• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

English Premier League kicks off

Who will make the EPL Top 4 this season? (Choose 4)

• Total voters
--
-- Barton is in trouble again.. you see what he did to Pedersen?

No, I didn't see anything of that game. I'll go take a look. Once a thug, always a thug I reckon. He's a very unpleasant character.

There's a couple of worrying characters at Newcastle right now, Carroll has however been selected for England so I hope that brings some maturity. Barton... his younger brother is in prison for a horrific racial axe murder in Huyton a few years ago. At least Barton apologised for his punch - however I wonder if he would have hadn't he been caught.

He needs to lose his place in the team for a few games, remind him that his behaviour has to be top notch. I don't mind him playing the hard man but there are tolerable limits which he can puch beyond.

There's a couple of worrying characters at Newcastle right now, Carroll has however been selected for England so I hope that brings some maturity. Barton... his younger brother is in prison for a horrific racial axe murder in Huyton a few years ago. At least Barton apologised for his punch - however I wonder if he would have hadn't he been caught.

He needs to lose his place in the team for a few games, remind him that his behaviour has to be top notch. I don't mind him playing the hard man but there are tolerable limits which he can puch beyond.

Problem with Barton is that he is quite a good player.. he has vision and can pass a ball.

Btw, what happened to Alan Smith?

Problem with Barton is that he is quite a good player.. he has vision and can pass a ball.

Btw, what happened to Alan Smith?

Cheik Ismael Tioté. Hatem Ben Arfa is out for a while thanks to de Jong but Tioté is doing well. Smith has started a couple of games alongside Barton this season.

Another crazy week in the English Premiership.

Man U on top after a 7 goal thrashing of Blackburn, Arsenal rebound after 2 defeats and Chealski and Man City fail again to live up to their player value. Liverpool 15 minutes from entering the European places but Tottenham bounce back to steal a win. First week in history of the Premiership where all teams scored a minimum of one goal.. considering the Premiership is almost 20 years old.. kinda interesting.

I still cannot see the outcome of this week changing the end season results. Chelsea will win the league and Man Utd will be second.

-- Chelsea will win the league --

Some of the recent Chelsea results are not too promising I'm afraid - the next month will tell us who's going to be on top - Man U have one of the strongest records over the Xmas period and if they are on top by January, they will take some stopping.

Some of the recent Chelsea results are not too promising I'm afraid - the next month will tell us who's going to be on top - Man U have one of the strongest records over the Xmas period and if they are on top by January, they will take some stopping.
Still too early in the season.

I know, that's why I said if Man U are at the top by January, they usually go on to win. I haven't looked at the stats but I'm guessing it's something like 90-95% that they've gone on from that position.

The strange season continues. Chealski cant beat Tottenham despite getting a 92minute penalty and have not won a game in quite a while. Newcastle fire their manager and win over Liverpool. Arsenal is top followed by Man City who despite infighting and other issues are up there. Tomorrow is Arsenal vs Man United.. a must see game.

Last edited:
-- Newcastle fire their manager and win over Liverpool--

You wouldn't believe how angry ordinary NUFC fans have been over Chris Hughton's treatment. Alan Pardew getting a 5 1/2 year contract so quickly also raised hackles - however if his winning start continues then many will forget.

All I can say is I was disgusted at CH's treatment and I hope he lands a new contract pretty soon - he was always left picking up the pieces and brought NUFC back from absolute disaster last year when we were relegated.

He deserved better.

Just something that should make you laugh.

Just something that should make you laugh.

Not that it is relevant to the discussion since Ronaldo plays in Spain... but else I agree he is gay....and I tease my cousins daughter about it since she has the hots for him :)

Does any one know when the postponed game between Chelsea and Man Utd will be played?

Dont think they have figured it out yet.

And bye bye Chealski it seems. I said they would win this year, but it looks more and more like Man United will regain the crown. Man City are too inconsistent and with their internal team problems, then well. They need to solve those problems (sell Adebayor!) and gain consistency and hope Man United start to loose games. Arsenal are also too inconsistent, and still have to face Man United. The dark horse will be Tottenham, but their Champion League race will take a lot out of them so ..

Arsenal has faced Man Unted. And they lost.

Still too early in the season.

I'm afraid things are working out pretty much as I didn't want...

1. Man Utd 1st Place 41 points two games in hand
  2. Man City 1st Place 41 points played 21 games
  3. Arsenal 3rd Place 39 points played 20 games

The other teams have to wrestle the championship away from Man U. All my Man U friends are walking around with an expectant air about them and history is on their side.

Looks like the title is Manchester United's too loose already.

Manchester United are playing like true Champions... like crap but winning any ways.

Manchester City is nr. 2 but could not (or even tried) to beat Arsenal last night. Along with the internal problems (hopefully resolved soon) and the usual inconsistency, I dont see how they can catch Man U up.

Arsenal is nr. 3 drew as I said with Man City last night, and considering the amount of possession they have/had then they seriously lack a consistent goal scorer.

Tottenham is nr. 4 but lost also last night. Their goal difference is only 6, which is shocking considering they are nr 4. They also have Champions League to deal with so the next month or so will be critical.

Chealski is 5th... they were 5 points ahead of everyone in October. They are not playing well at all. At this rate Chealski could easily go further down and that leaves the UEFA cup place open to a host of clubs.

In the next week Chealski and Liverpool will be looking for new managers... Liverpool will fire first I believe.

And the first falls.... Liverpool manager is gone.

Liverpool's know-nothing owners have given in to mob rule and sacked the admirable Roy H. and given the fans what they want in Dalglish. If those fans believe their problems are now at an end, it will be interesting to see their reaction when Kenny can do nothing to change things either.

I think it is indeed Man Utd's championship to to lose. I think City and Arsenal are the only serious alternative contenders. If City can beat Utd at OT and maintain consistency (where you're getting this 'inconsistent' trope from is anyone's guess - 1 defeat in our last 10 games is better than any other team, and the same as Utd) then we might have a chance. Nevertheless, we are way ahead of our targets for this season, which was to finish 4th and have a good run in Europe. We are 2nd and have topped our Europa League group. A good FA Cup run and we'll be as happy as City fans have been for 40 years. Happy New Year doubters!

Last edited:
Liverpool's know-nothing owners have given in to mob rule and sacked the admirable Roy H. and given the fans what they want in Dalglish. If those fans believe their problems are now at an end, it will be interesting to see their reaction when Kenny can do nothing to change things either.

Roy H. has never been real successful in managing a top team. His time at Inter (only other top team he managed) was about as successful as his time at Liverpool. He has however been very successful at smaller teams and taking them further than they normally would be.. Fulham f.eks. But considering that the Fulham job was the first time he stayed in one place for more than 2 years, then.. In other words, he is WAYYYYYY overrated.

I think it is indeed Man Utd's championship to to lose. I think City and Arsenal are the only serious alternative contenders. If City can beat Utd at OT and maintain consistency (where you're getting this 'inconsistent' trope from is anyone's guess - 1 defeat in our last 10 games is better than any other team, and the same as Utd) then we might have a chance. Nevertheless, we are way ahead of our targets for this season, which was to finish 4th and have a good run in Europe. We are 2nd and have topped our Europa League group. A good FA Cup run and we'll be as happy as City fans have been for 40 years. Happy New Year doubters!

By consistency I mean.. they have lost this year. Man U have not (so far), and that is the "lack of consistency" that is a title killer when you have a team like Man U playing like **** and still getting 3 points.

But I agree, considering the Man City recent history.. 2nd or 3rd place is huge.

-- But considering that the Fulham job was the first time he stayed in one place for more than 2 years --

I had wondered about that, thanks for pointing it out though.

-- considering the Man City recent history.. 2nd or 3rd place is huge.

Comes down to the money men though - Man City's owners have spent hugely and will want to see some silverware back in return for that cash.

And haven't Chelsea gone downhill since Ray Wilkin's strange and very sudden departure... even though apparently many senior Chelsea players were behind the sudden sacking.

Villa is the team to watch.

I had wondered about that, thanks for pointing it out though.

He was the manager of FC Copenhagen during the 2000-2001 season, and took the team to its second championship in its history (the club is a very young club btw founded in 1992)..... and left for struggling Udinese in Italy... literally during the night a few days after the season was over and here he made no impact and left/was fired at the end of 2001. He was only there a few months. That was the first time I heard of Hodgson and it is not exactly the attitude of someone you can trust or admire. His whole carrer has been like that until he hit Fulham. I actually felt sorry for Fulham at first but after the first year I thought hey maybe he will stay a bit longer.. When Liverpool came along he dumped Fulham like yesterday's dirty laundry and left.. again.

Since his managerial start in 1976, he has been manager of 18 clubs (19 changes, since he was head of Inter twice). That is an average of just under 2 years per club, and most of them have been in Sweden, Denmark and Finland. And in that average includes time spent unemployed in between clubs, so in reality the time spent as a manager in clubs is lower.

Comes down to the money men though - Man City's owners have spent hugely and will want to see some silverware back in return for that cash.

Of course, money rules football. Man City would not be there if it was not for the money. But money does not buy a championship.. it does help though. Real Madrid spent 400 million euros last season and got nothing out of it. I have no doubt that Man City will be challenging seriously for the title next year if not this year (depends on Man U), just as Real Madrid and Chealski challenge for the title each year, but that does not mean they will win. Take Real Madrid.. if Ronaldo gets injured again this year, then that is their title hopes (he is carrying them atm with his goal scoring).

Another good example is my local team.. Malaga F.C. the second richest team on the planet (has the Qatar royals behind them). They are starting slowly, only spending 10s of millions and building a team for the long run. It will be interesting to see where Malaga F.C. are say in 5 years since they have taken a totally different approach to making a team than Man City, Chealski or Real Madrid.

And haven't Chelsea gone downhill since Ray Wilkin's strange and very sudden departure... even though apparently many senior Chelsea players were behind the sudden sacking.

Chelsea reminds me more and more of Real Madrid.. tons of stars that cant play together.

Back
Top Bottom