• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Department of Homeland Security Sets Up ‘Disinformation Governance Board’ to Fight ‘Misinformation’

This new Ministry of Truth is a farce. Just like the presidency.

Hopefully, if they try to muzzle the American people, the Court will put a stop to it.

Good God, how the hell did we get here?

Hopefully, if they try to muzzle the American people, the Court will put a stop to it.

IMO, this board is ultimately not real and will go nowhere. I think this is a pre-election stunt for the not-very-bright elements of the Progressive base who still think the 2016 election was stolen using "misinformation" on social media.

IMO, this board is ultimately not real and will go nowhere. I think this is a pre-election stunt for the not-very-bright elements of the Progressive base who still think the 2016 election was stolen using "misinformation" on social media.
I hope you're right.

Let's not forget the PATRIOT Act, which became law in October of 2001. It blatantly violated the 4th Amendment by giving Government the power to conduct searches and seizures on people whom they "felt" might be involved in unlawful associations.

The Act would permit Sneak-and-Peek Warrants, Roving Wiretaps, Trap and Trace Searches, Bulk Data Collection and Storage, etc etc. The Senate passed it, which was a failure on the part of the Legislative Branch, Bush (43) signed it, which was a failure on the part of the Executive Branch, and the SCOTUS pretended not to notice, which was a failure on the part of the Judicial Branch.

This current administration is completely dysfunctional and a farce.

Really? So when President Biden tells personal stories of bravado that never happened, will his own administration 'fact check' him?

There is no lack of ability presently of an administration to make their case on any issue.
“The new board also will monitor and prepare for Russian disinformation threats as this year’s midterm elections near and the Kremlin continues an aggressive disinformation campaign around the war in Ukraine.”

AFAIK, the new disinformation board isn’t replacing the WH Press Secretary, who’s job it is to speak for the President, including damage control of gaffes.

Like I said earlier, I don’t think the creation of this board is a good idea.

A disinformation board is a great idea in theory, but wouldn’t stand a chance of success in our current environment of division and distrust. If anything, it would exacerbate the very problem it was created to alleviate.

Deflecting.
Comparing stupid notions that undoubtedly would not stand up to constitutional challenges.
He didn't
He did.

“You have to stand proudly for national anthem, or shouldn’t be playing, you shouldn’t be there,” Trump added. “Maybe you shouldn’t be in the country.”
“You have to stand proudly for national anthem, or shouldn’t be playing, you shouldn’t be there,” Trump added. “Maybe you shouldn’t be in the country.”

Not for just kneeling, only;

“Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!” Trump wrote in a post to his social media account.

"We're looking at that very seriously, birthright citizenship, where you have a baby on our land, you walk over the border, have a baby–congratulations, the baby is now a U.S. citizen," Trump said. "It's frankly ridiculous."
and what I said has nothing to do with Trump.
Of course not. You’d much rather pretend that Biden is a threat to our Constitution, ignoring the person that has threatened our representative democracy more than any other President in American history.

"I don't want my government to do a good job," stated unironically, is quite hilarious.
There's nothing funny about it. And frankly, I can't believe you're that ignorant not to understand the inherent dangers with an efficient, well-run government. It's one of the primary reasons, if not THE primary reason we have checks and balances built into our system of governance. Joking about not needing them or taking them away isn't funny at all.

Do we really think that an administration that claims that a $3.5 trillion spending bill cost nothing, that showing an ID at a polling place amounts to Jim Crow 2.0 or that sex is determined by one's personal opinion on the matter has the technical ability to weed out "disinformation?'

Moreover, the defenders of this proposal have more or less been the same people who spread 'disinformation' regarding Trump/Russia collusion, or said that inflation was going to be "transitory."

On top of that, its not as if Mr. Biden (you know, the fellow who is permitting this board to be created) has been known to stories of personal bravado that just never actually happened.
Disinformation?

I think we all know the conniption that progressives would have, had a Republican administration (such as Trump's) set up a government panel to weed out "disinformation."
Much like the sudden concern about the power of 'big tech' that they suddenly developed when Musk purchased Twitter, progressives would also suddenly be fretting about such a board should a Republican win the election in 2024.
Deflections. What about Biden this or that? Elon musk? What if Twump set up a disinformation desk? Meh. They’d try going after The View or Bill Maher and collapse under their own ridiculousness a month later, like his ‘election integrity’ investigation that went nowhere. Whatever.

Back in the real world, it is well known Russian propaganda (among other state actors) targets the US media, political discourse and electoral campaigns. It’s an operation run by military intelligence. Setting up a desk to monitor it more closely is a prudent move for the intel community.

Maybe they're eerily silent about it because the actual proposal isn't this dystopian MINISTRY OF TRUTH you people are imagining?
Eliminating that opotion, I don't see much of a purpose for creating it. We already have intel agencies that deal with this stuff. What are they gonna do that isn't already being done?

Yes, the Supreme Court would be the last ditch effort to stop it, if it come to being.

There's nothing funny about it. And frankly, I can't believe you're that ignorant not to understand the inherent dangers with an efficient, well-run government. It's one of the primary reasons, if not THE primary reason we have checks and balances built into our system of governance. Joking about not needing them or taking them away isn't funny at all.
There aren't inherent dangers to an efficient, well-run government.

There are dangers to a government that uses its power to harm people.

An inefficient government is more open to corruption. Congrats, you played yourself.

There aren't inherent dangers to an efficient, well-run government.

And that changes all the time depending who in power. It's best not to give that power to the government, but up to the people to decide for themselves.

I'll be here to remind all of you about how you felt about this Ministry, once the tables turn and the crying begins anew.

And that changes all the time depending who in power. It's best not to give that power to the government, but up to the people to decide for themselves.
Efficiency and power are not the same thing. Competence and power are not the same thing.

You people are actually afraid of a government that does too good of a job. That's bonkers. Tell it to all the veterans struggling to get proper care from the VA!

Can someone explain to me what the USG defines as disinformation as opposed to information and why it wants to govern disinformation? Will the USG be governing commercial advertising, tabloid articles, academic theories that are not "popular", peoples' publicly expressed but personal beliefs and will the USG be governing what facts are?

This is both a stupid and dangerous initiative by the Biden Administration. We all know that most facts change over time; the sun doesn't come up, the Earth spins to make it seem so. Christopher Columbus didn't discover America, there were Viking settlements in North America 400 years before he set sail. Facts change over time, so "truth" is a fluid concept created not by facts but by a consenus of what to believe by a critical mass of any society's population. Thus this "Governance Board" is trying to seize the ability to impose consensus rather than allowing it to emerge from public discourse and social communicative intercourse. This is not about protecting truth but rather about establishing and imposing orthodoxy by diktat.

To me this appears to be a serious overreach, an egregious breach of the constitution and an attempt to seize a bridge too far, which will most likely fail if Americans oppose it and test it in court. Freedom of thought, freedom of speech and freedom of the press are all threatened by such 'governance'.

Stop this in its tracks, America.

Caveat populi! (people beware!)

Cheers and be vigilant.
Evilroddy.

Efficiency and power are not the same thing. Competence and power are not the same thing.

You people are actually afraid of a government that does too good of a job. That's bonkers. Tell it to all the veterans struggling to get proper care from the VA!

Doing a good job is a matter of opinion among party lines. Let's ask agian if Biden is doing a good job now and you will see that for yourself.

A good job compared to what? Certainly not the market, which is virtually always superior. Compare private housing to public housing, private schools to public schools, private transportation to public transportation, etc. The government provided "service" invariable sucks donkey dick compared to the private alternative.

A good job compared to what? Certainly not the market, which is virtually always superior. Compare private housing to public housing, private schools to public schools, private transportation to public transportation, etc. The government provided "service" invariable sucks donkey dick compared to the private alternative.
Read the conversation and you'll be less confused. Have a nice day!

Can someone explain to me what the USG defines as disinformation as opposed to information and why it wants to govern disinformation? Will the USG be governing commercial advertising, tabloid articles, academic theories that are not "popular", peoples' publicly expressed but personal beliefs and will the USG be governing what facts are?
Nope.
Bye!

Why aren’t Republicans using ivermectin as an example of their free speech that was suppressed?

Is it because they had a disinformation campaign and people died as a result of their lies? I guess Sean hannity can devise a misinformation campaign in the open now with mark meadows, everyone here can read about it, and if you’re enraged about “woke” people none of that matters to you.

This is both a stupid and dangerous initiative by the Biden Administration. We all know that most facts change over time; the sun doesn't come up, the Earth spins to make it seem so. Christopher Columbus didn't discover America, there were Viking settlements in North America 400 years before he set sail. Facts change over time, so "truth" is a fluid concept created not by facts but by a consenus of what to believe by a critical mass of any society's population. Thus this "Governance Board" is trying to seize the ability to impose consensus rather than allowing it to emerge from public discourse and social communicative intercourse. This is not about protecting truth but rather about establishing and imposing orthodoxy by diktat.

To me this appears to be a serious overreach, an egregious breach of the constitution and an attempt to seize a bridge too far, which will most likely fail if Americans oppose it and test it in court. Freedom of thought, freedom of speech and freedom of the press are all threatened by such 'governance'.

Stop this in its tracks, America.

Caveat populi! (people beware!)

Cheers and be vigilant.
Evilroddy.
John Kerry was a traitor / swift boat veterans? Ivermectin? Qanon? Obama is a Muslim from Kenya? The election was stolen and true the vote proved it (true the vote has never alleged finding voter fraud). Fusion gps is a Hugo Chavez Trojan horse? Democrats want open borders (despite the gop killing the border reform bill). The voter integrity bill would allow democrats to draw districts (it would prevent it). McCarthy never said trump should resign - he’s on tape saying it.

Maybe those? And for democrats Fahrenheit 9/11 in theaters? I’m not really for that either.

Back
Top Bottom