• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Department of Homeland Security Sets Up ‘Disinformation Governance Board’ to Fight ‘Misinformation’

Proven how? You decide they are proven lies? This board made up of Biden cronies that you agree with decides? How about a board of Trump cronies deciding the lefty lies? Can you see the other side of this 1984 coin or not?
Facts can be verified.

I see both sides. I see a distressing amount of people expressing belief in tales that cannot be verified and have been disproven. If the left is slinging around a bunch of lies, stop them, too, but it shouldn't be a partisan game.

The lies of the left being spread are real. The example of the Steele dossier for example. Real lies.

I certainly do not want some government censoring agency. Do you really want this? It does not sound like you do.
If you watched or read any news at the time the dossier came out you would have seen that the information was never given validity and has always been in question and always neither proven or disproven. The same outlets that vetted the information were called the enemy of the people by the president that I presume you are stumping for. Shall we abolish the entities which fact check or shall we elect the people who spread the misinformation - because the GOP is currently spreading misinformation. what happened to your ivermectin by the way

If you watched or read any news at the time the dossier came out you would have seen that the information was never given validity and has always been in question and always neither proven or disproven. The same outlets that vetted the information were called the enemy of the people by the president that I presume you are stumping for. Shall we abolish the entities which fact check or shall we elect the people who spread the misinformation - because the GOP is currently spreading misinformation. what happened to your ivermectin by the way
They don't seem able to remember that part.

I want them to censor actual lies, yes. It's a shame we are so free to spread lies. Someone has to stop it. Fact checking doesn't work; people have been brainwashed to not believe the truth under their noses. So, of course I wish it hadn't come to this, but we've taken free speech too far and it's undermining faith in everything we hold dear as Americans.

We are awash in propaganda.

I don't want government telling me what are lies and what is not. I want to decide for myself. Too many lying politicians to tell us what not to trust.

If the Steele Dossier was not proven or disproven, why was FISA warrants issued by the secret court?!? Because they falsely presented the Steele Dossier as true.

They are only suppose to present vetted evidence as proof to the court, which they never vetted as true.

So, you want our government to just pretend foreign misinformation campaigns don't exist? Let the Chinese and North Koreans spread whatever they want?
There seems to be a disconnect in comments here. Are those who are critical of what (I understand) is proposed, opposed to the USG countering Russian propaganda with its own information? Why?

You want the government to be doing this? Sweet baby Jesus.
Yes, why wouldn’t I want the government to counter Russian disinformation? Or are we talking past one another in this thread? Can someone outline a- what is proposed? And 2- why that is objectionable?

The government doesn’t have the right to decide what truth is or isn't for the American public.

You can't really say disinformation board and Constitutionally protected free speech are going to co-exsist in any sense of the word.
Yes we can. Please plain how the government correcting misinformation is inappropriate. Didn’t we do that for decades with the Voice of America. When I visited US consulates in Mexico in the 1960s, there were US-published Spanish language comic books for people in the waiting room to read, comics that debunked the notion of Cuba as a paradise. Wasn’t that appropriate?

Government agencies, on an everyday basis, release public statements that are deliberately tailored to suit their desired message.

Nothing new, and not a 1A issue.
True. Tempest, meet Teapot. Teapot, say hello to Tempest.

What am I missing? President Trump had press secretaries charged with getting his message out and presumably correcting misinformation. So does President Biden. So have presidents as far back as I remember. The Voice of America did that, and may still be doing it. What is new, different, and worrisome here?

Last edited:
That ship sailed a long time ago, dude.
You mean that ship sank and all the young people in this country are in for a big surprise. I am not concerned it is the young people that will get to live in the nightmare we are creating.

If the Steele Dossier was not proven or disproven, why was FISA warrants issued by the secret court?!? Because they falsely presented the Steele Dossier as true.

They are only suppose to present vetted evidence as proof to the court, which they never vetted as true.
Because the Stelle Dossier was improperly introduced as having been partially verified. Corroborated, as one would say. It has never been proven nor disproven. Fact.

True. Tempest, meet Teapot. Teapot, say hello to Tempest.

What am I missing? President Trump had press secretaries charged with getting his message out and presumably correcting misinformation. So does President Biden. So have presidents as far back as I remember. The Voice of America did that, and may still be doing it. What is new, different, and worrisome here?

So is this "information board" going to counter this misinformation of the current Presidents and their administration, or simply counter certain political sides?

Because the Stelle Dossier was improperly introduced as having been partially verified. Corroborated, as one would say. It has never been proven nor disproven. Fact.

As far as I've seen, none of it has been vetted. In fact, the Steele Dossier was leaked to Yahoo news, and when officially posted online by Yahoo, that same unvetted news was used to renew the FISA warrant a second time!

So is this "information board" going to counter this misinformation of the current Presidents and their administration, or simply counter certain political sides?
I imagine it will address things like the rallies and bots that said the covid vaccine killed people, that masks were a way to make americans slaves, and ivermectin worked and china intentionally spread covid? Things 70% of self identified Republicans believe, things that are meant to prevent actual conversations, countless threads on here about "open border" policy and not one single person knew what our border policy was when I asked. We are steeped in lies, and now the most influential platform on the internet has been purchased to give the lies a stage. Let's see the GOP opt into debates if they care about speech

As far as I've seen, none of it has been vetted. In fact, the Steele Dossier was leaked to Yahoo news, and when officially posted online by Yahoo, was used to renew the FISA warrant a second time!
I watched the hearing on it, did you? You can just find out that information, nobody is hiding it, why are you so mad? I think you need something else to use as an excuse to not discuss the insurrection and plan to steal the election in 2024. That's right here too

The Brennan Center for Justice reports that “between January 1 and May 14, 2021, at least 14 states enacted 22 new laws that restrict access to the vote” and “at least 61 bills with restrictive provisions are moving through 18 state legislatures.” Those bills are designed not to avert nonexistent voter fraud but to avert another election defeat for Republicans — and they are drawing perilously close to that goal.
In Georgia, for example, a new law stipulates that mobile voting stations “shall only be used in emergencies declared by the Governor,” who is a Republican. That will put out of business two “mobile voting units” — a.k.a. buses — that collected 11,200 ballots in Atlanta’s Fulton County in November. Also, under the new law, provisional ballots will no longer be accepted from voters who go to the wrong polling place; 11,120 provisional ballots were counted in November. “Combined,” writes my Post colleague David Weigel, “the ballots cast by both methods are nearly double the margin by which [Joe] Biden won Georgia.”

Now your throwing up strawmen to defect away from the Steele Dossier since it's so hard to counter it now.
I answered you, the Steele Dossier was improperly used to obtain a FISA warrant on Carter Page and the court got it right. The hearing in congress is available on youtube, the information in the dossier is not proven nor disproven. Steele thought it was true, others are very skeptical, including myself, but it appears you can't address one single point I'm making. Again, why do we have this board?
I imagine it will address things like the rallies and bots that said the covid vaccine killed people, that masks were a way to make americans slaves, and ivermectin worked and china intentionally spread covid? Things 70% of self identified Republicans believe, things that are meant to prevent actual conversations, countless threads on here about "open border" policy and not one single person knew what our border policy was when I asked. We are steeped in lies, and now the most influential platform on the internet has been purchased to give the lies a stage. Let's see the GOP opt into debates if they care about speech

I answered you, the Steele Dossier was improperly used to obtain a FISA warrant on Carter Page and the court got it right. The hearing in congress is available on youtube, the information in the dossier is not proven nor disproven. Steele thought it was true, others are very skeptical, including myself, but it appears you can't address one single point I'm making. Again, why do we have this board?

Wayyyy to late for that. Why was the FISA warrant reissued based on circular evidence based on the Yahoo news?

And it's not so much the informations fault, it's the FISA courts. Without lawyers countering the misinformation, such abuses could of been prevented by misuse. That's why it's so important to debate ALL sides of the information rather from some " misinformation board". We only get it from one side.

Sorry, but I trust NO ONE from a single board in government having the ultimate authority on the truth.

Wayyyy to late for that. Why was the FISA warrant reissued based on circular evidence based on the Yahoo news?

And it's not so much the informations fault, it's the FISA courts. Without lawyers countering the misinformation, such abuses could of been prevented by misuse. That's why it's so important to debate ALL sides of the information rather from some " misinformation board". We only get it from one side.
All sides of what? The GOP WON'T DEBATE, they won't talk about the insurrection, McCarthy LIED and Marjorie Taylor Greene LIED

Here's a LIE

G.O.P. Concocts Fake Threat: Voter Fraud by Undocumented Immigrants

ix years after former President Donald J. Trump paved his way to the White House on nativist and xenophobic appeals to white voters, the 2,000-mile dividing line between Mexico and the United States has once again become a fixation of the Republican Party.

But the resurgence of the issue on the right has come with a new twist: Republican leaders and candidates are increasingly claiming without basis that unauthorized immigrants are gaining access to the ballot box.

Voter fraud is exceptionally rare, and allegations that widespread numbers of undocumented immigrants are voting have been repeatedly discredited. Yet that fabricated message — capitalizing on a concocted threat to advance Mr. Trump’s broader lie of stolen elections — is now finding receptive audiences in more than a dozen states across the country, including several far from the U.S.-Mexico border.

In Macomb County, Mich., where Republicans are fiercely split between those who want to investigate the 2020 election and those who want to move on, many voters at the county G.O.P. convention this month said they feared that immigrants were entering the country illegally, not just to steal jobs but also to steal votes by casting fraudulent ballots for Democrats.

Sorry, but I trust NO ONE from a single board in government having the ultimate authority on the truth.
Do you live in Pennsylvania? Hope not if you don't trust the government!

State Senate Republicans will collect personal information on every Pennsylvania voter, including the last four digits of their Social Security numbers, as part of their controversial investigation of the 2020 general election. Subpoenas to get that information and more were approved Wednesday in a 7-4 party-line vote by the Senate Intergovernmental Operations Committee. In addition to the Social Security numbers, the committee is seeking a list of the more than 9 million registered voters in Pennsylvania, including their names, dates of birth, addresses, dates of their votes in the November 2020 general election and May 2021 primary. The inquiry also seeks a list that details how everyone voted in those elections — in person or by mail, absentee ballot or provisional ballot.

People in our intelligence community purposely lied and falsified documents to undermine the legitimacy of a sitting president and the only thing that was done about it was to fire a few people. There is no coming back back from that abuse. All trust has been lost in the integrity of those institutions.

All sides of what? The GOP WON'T DEBATE, they won't talk about the insurrection, McCarthy LIED and Marjorie Taylor Greene LIED

Here's a LIE

G.O.P. Concocts Fake Threat: Voter Fraud by Undocumented Immigrants

Throwing out anadodal evidence does not speak to all Republcans or to your argument.

See, I can do that too:

How about the Obama administration weaponizing the IRS against Conservative organizations as far as the IRS even apologizing for it? Or Obamas targeting the "Free Press"?

Throwing out anadodal evidence does not speak to all Republcans or to your argument.

See, I can do that too:

How about the Obama administration weaponizing the IRS against Conservative organizations as far as the IRS even apologizing for it? Or Obamas targeting the "Free Press"?
The IRS investigation was actually a hoax. You have proven my point

If any Republicans are reading this, come over here and help me not vote for these lunatics! You were lied to
In January 2014, James Comey, who at the time was the FBI director, told Fox News that its investigation had found no evidence so far warranting the filing of federal criminal charges in connection with the controversy, as it had not found any evidence of "enemy hunting", and that the investigation continued. On October 23, 2015, the Justice Department declared that no criminal charges would be filed. On September 8, 2017, the Trump Justice Department declined to reopen the criminal investigation into Lois Lerner, a central figure in the controversy.[3]
In October 2017, the Trump Administration agreed to settle a lawsuit filed on behalf of more than four hundred conservative nonprofit groups who claimed that they had been discriminated against by the Internal Revenue Service for an undisclosed amount described by plaintiffs' counsel as "very substantial." The Trump Administration also agreed to settle a second lawsuit brought by forty-one conservative organizations with an apology and an admission from the IRS that subjecting them to "heightened scrutiny and inordinate delays" was wrongful.[4][5]

Sorry my keyboard sucks. Hope you don't live in Michigan!

"This is not just about 2022," Trump said during his visit to the state in early April. "This is about making sure Michigan is not rigged and stolen again in 2024."

Karamo is the first of the many election-denying candidates running in secretary of state races across the U.S. to move toward appearing on a state ballot in November. She has also said she doesn't believe evolution should be taught in schools.

Incumbent Democrat Benson faced a torrent of threats and harassment following the 2020 election that echoed Trump's lies about voting in Michigan. Ahead of Saturday's vote, Benson said that she worried about the state of democracy, should the state elect a secretary of state candidate like Karamo, who thinks the 2020 election was stolen.

"It's like putting arsonists in charge of a fire department. It's like putting a bank robber in charge of a bank and giving them the keys to the vault," Benson said. "This is a choice between whether or not we'll have a democracy moving forward."

Looking ahead to the general election, some Michigan political insiders question whether Karamo will be able to widen her support outside of Trump's base, considering the range of controversial views she has already voiced.

She appeared at a QAnon-adjacent rally last year, and she has said she believes the conspiracy theory that left-wing activists were behind the riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

"Every ad from April 24 through November is going to say 'QAnon Karamo is too crazy for us,' " said state Rep. Beau LaFave, a Republican who ran for secretary of state against Karamo, before Saturday's vote.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom