• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

English Premiership 2013-14 thread

Who will win the Permeirship in 2013-14

• Total voters
Looks like United are ready to put in a 40 mill offer for cesc

Looks like United are ready to put in a 40 mill offer for cesc

They wont get him. Several reasons.

1) Cesc does not want to go regardless of what the British tabloids make up in sensationalistic headlines.
2) Arsenal inserted a clause that they would have to be asked first if any bid got accepted. And since Arsenal has a far bigger "bag of money" at the moment than Man U according to most experts, throwing 40 million for Cesc would not be a problem... especially if they could keep him out of Man Us clutches.
3) If Cesc did want to return to the UK, it would be to Arsenal.. not Man U.

and finally.. Cesc is the heir apparent to Xavi in Barcelona and with Thiago going to Bayern that roll is all but cemented. Xavi will be 34 this season so the generational change is very close. Cesc would be stupid to leave now, since he would be all but guaranteed much more play time this year and a starting position next year.

He played tonight in the Gamper game in Barcelona and scored 2 goals in a 8 - 0 thrashing of Santos.. so...

Chelsea fan?

Yep. I can't say I'm a hardcore fan...but starting soon I'll be able to watch a lot of the games. NBC Sports here in the US is going to be showing EPL games.

Yep. I can't say I'm a hardcore fan...but starting soon I'll be able to watch a lot of the games. NBC Sports here in the US is going to be showing EPL games.

That makes two :)

Man City pips Chelsea. The Arab oil money will prove more powerful than the Russian money. I will be delighted if my team - Newcastle - avoids being the laughing stock of the league with their ridiculous choice for Director of Football and manages to achieve comfortable mediocrity in the middle of the pack instead of a repeat of last year's dance with relegation.

The real issue here is that we know with almost absolute certainty who the top 5 will be - the only thing we disagree with is the order of finish. Great for those teams, not so great for football as a whole.

Man City pips Chelsea. The Arab oil money will prove more powerful than the Russian money. I will be delighted if my team - Newcastle - avoids being the laughing stock of the league with their ridiculous choice for Director of Football and manages to achieve comfortable mediocrity in the middle of the pack instead of a repeat of last year's dance with relegation.

The real issue here is that we know with almost absolute certainty who the top 5 will be - the only thing we disagree with is the order of finish. Great for those teams, not so great for football as a whole.

Huh, given your forum name I'd have guessed you'd be for a different team.

Last edited:

Hopefully my team Everton can break up that top 5 this year but im not holding my breath.

No, the name comes from a favorite character in a great baseball novel. The Newcastle fan comes from being born there and having a lot of relatives in the area. And suffering through a lot of mediocre teams and matches in my youth.

Hopefully my team Everton can break up that top 5 this year but im not holding my breath.

I think Everton is the most likely to break into that top echelon. If they get a few breaks and somebody stumbles they could make it. I'm hard pressed to come up with any other candidates, however.

Mid table team

Mid table? wha? They ain't what they were with Rafa I'll be the very first one to admit, but mid table? no, no, no...

Mid table? wha? They ain't what they were with Rafa I'll be the very first one to admit, but mid table? no, no, no...

Well they weren't far off last year and if suarez goes like I think he will your losing 20+ goals this seaon and I don't think Liverpool has the depth to replace him.

Well they weren't far off last year and if suarez goes like I think he will your losing 20+ goals this seaon and I don't think Liverpool has the depth to replace him.

You think someone's gonna give 40m for him?

They could pick up Gomez or Negredo and gain that back... I'd like to see the German get the nod...

I see them as a solid 5, but you know to call them mid table? Clubs still have to go under the sign "THIS IS ANFIELD" you know...

Last edited:
You think someone's gonna give 40m for him?

They could pick up Gomez or Negredo and gain that back... I'd like to see the German get the nod...

I see them as a solid 5, but you know to call them mid table? Clubs still have to go under the sign "THIS IS ANFIELD" you know...

I think Wenger will pay the 40m by the end of the week because honestly he has to show the fans that he is willing to spend the money! As for Liverpool I really don't think that Rodgers is the right man for the job and he could be out of a job by xmas if Liverpool start badly.

I think Wenger will pay the 40m by the end of the week because honestly he has to show the fans that he is willing to spend the money! As for Liverpool I really don't think that Rodgers is the right man for the job and he could be out of a job by xmas if Liverpool start badly.

Now that I might agree with...

24 hours to go!!!!!.. cant wait! And La Liga starts too (thought it was in 2 weeks).. so cant be better.

And looks like Saurez is staying, Rooney is in limbo, Man U cant get its Fabregas fix done... new rumour is 45 million pounds and Bale is the most hated man in Madrid and in London it seems.. mini revolt in Real might cause the whole deal to collapse.

As it stands now, I would peg Chealski and Al-Man City as the 2 clubs fighting it out. Chealski because of Murinho and City because of its talented team along with the Pellegrini effect. But this can all change over the next 2 weeks.

As I see it unfolding the next 2 weeks

Al-Man City needs a central defender.. even Pellegrini agrees with me. Who they buy is a bit of a mystery but it might actually be a 32 year old Argentinian. Else they are set once they get their defensive issues sorted. If they can shore up the defensive issues, then watch out (provided key people are not injured of course).

Chealski does not need more players, however the rumour says they might be getting Etoo.. and that could be a massive game changer. Like or hate him, he is a 20+ goal machine in any league. It would also mean Rooney aint going to Chealski, which can effect Man U negatively. Would not put it past Mourinho in dumping Rooney and getting Etoo.

Man U needs a playmaker unless they are going to retool their Japanese midfielder to that position. They want Fabregas... aint gonna happen, so they might go elsewhere. Question is who is big enough to meet the Man U legacy machines requirements.. not many around. Or, maybe .. retool Rooney to a mid-field playmaker role? Stranger things have happened... and he can do it imo.

Arsenal need players all over the place, and need to get rid of players. It amazes me that they have yet to sign anyone.. pathetic. If they can get a 20+ a season goal scorer in the next 2 weeks, then they have a chance of the Champions League, else it will be Europa League next season if they are lucky. Arsenal has almost turned into a supply team for other teams.. with key players being linked to other clubs and not many being linked to Arsenal... not a good sign

Tottenham is out of even the top 4 as I see it. The whole Garath Bale crap is just like the Modric crap of last year. Sell the idiot and get in some quality players. Sure you have a great 20+ goal a season striker in Soldado, but the team needs defenders and needs to not be embroiled in a nasty transfer story.. again. Bale wants to go, get 80 million for him and be done with it. But I think Levy has overplayed it, since rumours from Madrid have the President reconsidering the bid amid a mini revolt among 1st team regulars who have complained over Bales wages.. which should be near Ronaldos and double of that of Ozil. And players like Khederia are actively seeking new teams, because of the Bale issue possibly pushing them out.

Liverpool is a dark horse. IF Liverpool can get Saurez to shut up (seems they have) and are able to get a mid-field player with quality to assist Coutinho and Gerrad, then they are a dark horse of epic proportions. If the rumours are true, and they are after either William of Anzi or Eriksen of Ajax, and they can get one of them, then well.. they will have one of the strongest mid-fields in Europe, even with an ageing Gerrad. It also requires they keep hold of Agger who is on Barca's list..

And then there are the possible floaters... Swansea. I could very well see them beating Man U on opening day, but I suspect their European games with a semi small team, might be too much for a top 6 position.. but who knows.

But still 2 weeks in the transfer market, so a lot can change.

24 hours to go!!!!!.. cant wait! And La Liga starts too (thought it was in 2 weeks).. so cant be better.

And looks like Saurez is staying, Rooney is in limbo, Man U cant get its Fabregas fix done... new rumour is 45 million pounds and Bale is the most hated man in Madrid and in London it seems.. mini revolt in Real might cause the whole deal to collapse.

As it stands now, I would peg Chealski and Al-Man City as the 2 clubs fighting it out. Chealski because of Murinho and City because of its talented team along with the Pellegrini effect. But this can all change over the next 2 weeks.

As I see it unfolding the next 2 weeks

Al-Man City needs a central defender.. even Pellegrini agrees with me. Who they buy is a bit of a mystery but it might actually be a 32 year old Argentinian. Else they are set once they get their defensive issues sorted. If they can shore up the defensive issues, then watch out (provided key people are not injured of course).

Chealski does not need more players, however the rumour says they might be getting Etoo.. and that could be a massive game changer. Like or hate him, he is a 20+ goal machine in any league. It would also mean Rooney aint going to Chealski, which can effect Man U negatively. Would not put it past Mourinho in dumping Rooney and getting Etoo.

Man U needs a playmaker unless they are going to retool their Japanese midfielder to that position. They want Fabregas... aint gonna happen, so they might go elsewhere. Question is who is big enough to meet the Man U legacy machines requirements.. not many around. Or, maybe .. retool Rooney to a mid-field playmaker role? Stranger things have happened... and he can do it imo.

Arsenal need players all over the place, and need to get rid of players. It amazes me that they have yet to sign anyone.. pathetic. If they can get a 20+ a season goal scorer in the next 2 weeks, then they have a chance of the Champions League, else it will be Europa League next season if they are lucky. Arsenal has almost turned into a supply team for other teams.. with key players being linked to other clubs and not many being linked to Arsenal... not a good sign

Tottenham is out of even the top 4 as I see it. The whole Garath Bale crap is just like the Modric crap of last year. Sell the idiot and get in some quality players. Sure you have a great 20+ goal a season striker in Soldado, but the team needs defenders and needs to not be embroiled in a nasty transfer story.. again. Bale wants to go, get 80 million for him and be done with it. But I think Levy has overplayed it, since rumours from Madrid have the President reconsidering the bid amid a mini revolt among 1st team regulars who have complained over Bales wages.. which should be near Ronaldos and double of that of Ozil. And players like Khederia are actively seeking new teams, because of the Bale issue possibly pushing them out.

Liverpool is a dark horse. IF Liverpool can get Saurez to shut up (seems they have) and are able to get a mid-field player with quality to assist Coutinho and Gerrad, then they are a dark horse of epic proportions. If the rumours are true, and they are after either William of Anzi or Erikesen of Ajax, and they can get one of them, then well.. they will have one of the strongest mid-fields in Europe, even with an ageing Gerrad. It also requires they keep hold of Agger who is on Barca's list..

And then there are the possible floaters... Swansea. I could very well see them beating Man U on opening day, but I suspect their European games with a semi small team, might be too much for a top 6 position.. but who knows.

But still 2 weeks in the transfer market, so a lot can change.

why do they hate Bale in Madrid?

why do they hate Bale in Madrid?

1) A 100 million Euro deal is not exactly popular in a country going through austerity. On top of that, even the President (the man with the money) has questioned if it is a wise deal.
2) The manager has said to the President that Bale is not a must have player and I agree with him.
3) Most importantly the whole Bale situation is causing internal problems in the team. The Madrid team is huge, so they actually have 1-2 players they cant register at the moment.. you can have a maximum of 25 players and there are at the moment 26-7 in the first team and the number 11 has already been reserved for Bale, so it is in fact only 24 numbers that can be used. Now normally you dump a few of the young players to the B-team, but the manager (and President) wants to "Barcelona" the team more, by including young self made players more and more in the first team.. makes it cheaper to run the club in the long run. So who do you dump.. Kaka or one of the young players... and since Kaka is a favourite of the manager.. then well.
4) The above number issue, plus the new managers system change, has threatened the position of some of Mourinhos first team players.. Sami Khedira has been offered to PSG by his agent because he suspects he will not play as much under the new manager. And Ronaldo is now a striker, not a winger which has cause some issues that were solved when Haugain was sold to Napoli.
5) The money involved in the Bale saga have leaked.. and if true, would make him the second best paid in Madrid.. which pisses off a bunch of players. They can understand Ronaldo getting big bucks, but not some wanna be from Wales that has not proven himself in their eyes (and much of the world). If the rumours are true, Bale would get double the wage of Ozil.

So all is not well with Bale going to Madrid, but that is not saying that it wont happen.

1) A 100 million Euro deal is not exactly popular in a country going through austerity. On top of that, even the President (the man with the money) has questioned if it is a wise deal.
2) The manager has said to the President that Bale is not a must have player and I agree with him.
3) Most importantly the whole Bale situation is causing internal problems in the team. The Madrid team is huge, so they actually have 1-2 players they cant register at the moment.. you can have a maximum of 25 players and there are at the moment 26-7 in the first team and the number 11 has already been reserved for Bale, so it is in fact only 24 numbers that can be used. Now normally you dump a few of the young players to the B-team, but the manager (and President) wants to "Barcelona" the team more, by including young self made players more and more in the first team.. makes it cheaper to run the club in the long run. So who do you dump.. Kaka or one of the young players... and since Kaka is a favourite of the manager.. then well.
4) The above number issue, plus the new managers system change, has threatened the position of some of Mourinhos first team players.. Sami Khedira has been offered to PSG by his agent because he suspects he will not play as much under the new manager. And Ronaldo is now a striker, not a winger which has cause some issues that were solved when Haugain was sold to Napoli.
5) The money involved in the Bale saga have leaked.. and if true, would make him the second best paid in Madrid.. which pisses off a bunch of players. They can understand Ronaldo getting big bucks, but not some wanna be from Wales that has not proven himself in their eyes (and much of the world). If the rumours are true, Bale would get double the wage of Ozil.

So all is not well with Bale going to Madrid, but that is not saying that it wont happen.

Has Ronaldo signed?

Has Ronaldo signed?

Not yet, but he is already the best paid in the club. A new contract will make him the best paid footballer in the world.

Now it could all be a mirage... sell Ronaldo to Man U, and buy Bale as his replacement.. Although I doubt that it would be a good deal, shirt wise.. for Real.

Back
Top Bottom