• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Evidence Indicates that the Bush Administration Conducted Torture Experiments and ___

Re: Evidence Indicates that the Bush Administration Conducted Torture Experiments and

It was a joke. -.-
I do think a legal framework should be produced which basically legitimize's Guantanamo. I think its an essential part of national security. We cant treat terrorists like average criminals.

I don't really care about actual terrorists, but what bothers me is that many innocent people got in the wheels of that machinery too. I'm not ready to take the government's word for it to determine if a suspect is guilty or innocent. Only a fair trial should do that. Special tribunals, if you like, as long as they are truly fair, meet common legal standards and make sure no innocent people get crushed by the government.

Re: Evidence Indicates that the Bush Administration Conducted Torture Experiments and

I don't really care about actual terrorists, but what bothers me is that many innocent people got in the wheels of that machinery too. I'm not ready to take the government's word for it to determine if a suspect is guilty or innocent. Only a fair trial should do that. Special tribunals, if you like, as long as they are truly fair, meet common legal standards and make sure no innocent people get crushed by the government.

Of course if i was to implement such a legal change, your quiet right it would need to be tacked from more democratic perspectives.
As you said, it would be dangerous to give government such powers - it would be up for abuse. A bit like allowing the government to decide what is and what isn't moral.

Of course if i was to implement such a legal change, your quiet right it would need to be tacked from more democratic perspectives.
As you said, it would be dangerous to give government such powers - it would be up for abuse. A bit like allowing the government to decide what is and what isn't moral.

Agreed. It just bothers me when the government has so much power. But we should not give up our high legal standards just because we are afraid. Even if that means a few bad guys get free, because there was not enough evidence to prove them guilty -- that's just the price of freedom, IMHO. I'd rather see several bad guys get free, before we destroy the life of just one innocent person. Freedom comes with certain risks, but I think they are worth being taken.

Thank you very much for your informative reply.

Not a problem at all, thank you for your response.

There were other practizes that are generally considered torture, and there are at least 14 known cases when they were applied:

Barack Obama releases Bush administration torture memos | World news | guardian.co.uk

The question of whether those acts (including waterboarding) constitute torture is not as black and white as it may seem. In the US (and in most places, I believe), torture is a "specific intent" crime - meaning that the person taking the actions must have the specific intent of causing severe physical or mental pain or suffering. Exactly what acts rise to the level of causing severe physical or mental pain or suffering is unclear. Moreover, if the resultant pain/suffering is merely a byproduct of an attempt directed at another purpose, it raises issues of whether there was specific intent.

Also, there were many more cases when the US did not do the torturing, but handed over prisoners to allied states that regularly employ torture. We don't know how many other cases of torture have taken place, because not everything has been made public.

Here as well, reference to the specific laws in place regarding this policy is helpful. Our laws prohibit the transfer of individuals to places where it is "more likely than not" that the detainee would be tortured. The question of whether or not that threshold has been met in any particular case is unclear.

And I want to add that even one single incident of employed torture is abhorrent and a shame for a country that claims to respect human rights and be the leader of the free world.

That's a perfectly valid position, I just think that the shades of gray involved in cases like this make it difficult to apply hard and fast rules.

If that's the case, then this practize has been in violation of basic human rights for a long time. Shame on everybody responsible, and shame on Bush for exapanding this practize.

I don't really see a problem with military tribunals in general. The international community has used them plenty of times before without raising complaint:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Military_Tribunal_for_the_Far_East
Nuremberg Trials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That it weren't many doesn't change that these practizes are in direct violation of basic human rights, and it doesn't change the fact that many of those stripped of all their human rights turned out to be innocent later. That's a shame, in my opinion. Free countries must never resort to such kinds of human right violations, no matter if a few dozen people are concerned, hundreds or thousands. We in the West are better than that.

It's absolutely a problem when someone who is innocent ends up being detained unfairly, but the harm of that detention has to be weighed against the other interests involved. Nobody would object to holding someone accused of murder in prison pending trial, even though they haven't been convicted yet. This is just a different form of that practice

That's a good point. But I would object that people did hear about it: It was well known that people are extralegally held, denied fair trials and "interrogated", because the government said as much, claiming they are "terrorists"/"evil guys". Many people did not question this word by the government, but accepted it, trusting they are indeed guilty of horrible crimes. These people would certainly assume the government is "tough on terrorism". You can see that today as well: Although it has become known that many were innocent, only the fewest of those who supported these practizes care.

I hope you understand where I am coming from when I tell you my opinion that I don't think this situation is acceptable for a free country with certain legal standards. It gives me severe stomach pain.

I absolutely understand where you're coming from and have my own concerns about the processes involved in capturing, holding, and determining the status of the detainees. I think that there are many ways that the government could (and should) have provided additional protections for these people, and I wish that many things had been done differently.

In spite of that, I still believe that the underlying policy choices were within the executive's authority and that our decisions generally complied with the applicable law.

Thanks, that is a very valuable bit of information, I didn't know that. So I say shame on Clinton for starting these pracitizes, and shame on Bush for expanding them. And shame on Obama for not ending them.

I can't disagree with you too much on this one, as I see only limited benefits to the practice of picking people up in one country and rendering them to another.

Last edited:

''Evidence Indicates that the Bush Administration Conducted Experiments and Research on Detainees to Design Torture Techniques and Create Legal Cover ''
That wouldnt surprise me.

Thats why torture is against our laws :thumbs:

I think a little waterboarding is a far cry from decapitation, don't you?

I think a little waterboarding is a far cry from decapitation, don't you?

It's definitely not the same, but it's still torture.

It's definitely not the same, but it's still torture.

No, it's an inconvenience.

No, it's an inconvenience.

No, its torture.

No, its torture.

Getting your head chopped off on the internet is torture. Waterboarding is not torture.

Many GITMO detainees have been released due to lack of evidence, some of them recaptured in the act of insurgency or terrorism.

Getting your head chopped off on the internet is torture. Waterboarding is not torture.

Actually that's an execution, a very painful execution, and horribly wrong but not torture. Torture is usually done with the intent of keeping the victim alive. Chopping ones fingers off for information, or just for the heck of it is torture, so is waterboarding, so is kicking the **** out of a prisoner. Just because one is worse than the other doesn't mean one is not torture.

Actually that's an execution, a very painful execution, and horribly wrong but not torture. Torture is usually done with the intent of keeping the victim alive. Chopping ones fingers off for information, or just for the heck of it is torture, so is waterboarding, so is kicking the **** out of a prisoner. Just because one is worse than the other doesn't mean one is not torture.

Have you been wateboarded? I have, it's not torture, however unpleasant.

I found it quite disagreeable. :ssst:

When it's done with your consent, it's maybe not torture. Just like consensual sex is not rape. Non-consensual waterboarding is torture.

Many GITMO detainees have been released due to lack of evidence, some of them recaptured in the act of insurgency or terrorism.

That happens: When you respect basic legal standards, that means that sometimes, bad guys get away because of a lack of evidence. That's the price we have to pay for freedom. The only other alternative would be violating our legal standards, resulting in many innocent people getting smashed. That's not acceptable.

Maybe a tyrannic police state would make sure more bad guys get punished than in a free republic, but that doesn't mean the police state is preferable.

You know, "who gives up freedom for security ..."

As did I, but no more so than the food in boot.

I think you meant foot, and it was a bit more than that IIRC, though, I survived with no permanent damage, just as the terroristas did so I have no issue with it if it's used to save lives in this case.

Title too freaking long!
Evidence Indicates that the Bush Administration Conducted Experiments and Research on Detainees to Design Torture Techniques and Create Legal Cover

Evidence Indicates that the Bush Administration Conducted Experiments and Research on Detainees to Design Torture Techniques and Create Legal Cover

While the evidence is obviously not public and therefore I can't really judge the accuracy of the allegations, if this is something solid it really should be brought to the light. I really think 9/11 pushed America to compromise some of its core values. Slowly and steadily we eroded civil liberties and started doing a legal dance with the goal of inflicting more pain on people who are prisoners of war. And don't think I'm just pointing a finger at Bush. The PATRIOT act passed with a huge majority in both parties. Congressional committees oversea a lot of these high-level intelligence activities, or at least they're supposed to. The Obama administration hasn't changed any of these practices significantly, and has even extended the arm of government further in some cases.

It's ****ed up. I want it to stop. We're at war with terror, allegedly. We should treat prisoners as prisoners of war. They may not have signed the Geneva Convention, but we did. This "enemy combatant" label was fabricated with the express purpose of circumventing that code of conduct that we're supposed to stand for.

"All wars are follies, very expensive and very mischievous ones. "
"Anger is never without a reason, but seldom with a good one."
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- All three Benjamin Franklin

We are America! I don't give a rats ass if it helps! We are America! We do not ****ing torture!"
- Shepherd Smith

First, the entire premise is that the Bush administration were engaged in the wholesale torture of everyone who was detained by US forces in the US GWOT.

The evidence refutes this premise ENTIRELY. The WORST CASE EVIDENCE provides that the US 'water-boarded' only a very few individuals; all of which were highly placed in al qaeda; with the episodes of such being in the months following 9-11; when it was reasonable to, and widely believed, that our Islamic enemies were in the process of executing other such attacks.

And while it's all well and good that pacifists should be allowed to advocate for ethereal notions of universal peace, reality is that the universe is not prone toward peace and declaring that recognizing the violent nature of the universe and preparing to defend against that violence somehow encourages, thus increase that violence, is simply and demonstrably absurd.

And this without regard for what Shepard Smith parrots.

Second, the word torture is meaningless. This because it is subjective and requires a STATED CONTEXT. For instance one could accurately declare that having to read these inane anti-American pacifist rants, 'is torture'; that root canals are torture; that deep-tissue message and basic cable are ALL TORTURE; that each INDUCE VARIOUS AND PREDICTABLE DISCOMFORT onto the individual. And the use of the term; which is the SAME TERM USED TO CONVEY DRILLNG HOLES INTO THE KNEES AND ELBOWS, REMOVING DIGITS AND LIMBS, and other unspeakable, inhuman cruelties, is designed to project US Interrogation of the Terrorist Enemy of the US; as immoral, illegal and as a clear and present danger to civilization itself; that the US DEFENSE FROM TERRORIST EVIL; is immoral.

It's illegal and immoral to pull a side arm, shove it in the face of the person immediately to your front and discharge a supersonic projectile, crushing their skull; forcing the resultant bone fragments into their frontal lobe of their brain, followed up immediately by that seering hot steel encased lead bullet... in MOST situations that MOST people will ever experience.

It's an act which most people would consider UNACCEPTABLE! EVER! FOR ANY REASON! And that's because those people cannot fathom that another person would be standing in front of them with every intention of IMMEDIATELY killing or seriously injuring them or their family. Such people, usually tend to adjust their 'feelings' on that hard and fast rule, immediately following their being subjected to such an experience; and where they are fortunate enough to survive such, they typically return with a brand new perspective. One which results in their becoming much better prepared to defend themselves from the violent nature which exist around them.

The same CONTEXT applies to the justification for inducing discomfort onto those being detained by US Forces. IF YOU ARE KNOWN TO HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN THE PLANNING AND EXECUTION OF A SNEAK ATTACK ON INNOCENT PEOPLE, WHICH RESULTED IN THE MURDER OF 3000 PEOPLE and you're fortunate enough to be 'detained'... It would behoove you to be truthful and forthcoming during the ensuing interviews, or fully expect to find yourself facing a substantial and prolonged period of discomfort designed to encourage you to 'open up'.

Which is to say that detaining your neighbor, locking them in your basement and water-boarding them is an immoral act. Right? Would anyone disagree with that?

Now let's change the context... You came home from work; found a note from your neighbor with the ring finger of your minor child informing you that you should know they have your child and if you call the cops they'll kill that child; but to come on over and discuss it. ... The ensuing discussion results in your prevailing, after having been informed that your child is buried alive at an undisclosed location.

Sounds pretty nuts doesn't it?

Of course I remember like it was yesterday, when the idea that some force would 'attack the United States, murdering 3000 innocent people; taking down the World Trade Center and the Pentagon and four jumbo jets full of people was a pretty far fetched notion relegated to the pages of thriller novels and tin-foil hat cranks...

Here's the thing... When time is of the essence and ya absolutely positively NEED TO KNOW THE TRUTH! There's few methods of getting that truth from those determined to keep it to themselves, than WATERBOARDING.

And spare me the nonsense that 'water-boarding doesn't work.'

I don't give a red rat's @$$ who you are, or what you think you know... But you will tell your interviewer whatever they want to know, whatever you think they want to hear... TRUTH, FICTION, You'll tell them anything to make it stop.

Now... This is a principle which Americans understand; but which is obscured by those determined to undermine the US.

And there's really not much more to it; except to say that UNLIKE ACTUAL TORTURE: Those subjected to US Coercive interrogation can still walk, they have all their fingers, toes and testicles and as a general rule, are no worse the wear after the experience; and they're WHOLLY responsible for how far it goes and how long it takes.

In other words: US Coercive interrogation is NOT TORTURE and to declare it to BE SUCH; is simple deception.

Last edited:

If you think you were "waterboarded" in SERE school, you should know that you weren't really waterboarded.

Office of Inspector General said:
the SERE [survival, evasion, resistance, and escape program] waterboard experience is so different from the subsequent agency usage as to make it almost irrelevant.

CIA Memo Reveals Flaws in Waterboarding's Legal Justification - US News and World Report

Probably the main reason I support strict laws prohibiting the use of torture is that basically the government, any government, is going to take what is technically intended to be allowed on paper and use that as a pretense to allow them to do something 10 times as severe. If you say "ok, you can use 'enhanced interogation' on 'high value detainees'", right out in the open they go right ahead and push the definition of 'enhanced interogation' way beyond what it really should mean and use the technique on even detainees with virtually no intelligence value. Then, in secret they do things that go way beyond anything a rational or moral person could possibly support.

It's like if you go out of town and leave your kids at home. If you tell them that under no circumstances may they have anybody whatsoever in the house while you're gone, they'll have 5 friends over. If you tell them they can have a couple friends over, they'll have a party. If you tell them they can have a party, they'll burn down your house and get involved with a crystal meth dealing biker gang.

If you want the government to used enhanced interogation on high value detainees, and nothing beyond that, you need to tell them that no torture of any kind is every permissible under any circumstance.

How so specifically?
I can't find the actual IG report but here's one example:

Quoting from the IG report, Bradbury wrote, "The waterboard technique . . . was different from the technique described in the DOJ opinion and used in the SERE training . . . At the SERE school . . . the subject's airflow is disrupted by the firm application of a damp cloth over the air passages; the interrogator applies a small amount of water to the cloth in a controlled manner. By contrast, the Agency interrogator . . . applied large volumes of water to a cloth that covered the detainee's mouth and nose."

CIA official: No proof harsh techniques stopped terror attacks | McClatchy

Back
Top Bottom