• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

English Premier League kicks off

Who will make the EPL Top 4 this season? (Choose 4)

• Total voters
I think you'll find Manchester has had more sunshine and less rain this year than either you or I have seen. Dontcha love global warming?

As for food, Manchester has better restaurants than you'll find in all of Andalucía.

Michelin Guide 2010: UK has more starred restaurants than ever before - Telegraph

I repeat.. weather and food.. and more weather. Playing in minus 5 degrees does not suit a hot-blooded latino like Tevez :)

But biggest reason is his family. They cant stand the UK and live in Argentina or Brazil. That is one hell of a long distance relationship. I suspect they could deal with living in Spain or Italy (south) but not the UK as they have clearly shown.

Last edited:
But biggest reason is his family. They cant stand the UK and live in Argentina or Brazil. That is one hell of a long distance relationship. I suspect they could deal with living in Spain or Italy (south) but not the UK as they have clearly shown.

Check out the climates of Manchester and Buenos Aires; strangely not that diffierent. BA winters are MUCH colder than Manchester's.

The family issue seems to be the crux. Moving to a Spanish or Italian club wouldn't make much difference if the family stayed in BA. If the family moved to Italy or Spain, Tevez could stay in Manchester and shuttle back and forth as easily as those many, many players who play in London clubs and whose families remain in the North or Scotland. I have a few friends who work in the UK but whose family live in Spain. They shuttle weekly, sometimes twice weekly, and maintain a reasonable lifestyle. I think Carlosito should try it for a season and see how it works out. He then gets to play CL football with a club he is achieving success with AND he gets to see more of the family. If it doesn't work he can move to Spain or Italy next season.

I know that the money issue can't be driving him away from City as he would earn no more if he went to a big Italian or Spanish club, probably less in fact.

Only a very limited number of clubs could be seen as a step up from City these days. In Italy only AC Milan or Inter are bigger clubs. In Spain only Barca or Real are bigger. I think Italy, wherever, would be a retrograde step as the Calcio is an inferior league to the Premiership in almost every respect. The BBVA is probably on a par, but only if you are at Barca or Real.

That's the lesson that United learned from Liverpool and that everyone else either hasn't learned, or ignores. Stability. It's not everything (ask Arsenal), but it's the basic foundation of everything.

Newcastle United horrible treatment of Chris Hughton being a case in point, not that he would have taken us to top of the table but he did well with limited resource and as a" back-stop"

-- The Manchester United team that was beaten by City in the FA Cup semifinal was worth £150m in transfer fees. Their City opponents were worth £154m, yet somehow City are 'buying' their success and United don't.

Good point.

-- They need to stop dithering and get the two clubs together with the city council and sort out a joint home. If AC Milan and Inter can do it, why not Liverpool and Everton?

I don't understand what the problem in Liverpool actually is - there is not a high degree of animosity between rival supporters. Both clubs have chosen different areas of Liverpool but a shared ground still makes the best sense.

Regarding other sports, what I meant was that there is lots of support for a shared football ground and in terms of wider Liverpool development there has been a push to support less popular sports more.

Grats Man United on the title.

Grats Man City on automatic qualification to the Champions League. Pitty you could not have scored more goals to pass Chealski on goal difference... would have been sweet.

Grats Wolves, Wigan and Blackburn for avoiding the drop. Wolves avoided it by ONE freaking goal. Must intense Football Focus I have seen on the BBC..

Poor Arsenal.. yet another problem game.. only saved at the last minute. Loosing out on 3rd to Man City means they have to play qualification for the Champions League.

Poor Blackpool, so close but so far. They will be missed especially their colourful manager.

Poor Birmingham... going down based on one goal. Next year will be Championship Football and of course.. the UEFA cup... bizarre.

And finally... bye bye Anchelotti.. guess a championship and a FA cup medal in two years is not enough for Chealski.. a big shame if you ask me.

Now we have to wait for the next season... 3 looooooooooooong months :(

Grats Man United on the title.

Grats Man City on automatic qualification to the Champions League. Pitty you could not have scored more goals to pass Chealski on goal difference... would have been sweet.

Grats Wolves, Wigan and Blackburn for avoiding the drop. Wolves avoided it by ONE freaking goal. Must intense Football Focus I have seen on the BBC..

Poor Arsenal.. yet another problem game.. only saved at the last minute. Loosing out on 3rd to Man City means they have to play qualification for the Champions League.

Poor Blackpool, so close but so far. They will be missed especially their colourful manager.

Poor Birmingham... going down based on one goal. Next year will be Championship Football and of course.. the UEFA cup... bizarre.

And finally... bye bye Anchelotti.. guess a championship and a FA cup medal in two years is not enough for Chealski.. a big shame if you ask me.

Now we have to wait for the next season... 3 looooooooooooong months :(

Great day of football.

Of course I'm delighted that we end 3rd, one place better than we expected and with a cup in the cabinet. The future looks sweet for those of us who remember cold February nights playing away at Colchester United and Lincoln City just 12 years ago.

I'm very sad that Blackpool have gone down. They were the romantic's favourite team of the season. They had an illustrious history in the 50s and 60s and played the game we all wish our teams would play it; attack, attack, attack. Unfortunately you need defenders too.

I'm happy for Wigan and Wolves. I like Martínez and McCarthy a lot. They are both good men and good managers and deserved survival almost as much as Ian Holloway at Blackpool did. Birmingham and West Ham both kind of deserved their fates.

(Gritted teeth) Well done Man Utd. They were the best team through the course of the season. I don't understand how Vidic got a Player of the Year award; he's never more than functional.

Chelsea just about deserved to pip us on goal difference. I'm a bit sorry for Ancelotti. He's a man who, with owners like ours, would have been given the opportunity to fully manage the team. He wasn't and, had they allowed him to, might have won the league (not the CL though).

It was an intense and hugely entertaining last day. I feel exhausted! It's at times like this that I understand why, despite trying, I can't invest as much interest and excitement in La Liga as I do in the Premiership. Spanish football hits the highs of expertise and refinement. You will see sublime plays and wonderful individual displays of footballing prowess, but you know that the prize will go one of two ways; Barca and Real have shared 17 of the past 20 titles. Elsewhere the honours have been spread around a bit more. In France the top 2 clubs (Marseilles and Lyon) have only shared 10 of the 20 most recent championships, in England, although Man Utd and Chelsea have won 15 of the last 20 titles, they haven't done so unchallenged. I can't remember when Barca and Real were not the top 2 teams in Spain. Can you?

Of course I'm biased, but this has been a most wonderful season of football in England. It really wasn't a foregone conclusion until mid-April and has seen the champions gain 80 points, and a spread of points from 1st to 6th of 22 points. In Spain the spread of points from 1st to 6th was 38 points. In Italy it was 19 points, Germany it was 28, France 18, Holland 18.

What I'm saying is that English domestic football is more compelling and more competitive than any other; Spanish more skillful. I love both for different reasons, but I really don't know how, this being an 'odd' year, how I'm going to cope for 3 months without my fix. I'm a football junky.

Come on you Blue Boys!

-- Now we have to wait for the next season... 3 looooooooooooong months :(

Yeah, 3 very long months and then the Rugby World Cup is here. Can't wait.

Oh, and I might enjoy a bit of Newcastle football in the meantime but rugby comes first in September.

Yeah, 3 very long months and then the Rugby World Cup is here. Can't wait.

Oh, and I might enjoy a bit of Newcastle football in the meantime but rugby comes first in September.

'Enjoy' is a bit strong if you're talking about Newcastle, isn't it? :2razz:

I have a nephew who's a big Toon fan. He seems to do nothing but grumble and suffer.

'Enjoy' is a bit strong if you're talking about Newcastle, isn't it? :2razz:

Goes with the territory Anda, every so often we do something right and then the blood rushes to our nose and we sack a good manager or sell a star player we really need to keep.

Goes with the territory Anda, every so often we do something right and then the blood rushes to our nose and we sack a good manager or sell a star player we really need to keep.

What Newcastle needs more than a new manager or new star is a new owner.

Why-Aye man.

I'd still like to see Chris Hughton back. :(

Why-Aye man.

I'd still like to see Chris Hughton back. :(

I believe Martin O'Neill is looking to get back into management. He was having talks with Nottingham Forest to take over should they have won promotion - Billy Davies is not popular with either the board or the fans - but now that they are staying in the Championship they can't afford him or his expectations of a transfer kitty. I think O'Neill, John Robertson (his No.2) and Newcastle might make a very good fit.

Much as I'd like to see Pardew gone, I don't know that Martin O'Neill is the right person for Newcastle right now. What the Toon need now is stability.

Much as I'd like to see Pardew gone, I don't know that Martin O'Neill is the right person for Newcastle right now. What the Toon need now is stability.

What Toon need now is investment of some of that money that 52,000 ticket sales to every home game (25 games, cup and league, 52,000 attendance = 1.3m tickets at an average of, say 40 GBP = 52m quid) + 40m TV income + commercial sales brings. Newcastle should be rolling in it, it's not like you've got anyone at the club commanding top-dollar wages. Who is your highest-paid squad member? Kevin Nolan? Shola Ameobi? I just looked at your squad and it's pretty thin. I can't see anyone of top-drawer quality, with the possible exception of Nolan and Ireland, on a good day. How much is Pardew going to receive for squad strengthening this summer?

What Toon need now is investment of some of that money that 52,000 ticket sales to every home game (25 games, cup and league, 52,000 attendance = 1.3m tickets at an average of, say 40 GBP = 52m quid) + 40m TV income + commercial sales brings. Newcastle should be rolling in it, it's not like you've got anyone at the club commanding top-dollar wages. Who is your highest-paid squad member? Kevin Nolan? Shola Ameobi? I just looked at your squad and it's pretty thin. I can't see anyone of top-drawer quality, with the possible exception of Nolan and Ireland, on a good day. How much is Pardew going to receive for squad strengthening this summer?

Andy, I read recently Newcastle are running at about 80% of revenue, or something like that, on players wages alone...

BBC News - Newcastle football club losses increase

Paul

Djoop and ludahai got 4/4 and I can't believe I actually went with Aston Villa on this one. I thought it's their season. Oh well.

Aston Villa!! Apoc that shows a severe lack of understanding in the 'beautiful game':lol:

Paul

Andy, I read recently Newcastle are running at about 80% of revenue, or something like that, on players wages alone...

BBC News - Newcastle football club losses increase

Paul

Have you seen their squad? How that lot can command 80% of revenue is a mystery. Either their revenue streams are not being developed properly or their wages policy needs a radical overhaul. They need to get rid of a lot of dead wood, a lot! Even given the terrific season we've had, City are looking to ditch about 6 big name players in the Summer. I expect to see the back of: Jô, Adebayor, Robinho, Shay Given, Boateng, and probably Wright-Phillips. Of course Tevez might go too, although I think the balance of probabilities now is that he will stay.

Would Newcastle miss Sol Campbell? Shefki Kuqi? Alan Smith? I bet Toon could spend their wages on just one player who would better their collective 15 games a season. It just strikes me that it is a club being hideously managed. It has one of the biggest fan bases in the country, if they can't make a profit, then no one can.

It was an intense and hugely entertaining last day. I feel exhausted! It's at times like this that I understand why, despite trying, I can't invest as much interest and excitement in La Liga as I do in the Premiership. Spanish football hits the highs of expertise and refinement. You will see sublime plays and wonderful individual displays of footballing prowess, but you know that the prize will go one of two ways; Barca and Real have shared 17 of the past 20 titles. Elsewhere the honours have been spread around a bit more. In France the top 2 clubs (Marseilles and Lyon) have only shared 10 of the 20 most recent championships, in England, although Man Utd and Chelsea have won 15 of the last 20 titles, they haven't done so unchallenged. I can't remember when Barca and Real were not the top 2 teams in Spain. Can you?

I can. Deportivo (relegated on Saturday) in 1999-2000 and Valencia in 2000-1 and again in 2003-4. In fact the 1990s and 2000s were quite diverse in who was 1-3 in the Spanish League.

There has actually been bigger "upsets" in Spanish football in the last decade or so than there has been in English.

Of course I'm biased, but this has been a most wonderful season of football in England. It really wasn't a foregone conclusion until mid-April and has seen the champions gain 80 points, and a spread of points from 1st to 6th of 22 points. In Spain the spread of points from 1st to 6th was 38 points. In Italy it was 19 points, Germany it was 28, France 18, Holland 18.

Well the amount of money put into the top 6 teams in the Uk could pay for all those leagues listed (almost). And lets not forget that the top teams lost a lot of games this year or drew which lowers the gaps.. that did not happen persay in Spain.

What I'm saying is that English domestic football is more compelling and more competitive than any other; Spanish more skillful. I love both for different reasons, but I really don't know how, this being an 'odd' year, how I'm going to cope for 3 months without my fix. I'm a football junky.

Personally I dont find English domestic football more compelling than Spanish. English football is far too physical and kick and rush for my taste. But Spanish football could use a few more teams in the top but as long as La Liga tv revenue is split as it is, then it wont happen. Valencia is in mega debt and the other top teams also have money problems and can not compete with Barcelona and especially Real Madrid.

I can. Deportivo (relegated on Saturday) in 1999-2000 and Valencia in 2000-1 and again in 2003-4. In fact the 1990s and 2000s were quite diverse in who was 1-3 in the Spanish League.
Sloppy wording on my part. I had acknowledged that 3 out of the past 20 championships haven't gone to Real/Barca.
There has actually been bigger "upsets" in Spanish football in the last decade or so than there has been in English.
Such as? The only one I can remember was the Alcorcón defeat of Real in last year's Copa del Rey. Big clubs are regularly defeated by lower league sides in the FA Cup. This season Premier League sides Newcastle, Sunderland, and Blackpool were all beaten by 3rd or 4th division opposition in the 3rd round.
Well the amount of money put into the top 6 teams in the Uk could pay for all those leagues listed (almost). And lets not forget that the top teams lost a lot of games this year or drew which lowers the gaps.. that did not happen persay in Spain.
We're not discussing money, but the quality of the football on offer. Is La Liga BBVA better than the Portuguese Liga Sagres? Of course it is. Real Madrid's budget could pay for all the Portuguese teams put together. Isn't that beside the point too?

Personally I dont find English domestic football more compelling than Spanish. English football is far too physical and kick and rush for my taste. But Spanish football could use a few more teams in the top but as long as La Liga tv revenue is split as it is, then it wont happen. Valencia is in mega debt and the other top teams also have money problems and can not compete with Barcelona and especially Real Madrid.
Yes, the Spanish system guarantees that no one is able to challenge the mighty twosome. That keeps the league less competitive and less compelling. As far as the different styles of football to be seen in England and Spain, that's undeniable. Which you prefer is a matter of personal taste. I've heard some people claim to enjoy Serie A!

Et tu, Ryan?

What's up with British football players having an affair behind their woman's back?

Sloppy wording on my part. I had acknowledged that 3 out of the past 20 championships haven't gone to Real/Barca.

Such as? The only one I can remember was the Alcorcón defeat of Real in last year's Copa del Rey. Big clubs are regularly defeated by lower league sides in the FA Cup. This season Premier League sides Newcastle, Sunderland, and Blackpool were all beaten by 3rd or 4th division opposition in the 3rd round.

Was talking about winning La Liga. Last upset in the UK was Blackburn in 1994-1995. In fact it was the only upset so to say, since every Premier League champion since the Premier League started has been either Man U, Arsenal or Chealski. In the same period Deportivo and Valencia has won 3 championships combined. The only real difference is that in the UK it is now 3 with Chealski since 2004 instead of two.

We're not discussing money, but the quality of the football on offer. Is La Liga BBVA better than the Portuguese Liga Sagres? Of course it is. Real Madrid's budget could pay for all the Portuguese teams put together. Isn't that beside the point too?

I would say that La Liga football is much more enjoyable to watch than most games in the Premiership. Spanish football is far more attacking and technical than the defensive kick and rush football most teams in England play.

Yes, the Spanish system guarantees that no one is able to challenge the mighty twosome. That keeps the league less competitive and less compelling. As far as the different styles of football to be seen in England and Spain, that's undeniable. Which you prefer is a matter of personal taste. I've heard some people claim to enjoy Serie A!

But saying that, it is changing. Getafe has been bought by big Arab money as has Malaga. So who knows, things can be changing in Spain as well. As for Spain being "less competitive".. well yes and no. If by less competitive you mean 2 teams in Spain vs 2 teams or 3 in England . then yes.

But to be fair this year was "odd" in England. The top teams dropped far more points against each other and especially against smaller teams than normal. This meant the gap between first and say 6th was far smaller than normal. For example, Manchester United drew 11 games.... that is a lot compared to previous winners of the Premiership. Chealski drew 5 last season and Man U 6 the season before that. The amount of lost games as approx the same. This meant that this years points number was quite low. The 80 points of Man U would have given them a 4th place just 2 years ago and 3rd place last year.

Now you can attribute this to the other teams becoming better or the usual suspects becoming weaker. Personally I think it is a combination of both with more leaning towards the usual suspects becoming weaker. I attribute these issue to too old teams or too inexperienced.

Only Man U managed to balance it well this year but next year without Giggs (maybe) and Scholes I suspect they will struggle. But even this year, when Giggs or/and Scholes were not on the pitch they struggled more than when they were on the pitch. I believe if you look at the games Man U drew or lost, then one or both of them were not on the pitch in a majority of the time. Also Man U suffered badly with central defender problems.

Arsenal has a young but far far to inexperienced squad still and it showed at key moments in key games. Time and time again they had meltdowns in every part of the field. Defence looked almost comical sometimes, their goal keeping problems were even more funny and then of course wit Van Persie out for a large part of the season, then they lacked a goal scorer.

Chealski is old boys football with Drogba, Lampart and Terry. They might be great players but the replacements are far from their standards and Terry and Lampart are showing their age with injuries and not up to par performances.

And then we have Liverpool who totally melted this year but came back strong without Gerrad even.

Only team to really surprise some what is Man City, but even they had their issues. Far too many games drawn or lost and of the top 4, they had the lowest goal difference. But saying that, Man City have the future (and money) ahead of them since their team is far more balanced than the other teams. They have the young, the experienced and the super stars in a good mix. Now they only have to learn to play together better and maybe add some quality defenders... real defenders, not defensive midfielder that have been re-schooled. Still pisses me off Football Focus punters putting Kompany as a defender.. he is NOT a defender and never has been.

So I would not attribute this years odd Premiership to be the future until there is more empirical evidence that things have changed from two to three teams fighting it out to more than that.

Was talking about winning La Liga. Last upset in the UK was Blackburn in 1994-1995. In fact it was the only upset so to say, since every Premier League champion since the Premier League started has been either Man U, Arsenal or Chealski. In the same period Deportivo and Valencia has won 3 championships combined. The only real difference is that in the UK it is now 3 with Chealski since 2004 instead of two.
Well, try this. Could you imagine another team other than Barca or Real winning the Liga next season? I certainly couldn't. Villareal, the next best, are way behind the top 2. Could you imagine another team, other than ManUre, Chelsea or Arsenal winning the Premiership next season? I think no one would be THAT surprised if City or Liverpool came close or even succeeded. IN England there are now, and only just now, 5 or 6 teams with championship-winning potential.

I would say that La Liga football is much more enjoyable to watch than most games in the Premiership. Spanish football is far more attacking and technical than the defensive kick and rush football most teams in England play.
Only if Barca or Real are involved. English football is nothing like defensive kick and rush. That's an old, old stereotype that hasn't been remotely true for years.
Still pisses me off Football Focus punters putting Kompany as a defender.. he is NOT a defender and never has been.
Not only is Kompany a 'real' defender, he's one of the best defenders in world football at the moment. He has been out best player of the season, even takng Tevez into account. That he started out as a midfielder is undeniable, but that he has developed into the ideal centre back is equally undeniable.

So I would not attribute this years odd Premiership to be the future until there is more empirical evidence that things have changed from two to three teams fighting it out to more than that.
This season has given ample evidence that things are changing. I haven't seen much evidence of that happening in Spain. Malaga's revival in the latter part of the season is the only thing I can put my finger on, and that was hardly spectacular. Getafe just missed relegation and will not be any kind of major force. I can't see anything changing in the future while the financing issue is still such a mess and so unfair to clubs like Sevilla.

Well, try this. Could you imagine another team other than Barca or Real winning the Liga next season? I certainly couldn't. Villareal, the next best, are way behind the top 2. Could you imagine another team, other than ManUre, Chelsea or Arsenal winning the Premiership next season? I think no one would be THAT surprised if City or Liverpool came close or even succeeded. IN England there are now, and only just now, 5 or 6 teams with championship-winning potential.

Well for next season I only see a race between Man U and Man City.

Chealski are in turmoil and need a generational change and new manager. Drogbah is most likely gone, as are quite a few other players.

Arsenal is... Arsenal and if rumours are correct there will be a huge player change there as well. Arshavin, Bendtner, Nasri, Denielson and more are said to be heading for the door.

Liverpool maybe but depends on what they buy and they need a lot. Left backs, midfielder x 2 and a centre back or two. Even a back up attacker would be good.

Only big "if" is Man U being able to switch out Van der Saar, Giggs and Scholes fast. So far it seems De Gea is coming to replace Van der Saar... so we shall see.

As for the Spanish league. No for next season I dont see anyone challenging the two but that is based on lack of money in the top usual contenders. Saying that, Getafe and Malaga have a huge pot of Arab money behind them so who knows and we have seen surprises before based on young talent built up locally. I would only really count out A Madrid since they loosing their talisman and goal keeper. Valencia, Sevilla, Villereal will all push the top two as they always do.

Only if Barca or Real are involved. English football is nothing like defensive kick and rush. That's an old, old stereotype that hasn't been remotely true for years.

Disagree. Most Spanish teams are technically good and dont play kick and rush. Where as the English teams do. Tottenham always resorts to kick and rush, Chealski as well. All the mid table and lower table teams play kick and rush. While it might not be the "classical" version of kick and rush, it is a style of football that requires tallish (or good jumping) strong players that receive the ball from people at the back usually via a long high ball.

Not only is Kompany a 'real' defender, he's one of the best defenders in world football at the moment. He has been out best player of the season, even takng Tevez into account. That he started out as a midfielder is undeniable, but that he has developed into the ideal centre back is equally undeniable.

He will always be a midfielder, just as Mascherano is a midfielder :) They are never "ideal" centre backs.

This season has given ample evidence that things are changing.

its one season and that is my point. If next season also has 4+ teams challenging for the title a month before the end of the season then yea, then I can agree.

I haven't seen much evidence of that happening in Spain. Malaga's revival in the latter part of the season is the only thing I can put my finger on, and that was hardly spectacular. Getafe just missed relegation and will not be any kind of major force. I can't see anything changing in the future while the financing issue is still such a mess and so unfair to clubs like Sevilla.

To be fair, Getafe got bought after the buying window was closed. Malaga we shall see. They were highly disappointing the first part of the season but since the beast got playing it seems they have totally changed. That too is dangerous to be so reliant on one player. But they have the money to buy whoever they want, just like Getafe, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

-- Newcastle should be rolling in it, it's not like you've got anyone at the club commanding top-dollar wages --

They are, firstly it was Freddy Shepherd and Hall syphoning off all the profit from the huge fan-base and now it's Ashley. Trouble is that money has never been and never will be spent on a stable program of long-term investment in getting the club to the top.

Being a Newcastle United supporter is not about aiming for the top but a lifetime of frustration and perennial failure at the club.

As for the Spanish league. No for next season I dont see anyone challenging the two but that is based on lack of money in the top usual contenders. Saying that, Getafe and Malaga have a huge pot of Arab money behind them so who knows and we have seen surprises before based on young talent built up locally. I would only really count out A Madrid since they loosing their talisman and goal keeper. Valencia, Sevilla, Villereal will all push the top two as they always do.
That depends on what you define as 'push'. I think the team most likely to make headway next season will be Málaga, with money and a top-flight manager in Pellegrini, they can start to make an impression on positions 3-6, but not the top 2.

Disagree. Most Spanish teams are technically good and dont play kick and rush. Where as the English teams do. Tottenham always resorts to kick and rush, Chealski as well. All the mid table and lower table teams play kick and rush. While it might not be the "classical" version of kick and rush, it is a style of football that requires tallish (or good jumping) strong players that receive the ball from people at the back usually via a long high ball.
You're wrong. You are mistaking the ability to play a in a number of different styles. The best English clubs can vary their play and their tactical approach dependent on th opposition. What you call disparagingly 'kick-and-rush' sounds to me like counter-attacking football, something Real Madrid employs often, and Seviila, and especially Villareal. That's the style of play developed to its highest level by the classic Liverpool team of the 80s that brought them 4 European championships from 1977-1984, and by the Nottingham Forest of Brian Clough, back-to-back EC winners in 79 and 80. Clearly you don't like it, but plenty of people do and it's this variety that makes the Premier League by far the most-watched domestic league in the world in terms of combined attendance and TV audiences.
He will always be a midfielder, just as Mascherano is a midfielder :) They are never "ideal" centre backs.
What a very conservative approach. I'd say he was more effective than any other central defender in the league this season. We certainly kept more clean sheets than any other team. What more can you ask of a defender?

its one season and that is my point. If next season also has 4+ teams challenging for the title a month before the end of the season then yea, then I can agree.
I'll remember that.

That depends on what you define as 'push'. I think the team most likely to make headway next season will be Málaga, with money and a top-flight manager in Pellegrini, they can start to make an impression on positions 3-6, but not the top 2.

Dont count out Getafe just yet. There owners are richer than Man City's I believe and they have not started yet. But we shall see. I would also not count out Valencia or Villareal either. Nor Sevilia.

Malaga needs some more quaility that is for sure. Ironically not in attack as much as others.. they have 3 very young and talented players there. But defenders, left back, and midfielder's.. we shall see.

You're wrong. You are mistaking the ability to play a in a number of different styles. The best English clubs can vary their play and their tactical approach dependent on th opposition. What you call disparagingly 'kick-and-rush' sounds to me like counter-attacking football, something Real Madrid employs often, and Seviila, and especially Villareal.

No counter-attacking football is just that. Kick and rush long ball is players lobbing high long balls into the penalty area or just before hoping their attackers can do something. Instead of building up like Man City, Man U, Barcelona it is a defender or wing-back that makes a long high "pass" up to a big center forward so he can head it on goal or head it to a charging fellow attacker. 99% of the time it turns into nothing and the team stays in its own half waiting for the next chance of a long lob. It is boring as hell to watch.

That's the style of play developed to its highest level by the classic Liverpool team of the 80s that brought them 4 European championships from 1977-1984, and by the Nottingham Forest of Brian Clough, back-to-back EC winners in 79 and 80. Clearly you don't like it, but plenty of people do and it's this variety that makes the Premier League by far the most-watched domestic league in the world in terms of combined attendance and TV audiences.

I dont mind counter-attack football.. in fact it can be quite enjoyable to watch. However I do mind the long ball style football and ultra defensive "Italian/Norwegian" style football where winning 1-0 is just fine. It is boring and horrible to watch and that is what many in the Premiership do play on.. not saying the top clubs btw although they do apply such tactics against superior technical teams like Barcelona.

What a very conservative approach. I'd say he was more effective than any other central defender in the league this season. We certainly kept more clean sheets than any other team. What more can you ask of a defender?

To be honest.. I do not attribute your defence as the key to the clean sheets.. I attribute you goalie for that. If it had not been for him... The top teams with "great defences" all have one thing in common... top flight goal keepers. But if you look at the defenders themselves then they are only human and there is more than one situation where they are made to look like utter 5th divison defenders. And that is where the world class goalkeeper comes into play.

Take Arsenal. One of the reason they as always disintegrated from April onwards was the goalkeeper. The defence was no different than before. Making mistakes and looking like fools happened semi often, but as long as the goalkeeper was on top then it was no problem and they were in the hunt. Then the goalkeeper got injured and then suddenly the defensive "issues" became much more apparent because the goal keeper was ****. And when the 1. goalkeeper came back the issues continued .. remember the total utter **** up between goalkeeper and defender? And that cost them the ability to challenge for the top spots.

Take Man U. They had Van der Saar. Their defence was injury prone all season and the dynamic duo rarely played together. This gave possibilities to Smalling and Evans and so on.. and yet Man U were kept time and time again in the title challenge because of Van der Saar.

Or take my favourite Real Madrid. Had it not been for him against Barcelona, then Barca would have won by much much more than they did. Hell he kept Real in the game during the Kings Cup Final. And in La Liga, Real Madrid often played very offensive football against the lower teams which left the back very vulnerable and with the defenders not being the best in the world defensively, then quite often they let the opposition through.. but there was the Wall.. Casilias.

I'll remember that.

No doubt.. since I probably wont!

Back
Top Bottom