• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

English Premiership 2013-14 thread

Who will win the Permeirship in 2013-14

• Total voters
Not yet, but he is already the best paid in the club. A new contract will make him the best paid footballer in the world.

Now it could all be a mirage... sell Ronaldo to Man U, and buy Bale as his replacement.. Although I doubt that it would be a good deal, shirt wise.. for Real.

This is 100% a sign that Bale wants to leave Spurs: BBC Sport - Gareth Bale ruled out for two weeks, says Andre Villas-Boas

Gareth Bale has been ruled out of action for two weeks, Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has said.

There was an article earlier on in the week by Robbie Fowler detailing all the tricks players use to get transferred and this was one of them. If Bale gives a half-arsed effort then he wants to go. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Found the article - BBC Sport - Robbie Savage reveals footballers' tricks to engineer a transfer

Not yet, but he is already the best paid in the club. A new contract will make him the best paid footballer in the world.

Now it could all be a mirage... sell Ronaldo to Man U, and buy Bale as his replacement.. Although I doubt that it would be a good deal, shirt wise.. for Real.

United left the no7 shirt open as well...lol

This is 100% a sign that Bale wants to leave Spurs: BBC Sport - Gareth Bale ruled out for two weeks, says Andre Villas-Boas

There was an article earlier on in the week by Robbie Fowler detailing all the tricks players use to get transferred and this was one of them. If Bale gives a half-arsed effort then he wants to go. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Found the article - BBC Sport - Robbie Savage reveals footballers' tricks to engineer a transfer

Yea but it might not be Real.. it might be Man U.

But regardless, it is absolutely stupid the way the player but also the club.. /eye Levy have handled this transfer. I have lost all respect for Levy and his way of wheeling and dealing and getting every buck for the club.. he is disrupting the playing staff and blocking much needed buying of players .. all because he does not want to let go of his golden egg.. a golden egg that wants to go.. talk about having an ego problem. I suspect he does not understand how much 80 million pounds is..

United left the no7 shirt open as well...lol

Actually shirt numbers can still be changed so.. and most clubs dont publish the shirt numbers with names before they have to report the names and numbers to the FA and later UEFA. Bad for business if players have 2 different numbers in a season.

Actually shirt numbers can still be changed so.. and most clubs dont publish the shirt numbers with names before they have to report the names and numbers to the FA and later UEFA. Bad for business if players have 2 different numbers in a season.

But Valenia has had the no 7 shirt for the paast couple of years and this season they took it off him for no apparent reason.

Al-Man City needs a central defender..
Agreed. Kompany, Lescott, a fit Nastasic are fine, but need strength in depth.
Chealski does not need more players, however the rumour says they might be getting Etoo.. and that could be a massive game changer. Like or hate him, he is a 20+ goal machine in any league.
He was a 20+ goal machine. At Anzhi he's scored 25 goals in 2 seasons. You were just dispagaing City for thinking about buying a 32-year-old defender (strikers age faster than defenders) and now you're calling a 32-year-old Camerounian a game-changer.

It would also mean Rooney aint going to Chealski, which can effect Man U negatively. Would not put it past Mourinho in dumping Rooney and getting Etoo.
Short-termism.

Man U needs a playmaker unless they are going to retool their Japanese midfielder to that position. They want Fabregas... aint gonna happen, so they might go elsewhere. Question is who is big enough to meet the Man U legacy machines requirements.. not many around. Or, maybe .. retool Rooney to a mid-field playmaker role? Stranger things have happened... and he can do it imo.
The biggest strength ManU have is their winning mentality. That's worth at least one big-name signing.

Arsenal need players all over the place, and need to get rid of players. It amazes me that they have yet to sign anyone.. pathetic. If they can get a 20+ a season goal scorer in the next 2 weeks, then they have a chance of the Champions League, else it will be Europa League next season if they are lucky. Arsenal has almost turned into a supply team for other teams.. with key players being linked to other clubs and not many being linked to Arsenal... not a good sign
Yes and no. Didn't you see them in their friendly with City? They looked really good: tight at the back combative in midfield and sharp up front, especially Walcott. I think Arsenal are going to have a good season.

Tottenham is out of even the top 4 as I see it. The whole Garath Bale crap is just like the Modric crap of last year. Sell the idiot and get in some quality players. Sure you have a great 20+ goal a season striker in Soldado, but the team needs defenders and needs to not be embroiled in a nasty transfer story.. again. Bale wants to go, get 80 million for him and be done with it. But I think Levy has overplayed it, since rumours from Madrid have the President reconsidering the bid amid a mini revolt among 1st team regulars who have complained over Bales wages.. which should be near Ronaldos and double of that of Ozil. And players like Khederia are actively seeking new teams, because of the Bale issue possibly pushing them out.
Yeah, Tottenham are good, but nothing special. Bale's overrated and they'd be crazy not to take 80m if offered.

Liverpool is a dark horse. IF Liverpool can get Saurez to shut up (seems they have) and are able to get a mid-field player with quality to assist Coutinho and Gerrad, then they are a dark horse of epic proportions. If the rumours are true, and they are after either William of Anzi or Eriksen of Ajax, and they can get one of them, then well.. they will have one of the strongest mid-fields in Europe, even with an ageing Gerrad. It also requires they keep hold of Agger who is on Barca's list..
I recall you saying something similar last season and look how that worked out. I don't see Liverpool doing any better this season.
[/QUOTE]

As much out of hope as expectation I'm going to say we'll win the League this season and make it to the CL QF stage, at least.

Here's my guess:

1. Beautiful, beautiful City
  2. ManUre or Arsenal
  3. Arsenal or ManUre
  4. Chelski
  5. Everton
  6. Swansea
  7. Spurts
  8. West Brom
  9. Liverpool
  10. West Ham
  11. Southampton
  12. Hull
  13. Newcastle
  14. Stoke
  15. Fulham
  16. Cardiff
  17. Villa
  18. Sunderland
  19. Palace
  20. Norwich

He was a 20+ goal machine. At Anzhi he's scored 25 goals in 2 seasons. You were just dispagaing City for thinking about buying a 32-year-old defender (strikers age faster than defenders) and now you're calling a 32-year-old Camerounian a game-changer.

Eh signing a 32 old defender is exactly what City needs.. someone with experience. as for Etoo, he fits much better with the English game than any other game in Europe and I have always believed that. So what if he is 32, he still is very fit, and has the mentality of a great striker.

Short-termism.

Yea that is Mourinho.. mind games and off the field shenanigans.

The biggest strength ManU have is their winning mentality. That's worth at least one big-name signing.

Yep

Yes and no. Didn't you see them in their friendly with City? They looked really good: tight at the back combative in midfield and sharp up front, especially Walcott. I think Arsenal are going to have a good season.

They are ****. I saw the game, Man City gave them the draw with the sloppy defensive work by the defenders. Else it was Man City.

I recall you saying something similar last season and look how that worked out. I don't see Liverpool doing any better this season.

I also stated last season if I remember right, that they needed a playmaker mid-fielder, which they did not get until the January transfer window in Coutinho even though he is not that kind of player. Now they not only have 2 great strikers, but Coutinho so they only need the player between Lucas and the attackers, and no that is not Gerrad. Liverpools season after the January transfer season changed dramatically if I recall correctly.. They lost only 2 games from February onwards, and drew against many of the big teams.. and many of the draws they actually deserved to win but were unlucky.

2. ManUre or Arsenal
  3. Arsenal or ManUre
  4. Chelski
  5. Everton
  6. Swansea
  7. Spurts
  8. West Brom
  9. Liverpool
  10. West Ham
  11. Southampton
  12. Hull
  13. Newcastle
  14. Stoke
  15. Fulham
  16. Cardiff
  17. Villa
  18. Sunderland
  19. Palace
  20. Norwich

In agreement with the exception of Arsenal. They wont make 4th, and will be in the same league as Everton... unless Wenger finally buys some quality. And disagree on Liverpool.

Short-termism.

Yeah, Tottenham are good, but nothing special. Bale's overrated and they'd be crazy not to take 80m if offered.

As much out of hope as expectation I'm going to say we'll win the League this season and make it to the CL QF stage, at least.

Here's my guess:

2. ManUre or Arsenal
  3. Arsenal or ManUre
  4. Chelski
  5. Everton
  6. Swansea
  7. Spurts
  8. West Brom
  9. Liverpool
  10. West Ham
  11. Southampton
  12. Hull
  13. Newcastle
  14. Stoke
  15. Fulham
  16. Cardiff
  17. Villa
  18. Sunderland
  19. Palace
  20. Norwich
[/QUOTE]

Bale overrated and Spurs finishing 7th? No way. At times last year Spurs were playing the best football in the prem and were lookign like potential title contenders for a while, long Europa cup schedule set them back though.

But Valenia has had the no 7 shirt for the paast couple of years and this season they took it off him for no apparent reason.

Yea, that one.. that was early in the transfer season, but nothing has happened since ... I dont even think Man U have contacted Real about Ronaldo.

2-2 for Everton first game of the season I will take that.

Tick tock for Wenger though ;)

2-2 for Everton first game of the season I will take that.

Tick tock for Wenger though ;)

Yeah, 3-1 loss to Villa, the guys who almost went down last year.
2-2 isn't a bad start for Martinez, he just needs to get used to the competitive style of play at Everton.
This will be an interesting season. I bet - at 5:08pm BST that Man U will win against Swansea 2-0.

Yeah, 3-1 loss to Villa, the guys who almost went down last year.
2-2 isn't a bad start for Martinez, he just needs to get used to the competitive style of play at Everton.
This will be an interesting season. I bet - at 5:08pm BST that Man U will win against Swansea 2-0.

yeh we hammered them for the 90 mins as well just couldnt hit the target enough. United midfield looks awful today so im saying 2-1 to Swansea.

I just watched the Arsenal game and they were pretty awful at the back. Mertesacker was dreadful. Give some credit to Villa though; they really got stuck into the Arse. Guzan was a rock and up-front Agbonlahor and Benteke were a real handful. The move for the 3rd goal was beautiful, especially Weimann's ball playing Luna in - outstanding!

A special mention too for the referee who gifted Villa the second goal. Watch Wenger's interview on MotD and see what he says. Something along the lines of: "I don't want to say bad things about referees, but everyone can see that decision so I don't need to say anything."

yeh we hammered them for the 90 mins as well just couldnt hit the target enough. United midfield looks awful today so im saying 2-1 to Swansea.

Sounds like the Everton I know :lol:
It'll be interesting anyway I reckon that if Swansea score - Michu.

Very quiet start in Swansea. United just fluffed 2 really good chances through Welbeck and Giggs. Swansea just had one disallowed. Pretty close so far.

Michu looking outstanding!

Last edited:
I just watched the Arsenal game and they were pretty awful at the back. Mertesacker was dreadful. Give some credit to Villa though; they really got stuck into the Arse. Guzan was a rock and up-front Agbonlahor and Benteke were a real handful. The move for the 3rd goal was beautiful, especially Weimann's ball playing Luna in - outstanding!

A special mention too for the referee who gifted Villa the second goal. Watch Wenger's interview on MotD and see what he says. Something along the lines of: "I don't want to say bad things about referees, but everyone can see that decision so I don't need to say anything."

Wenger can complain all he wants about the ref.. it is not like Arsenal never have gotten very friendly refs..

Fact is, Arsenal looked horrible, and they need new blood... 2 weeks is what he has got.. and 140+ million.

Very quiet start in Swansea. United just fluffed 2 really good chances through Welbeck and Giggs. Swansea just had one disallowed. Pretty close so far.

Michu looking outstanding!

Swansea were their own worst enemy. The distance between the back 4 and the midfield was way too large, and it basically cost them 3 of the 4 goals. But plug that hole, and you have a team that is hard to beat.

Wenger can complain all he wants about the ref.. it is not like Arsenal never have gotten very friendly refs..

Speaking of friendly refs, Is Howard Webb playing for united today?

Speaking of friendly refs, Is Howard Webb playing for united today?

Aint he always?

But regardless that, Man U deserved the win since it was massive defensive errors that lead to their goals.

Oh and for the record, I am a fan of Swansea.. more than I am of Man U.

So you lean that way eh? :mrgreen:
Jokes - but yeah he is doing well.

Lean that way? Hell yes! I'd go there like a shot! Not sure he does though.

Swansea looked great until the rapid two goals in the first half. I completely agree with Pete on the gaping hole in front of their back four. Going forward they looked good. With Michu and Bony they will score a lot of goals this season. Bad luck for them to get United first game. United look excellent, but I think that teams with a more creative and aggressive midfield will score against them. Now, who can you think of that has a creative and aggressive midfield? Clue: they speak a lot of Spanish.

I don't think Suárez is going anywhere now. --

The guy is a poisoned chalice. Only Arsenal want him and that seems to just be Wenger.

Read the Arsenal fans talking on the BBC sports forum - you get a very different picture.

Wenger just wants to show the fans he will spend money. Piers Morgans Twitter account is a fun read

Back
Top Bottom