• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Edward Snowden gives countries a chance to thumb nose at US

Arm-twisting tactics don't work here.

The fact that you consider a simple question to be arm twisting speaks volumes. You don't even know what a peremptory norm is, do you? You are completely unqualified to talk about human rights.

The fact that you consider a simple question to be arm twisting speaks volumes. You don't even know what a peremptory norm is, do you? You are completely unqualified to talk about human rights.

OK fine. if I am unqualified.

OK fine. if I am unqualified.

Ok, so why are you saying anything about human rights violations. It cheapens real human rights violations.

Just wait for my next human rights thread.

You have no business posting threads about human rights until you educate yourself about the basics.

Why do I feel like you are going to persist in debasing genuine human rights issues?

Thank God it's no longer hazy in Singapore. The weather is pretty good today.

How is the information you put on the internet "private"?

It isn't. But text messages, phone calls and emails are.

In a super max security prisons the prisoner is confined to a private cell for 23 hours a day.
And yes if the prisoner is on sucide watch they do not have clothing, or bed liners either.
Just goggle super max security prisons and you will see that is the norm for any max security prisoner on sucide watch.
Keeping a super max secerity prisoner in a cell 23 a day without bed linens is not a violation of human rights.

It's completely inhumane. All of this was also being done to someone that had NO TRIAL WHATSOEVER.

In regular prisons the prisoners are convicted. Manning is innocent until proven guilty, and so they put an innocent man in there.

Besides, the point I was trying to make was that mak2 is full of **** saying that he'd turn himself in to go through that.

It's completely inhumane. All of this was also being done to someone that had NO TRIAL WHATSOEVER.

In regular prisons the prisoners are convicted. Manning is innocent until proven guilty, and so they put an innocent man in there.

Besides, the point I was trying to make was that mak2 is full of **** saying that he'd turn himself in to go through that.

I do not know enough about the Manning case to say if he is innocent or not but
a super max prision is not a regular prision.

What Is A Federal Supermax Prison?

Approximately 25,000 inmates in the United States spend their days in the most extreme state of non-freedom known to the West. A Federal Supermax Prison, short for super-maximum security, is a prison, or section of a prison, that is reserved for only the most dangerous criminals. It is a highly guarded containment facility in which each prisoner is kept in a single, tiny steel unit and only taken out for a solitary hour of exercise each day. That’s 23 hours of solitary confinement every day for a minimum of 25 years. They eat their meals alone, pushed through a slot in the door, they exercise alone and they are allowed absolutely no contact with the outside world.

The infographic below gives a detailed visual of the “home” of these prisoners, along with many grim facts about the reality of prison life. As you can see, the cell does not look inviting and it does not look comfortable. Freedom may only exist in memories and fantasies for these men, but could they tell you what it means in their dreams? Absolutely.

How Did They Get There?

Such highly contained and segregated prison units are determined fit only for the “worst of the worst.” Inmates kept in these extremely isolated, cold and lonely cells are deemed high-risk prisoners who pose a threat to national or international security.
They are generally not white collar thieves, robbers or drug dealers; these are dangerous mass murderers who would kill again given the chance. Thus, they are not allowed any contact with other people. By contrast, medium- and low-risk prison facilities may still separate prisoners from each other, but not to the extreme degree of those souls in permanent solitary confinement.
read more:
Anatomy of a SuperMax Prison

I do not know enough about the Manning case to say if he is innocent or not but
a super max prision is not a regular prision.

read more:
Anatomy of a SuperMax Prison

You seem to have missed the point. Up until now, NOBODY knows if he is innocent or not, because he was locked away without a trial for YEARS.

Ever heard of a little thing called habeas corpus? How would you like it if you were locked in a cage, naked, for years, without trial, while the government tries to make an example of you?

Manning was arrested on May 27, 2010 and charged on July 5, 2010. Habeus corpus was not at issue. He was, of course, detained until his trial started as people awaiting trial often are. During his detention his own words and actions got him into trouble by causing officials to think he might kill himself. He was put on a suicide watch and was stripped of anything that he could use to kill himself. Having made things miserable for himself he doubled down -- after he'd been stripped of everything except his underwear and a pair of slippers in an attempt to prevent his suicide he claimed that he could kill himself with those items and so he lost them, too. All he had at that point was a blanket that could not be cut into strips. Of course, when outsiders came in and saw him in this state they were outraged by the inhumanity of it, but it was done in response to Manning's behavior and the fear that he'd suicide. In retrospect he was probably just doing what sociopaths do -- trying to gain control and jerk people around using whatever leverage they have.

1)Manning was arrested on May 27, 2010 and charged on July 5, 2010. Habeus corpus was not at issue. He was, of course, detained until his trial started as people awaiting trial often are. 2) During his detention his own words and actions got him into trouble by causing officials to think he might kill himself. He was put on a suicide watch and was stripped of anything that he could use to kill himself. Having made things miserable for himself he doubled down -- after he'd been stripped of everything except his underwear and a pair of slippers in an attempt to prevent his suicide he claimed that he could kill himself with those items and so he lost them, too. All he had at that point was a blanket that could not be cut into strips. Of course, when outsiders came in and saw him in this state they were outraged by the inhumanity of it, but it was done in response to Manning's behavior and the fear that he'd suicide. In retrospect he was probably just doing what sociopaths do -- trying to gain control and jerk people around using whatever leverage they have.

1) He was then held without trial for 3 years. Would you be cool with the government delaying your trial 3 years, while you sit naked in solitary confinement? I doubt it.

2) Yes, because there are no suicide proof clothes or pillows on planet earth. And what reason would there be for keeping him in solitary 23 hours a day?

Manning embarassed the government and many politicians. These politicians decided to make an example of him, and that they did. Personally I don't like the idea of a government delaying trials for years and practically torturing citizens. You're sounding like a big government type. Guess I had you pegged wrong.

It is if the government doesn't intercept it.

Tell that to Sarah Palin

Email accts are hacked into regularly. Anyone who expects that their emails will remain private are not paying attention

1) He was then held without trial for 3 years. Would you be cool with the government delaying your trial 3 years, while you sit naked in solitary confinement? I doubt it.

2) Yes, because there are no suicide proof clothes or pillows on planet earth. And what reason would there be for keeping him in solitary 23 hours a day?

Manning embarassed the government and many politicians. These politicians decided to make an example of him, and that they did. Personally I don't like the idea of a government delaying trials for years and practically torturing citizens. You're sounding like a big government type. Guess I had you pegged wrong.

As to the length of his detention, a judge recently ruled that it was proper given a number of factors such as secrecy and the complexity of the case.

I'm familiar with Manning's type, so I'm not inclined to jump on his bandwagon regardless of how appealing the narrative might be. Mark my words, he's going to disappoint his supporters.

Recall that he has already pled guilty on a number of counts. It's not like he'd be out of jail by now.

Heh...how cute. Look at yourself. The left wing party that loved and embraced Brad Manning because they hated George Bush now call Snowden a 'rat' because his actions reflect poorly on Obama.

Funny how that works, isnt it...

eerrr. .... where is Bradly Manning now?

Have fun with your Human-Rights-Hero .....VLADIMIR PUTIN!!

Still don't get it, do you?

You ...you're the one who don't get it? Despite all these ...so called scandals.....if you held another Presidential election today.....Obama would again..handily win!!
Know why....because destroying the country ...is never a good plan...and thats the right wing plan today.

Real Americans see you people ....now embracing the Russians ...as that guy who had all the breaks in life and squandered his opportunities. And when he has no where left to run ....he lash out.....he gets a gun and start shooting people. Thats who the right is today ...as you embrace Putin...and the Chinese ...and maybe even the Iranians next!!
Nothing you do surprise people anymore ....angry bitter individuals ...rarely see clearly!!

You ...you're the one who don't get it? Despite all these ...so called scandals.....if you held another Presidential election today.....Obama would again..handily win!!
Know why....because destroying the country ...is never a good plan...and thats the right wing plan today.

Real Americans see you people ....now embracing the Russians ...as that guy who had all the breaks in life and squandered his opportunities. And when he has no where left to run ....he lash out.....he gets a gun and start shooting people. Thats who the right is today ...as you embrace Putin...and the Chinese ...and maybe even the Iranians next!!
Nothing you do surprise people anymore ....angry bitter individuals ...rarely see clearly!!

C'mon. Tell us what you really think.

C'mon. Tell us what you really think.

LOL....I remember when a few months ago when you people were sssooo sure Romney would win...remember?

No...you obviously still dont get it. The same people lining up to hail Manning as a hero today call Snowden a scumbag. Same concept, but since the actions of the two impact different presidents, radically different responses. For the record...my position on both of them is consistent and it has nothing to do with who they made look bad and everything to do with what they did.

Oh...I know all too well there are mindless partisan ****heads that would blindly again vote for Obama just as there are mindless conservatives that would blindly vote for their 'guy'. The difference between you and me? You celebrate that...you think it is a GOOD thing. I think those people are the ones responsible for the ****hole the country is in today.

Back
Top Bottom