• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do Americans (in general) Suffer from Normalcy Bias?

I like facts.
The part I've mentioned, you know, the part that led to the shutdown, is the truth. What has transpired since the shutdown is pure political posturing by both sides.

[/QUOTE]What happened leading up to the shutdown is that the dems agreed to spending cuts the repubs insisted on. In return, the repubs gave up nothing and shut down the govt anyway.

Then you wonder why the dems will no longer negotiate with the repubs.[/QUOTE]If you disregard a mere $240 billion difference, that would be correct.

The part I've mentioned, you know, the part that led to the shutdown, is the truth. What has transpired since the shutdown is pure political posturing by both sides.

No, the part you mentioned was only half of the truth.

If you disregard a mere $240 billion difference, that would be correct.

There was no difference. Boehner agreed to the $70billion spending reductions.

Once again, you're posting half-truths

No, the part you mentioned was only half of the truth.

There was no difference. Boehner agreed to the $70billion spending reductions.

Once again, you're posting half-truths
Since nothing has happened beyond the shutdown, I'm simply stating the truth of recent history. The only budgets on paper that mean anything at all are the ones that existed as differing proposals, both rejected by their congressional counterparts. In spite of all the back and forth since then, there hasn't been a meaningful vote on anything of substance - hence the shutdown. If you have a crystal ball and can tell me what the outcome of all of this will be and wish to state it as truth, have at it. I will wait and see what actually transpires.

Since nothing has happened beyond the shutdown, I'm simply stating the truth of recent history. The only budgets on paper that mean anything at all are the ones that existed as differing proposals, both rejected by their congressional counterparts. In spite of all the back and forth since then, there hasn't been a meaningful vote on anything of substance - hence the shutdown. If you have a crystal ball and can tell me what the outcome of all of this will be and wish to state it as truth, have at it. I will wait and see what actually transpires.

You are once again only stating half truths.

The fact is, the dems negotiated with the repubs in the house. They gave up $70billion in spending and got nothing in return

You are once again only stating half truths.

The fact is, the dems negotiated with the repubs in the house. They gave up $70billion in spending and got nothing in return

Doing what they should have been doing in the first place is not compromise.

Nice post.

Our nation is quite fragile and those from the left or right that spew otherwise simply haven't studied history. :peace

Which is why the repubs should stop trying to defund ACA and shutdown the govt
Defunding Obamacare will not shutdown the government.

Is it the American people that have a Normalcy bias, or is it the Right-leaners that have a Chicken Little Complex? When the Right-leaners say "fiscal cliff" "fiscal cliff" "fiscal cliff" (or the buzzword of the time) every year, and then absolutely nothing happens, every year, it's like Crying Wolf; eventually, it's almost impossible for the majority of Americans to take them seriously.

I fully acknowledge that spending has gotten out of control, that we need to reduce the deficit, and that the bureaucracy needs to be trimmed, but these empty threats of a "fiscal cliff" are counter-productive; every time a small govt. advocate uses that argument, they will be quickly ignored. Instead of using the whip, we should use the carrot; instead of shouting "fiscal cliff", talk about all the great things that would arise from a balanced budget. Small government can be had, but only once we denounce the Chicken Little's of the Right Wing.

Back
Top Bottom