• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do male-to-female transgender athletes have an unfair advantage in some women's sports?

Do male-to-female transgender athletes have an unfair advantage in some women's sports?

• Total voters
My point is that a male-to-female transgender does not just have a potential genetic advantage honed by training, they have a potential genetic advantage that no cisgender woman on earth has in some sports, hence the unfairness.
In the many discussions here on the topic, my pendulum swings between, heck yeah trans women should be allowed to compete to heck no. I'm relieved I'm not making policy decisions about it. I'm sympathetic to the plight of both trans women and cis women who compete alongside them. If there is sufficient evidence that trans women have an unfair advantage due to their biological sex, then I'd be inclined to support some other way for them to be able to compete. As it stands now, I support whatever the sports governing bodies decide.

Only the sick and the insane perpetuate these sick idea!

The "REAL Women" should stand up to the Lefts insanity and just kick out all the screwed males by doing a
drug test!

Too bad for America that the Fascist left are so Misogynist towards "WOMEN"!!!....
But the DEM's are quite confused you know.

Attachments

• Dems_Confusd.JPG
    Dems_Confusd.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 21
Transgender people exist, they do not have a mental disorder, they are not an abomination and they should be afforded the same rights and protections against discrimination as anyone else. That is not what this question is about. This is a question about fairness in sports.

I am a man and have competed in various races, cycling events, duathlons and so on. A few years ago, my doctor put me on testosterone replacement. After a significant head injury, my levels dropped and stayed low. My doctor believes it is a pituitary issue resulting from the head injury. At any rate, I have been on testosterone cypionate ever since. Within weeks of starting injections, it was apparent to me that the testosterone was enhancing my performance. I could train harder, got stronger, got faster, recovered faster. As a result, I stopped competing in races because I believed my treatment gave me an unfair advantage. I will still do the occasional charity race, but I just run it, I don't go all out and try for a PR because I believe it would be unfair to others in my age group.

In my opinion, Lia Thomas should have the personal integrity to know that she has a significant unfair advantage in women's sports and simply not compete:
Thomas-UPenn.jpg
Transgender people exist, they do not have a mental disorder, they are not an abomination and they should be afforded the same rights and protections against discrimination as anyone else. Yes, they do, they are, and they are with a few exceptions. Men are not women, if they think they are thy have a mental issue. If the start cutting on their God given bodies, and dosing themselves with drugs they are an abomination, We classifiy athletic competition by gender in most all cases, men or women. You are born one of the other and if born a man you have a DNA that makes you bigger, faster, stronger than women in general and you should not compete against women regardless of what you want to call yourself. Men are going to beat most women when they compete at the same relative level.

Only the sick and the insane perpetuate these sick idea!

The "REAL Women" should stand up to the Lefts insanity and just kick out all the screwed males by doing a
drug test!

Too bad for America that the Fascist left are so Misogynist towards "WOMEN"!!!....
But the DEM's are quite confused you know.
Democarts are silencing their own if they speak out in favor of protecting real women in sports.

Transgender people exist, they do not have a mental disorder, they are not an abomination and they should be afforded the same rights and protections against discrimination as anyone else. That is not what this question is about. This is a question about fairness in sports.

I am a man and have competed in various races, cycling events, duathlons and so on. A few years ago, my doctor put me on testosterone replacement. After a significant head injury, my levels dropped and stayed low. My doctor believes it is a pituitary issue resulting from the head injury. At any rate, I have been on testosterone cypionate ever since. Within weeks of starting injections, it was apparent to me that the testosterone was enhancing my performance. I could train harder, got stronger, got faster, recovered faster. As a result, I stopped competing in races because I believed my treatment gave me an unfair advantage. I will still do the occasional charity race, but I just run it, I don't go all out and try for a PR because I believe it would be unfair to others in my age group.

In my opinion, Lia Thomas should have the personal integrity to know that she has a significant unfair advantage in women's sports and simply not compete:
Thomas-UPenn.jpg
You should should not be allowed to compete in men's sports as well. I was competitive as well in sports and extreme sports... once I broke my back that was it... I should not be allowed to build a new back or a robotic back and compete... it is over.

If a guy breaks an ankle and loses ability due to grinding bones or lack of cartilage or losses performance ability due to testosterone levels they should be shit out of luck.

Are you saying they should be ashamed of themselves because they are transgender, or because they are competing with an unfair advantage?
Isn't it obvious? Because they are men competing against women. Renee Richards should be ashamed of herself. The current Kiwi guy competing against women in weightlifting that lost... should be ashamed of herself for even trying. I have gotten into arguments with people here about it. Those that support her are ****ing idiots and hate women.

Name a sport that does not require physical strength...
I'm sorry, I meant to say where physical attributes are not vital to succeed. Sports like say for instance, NASCAR. Of course I don't think there are any such Women sports, because otherwise there would be no need for them to exist.

I'm sorry, I meant to say where physical attributes are not vital to succeed. Sports like say for instance, NASCAR. Of course I don't think there are any such Women sports, because otherwise there would be no need for them to exist.
Fair enough but I would argue that every sport has a physical advantage. We can get into the physical strength and exertion of NASCAR or of darts, bowling or sailing. All sports have a physical element and all sports favor men over women because of it.

Fair enough but I would argue that every sport has a physical advantage. We can get into the physical strength and exertion of NASCAR or of darts, bowling or sailing. All sports have a physical element and all sports favor men over women because of it.
I agree that those you mentioned, including auto racing, do have an element of physical strength to them. The bottom line with me is, the only reason the category of women's sports exist is because they stand no chance of being competitive if they had to compete with men... Therefore, my position on this remains the same as it has always has been... Biological men have no business being allowed to compete in women's sports PERIOD!

Therefore, my position on this remains the same as it has always has been... Biological men have no business being allowed to compete in women's sports PERIOD!

Thomas-UPenn.jpg

Why call Mr Lia Thomas 'she'. There is really nothing to be said for aiding and abetting deception.

My point is that a male-to-female transgender does not just have a potential genetic advantage honed by training, they have a potential genetic advantage that no cisgender woman on earth has in some sports, hence the unfairness.
Suggested minor amendment: omit the word 'cisgender'. A woman is a woman and no qualifying adjective is required.

The good Florida governor has fixed this issue.

Desantis is a freaking idiot, I think thats something that we can finally ALL agree on, 100% of us.

He NAILED this one here tho, a broken clock is right occasionally. But Decrapis is merely pandering and injecting himself into this issue when he shouldn't be to take advantage of populist support IMO. I am only guessing, but I would say that the vast majority of Americans dont believe this guy should be competing in WOMENS swimming. It shouldn't even have to be said, and now Decrapis will enjoy lots of support for taking a very basic common sense position on something like this. Stuff like this is why Democrats dont just run away with most elections IMO.

Women need to stop acting like babies and suck it up. Don't cry about how you want to be treated the same as men and then complain about this. I hope she destroys every known record there is.

Women need to stop acting like babies and suck it up. Don't cry about how you want to be treated the same as men and then complain about this. I hope she destroys every known record there is.
Get over your hatred of women.

Voted yes.

BUT.

How far do you want to go down that rabbit hole? How MUCH of an advantage is required for it to BECOME unfair. Was it fair that Holly field had almost a 2.5 inch reach advantage over Tyson, despite being in the same weight class? Was it fair that Shaq stands a full head and shoulders over other players when he was in the NBA? Are those FAIR advantages because they were naturally born with them? Well, trans women are naturally born with advantages over regular women, too? Is it OK if a trans woman has just a little more hormones than most normal women, instead of a lot more?

Fair is a tricky beast, folks.

Thomas-UPenn.jpg

There's no doubt in my mind That trans-gen definately do have an advantage.

Thomas-UPenn.jpg
I don’t have any doubt that these male to female trans-genders have a big advantage in some sports. You’ve just had a mediocre swimmer as a male rise to the top as a female. Having these trans-genders participate in woman’s sports as a woman certainly isn’t fair to those females who were born as a female. I’m not sure what should be done about it. I kind of view this as the steroid era in baseball. Those who used steroids certainly gained an advantage over those who didn’t based on hyped up talent vs. natural talent. Here we have gender advantage for those born as a male over natural born females.

Voted yes.

BUT.

How far do you want to go down that rabbit hole? How MUCH of an advantage is required for it to BECOME unfair. Was it fair that Holly field had almost a 2.5 inch reach advantage over Tyson, despite being in the same weight class? Was it fair that Shaq stands a full head and shoulders over other players when he was in the NBA? Are those FAIR advantages because they were naturally born with them? Well, trans women are naturally born with advantages over regular women, too? Is it OK if a trans woman has just a little more hormones than most normal women, instead of a lot more?

Fair is a tricky beast, folks.

The differences between male bodies and female bodies goes far beyond the levels of testosterone. The performance gap is not overcome by simply suppressing testosterone for one or two years.

Do male-to-female transgender athletes have an unfair advantage in some women's sports?​

the right question is do individual transgenders at times have an advantage in some sports?
My guess would be yes depending on individual, circumstances and sports

and such this is a hot topic ill post my same stance because it hasnt changed because theres no reason to change it

ill say that same thing i do in all posts on this issue
I leave it up to medical science and rights because it has nothgin to do with me, my opinions or feelings

IMO all sports tied to scholastics should be regulated by science since this deals with college admissions/edcuation etc
if science determines that there is no unfair advantage in general or based on rules and regulations of conversion periods, estrogen/testosterone levels, muscle mass etc etc then so be it
if science determines that there is an unfair advantage in general or based on rules and regulations of conversion periods, estrogen/testosterone levels, muscle mass etc etc then so be it

either way I'm good as long as its based on science, im also GUESSING that it will be more individual-based . . meaning person and sport not a blanket finding but i could be wrong

now outside of that, sports orgs are free to do whatever they want whether i agree or not. For example wIthout science proving or not proving this I doubt its fair that a male training to be a fighter since they were 16, comes out as trans at age 27 and then instantly starts competing in female MMA BUT my feelings of fairness are meaningless. The MMA is free to do what they like within the law and if people dont like it they are free not to participate. 🤷‍♂️

on a side note for those that need it

Quick Facts:
Gender =/= sex
Biology =/= gender
Transgender =/= sexual orientation
Transgender =/= delusion
Transgender =/= crossdressing/drag queens
Transgender =/= mental disorder
Transgender =/= Gender Dysphoria
Transitioning =/= child abuse
Transitioning =/= changing sex

Links for education

Answers to your questions about transgender people, gender identity, and gender expression

Transgender is an umbrella term used to describe people whose gender identity (sense of themselves as male or female) or gender expression differs from socially constructed norms associated with their birth sex. This includes androgynous, gendered and gender queer people, who tend to see...
www.apa.org

What Is Transgender?

Find out how gender identity is defined and what it means to be transgender.
www.webmd.com

What you need to know about being transgender

Know the basics about sex and gender, including common terms and definitions.
www.mayoclinic.org

What Is Gender Dysphoria?

Gender dysphoria involves a conflict between a person’s physical gender and the gender with which he or she identifies. Learn more at psychiatry.org.
www.psychiatry.org

all that aside HONEST discussion can be had on sports and this is my 2 cents
Women's sports arent in any danger and thus dont need saving/protection from "transgenders" thats a loony toon false narrative on the same level as the war on Christmas, 1/6 deniers, election truthers and flat earthers and watching the bigots and nutters have meltdowns over this is hilarious.

The differences between male bodies and female bodies goes far beyond the levels of testosterone. The performance gap is not overcome by simply suppressing testosterone for one or two years.
Agreed

Biologist Emma Hilton who co-authored a review on trans women in sports studied this.

She found that in most every category, men are much stronger. Testosterone blockers just can’t close the gap.

“A male could be 40% stronger than a female on his legs,” she says. “Things like shoulder width don’t change when transgender women suppress testosterone. They don’t get shorter. Their hearts don’t get smaller. They’ve still got big lungs. The performance gap in weightlifting is over 30% ... throwing a baseball over 50% ... when a male punches, 160%.”

Define those advantages?

I mean, for the sake of argument...is it an advantage to be stronger? Well, there are plenty of instances of some women being dramatically stronger than others...Venus and Serina Williams comes to mind. Height? Well, if we're going to regulate height advantages, will we apply that same conformity to ALL gender segregated sports?

Define those advantages?

I mean, for the sake of argument...is it an advantage to be stronger? Well, there are plenty of instances of some women being dramatically stronger than others...Venus and Serina Williams comes to mind. Height? Well, if we're going to regulate height advantages, will we apply that same conformity to ALL gender segregated sports?
Then why separate by gender at all? Let everyone compete together......which would end women's sports

Agreed

Biologist Emma Hilton who co-authored a review on trans women in sports studied this.

She found that in most every category, men are much stronger. Testosterone blockers just can’t close the gap.

“A male could be 40% stronger than a female on his legs,” she says. “Things like shoulder width don’t change when transgender women suppress testosterone. They don’t get shorter. Their hearts don’t get smaller. They’ve still got big lungs. The performance gap in weightlifting is over 30% ... throwing a baseball over 50% ... when a male punches, 160%.”
Women's record squat: 570 pounds.
Men's record squat: 1080 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom