• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you think there's something fishy going on with Fox News' super high ratings?

From everything I read on the ratings over the last several years, the rankings are usually Fox, followed by CNN followed by MSNBC. Fox had for the most part double the viewers for several years now. If MSNBC moved up to number 2, they should be very happy. Perhaps the Monday night this Phil character is talking was the aberration and not the rest of the week. Several years of history would seem to point that way.

But my only knowledge of this stuff is what I read in the papers or hear on TV, I don't watch Fox, MSNBC or CNN at night. If I am watching TV it is usually the history channel, discovery and if River Monsters is on, Animal Planet.

Griffin might think so, (or hope so) since nobody is bragging about Chris Matthews' ratings. It's always suspect to the left when the right sparks a win.

The "right" is convinced that the "left" only wins elections via fraud, so you might want to think about laying off the speck in your neighbor's eye there, big guy.

The "right" is convinced that the "left" only wins elections via fraud, so you might want to think about laying off the speck in your neighbor's eye there, big guy.

Not convinced of that at all. But feel free to accuse if it makes you happy. It is a free country.

Fox and MSNBC are both empty calories, partisan hack networks that exist solely for the purpose of self-affirmation.

Exactly. Junk food for your mind. They are to journalism as WWE pro wrestling is to athletics.

I'm still waiting for those examples I asked for on post #50.

You can disagree all you want, but it's true.

Now I'm sure you wouldn't just be making a partisan judgement, so how about you post some examples of Fox's hard news programming that backs up your strong disagreement with my statement?

He can't. It's not there. Their news programming is straightforward and they typically bring in guests with opposing views to discuss controversial issues. It seems that many people can't distinguish between newscasting and opinion / entertainment programming.

hat hat hat hat

hat hat hat hat

hat hat hat hat

hat hat hat hat

hat hat hat hat

hat hat hat hat

hat hat hat hat

hat hat hat hat

hat hat hat hat

hat hat hat hat

hat hat hat hat

hat hat hat hat

hat hat hat hat

hat hat hat hat

one good good good one​

This is what I first saw when I saw your message.

It's actually quite simple. (I know, these numbers won't hold up. They're suppositions, based on logic.)

Suppose that there are 300 million people in this country. Suppose that the liberal-conservative divide is exactly right down the middle, 150 million on each side.

Now suppose that the 150 million liberals all watch a "liberal" news network. For the sake of the argument, let us presume that CNN (hardly) and MSNBC (considerably more so but not wholly, see Scarborough Country and Andrea Mitchell Reports) are "liberal news networks."

Let us also suppose that the 150 million conservatives all watch a "conservative" news network. But the only one that seems to be out there, actively pursuing conservative viewers, is Fox News Channel.

It stands to reason that, with the liberals split between two, and the conservative united under one, of course, Fox would have more people watching them. In this hypothetical case:

Fox viewers: 150 million
CNN viewers: 75 million
MSNBC viewers: 75 million

Fox gets the most viewers for the same reason Notre Dame doesn't join a conference: They'd have to split the bowl revenue with the rest of the Big 10 (or whatever league they would join).

It's not complicated.

He can't. It's not there. Their news programming is straightforward and they typically bring in guests with opposing views to discuss controversial issues. It seems that many people can't distinguish between newscasting and opinion / entertainment programming.

I don't think that they can't distinguish the difference between the 2, I think it's more of a political choice not too do so. They won't acknowledge the difference because their goal is, just as it always has been, to silence Fox News just like they try an silence all their political critics.

It's actually quite simple. (I know, these numbers won't hold up. They're suppositions, based on logic.)

Suppose that there are 300 million people in this country. Suppose that the liberal-conservative divide is exactly right down the middle, 150 million on each side.

Now suppose that the 150 million liberals all watch a "liberal" news network. For the sake of the argument, let us presume that CNN (hardly) and MSNBC (considerably more so but not wholly, see Scarborough Country and Andrea Mitchell Reports) are "liberal news networks."

Let us also suppose that the 150 million conservatives all watch a "conservative" news network. But the only one that seems to be out there, actively pursuing conservative viewers, is Fox News Channel.

It stands to reason that, with the liberals split between two, and the conservative united under one, of course, Fox would have more people watching them. In this hypothetical case:

Fox viewers: 150 million
CNN viewers: 75 million
MSNBC viewers: 75 million

Fox gets the most viewers for the same reason Notre Dame doesn't join a conference: They'd have to split the bowl revenue with the rest of the Big 10 (or whatever league they would join).

It's not complicated.

This is basically what I said in post #7, but with math.

One thing though... Andrea Mitchell??? I wouldn't use her as an example of non-liberal reporting, IMHO.

I agree with you mentioning Scarborough though, although he's the only one on that show that isn't a card carrying dyed in the wool liberal, which gives his show a 1:5 ratio of conservative to liberal.

I agree. Just to add a little food for thought, I would be a bit on guard when an information entity, with a known progressive agenda, starts to complain about other providers of information. What are they trying to accomplish with the complaint?

Maybe their trying to push this again: Fairness Doctrine

Griffin might think so, (or hope so) since nobody is bragging about Chris Matthews' ratings. It's always suspect to the left when the right sparks a win.

He's the President of MSNBC....of course he's going to complain about ratings that doesn't make him look good.

The real world including most Liberals don't care.

Maybe their trying to push this again: Fairness Doctrine

The Fairness Doctrine never applied to cable, so that's a moot point. The FD is deader than disco, everybody knows that, and the infinitesimal number of people clamoring for it to come back likely don't know what it was in the first place.

The Fairness Doctrine never applied to cable, so that's a moot point. The FD is deader than disco, everybody knows that, and the infinitesimal number of people clamoring for it to come back likely don't know what it was in the first place.

I agree. My point made was sarcastic in nature.

Trying to decide between which is better faux news or MSNBC I find it like trying to decide between cat vomit and dog vomit on which tastes better.

You would appear more genuine, if you didn't alter "faux news", without altering MSNBC.

i can see the reasoning that Fox is alone on the right extreme, and therefore does not have to share their viewers with other networks, as it is the case with MSNBC and CNN. Demographics show FoxNews scoring majorly in the higher age range, and of course overwhelmingly with Republicans.
Also interesting, PPP poll from February showed Fox News being the most AND least trusted news source overall at the same time.. which makes sense, once i thought it through. for every Republican asked who casts his "most trusted" vote for Fox news, there's a Democrat / liberal who casts that same vote for "least trusted"... with a few points give or take here and there.

Back
Top Bottom