• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you think polls are and effective way to tell what Americans believe?

Do you think that polls are and effective way to tell what Americans believe?

• Yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Navy Pride said:
I will say this one more time........Prior to the elections (I am not saying the day before)

actually...yes....you were

"Nothing proved how inaccurate polling is more then when the exit polls in the 2004 presidential elections had Kerry winning in a landslide........."

tecoyah said:
actually...yes....you were

"Nothing proved how inaccurate polling is more then when the exit polls in the 2004 presidential elections had Kerry winning in a landslide........."

How many times do I have to post this about the exit polls?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...-pundits_x.htm

Predictions burn pollsters, pundits — again
By Mark Memmott, USA TODAY
The polling industry is on the defensive for its surveys of voters on Election Day, which some TV pundits relied on Tuesday to overstate support for Sen. John Kerry.

Navy Pride said:

The polling industry is on the defensive for its surveys of voters on Election Day, which some TV pundits relied on Tuesday to overstate support for Sen. John Kerry.

Your link didn't work. And the exit polls were off by like, 2%. And that's within the margin of error. I've already said that.

Tell me Navy pride.. would you be so against polls if they weren't showing your president with such low ratings?

Kelzie said:
Your link didn't work. And the exit polls were off by like,
2%. And that's within the margin of error. I've already said that.

Here is the whole article.......It disagrees with your assesment:

Posted 11/3/2004 11:26 PM

And the USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll is catching flak for pre-election surveys in battleground states that turned out to be off the mark.

Polling errors are important, critics say, because they create false impressions about who's ahead or who's behind in a campaign, and that may affect voters' thinking.

Pollsters defend their work, say that their findings are often misunderstood, and question whether many voters were affected by any mistakes.

Both sides agree that, despite heavy investments in money and technology, there's more criticism than ever being aimed at pollsters.

"Let's be honest: They spent four years and a lot of money and were just as bad with their 'exit polls' (of voters Tuesday) as they were in 2000," says Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia Center for Politics. "It's disgraceful how bad the information was."

The controversies involve:

• Exit polls. Since 1990, television networks and the Associated Press — known as "the consortium" — have worked together to count votes on election days and to survey voters. Those surveys, known as "exit polls" because they're conducted as voters leave polling places, are designed to give early clues about how candidates are faring and about which issues are driving voters' decisions.

Only the five TV networks (ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox News and NBC), the AP and other news organizations that pay for the information are supposed to have access to the data. (USA TODAY is among the media organizations that pay for some of the information.)

In 2000, problems with exit polls in Florida contributed to a humiliating Election Night for networks. They awarded the state to Al Gore, then took it away, then called the state and election for George W. Bush, then took that back.

In 2002, the exit-poll computer system crashed during the mid-term elections, leading the consortium to disband the operation and start over. This year, a beefed-up computer system and the expertise of two new polling firms, Edison Media Research and Mitofsky International, were supposed to produce a smoothly run operation.

Tuesday's problems were partly out of the control of the National Election Pool, as the consortium is formally known. As NEP began releasing "early waves" of its data, for instance, much of the information was leaked to Internet commentators known as "bloggers." By early afternoon, the material was posted on Web sites such as Slate and the Drudge Report.

Soon after that, commentators on Fox News, CNN and MSNBC were dropping hints that Kerry was doing well. It was clear they were relying on the exit polls for support.

While the information colored TV reports, newspaper editors say it didn't influence their coverage of the election.

"We had prepared for most scenarios," says Sandra Mims Rowe, editor at The Oregonian in Portland. "The early exit polls may have colored our expectations a bit, but they didn't change our plans."

"We looked at everything through the prism of what happened here in Florida in 2000," says Tom Fiedler, executive editor at The Miami Herald. "We just couldn't let exit polls push us after something like that."

Bill Wheatley, a vice president at NBC as well as a spokesman for the consortium, says the NEP has always said early waves of information "are, at best, incomplete pictures" of what might be happening on any Election Day.

The data are not meant to be reported and are meant only to help media users plan their coverage, Wheatley says. The results are not fully adjusted, for instance, to reflect the overall makeup of the day's voting population. That's only done much later as voting results start to be reported.

Jack Shafer, the Slate columnist who posted the early exit poll information, agrees with Wheatley that the data is rough. "I try to put lots of 'don't drive drunk' warnings with it," he says. But he posts the material, he says, because his readers should have access to the same information as TV pundits.

Sabato cuts the consortium no slack. He says, for example, that the early waves included far too many female voters to be reliable indicators of anything. "Anyone hearing about it was getting false information about what was happening," he says. The early exit polls also may have included too many rabid Kerry supporters, who might have been more motivated to get to polling places early than Bush supporters were.

Wheatley says the consortium stands by its work. "In the end, we got it about right," he says. What the NEP may do, he says, is further restrict the number of people who get access to the early data in an effort to keep it from leaking.

POLLPOURRI

President Bush defeated Sen. John Kerry 51%-48% in the national popular vote. Of 10 major polls of "likely voters" taken in the week before the election, seven showed Bush leading:

Poll Bush Kerry
Marist 49% 50%
Harris 49% 48%
FOX News 46% 48%
Reuters/Zogby 48% 47%
USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup 49% 49%
NBC/Wall Street Journal 48% 47%
ABC/Washington Post 49% 48%
CBS/New York Times 49% 46%
Pew Research 51% 48%
Newsweek 50% 44%

Source: RealClearPolitics.com

• Pre-election polls. For much of the year, Kerry supporters criticized the USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll for allegedly including too many Republicans in its sample and for excluding too many young people, who might support Kerry, from its pool of likely voters. Critics said those factors were why the poll showed Bush leading for most of the time since August.

The final USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll before the election, though, slightly understated Bush's strength. The poll, conducted last weekend, showed the candidates dead even. As of Wednesday, it appeared Bush had won the popular vote by 3 percentage points.

Two polls were on the mark. Both the CBS/New York Times and Pew Research surveys last weekend showed a 3-point Bush lead.

More at odds with the results were the USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll's final surveys of key states:

• Kerry was said to be leading in Florida by 3 percentage points. He lost there by 5 points.

• Bush was said to be leading in Pennsylvania by 4 percentage points. He lost by 2.

• Kerry was said to be leading Ohio by 4 points. He lost by 2.

Frank Newport, editor in chief of the Gallup Poll, says "battleground states are the most difficult challenge that pollsters face" because voters there are bombarded by campaign ads and other efforts that push and pull their allegiances. But, he says, "we would like to be just as accurate with the battleground polls as we are with the national poll. We will carefully analyze and look at what happened."

Newport says the polling firm will also examine its controversial decision to allocate most of the undecided vote to Kerry.

Jim Norman, USA TODAY's polling editor, says the newspaper "is disappointed and wants to learn" why the polls were so far off. He expects to join Gallup in meetings to review the polls' methodology.

So the biggest difference in pre-election polls was 8%? Big deal? And it was in Florida. Nuff said.

Kelzie said:
So the biggest difference in pre-election polls was 8%? Big deal? And it was in Florida. Nuff said.

What was funny was watching all the tinfoil troopers whine about Ohio. A week before the election I ran into the Hamilton county GOP boss (we belong to the same club)-Hamilton County is the most GOP of the major urban counties in Ohio and tends to be the area where GOP candidates raise the most cash in Ohio. He told me not to worry-their internal polls had bush winning by 110-150 thousand votes.

Early in the evening I knew Bush had it because even though Kerry was ahead, the SW part of ohio hadn't come in yet and in my county (warren) and nearby Clermont and Butler (which is where most of the gop who left Cincinnati fled to) were going to be crushing defeats of kerry

THose three counties plus hamilton gave Bush that 140K or so margin

Navy Pride said:

Rather than post the same article over and over again (which incidentally, doesn't support your argument), perhaps you can address some of the points that others have made:

None of the polls in the days before the election (including the ones in the article you cited) were wildly inaccurate. The final margin nationwide was +3% for Bush. If you averaged all of the statewide polls taken just prior to the election, you could have correctly predicted every single state except Ohio.

The article you cited questions the methodology of one single poll (which wasn't even that inaccurate). It doesn't claim that all polling is inaccurate, or that this particular poll used the same methodology as all others.

Yes/No polls are inherently flawed unless they are set up in the way they are here by allowing people to further supplement their yes or no answers with actual answers:

If you've ever taken an empirical political analysis course then you would know that the yes no answers leave no room for a middle ground for ex:

Are you against abortion yes or no?

answer no

answer yes

but the true answer would be more along these lines:

yes I am against abortion, however, if the mothers life is in danger from giving birth I would support her right to save her own life by aborting the child.

Question do you support how Bush has conducted the war in Iraq YES OR NO?

no, I don't support the way Bush has handled the war planning, however, I feel that regardless of that the ousting of Saddam was a necessity and we have to make sure we give the Iraqis the best chance as possible for sustaining a Democratic form of government of, by, and for the people of Iraq.

or it can be a two tiered question like this: do you support the right to bear arms and the end to gun control laws yes or no?

but it only leaves room for one answer when at the same time you can be both for the right to bear arms and pro gun control laws.

See how the yes no in the poll is in itself inherently flawed?

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Yes/No polls are inherently flawed unless they are set up in the way they are here by allowing people to further supplement their yes or no answers with actual answers:

If you've ever taken an empirical political analysis course then you would know that the yes no answers leave no room for a middle ground for ex:

answer no

answer yes

yes I am against abortion, however, if the mothers life is in danger from giving birth I would support her right to save her own life by aborting the child.

no, I don't support the way Bush has handled the war planning, however, I feel that regardless of that the ousting of Saddam was a necessity and we have to make sure we give the Iraqis the best chance as possible for sustaining a Democratic form of government of, by, and for the people of Iraq.

or it can be a two tiered question like this: do you support the right to bear arms and the end to gun control laws yes or no?

but it only leaves room for one answer when at the same time you can be both for the right to bear arms and pro gun control laws.

Dude you are so not a libertarian. I demand you admit your republican allegiance now! :lol: :shock:

answer no

answer yes

You're right that yes/no polls leave little room for nuance, and this is perhaps one of their flaws. But you can still find meaningful information in them. If the "Do you approve of Bush's handling of Iraq" numbers are on the decline, even after asking the same question for many months, you can generally interpret this as declining support for the war. Similarly, the "Bush approval" numbers don't leave a lot of room for people who may support SOME things Bush does but not others, but if the overall numbers are on the decline that usually means declining approval.

This is why it's usually a good idea to have multiple companies polling the same issue. If the question is phrased slightly differently, it is easier to gauge the actual level of support versus support for a specific way the question is worded. Some issues - campaign finance reform, school vouchers, deficit spending, etc - will give very different support/oppose numbers depending on how the question is asked. Other issues - gay marriage, legalization of marijuana, death penalty, etc - are much less fluid, and tend to yield roughly the same results regardless of how you word the question.

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:
I voted no.

1. It depends where you poll, for example if you had a poll as to the Presidents approval rating and you polled in Seattle Wash. his approval rating would be about 10%.........If you had the same poll outside the gate at the Naval Submarine base bangor his approval rating would be about 80%
I've come to realize that you have no idea about science and polling. You just ignore the facts or can't comprehend them and instead you make up things to type in your posts!
Navy Pride said:
2. It is impossible to poll 1000 people when we have 300,000,000 people in this country and get and accurate approval rating.
We don't need to take a poll to prove that you're wrong again, now do we? Why not enlighten yourself and read this post from the Gallup Poll website that explains the science of polling:

http://media.gallup.com/PDF/FAQ/HowArePolls.pdf

It's amazing to me that anyone would write that a poll of X people cannot reflect accurately the true positions of the area polled.
Navy Pride said:
Nothing proved how inaccurate polling is more then when the exit polls in the 2004 presidential elections had Kerry winning in a landslide.........
This is totally untrue, it's a lie. You again have not provided any facts to support your false claims, you just twist your words to fit your point of view, the truth be damned.
:damn

I believe individual polls are irrelevant
however i do beleive the trends in polls over time can be good
provide one uses fair polls which do not have misleading questions
they should be precisely worded so their is no reading into them

The polls, I think ask the right questions but in the wrong way. Just keep it short and simple.

Save face infront of Mcarthur I'll be here or I'll be dead.

Omnipotent providence has taught us the utter futility of war, we have known the bitterness of defeat and the ex-haultation of triumph and from both we have learned that there can be no turning back, we must go forward to preserve in peace what we have won in war. WAR! the most malignant scourge and greatest sin of mankind can no longer be controlled but only abolished we are in a new era, if we do not find a new and more equitable means of solving our disputes Armageddon will be at our door . . . we have had our last chance - General MacArthur.

only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

If the question is clear and one for which the allowed responses can demonstrate the actual opinions, then polls are accurate. If there are more opinions than can be demonstrated by the answers allowed ( as in things like abortion or presidential approval ) then accuracy may be questionable but trends are very useful. If the question is poorly stated or phrased in a way which makes understanding it difficult ( see the last referendum on the soveriegnty of Quebec) then the numbers can mean pretty much whatever the pollsters want them to.

The far worse problem in polling is push polling, not inaccuracy.

Do you think polls are and effective way to tell what Americans believe?

I think polls are only effective in telling what the thousand or so people who took the polls think.I find it hard to beleave that every conservative reguardless of financial,social and cultural back ground actualy agrees a hundred percent.Because if that was the case then the same could be said about liberal and there would no such thing as offensive generalizations.I do not give a **** about the error of margin or any other crap like that or how scientic it allegegly it is.These people who conduct polls ar only basig the data on the people who took the polls,not the people who did not participate in the polls.

jamesrage said:
I think polls are only effective in telling what the thousand or so people who took the polls think.I find it hard to beleave that every conservative reguardless of financial,social and cultural back ground actualy agrees a hundred percent.Because if that was the case then the same could be said about liberal and there would no such thing as offensive generalizations.I do not give a **** about the error of margin or any other crap like that or how scientic it allegegly it is.These people who conduct polls ar only basig the data on the people who took the polls,not the people who did not participate in the polls.

And yet when the polls are put to the test, like on election day, we find that they are remarkably accurate. How do you account for this, if it truely only represents 1,000 people's opinions?

Kelzie said:
And yet when the polls are put to the test, like on election day, we find that they are remarkably accurate. How do you account for this, if it truely only represents 1,000 people's opinions?

what are you talking about? The exit polls were bull **** last election.

what are you talking about? The exit polls were bull **** last election.

The exit polls were off by 2-3%. Exactly what is your qualification for "bullshit"?

well when the polls say that someones going to win the election and they don't I would consider those polls to be bullshit.

He won with a very small percentage which was well within the polls margin of error. Don't blame the poll cause you don't understand it, my republican friend.

Kelzie said:
He won with a very small percentage which was well within the polls margin of error. Don't blame the poll cause you don't understand it, my republican friend.

lol then what good are they then if it's in their margin of error to be completely wrong? You're trying to over complicate a very simple equation which is if the poll is wrong then it is bullshit.

And I'm not a Republican you commie.

lol then what good are they then if it's in their margin of error to be completely wrong? You're trying to over complicate a very simple equation which is if the poll is wrong then it is bullshit.

And I'm not a Republican you commie.

They weren't wrong. They were off by 2%. That's hardly wrong.

You're a social conservative. You're a republican.

Back
Top Bottom