• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeSantis slams NCAA and Lia Thomas, declares Florida swimmer 'rightful winner'

I agree, that DeSantis is looking to up his profile, but he's correct in that Lia should not be competing against natural born women. I'm fine with her being considered a "her", but she has the body of a man, in shape and form. Longer arms, broader shoulders, larger hands, etc., all make it unfair to have her competing against women. It sucks, sure, but it really isn't fair to the other women. Trans-women need their own league.

The fact of her biology shouldn't be such a confusing issue for Liberals and Progressives. Stop trying to unfairly protect trans-people simply become Conservatives are in opposition to it.

Agreed. I know I get accused of "transphobia" but it is what it is - and that it's not fair in competition.

This is a contentious issue and I understand both positions. This example will probably end up as something that history will remember. That being said, DeSantis is just projecting himself into the narrative for exposure, imo.

I agree with him. Biological men shouldn't be competing women's sports.

"Orders of magnitude"? Seriously? Dude.
Oh and furthermore, how about either showing some independent thought or quite the charade as one.

I’d say if you are a young woman competing in NCAA swimming, this is a real, legit problem.

If you’re a young woman competing in high school hoping to make it into a collegiate team and get a scholarship…

If you are the parent of such a young woman…

The NCAA needs to take a better look at their policies and protect the integrity of women’s sports at the collegiate level.
Can you name me a single transgender female athlete that won a college scholarship? How about a transgender female winning the League MVP for the WNBA? How about a metal in the Olympics?

Transgender people are an extremely small segment of our population. It's even smaller, if you only include transgender females in sports. As far as I know, the NCAA allows transgender women into women's sports, if they have been on estrogen for at least a year and their hormone levels are the same levels as a biological woman.

I agree, that DeSantis is looking to up his profile, but he's correct in that Lia should not be competing against natural born women. I'm fine with her being considered a "her", but she has the body of a man, in shape and form. Longer arms, broader shoulders, larger hands, etc., all make it unfair to have her competing against women. It sucks, sure, but it really isn't fair to the other women. Trans-women need their own league.

The fact of her biology shouldn't be such a confusing issue for Liberals and Progressives. Stop trying to unfairly protect trans-people simply become Conservatives are in opposition to it.

Absolutely agree. More people on the left should stop being afraid to say it.

I’d say if you are a young woman competing in NCAA swimming, this is a real, legit problem.

If you’re a young woman competing in high school hoping to make it into a collegiate team and get a scholarship…

If you are the parent of such a young woman…

The NCAA needs to take a better look at their policies and protect the integrity of women’s sports at the collegiate level.
"My teammates and I are watching our records, our scholarships and our competitive opportunities slip away…wondering if anyone in authority is going to have the courage to step up and save women’s sports."

Oh and furthermore, how about either showing some independent thought or quite the charade as one.
Ironic, you accuse me of not employing "independent thought" when every one of your posts are plagiarizing QAnon.

Dude.

Improve.

Please.

Can you name me a single transgender female athlete that won a college scholarship? How about a transgender female winning the League MVP for the WNBA? How about a metal in the Olympics?

Well, since this is a very new thing happening.............
Transgender people are an extremely small segment of our population. It's even smaller, if you only include transgender females in sports. As far as I know, the NCAA allows transgender women into women's sports, if they have been on estrogen for at least a year and their hormone levels are the same levels as a biological woman.

And they shouldn't. Biological men should be playing in men's sports no matter their gender identity.

How could such a league exist? The sample is so tiny. You could make a league in Florida, New York, California or Texas, but I not anywhere else. How many transgender females can you fit in a room?

The better solution is to INCREASE sports designed for men and women.

Even with equal hormone levels, Lia is not built like natural born women.

GettyImages-1239279387.jpg

Ironic, you accuse me of not employing "independent thought" when every one of your posts are plagiarizing QAnon.

Dude.

Improve.

Please.
Dude, get a clue. I'm talking politics. I've seen you on the liberal side of everything, and virtually never INDEPENDENT.

How could such a league exist? The sample is so tiny. You could make a league in Florida, New York, California or Texas, but I not anywhere else. How many transgender females can you fit in a room?

Explain your last sentence, please.

I agree, it probably won't exist. But, as you say, they are a tiny segment of the population. Why are we surrendering women's sports to accommodate this minute segment who are having an outsized impact on women sports?

If there is a spot on the team that is taken by a trans athlete, that is one less spot available to a biological woman.

It isn’t about whether the trans athlete themselves is the recipient of the scholarship, there are only X spots on women’s teams.

Dude, get a clue. I'm talking politics. I've seen you on the liberal side of everything, and virtually never INDEPENDENT.
No, I'm on the pragmatic side of things. If a conservative does anything I admire, I'll say it.

I wish Jack Kemp would have been on the other side of the Dole/Kemp ticket for example. I think Jack Kemp would have been one of our best presidents ever. I'm not kidding.

Your problem is - all you want to do is take down the blue team. You think by doing that you're doing some good.

Your name is "American". Post things that are good for America, my friend.

So far - you're failing hard!

You should go work on those instead of frittering away your valuable time here IMO, if you're that worried about it.
I do.

The governor of a state in the US has a lot more power in that regard and he's squandering it whining about swimming and kids choosing to wear masks.

Maybe it's time we started worrying less about who can swim to the end of a pool and back the fastest, or who can kick/hit/throw a ball the best, and worry about actual issues in this country/world when there are real, legit problems going on.
Easy to say....and yes there are issues out there far more important

But....these kids have spent their entire lives training to compete. I just believe the playing field (ie pool) needs to stay level.

The physique of the male is totally different than a female, and them competing in events after their life event completely alters the fairness of play doctrine most of us understand to be an unwritten rule in all sporting events

They want (need) to identify as female yet are still male for the most part.

In the huge scheme of things, this is not earth shattering.....but the look on the girls faces after competing against men tells me all i need to know

This is a contentious issue and I understand both positions. This example will probably end up as something that history will remember. That being said, DeSantis is just projecting himself into the narrative for exposure, imo.

Indeed, its been over a week since he's been in the news bashing the LGBTQ community.

I do.

The governor of a state in the US has a lot more power in that regard and he's squandering it whining about swimming and kids choosing to wear masks.

I agree with that, but he is a politician and he's being a pandering politician and it will work to his favor IMO.

FYI: everyone realizes that Lia sat OUT a year from college just so they could compete against women, right?

Thomas desperately wanted to swim with the women’s team. With COVID-19 threatening to interrupt the 2020–21 college season, Thomas took what would have been her senior season off as a hedge to keep her final year of eligibility.

And Lia admits that their own body felt “different”…after taking hormone replacement therapy. Acknowledging, in a way, that the biological male body IS faster, stronger…than a woman’s

When she started practicing with Penn again in the late summer of 2021, she felt physically different from the person who’d come close to hitting NCAA championship–qualifying times in men’s distance races. She’d been on HRT a little more than two years by then. Thomas says she shrunk about an inch. She noticed her strength wasn’t the same; fat had also had been redistributed within her body. Holding her old practice paces was an impossibility. She realized she couldn’t obsess over what she could no longer do. “I feel disconnected from them,” she says of her old race times. “It was a different moment in my life.”

Mind you, Lia is still 6’4”.

Lia has eyes on competing in the Olympics.

Explain your last sentence, please.
I don't think there's much to explain, but I'll give it a try. If we want to be more inclusive and reduce discrimination against people who do not cleanly fit the male or female categories, we should increase focus on increasing the number of sports leagues designed for all genders, all sexes. Lets have more sports programs where men and women can compete together, rather than focusing on sex segregation.

🤣🤣

Ruined swimming. Jesus...

There are real issues in the world people face right now. Who touched concrete first at the end of a swim race isn't one of them.
Then it won't be a big deal for the NCAA to correctly ban men from competing against women.

Back
Top Bottom