• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

External TV Speakers

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
We replaced a small tv in the kitchen with an INSIGNIA model from AMAZON. The internal speaker is tinny and low output, even at or near max volume. There is a mini RCA jack on the rear that says “audio output” and has an icon for headphones. I tried to connect two different speakers using the jack and neither will play the tv sound. As soon as the jack is plugged in, the internal speaker shuts off, but there is no output on the connected speaker. Both of the speakers that I tried have the spring-loaded clip and are red/black. I marked the red wire before I modified the connectors and have correct polarity. I also went to the “settings/sound” menu and all I could do was turn off the internal speaker. The internal still plays with the setting in the “off” position.

I can’t locate the operators manual right now.

I think the audio out jack on your TV is line level (1 volt or less), and that would not be sufficient to power external speakers. You would need some form of amplification between the line-level audio output and your external speaker(s).

OR you could get powered speakers, which have built-in amplifiers. These require AC power, of course.

Does your TV have RCA type audio out jacks?

1708200767039.jpegThe tv accepts the single connector pictured, it’s called a mini 3.5mm.

We replaced a small tv in the kitchen with an INSIGNIA model from AMAZON. The internal speaker is tinny and low output, even at or near max volume. There is a mini RCA jack on the rear that says “audio output” and has an icon for headphones. I tried to connect two different speakers using the jack and neither will play the tv sound. As soon as the jack is plugged in, the internal speaker shuts off, but there is no output on the connected speaker. Both of the speakers that I tried have the spring-loaded clip and are red/black. I marked the red wire before I modified the connectors and have correct polarity. I also went to the “settings/sound” menu and all I could do was turn off the internal speaker. The internal still plays with the setting in the “off” position.

There's a reason there's an icon for headphones on that audio output connection: It's for headphones, which require far less power than external speakers. What SkyChief said is correct. You need different speakers.

OK, I have found the appropriate screen for pairing a BT speaker. My interest is minimal wiring, there is a “clean” look with only a 110v cord showing. Is there a BT speaker that has a small footprint and improved sound? And what powers the speaker?

I was up on the latest technology at a time in my past………not anymore……

Is there a unit that will plug into house current and has a small footprint?

OK, I have found the appropriate screen for pairing a BT speaker. My interest is minimal wiring, there is a “clean” look with only a 110v cord showing. Is there a BT speaker that has a small footprint and improved sound? And what powers the speaker?

There are plenty of small rechargeable BT speakers and headphones available at low cost, which would only require being plugged in to (re)charge.

What ttwtt said..

Try this. I have a soundbar the only drawback, most things on fire tv won't play through it but everything on xfinity does.

Hell, even something as this would be better than the speakers shoved in the back of most TV's anymore. Even higher end ones. I have a large Sharp, Samsung, and a Toshiba(stored as a backup), and they all suck.
I think it's done on purpose to get you to buy sound systems. Conspiracy!!

Probably wouldn't plug in due to location of jack, but a male/female 3.5 cord can take care of that and place the speaker wherever.
No power needed.

Insignia is actually the Best Buy house brand.

You should be able to hook up a pair of cheap computer speakers at a minimum.

The model number of the TV should be located on the back. You can Google it and possibly find a digital version of the owners manual.

Back
Top Bottom