• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do male-to-female transgender athletes have an unfair advantage in some women's sports?

Do male-to-female transgender athletes have an unfair advantage in some women's sports?

• Total voters
Define those advantages?

I mean, for the sake of argument...is it an advantage to be stronger? Well, there are plenty of instances of some women being dramatically stronger than others...Venus and Serina Williams comes to mind. Height? Well, if we're going to regulate height advantages, will we apply that same conformity to ALL gender segregated sports?

Male puberty = larger hearts and higher capacity for oxygen transport and carbohydrate processing, as well as different skeletal and muscular composition. All of these characteristics provide males with superior strength, speed, power, and endurance.

Define those advantages?

I mean, for the sake of argument...is it an advantage to be stronger? Well, there are plenty of instances of some women being dramatically stronger than others...Venus and Serina Williams comes to mind. Height? Well, if we're going to regulate height advantages, will we apply that same conformity to ALL gender segregated sports?
Highest recorded vo2 max for a woman: 77 ml/kg/min
Highest recorded vo2 max for a man: 96 ml/kg/min

Then why separate by gender at all? Let everyone compete together......which would end women's sports
That is the goal for way too many people. The right wing has hated Title IX from the beginning. The shocker is that the "other side" is participating in its demise.

This has also brought out the ugliness of "men's rights activists" who are salivating at what they believe is revenge. They are still seething about women having a vote.

Define those advantages?

In this particular instance, a picture should suffice.

1648040668344.jpeg

Time between 1st and second was reported to be 1.75 seconds

Male puberty = larger hearts and higher capacity for oxygen transport and carbohydrate processing, as well as different skeletal and muscular composition. All of these characteristics provide males with superior strength, speed, power, and endurance.
I'm not arguing that.

I'm saying, where does the conformity constraints end in the name of fairness?

Highest recorded vo2 max for a woman: 77 ml/kg/min
Highest recorded vo2 max for a man: 96 ml/kg/min
Not an argument I'm making. I'm asking, to what degree do we require conformity?

In this case, we are limiting it to sex.
Gonna get yourself in trouble, there. See, according to most democrats, trans women ARE women. So, claiming we regulate by sex...would open up a big old can of worms.

At gender by birth....as they currently do
Obviously we don't currently do that, else this discussion wouldn't be happening, as there would be no trans competing in women's sports.

Where is the option for "COULDN'T CARE LESS" in the Poll?

;)

Obviously we don't currently do that, else this discussion wouldn't be happening, as there would be no trans competing in women's sports.
Nor should there be

There are close to 2 million transgender Americans. There is just 1 of her.
Actually, Google images says there's tons of ladies like her.

At least enough so that I think my point stands.

3rd place there doesn't look too happy, lol.

View attachment 67381565
Both naturally born women.

Would it be fair for them to compete with each other in basketball?
I’m not seeing the relevance. We have a concrete example as opposed to a hypothetical..

I’m not seeing the relevance. We have a concrete example as opposed to a hypothetical..
You have a concrete example of the existence of biological advantages assigned at birth.

So do I.

What's the difference?

Thomas' recent success definitely highlights the potential problems here, and may in fact backfire against the push to allow transgender athletes the right to compete (at least, male to female athletes - there doesn't seem to be much concern about female to male athletes competing with biologically born men). It is hard to dispute the thought that Thomas having been born male holds physical advantages over the competition.

Time between 1st and second was reported to be 1.75 seconds
In swimming that is a stark gap between competitors. The equivalent of a 35-10 rout in football.

You have a concrete example of the existence of biological advantages assigned at birth.

So do I.

What's the difference?
I think post # 70 takes care of that?

Thomas' recent success definitely highlights the potential problems here, and may in fact backfire against the push to allow transgender athletes the right to compete (at least, male to female athletes - there doesn't seem to be much concern about female to male athletes competing with biologically born men). It is hard to dispute the thought that Thomas having been born male holds physical advantages over the competition.

In swimming that is a stark gap between competitors. The equivalent of a 35-10 rout in football.
Nowhere near Katy Ledecky’s time in the 500, better by more than 8 seconds.

I just think that if Lia Thomas can compete in women's sports, then we ought to just give Lance Armstrong his titles back, because what is the difference at that point?
He should have never lost them since everyone was juicing.

Back
Top Bottom