt, Germany)
- Prime Power School (Ft. Belvoir, VA)

Of that I think I enjoyed Sniper School or German Airborne School the most, for obvious reasons. :)

Sniper school must have been excellent. In the Guard, we rarely had anyone sent there. Usually we have a marksman attached to our unit when deployed. Also, in OSUT they had volunteer slots for Airborne but my CC refused to pay for me to go, so that wasn't cool.

The fact that you participated in the 18Xray training is very impressive. Most don't get selected, and most soldiers don't even tryout.

From Army basic or OSUT, to Air Force, to the Marines/Navy, to predeployment/rediness training....what's your favorite? Any Rangers in here? PJs? Got anyone from the SF community?

I went to OSUT at Ft benning nearly a decade ago (wow feel old). Our training was intense. 16 straight weeks of Basic/AIT. Now a days I hear stories about recruits getting "stress cards" to throw at Drill Sergeants....please tell me that aint so!

Back on track:

UCT or Urban Combat Training was my favorite. This was a predeployment "war game" our unit participated in, back in '08. It was really intense training, essentially a 48 hour FTX that really resembled call of duty (lol). We participated with the screaming eagles and some EOD unit. It was a good time, especially for those of us in the National Guard, who see little "action" when stateside, except for AT.

What about you? Favorite training???

Firefighting, US NAVY. It was a blast.

Never been through anything too crazy, unfortunately - Just Basic, and AIT, followed by Pre-Mob, and WLC.

Out of all of them, I think I enjoyed Pre-Mob the most. It was essentially just a refresher on everything we learned in Basic, minus all the screaming and smoke sessions, and we were able to get internet access and take-out in the barracks for our downtime. :lol:

MOUT school was probably the most fun but M-60 school was a close second.

Bradley Master Gunner's Course at Fort Benning and, anytime I was involved in IFV gunnery.

The 45B course at Aberdeen Proving Grounds was neat.

While the Defense Language School will drive you more insane (you can't become a military linguist unless you're already insane), everything else is amazingly good.

The funny part is that that rumor started in the 1990's....well before you joined. You're one the people who were supposed to have gotten the stress cards.
snopes.com has a good article on it: Stress Cards It seems that in the mid 1990's the Navy issued cards with how to deal with stress and who to talk to. Apparently, some sailors started pulling out their stress cards while being disciplined. Because of that idiocy, the Navy stopped giving out the cards. But the rumor kept going and added the Army and Air Force as well.
Back on track:

While the Defense Language School will drive you more insane (you can't become a military linguist unless you're already insane), everything else is amazingly good.

The funny part is that that rumor started in the 1990's....well before you joined. You're one the people who were supposed to have gotten the stress cards.
snopes.com has a good article on it: Stress Cards It seems that in the mid 1990's the Navy issued cards with how to deal with stress and who to talk to. Apparently, some sailors started pulling out their stress cards while being disciplined. Because of that idiocy, the Navy stopped giving out the cards. But the rumor kept going and added the Army and Air Force as well.
Back on track:

I took that language test a while back....the DLAB or whatever? Yea my original MOS was human intel, which required a language, and then I switched that to my secondary MOS right before I left for Basic. With infantry, it was easier to volunteer for deployments...in the Guard you can hop on a plane with a unit from another state.

I took that language test a while back....the DLAB or whatever? Yea my original MOS was human intel, which required a language, and then I switched that to my secondary MOS right before I left for Basic. With infantry, it was easier to volunteer for deployments...in the Guard you can hop on a plane with a unit from another state.

Yep..the Defense Language Aptitude Battery. One of the strangest tests you've ever taken. And pretty useless as an indicator.

They dropped the languge requirement for 35M (formerly 97E) years ago. They've talked about bringing it back, but it's doubtful.

You wouldn't have had any problems getting deployments as a 35M...MI is always short-handed.

Yep..the Defense Language Aptitude Battery. One of the strangest tests you've ever taken. And pretty useless as an indicator.

They dropped the languge requirement for 35M (formerly 97E) years ago. They've talked about bringing it back, but it's doubtful.

You wouldn't have had any problems getting deployments as a 35M...MI is always short-handed.

During the surge, I did some cool training with those guys. Did a security mission for our AT. Was really cool- those dudes are high speed.

the entire formal and informal progression of infantry skills training was intense.... up until the SNCO level, then it got kinda boring.
I can't really choose a favorite, though.. I mean, there's a lot of school and courses.. each pretty badass in it's own way.... and then there are the differences in training from my generation to the current one.
for example, we received, in part, what would today be considered special forces training...but today's special forces training is far more developed.

meh, put a weapons system in my meat-beaters and give me live rounds... i'll have fun.

I do, however, prefer training exercises to formal "schools" ( except for SEA)....learning individual skills is fun, but not nearly as fun as incorporating them into an operational training environment.

I was actually supposed to have gone to that school back in 2013. I scored high enough on the DLAB to qualify for any language course the Army has to offer.

Unfortunately, however, it ultimately turned out that my unit at the time was making promises that its funding couldn't actually deliver. The whole thing wound up getting scrapped as such. :roll:

Last edited:
Firefighting, US NAVY. It was a blast.

Boot camp had the added addition of gas mask training before the start of firefighting, but the full 2 day course out in the fleet was awesome, going through the smokehouse with the OBA was really cool.

But my favorite was LMET. I wish I could remember what the movie was called they showed us at the end, but great course, one of the few I could stay awake for. Worst was VIDS/MAF class. 2 days on filling out a form I already filled out multiple times a day, with an instructor who was every bit as bored as we were.

I was actually supposed to have gone to that school back in 2013. I scored high enough on the DLAB to qualify for any language course the Army has to offer.

Unfortunately, however, it ultimately turned out that my unit at the time was making promises that its funding couldn't actually deliver. The whole thing wound up getting scrapped as such. :roll:

You still in?

Boot camp had the added addition of gas mask training before the start of firefighting, but the full 2 day course out in the fleet was awesome, going through the smokehouse with the OBA was really cool.

But my favorite was LMET. I wish I could remember what the movie was called they showed us at the end, but great course, one of the few I could stay awake for. Worst was VIDS/MAF class. 2 days on filling out a form I already filled out multiple times a day, with an instructor who was every bit as bored as we were.

We went through the gas chamber in the Army. Worst 5 minutes of my life, but it cleared up ALL of my sinus problems.

We went through the gas chamber in the Army. Worst 5 minutes of my life, but it cleared up ALL of my sinus problems.

I did my service week in bootcamp at the firefighting course, which means I got to do the gas chamber the first day of service week, the last day of service week, then a week later for training. I leanred one important lesson from all that: if I am somewhere that they fire tear gas at, I am leaving.

I did my service week in bootcamp at the firefighting course, which means I got to do the gas chamber the first day of service week, the last day of service week, then a week later for training. I leanred one important lesson from all that: if I am somewhere that they fire tear gas at, I am leaving.

Lol I am with you. Any teargas or OC spray and I'm running.

Droppin a packet, eh? Congrats! For flight?

Thanks. :mrgreen:

Nah, I'm going for an MI MOS. I heard the wait list for flight school was insane right now.

Besides, the private sector tends to pay pretty well for analysts. Lol

Thanks. :mrgreen:

Nah, I'm going for an MI MOS. I heard the wait list for flight school was insane right now.

Besides, the private sector tends to pay pretty well for analysts. Lol

um YAAA! Come up and live in Arlington where I live. Take that TS/SCI to one of the THOUSANDS of contractors in the area and enjoy your starting salary of 75K+

um YAAA! Come up and live in Arlington where I live. Take that TS/SCI to one of the THOUSANDS of contractors in the area and enjoy your starting salary of 75K+

Yessir! I just need another deployment and a grade a bit more marketable than E5 to put on my resume, and I should be pretty much set. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom