• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Etheridge caught in on-camera confrontation

Patrick,

Perhaps you could help me, because I'm not seeing it. What is "partisan" about asking a politician about supporting the President's political agenda? I mean, the President does have a political agenda, and the politician obviously supports it or does not. What would have been the "gotcha" moment? What kind of partisan ammunition could have been acquired from an answer of yes, no, or only part of it.

Well, admittedly I'm making a guess based on the way that they asked the question and the fact that they asked him while he was walking down the street. It is all part and parcel to "gotcha journalism".

Would it make a difference for you if the Congressman had been a Republican with the same question?

Would it still have been "Gotcha Journalism"?

Not at all. It absolutely would be.

It matters. Again, and you can ignore this as often as you like, but it won't go away...

Again I'd say that Etheridge should be held fully accountable for what he did.

And so should the other people involved.

One person's mistake does not excuse another's, and yes it does matter why the camera men where there and what they were trying to do.

The only reason I could see for not wanting all parties involved in turning our political structure into a playground romp is pure and blatant partisanship.

No, I will not ignore the mistake Etheridge made; neither will I ignore that it was an instigated, malicious, contrived, and dishonest circumstance to begin with.

I believe in integrity. I believe in accountability. I believe in knowing the reasons behind something that appears to be contrived. I believe in holding all parties to a reasonable standard, not just those that ally with my political adversaries.

What Etheridge did was wrong, but so is what they did.

Etheridge should be held accountable, and so should they.

What exactly should they be held accountable for? They were well within their rights to do what they did.

Re: Congressman Assaults Student Asking if he supported the Obama Administration Agen

Yep, the guy is a creep. He should have kept walking. He didn't need to put his hands on that boy.

That mirrors my thoughts. Even though the student was being annoying, is that any reason to react to it. Looks like it does not take an even temperament to qualify for a career in the government.

And now you understand how every other person in this thread, left or right, feels about your frantic attempts to create excuses.

Where did hazlnut say Etheridge did not deserve condemnation for his actions.

What exactly should they be held accountable for? They were well within their rights to do what they did.

Just because someone takes an action that is legal doesn't make their action morally right, and I think we all know that.

Aren't conservatives supposed to be the party of values? Why don't you want to know who these trackers were?

Oh so so far you have nothing. TYVMIA

Winston, he's right, and you're making yourself look badly - which I dislike because you seem to be a reasonable person so far.

Hazlnut's been all over this thread defending Etheridge and saying that he acted appropriately. In some cases he's said Etheridge should have done more, or that more should have been done to the trackers.

You're going to lose this one, which I tried to hint at earlier. Let this one go, my friend. You're about to get creamed.

Hazlnut did indeed make a pretty gigantic, partisan ass of himself in this thread. You're not going to win this battle. The posts jallman claims exist really are present.

Last edited:

What right is there to shove a camera in peoples faces and start asking questions? Freedom of the press. Well the press is held accountable for what they report and do. These guys are anon.

What right is there to shove a camera in peoples faces and start asking questions? Freedom of the press. Well the press is held accountable for what they report and do. These guys are anon.

First of all, camera didn't go "his face". He was addressed from a distance and after he acknowledged the boys, who he saw had cameras, he was asked a question. After that, he promptly lost it.

The lack of fame of these students is not a factor to anyone except those trying to mitigate poor behavior by pretending there was other poor behavior that prompted it. In other words...you and hazlnut.

I addressed this the first time you asked about this:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...ht-camera-confrontation-9.html#post1058808432

He's certainly tried to cover his bases by including things like "I don't condone this, but...." so that he can always fall back on "well I did say he was wrong!," but he's otherwise made his position on this very clear.

He claimed that these kids assaulted Etheridge and that Etheridge was just defending himself from their attack. That's blatantly false.

He's said that he likes the way the guy handled it. That's excusing him.

I addressed this the first time you asked about this:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...ht-camera-confrontation-9.html#post1058808432

He's certainly tried to cover his bases by including things like "I don't condone this, but...." so that he can always fall back on "well I did say he was wrong!," but he's otherwise made his position on this very clear.

He claimed that these kids assaulted Etheridge and that Etheridge was just defending himself from their attack. That's blatantly false.

He's said that he likes the way the guy handled it. That's excusing him.

Tahnk you and yes I will admit the accusations against hazlnut are correct from one post. I still do not think from one post You learned well from these kiddos;)

Tahnk you and yes I will admit the accusations against hazlnut are correct from one post. I still do not think from one post You learned well from these kiddos;)

If you were here right now, you'd see an evil grin floating on a blurred-out face.

Wait...what? What's that last sentence supposed to mean?

The lack of fame of these students is not a factor to anyone except those trying to mitigate poor behavior by pretending there was other poor behavior that prompted it. In other words...you and hazlnut.

Actually, it matters to me too.

The situation appears to have been very contrived. The only good these trackers accomplished is that both sides are going to employ them more often now, and we as citizens are going to see even less honesty in politics than we already do.

If they are who they claim they are, they should step forward and say so to clear the record up. If they aren't willing to step forward, we're left with what looks like a contrived situation, sounds like a contrived circumstance, quacks like a contrived circumstance, and therefore is probably a contrived circumstance.

A duck is a duck. Until these trackers come forward, it is what it is. No amount of trying to dismiss that will change that reality.

Actually, it matters to me too.

The situation appears to have been very contrived. The only good these trackers accomplished is that both sides are going to employ them more often now, and we as citizens are going to see even less honesty in politics than we already do.

If they are who they claim they are, they should step forward and say so to clear the record up. If they aren't willing to step forward, we're left with what looks like a contrived situation, sounds like a contrived circumstance, quacks like a contrived circumstance, and therefore is probably a contrived circumstance.

A duck is a duck. Until these trackers come forward, it is what it is. No amount of trying to dismiss that will change that reality.

I can't hold it against these students that they don't want to come forward and be known.

Here we have 2 students against a Congressman. I don't think I would want to put myself and my family in his crosshairs. He has already shown he has no control over his actions.

What is to stop him from using his position to hurt the family of these students. IRS or the police or anything else.

Look what happened to Joe The Plumber. People took it upon themselves to check into his private business and broadcast it to the nation.

If you remember what it was like to be a 16 or 17 year old and not know anything about anything, I don't think you would be making these kids out to be the worst criminals in the world on the back of this incident.

I can't hold it against these students that they don't want to come forward and be known.

Here we have 2 students against a Congressman. I don't think I would want to put myself and my family in his crosshairs.

I wouldn't either.

So you and I probably would not wait for him and ambush him with a loaded question and three cameras around us, specifically trying to catch him off-guard as he came out of a meeting someplace other than his normal spot at the Capital.

Those who are avoiding national attention and don't want the spotlight, usually manage to do so.

This is the part that raises the questions about the genuine motive of these trackers. They obviously were not seeking to simply have a private conversation with someone. They wanted a reaction. They got one. Why did they want one, and for what reason?

To me, high schoolers running around trying to act like Hannity are pranksters. They're not doing in any type of serious journalistic endeavor.

They put their 'school project' up on youtube, DELIBERATELY EDITED (with repeated scenes) to embarrass the Congressman.

They were PUNKING the congressman. And it worked. Sort of.

My conspiracy is that they are trying to get internships at Fox News. :roll:

This is the part that raises the questions about the genuine motive of these trackers. They obviously were not seeking to simply have a private conversation with someone. They wanted a reaction. They got one. Why did they want one, and for what reason?
Their motives were rendered irrelvant as soon as the assault took place. These "trackers" as you call them broke no laws, asked no immoral or outrageous question, and did nothing out of the ordinary. Etheridge is 100% at fault and commited a misdemeanor assault - a criminal act. That's all there is to it.

My conspiracy is that they are trying to get internships at Fox News. :roll:

And if they were - how would that change the reaction of Etheridge or change the result? My point is... it doesn't matter.

Their motives were rendered irrelvant as soon as the assault took place.

So one person's actions do excuse another's in your view?

You also aren't interested in finding out why the claims of the trackers don't make sense? So you're not interested in additional information that may add context?

You're not interested in the whole story, but just the story that makes the Democrat look bad?

Fair enough. Each to their own.

I'm more interested in social progress, truth, and the advancement of humanity than in seeing "my team" "win."

You're allowed to feel differently, however, and I respect your right to do so.

So one person's actions do excuse another's in your view?

You also aren't interested in finding out why the claims of the trackers don't make sense? So you're not interested in additional information that may add context?

You're not interested in the whole story, but just the story that makes the Democrat look bad?

Fair enough. Each to their own.

I'm more interested in social progress, truth, and the advancement of humanity than in seeing "my team" "win."

You're allowed to feel differently, however, and I respect your right to do so.

We did get the whole story: two immature kids did an immature thing which resulted in an assault by a congressman. The two immature kids might be part of the exposition, but the climax and conclusion of this story remain the same: the congressman behaved very, very badly and in a totally inappropriate way.

Back
Top Bottom