• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do You Think Chauvinism is One of Societies Worst Problems?

Arcadius

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Think about it. People have this way about them, their beliefs are the only true beliefs, and anyone else's beliefs are inferior, whatever they're a part of is always the greatest. As an example, look at all the known wars in history, you can name every little detail about their causes, but most of them just boil down to my dick is bigger than yours. I'd also like to mention racism, sexism, and homophobia are usually caused by Chauvinism (I assume the majority of you believe that these are negative). I'd also like you to look at yourselves. I'm sure most of you will find you either are a chauvinist, or are pretty close to one.

Last edited:
I'm not a chauvinist in any way sort or form, but I see your point. Glory of the military blinds people much of the time, like Iraq. No one really cares about cause. They just want war.

Think about it. People have this way about them, their beliefs are the only true beliefs, and anyone else's beliefs are inferior, whatever they're a part of is always the greatest. As an example, look at all the known wars in history, you can name every little detail about their causes, but most of them just boil down to my dick is bigger than yours. I'd also like to mention racism, sexism, and homophobia are usually caused by Chauvinism (I assume the majority of you believe that these are negative). I'd also like you to look at yourselves. I'm sure most of you will find you either are a chauvinist, or are pretty close to one.

No, no and no, to all the above.

Yeah. If we don't think our system of beliefs is the best, we would not have that system of belief, we would change it to something else.

But you must also take stock of fear: I'm sure there were people in Germany who started to get spooked when more and more of what the Nazis were doing came to light but didn't do anything because of fear.

Same with sexism racism. Sometimes people might feel that something's wrong but they daren't speak up for fear of being different or hurt.

I think people in our modern society are more enlightened in the sense that we are more considerate of different views (we face them all the time given the modern media whether we want to or not) and more willing to change to our opinions.

I was reading a book recently on Hindu philosophy and one section talks about how the biggest obstacle between people and God is the illusion of separation. People create barriers between themselves and all things instead of seeing all things as part of God, and one. Chauvinism is just a more modern way of saying that people are divided based on illusory things. Things you think are separate and different are actually one in of the same.

How is racism, sexism and homophobia related to Chauvanism at all?

Racism - issues with race.
sexism - issues with gender
homophobia - issues with sexuality

Chauvanism - issues with military might, power, success, zeal - whatever.

You can have 1 or none of these present - you can be chauvanistic and not be the other 3. You can be 1 or all of the 3 and not be chauvanistic - and so on, so forth.

You could look at it this way: the love of warfare and military success can lead to people *ending* their racist, sexist and even homophobic views. . . because the desire to succeed on the battlefield is more important than avoiding gays (and so on).

Last edited:
Think about it. People have this way about them, their beliefs are the only true beliefs, and anyone else's beliefs are inferior, whatever they're a part of is always the greatest.
I disagree. That is a primitive/fundamentalist mindset. Many people today, who have at least bothered to educate themselves to a minor degree in philosophy/religion, understand that claims to absolute truths are absurd. Beliefs, theories, and ideas are always tentative but that does not mean they are unjustified or weak.

As an example, look at all the known wars in history, you can name every little detail about their causes, but most of them just boil down to my dick is bigger than yours.
This is just pure ignorance. The reasons for many wars can be explained quite thoroughly and in detail. And the reason are vast. Not a simple "pissing contest" as you would have it.

I'd also like you to look at yourselves. I'm sure most of you will find you either are a chauvinist, or are pretty close to one.
Are you projecting?

How is racism, sexism and homophobia related to Chauvanism at all?

Racism - issues with race.
sexism - issues with gender
homophobia - issues with sexuality

Chauvanism - issues with military might, power, success, zeal - whatever.

You can have 1 or none of these present - you can be chauvanistic and not be the other 3. You can be 1 or all of the 3 and not be chauvanistic - and so on, so forth.

You could look at it this way: the love of warfare and military success can lead to people *ending* their racist, sexist and even homophobic views. . . because the desire to succeed on the battlefield is more important than avoiding gays (and so on).

chau·vin·ism (shv-nzm)
n.
1. Militant devotion to and glorification of one's country; fanatical patriotism.
2. Prejudiced belief in the superiority of one's own gender, group, or kind: "the chauvinism . . . of making extraterrestrial life in our own image" (Henry S.F. Cooper, Jr.)

I have to aplogize. I'm kind of on a not serious day. Right now I'm writing a Conspiracy theory parody about Deadpool being a supernatural being who has influenced the history of the human race. I think I voiced this in a rather simplistic way. And I think I need to rewrite it.

I disagree. That is a primitive/fundamentalist mindset. Many people today, who have at least bothered to educate themselves to a minor degree in philosophy/religion, understand that claims to absolute truths are absurd. Beliefs, theories, and ideas are always tentative but that does not mean they are unjustified or weak.

This is just pure ignorance. The reasons for many wars can be explained quite thoroughly and in detail. And the reason are vast. Not a simple "pissing contest" as you would have it.

Are you projecting?

You speak like everyone is an educated rational human being.

I know I'm going for a certain argument here. But I don't feel it's fully developed. I'm also not sure Chauvinism is the right word. I don't think I thought this out enough when I posted it. I had this whole elaborate thing typed up, in fact I just deleted it, there was all this text, but I just didn't feel it was the right message I was going for. I apologize, but I need to think this topic out more. And about the first post, I tend to have sudden bursts of being an insensitive, blunt, asshole. I think it stems from my love of George Carlin.

I know I'm going for a certain argument here. But I don't feel it's fully developed. I'm also not sure Chauvinism is the right word. I don't think I thought this out enough when I posted it. I had this whole elaborate thing typed up, in fact I just deleted it, there was all this text, but I just didn't feel it was the right message I was going for. I apologize, but I need to think this topic out more. And about the first post, I tend to have sudden bursts of being an insensitive, blunt, asshole. I think it stems from my love of George Carlin.

Chauvinism is commonly associated with sexism. I think you're looking for a different, more general term.

The biggest problem in American society is......wait for it.....laziness. The characteristics of "chauvinism" listed in the OP are not really chauvinism. They are more stubbornness than chauvinism. But, stubbornness can be a good thing if you are right.

The biggest problem in American society is......wait for it.....laziness. The characteristics of "chauvinism" listed in the OP are not really chauvinism. They are more stubbornness than chauvinism. But, stubbornness can be a good thing if you are right.

I've been to quite a few countries and Americans are no more or less lazy in general than the rest.

Chauvinism is commonly associated with sexism. I think you're looking for a different, more general term.

yes, that's "Male Chauvanism" - huge difference.

But is "male chauvanism" a root problem with these issues in the OP? Once again - no - well, a yes to sexism because that is male-chauvanism if a man is sexist but that's not the only form that sexism comes in.
(Trust me - a lot of women are mysandrists so sexism isn't just male to female - it happens as female to male very often . . . in fact, in my life experience - I say that's more common because there is no rule of "don't treat men like that" or "don't talk to men like that" and so on. In a 'female-chauvaism' sense my sister is one - and she's horrid. I use to think my husband was a little sexist until my sister moved down here and showed me how a sexist person REALLY behaves.)

Last edited:
I've been to quite a few countries and Americans are no more or less lazy in general than the rest.

Probably not, but that doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

Back
Top Bottom