• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeSantis slams NCAA and Lia Thomas, declares Florida swimmer 'rightful winner'

As the Governor of Utah put it so well when he just vetoed a laws banning transgender students in high school sports: "rarely has so much fear and anger been directed at so few."
It seems discrimination against women is fine.....if it's just a few women.

As the Governor of Utah put it so well when he just vetoed a laws banning transgender students in high school sports: "rarely has so much fear and anger been directed at so few."
How do you imagine it is fair to female athletes to let males who have a clear biological advantage over them, to compete against them in physical sports? In contact sports such as wrestling, MMA etc, it's outright dangerous for the female.

Biologist Emma Hilton who co-authored a review on trans women in sports studied this.

She found that in most every category, men are much stronger. Testosterone blockers just can’t close the gap.

“A male could be 40% stronger than a female on his legs,” she says. “Things like shoulder width don’t change when transgender women suppress testosterone. They don’t get shorter. Their hearts don’t get smaller. They’ve still got big lungs. The performance gap in weightlifting is over 30% ... throwing a baseball over 50% ... when a male punches, 160%.”

ok?
what does she and her study have to do with what i said?

IMO all sports tied to scholastics should be regulated by science since this deals with college admissions/edcuation etc
if science determines that there is no unfair advantage in general or based on rules and regulations of conversion periods, estrogen/testosterone levels, muscle mass etc etc then so be it
if science determines that there is an unfair advantage in general or based on rules and regulations of conversion periods, estrogen/testosterone levels, muscle mass etc etc then so be it

either way I'm good as long as its based on science, im also GUESSING that it will be more individual-based . . meaning person and sport not a blanket finding but i could be wrong

now outside of that, sports orgs are free to do whatever they want whether i agree or not. For example wIthout science proving or not proving this I doubt its fair that a male training to be a fighter since they were 16, comes out as trans at age 27 and then instantly starts competing in female MMA BUT my feelings of fairness are meaningless. The MMA is free to do what they like within the law and if people dont like it they are free not to participate. 🤷‍♂️

is her stud medical sommunity consensus that its always unfair advantage no matter individual and no matter sport?
does that apply to people that started transitioning at say 14?
what about the transgender sthat try and competes and lose and or are unsuccessful what didn't it just magically make them the best?
There was a transgirl in the area the played travel softball, she did get into a community college and played softball for them, she was below avg as a football player, what about here

like i said, im good with what medical science will figure out eventually and my guess, even though i could be wrong, will be its individual-based for individual sports and Ill be good with thier decisions of scholastic sports and the rest is none of my business.

Maybe it's time we started worrying less about who can swim to the end of a pool and back the fastest, or who can kick/hit/throw a ball the best, and worry about actual issues in this country/world when there are real, legit problems going on.
Is that why you are on an internet forum posting repeatedly on a topic you say doesn't matter. You think you are solving world problems here.

Are you going to come up with the new ideas?
Any sport that has speed, strength, etc as main ingredients means that the male will be better in MOST cases
I mean they can play lawn darts....
How about table tennis....
I thought about this one (table tennis) but quickness and power still come in to play and men have that in greater abundance than women.
The reality is that you cant have men/women compete fairly in most sports....genetics make it impossible
Agreed.

Because women's sports arent in any "danger" LOL
I agree with you on principle. Women sports aren't in danger. But, as a matter of fairness, trans-women are often physically superior to natural born women. Thus, having trans-women compete with natural born women is not fair to those who are natural born.

If all you're doing is measuring hormone levels, you're missing a huge portion of athletic performance. Two men can both have the same level of hormones, but if there's a huge physical difference (say height), the advantage in playing basketball would go to the taller player, all other things being equal (i.e. skill level). In swimming, if skill is generally on similar levels, the taller, stronger, broader, longer limbed swimmer is more likely to win. This is why males swimmers don't compete against the women. A woman would never again win if they did. In fact, pick a sport, the men often outperform the women.

Yes, for those poor transgender folks who wouldn't get to participate in women's sports.
For those not smart enough to get into college on brains.

Aren't underwater basketweavers wasting their time? Shouldn't people go to college for real societal contributing careers? And if they can't cut it, they bootstrap?

What's good for the goose!!

It seems discrimination against women is fine.....if it's just a few women.
Gov Cox’s reasoning is sound.

He vetoed the bill based on reality and empathy.

Citing that among 70,000 student athletes a total of four are trans and only one of them is trans female… that a bill banning kids from trying to find something that makes four kids life less crappy is just cruelty

It is good that he refused to give in to this current moral panic.

What about the individual women that are amazing athletes, but have their spot taken by a biological males?
What about individual trans that try to compete but stink and don't make it even though they are "biological males?"

Your question isnt based on reality, it suggest that every trans is succsful they arent and has my post already points out "IF" medical science shows its unfair, then we should listen to medical science for scholastic sports, if it doesnt it, it is what it is
Don’t those biological women deserve the spot over the biological male?
see answer above about science
Doesnt that individual trans deserve to not be discriminated against and treated as a lesser if science doesn't show a factual advantage for that individual
Why can’t all biological males play in male sports no matter their gender identity?
That would depend on the rules of those sports and leagues, in many cases they could

Gov Cox’s reasoning is sound.

He vetoed the bill based on reality and empathy.

Citing that among 70,000 student athletes a total of four are trans and only one of them is trans female… that a bill banning kids from trying to find something that makes four kids life less crappy is just cruelty

It is good that he refused to give in to this current moral panic.
If those four beat out dozens of women who have trained their whole young lives in their sport ot is absolute discrimination and it's awful

when a man ranked in the mid 500's decides he wants to compete against women, and he then absolutely crushes women and is ranked 1 in the womens league, that womens sport is in danger
you are allowed to feel that way, its just not a statement of fact though

Men who have transitioned have an advantage over females. You've been shown this, in several other threads.
no, that has not been shown to be a blanket case for all individuals in all sports. Lying and saying otherwise won't make it true. lol

I agree that DeSantis' motives were purely cynical, but it was made possible because the Democrats have allowed themselves to be beholden to the woke left. You can be a supporter of transgender rights, and also recognize that male-to-female transgender athletes have an unfair advantage in many women's sports.

The right-wing's racism and misogyny is always someone else's fault.

The bigots are the real victims here.

Aren't underwater basketweavers wasting their time? Shouldn't people go to college for real societal contributing careers? And if they can't cut it, they bootstrap?

People are starving and dying and you're still kvetching about this?

you are allowed to feel that way, its just not a statement of fact though
It's a demonstrated statement of fact, as evidenced by Mr. Thomas lol

If those four beat out dozens of women who have trained their whole young lives in their sport ot is absolute discrimination and it's awful
They don’t though.

This is a moral panic based on the demonization of a handful of people.

If there was an effort to figure out how to incorporate these concerns into the sport without a literal banning… then fine.

But this is nothing more than an overblown moral panic to shit on trans kids for votes.

Transgender should be able to compete.....just with and against their natural foes

Lia should be still competing with the men.....and yes, she would be an also ran.....but she could compete. She was ranked 500th before transitioning, and it wouldnt help her, so now maybe 5000.....

It doesnt stop her from actually competing and trying. She just wont be headlines as she breaks womens records and wins womens meets

Why would that be a problem?

every person that sides with men/former men shattering women's records (which is wrong) is inadvertently making the trumps and the desantis' of the world politically stronger because it is wrong for them to shatter women's records and the majority of the US (deep down) knows that it's wrong.

i would even say that some people that are fighting for the right for them to shatter women's records (and put a lot of women out of work) even know it's wrong but just can't quite make themselves say the words.

They don’t though.

This is a moral panic based on the demonization of a handful of people.

If there was an effort to figure out how to incorporate these concerns into the sport without a literal banning… then fine.

But this is nothing more than an overblown moral panic to shit on trans kids for votes.
It is about basic fairness. To go from being ranked 500th and then to win championships just because you changed genders is inherently unfair

Its discrimination

While I agree that degrees need to pay and underwater basketweaving shouldn't even be allowed, what is your point to biological advantages in the sexes being inherently unfair?
You are the one arguing that it shouldn't matter.
It does matter. I keep waiting for why it SHOULDN'T matter, but it seems I will be waiting a while.
Yes, people need to bootstrap, I still fail to see the relevance. Maybe you could attempt to connect the dots?
Athletes have to get in to college using the same metrics anyone else has to meet to get into college.

I agree with you on principle. Women sports aren't in danger. But, as a matter of fairness, trans-women are often physically superior to natural born women. Thus, having trans-women compete with natural born women is not fair to those who are natural born.
if science proves that as a blanket statement Ill totally support banning it for scholastic sports
if science proves something else, ill support that also
🤷‍♂️

This is a contentious issue and I understand both positions. This example will probably end up as something that history will remember. That being said, DeSantis is just projecting himself into the narrative for exposure, imo.

I wonder if she has made a complete transition? If so then she should be allowed; if not then she still has masculine tendencies and shouldn't be allowed. It really does make a difference if transgenders; male or female have had a complete transition to their revised gender

Back
Top Bottom