• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

England, United States 1-1 at half-time

And in the case of ties? Let's just say that USA and England win out. What's the tie-breaker? Who's the winner and who's the runner-up?

If the US and England both win out, they both move to the next round so it doesn't matter. If there was a need to break a tie to determine who goes to the next round, they use goal differential

If the US and England both win out, they both move to the next round so it doesn't matter. If there was a need to break a tie to determine who goes to the next round, they use goal differential

It does matter if they both go...who is first and who is second drives who they will see in round 2. They use goal differential.

I say yes to calling it football, and we call the other sport American Football.

I never could understand why we (America) call a sports focued on using your hands "football". Why don't we call Basketball "Kickball" as well?

I never could understand why we (America) call a sports focued on using your hands "football". Why don't we call Basketball "Kickball" as well?

Originally football was all about kicking the ball. Running and passing came later.

Indeed heavy underdog. Actually I thought you were surprisingly good in the last world cup. I was just showing the difference. It shows that you maybe do not expect too much of yourselves whereas English fans always expect to win the cup.

So do you call it football when you are in the world cup or is it still that other word.

Am guessing it will always be "soccer" from the Typical American's perspective. We are a little too obsessed with our pigskin football to ever back off of that association. ;)

Am of the age and geographical proximity that we grew up with the "big three" of Baseball, Football, Basketball. In the last couple of weeks i tackled learning some of the nuance of hockey for the sake of the Blackhawk successes. Not sure if I have the energy (or interest) to dive in to soccer. (although it does look pretty not-complex...)

Cheers....!!

It does matter if they both go...who is first and who is second drives who they will see in round 2. They use goal differential.

If we (the US) wind up in second place then we'll probably be playing against Germany and we're out at that point. But if we come in first, we will probably play Serbia, who we'd have a good shot at beating.

If we (the US) wind up in second place then we'll probably be playing against Germany and we're out at that point. But if we come in first, we will probably play Serbia, who we'd have a good shot at beating.

That's exactly the way my bracket looks. I figured we would be second fiddle to England.

And if that is equal, they use most goals scored...

Am guessing it will always be "soccer" from the Typical American's perspective. We are a little too obsessed with our pigskin football to ever back off of that association. ;)

Soccer is a bastardization of "Association Football", the official name of the sport in other English speaking countries...

Well, remember 2002 when the US played Germany the US was robbed by a non-call of a handball on the goal line on a Landon Donavon shot that would have tied the score at 1-1. Terrible no call and one that may very well have cost the US the match.

Also, Germany is generally not considered as strong as they were in either 2002 or 2006 and after this performance against England and remembering that the US defeated Spain last summer, it would not mean an automatic exit. Also, seeded teams don't always win their group. We will know a bit more after tonight's matches.

BTW, the way both Slovenia and Algeria are looking at halftime, I don't see how either will threaten either England or the US. May have to start counting goals...

Well, remember 2002 when the US played Germany the US was robbed by a non-call of a handball on the goal line on a Landon Donavon shot that would have tied the score at 1-1. Terrible no call and one that may very well have cost the US the match.

Also, Germany is generally not considered as strong as they were in either 2002 or 2006 and after this performance against England and remembering that the US defeated Spain last summer, it would not mean an automatic exit. Also, seeded teams don't always win their group. We will know a bit more after tonight's matches.

BTW, the way both Slovenia and Algeria are looking at halftime, I don't see how either will threaten either England or the US. May have to start counting goals...

Am clearly not a student of the game of soccer. But did see the highlight when the US scored against England. How typical or absurd was the action by the England goalie. Did not seem "world cup" quality.....:confused:

Am clearly not a student of the game of soccer. But did see the highlight when the US scored against England. How typical or absurd was the action by the England goalie. Did not seem "world cup" quality.....:confused:

Similar to the goal just allowed by the Algerian keeper against Slovenia. Perhaps because the ball isn't balanced as in previous world cups. It reacts funny off the ground... also, there have been some funny hops off the pitch (though I didn't note one in the Green gaff)

Soccer, like any other sport is a game played by humans. There will be human error. As a Red Sox can, I will never forget the Buckner gaff in game six in 1986. That wasn't World Series quality, but it was in the World Series. He made a great save in the second half without the help of the post to partly atone for that mistake. I give Green credit for not letting that gaff get to him. The U.S. could very easily have won it on the Altidore chance...

I'd just like to note that the tie the US pulled off against England was primarily due to the lucky break England's keeper gave us so while we kept England to one goal, the performance still doesn't inspire much confidence in me against Germany (they may be worse than in 2002 or 2006, but they're still better than England and we barely tied the English).

Am of the age and geographical proximity that we grew up with the "big three" of Baseball, Football, Basketball. In the last couple of weeks i tackled learning some of the nuance of hockey for the sake of the Blackhawk successes. Not sure if I have the energy (or interest) to dive in to soccer. (although it does look pretty not-complex...)

Cheers....!!

Tis known as 'the beautiful game' and is called football and the whole world loves it and comes together to try and be the best. Your own country did quite well last time. I think you reached the fourth round. That is why at the beginning I did not give so much real credence to the 'underdog'. The days when we have a bit of a laugh at the US attempts at football, certainly as far as the World Cup is concerned, are over.

We are just waiting for you all to come and join the celebrations!

Last edited:
I dont care if the England goalie kicked the ball in himself, its every American's patriotic duty to talk about an American Victory, not an English mistake. So instead of saying the goalie messed up, say we kicked the ball to hard for him to handle. Or say that no team can play perfectly so just credit England's goal to a gap in our defense, not their own skill.

alexa said:
We are just waiting for you all to come and join the celebrations!

No thanks. Soccer is only important to countries where 7 cents an hour is a "liveable wage" and AIDS is considered a pandemic.

No thanks. Soccer is only important to countries where 7 cents an hour is a "liveable wage" and AIDS is considered a pandemic.

You mean like England?

Countries that have won the world cup:

Italy, Brazil, France, Germany, Argentina, England, Uruguay.

As far as I'm aware England or maybe somewhere in the UK invented football. That is why you will hear English fans sing 'Football's coming home, it's coming home' when they have just won or in anticipation of winning.

The USA didn't get football, it got Rugby also from England and that is what has become American Football.

When Did Football Start

-- Also, Germany is generally not considered as strong as they were in either 2002 or 2006 --

The Germans have an enviable record in competitions - they have reached finals even with a bad team. I tstill think they sent their worst ever team to the Korea / Japan World cup in 2002 and look how far that team got..

If the U.S. can score more goals (at least a better differential) than England in the next two games (assuming wins of course), then the US would get a much easier opponent....

And hopefully, those annoying vuvuzelas will be banned by the.... I still have a buzzing sound in my head...

The Germans have an enviable record in competitions - they have reached finals even with a bad team. I tstill think they sent their worst ever team to the Korea / Japan World cup in 2002 and look how far that team got..

With a little help from an uncalled handball on the goal line in the quarterfinal against the United States...

Back
Top Bottom