• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats really love their chances 2014 with a long protracted Government shutdown

Re: Democrats really love their chances 2014 with a long protracted Government shutdo

Not if it doesn't make any sense and is a waste of time and money...

It makes sense to him and he's the one responsible for his actions. The government spends less, not more, during a temporary partial shutdown.

Re: Democrats really love their chances 2014 with a long protracted Government shutdo

it's nice to have representatives doing your bidding in Congress, it's just that some folks can't handle other people having representation... they want it all for themselves...like you and most of the Democrats here throwing tantrums.

nobody said laws don't mean anything, that's your strawman, not mine.....

if Obamacare is the only thing between us an dying in the streets, we'd all be dead by now.. it's only 1 ****ing day old!

People die every day because they do not have access to affordable healthcare..Is that irrelevant also?

Sure they do, its what their consitiuents want.

I hope they shut it down until Ried and Obama comes to their senses.

Even if takes months

Don't you think that the Democrats have constituents also...?

You are wrong about that. The power of the purse belongs to Congress, and, yes, they have the power to cut funding for lawful activities if they don't like the way they are being administrated. That goes up to and includes the conduct of the Commander in Chief in war. The President has total authority to conduct war, but the Congress still has the power to cut funding for those activities if they see fit. Period.

When you lost the House in 2010 you LOST. The implementation of Obamacare was screwed. Deal with it.

We'll see I guess..

As republicans shutdown the government and dash to their limousines and golf courses to..."fight-the-good-fight"...democrats are giddy with this political gift.

No matter what statistics we see ...know this ....more Americans favor the democrats than this far-far-right wing lunatic fringe. Why republicans won in 2010 isn't because they grew their base ....it was because democrats stayed home ..plain and simple. And even where republicans won back then ...they often loss the popular vote but won because of rigged political map.

And we can verify this when we saw Obama won handily ...twice ...winning the popular vote and the election.

So democrats welcome this shutdown as a means to invigorate their base for 2014. And what will Republicans gain?

Dudes ....if you get madder at Obama ...you're vote will still only count as ..ONE VOTE!! :lamo

And you're never going to draw democrats or independents into your madness...again forget the polls ....let me repeat ..OBAMA HANDILY BEAT YOU GUYS.....TWICE!!

And the joke is ....Obama care still stand under a shutdown and your quest to punish the poor will be mixed as some programs will not be affected.

Democrats feared they wouldn't get another Sarah Palin to use as a symbol to bring out their supporters .....but with luck the Obama deranged right wing ...ensured that void is being filled.

Yeah. Blocking WW2 Vets from the memorial and Reid saying he doesn't care about kids with cancer are great optics. Besides,wtf cares about who wins in 2014? As long as Obama is potus,it doesn't really matter anyways.

If the polls are to be believed, ever since the passage of Obamacare there has been 52-58% of Americans against it. The latest CNN poll puts it 57% against, 38% for. CBS has 51% against 39% for, FOX 54% against 35% for. The thing is ever since passage these numbers has been fairly constant. There is not 45-45 split and never had been any. Of course when the bill was first passed, 58% of Americans were against it.

It is numbers like these that make me wonder why the Republicans are trying to stop its full implementation. If the GOP was smart which apparently they are not. They would let the law become fully implemented and then reap the benefits come November of 2014.

I think they are scared it could be successful. Many of them got elected on the premise it would be disastrous so what is their future if it works out?

People die every day because they do not have access to affordable healthcare..Is that irrelevant also?

No, that's not true at all. That's a canard.

I think they are scared it could be successful. Many of them got elected on the premise it would be disastrous so what is their future if it works out?

It costs a person with a family of four making $15,000 a year $8,900 a year to get a policy through the exchange. And they don't qualify for subsidies. And you think this is going to be soooo popular?

It is the most relevant thing said in a long time.

With all the things I hear about "pro-life" I just wish more people though pro-life should be applied to the post-born as well.:(

It costs a person with a family of four making $15,000 a year $8,900 a year to get a policy through the exchange. And they don't qualify for subsidies. And you think this is going to be soooo popular?

Where are you getting your information?

I just looked up on the California site and 32,000 and below (family of four) qualifies for Medicaid. (no premium)

When I cranked up the numbers way up (40,000/family of four) Premium assistance was offered and yearly amount was $2400

https://www.coveredca.com/individuals-and-families/index.html

That is ridiculous. A family of 4 with a yearly income of $23,550 is considered living in poverty. It is pretty bad when you flaunt that bad of an understanding of the law that you think people who are living below poverty are going to be forced by insurance on the exchanges.

That is ridiculous. A family of 4 with a yearly income of $23,550 is considered living in poverty. It is pretty bad when you flaunt that bad of an understanding of the law that you think people who are living below poverty are going to be forced by insurance on the exchanges.

I agree.

I went on to the CA site and found NOTHING near his "facts"

I am hoping it is a simple misunderstanding and not intentional lies.:(

not one person...ever... has died from lack of access to affordable healthcare insurance.
it's not a lethal condition.

I think you will be very surprised when people still die after Obamacare really gets going.

not one person...ever... has died from lack of access to affordable healthcare insurance.
it's not a lethal condition.

I think you will be very surprised when people still die after Obamacare really gets going.

What a dumb statement.

So the new threshold for success of Obama-Care is that ....NOBODY SHOULD DIE!!....:lamo

I thought about that, that one reason for all these shenanigans the GOP is pulling right now might be exactly that. But ever since 2010, over the last couple to three years the Republicans sure have pulled a lot of dumb stuff and nominated dumb candidates. They turn a sure gain of 4 or 5 senate seats last year into a two seat lost with just plain dumb politics. It seems to me that when it comes to the game of politics, the Democrats are heads above the Republicans in playing this game. The Democrats have their heads in the sky, the Republicans in the sand. Seems the GOP falls for every political trap the Dems lay.

Republicans know that any type of healthcare system is going to be attractive. There is a reason that they so viciously attack ACA and yet say almost nothing about Medicare. Once ACA goes into full effect people will start liking it.

Where are you getting your information?

I just looked up on the California site and 32,000 and below (family of four) qualifies for Medicaid. (no premium)

When I cranked up the numbers way up (40,000/family of four) Premium assistance was offered and yearly amount was $2400

The cost estimator I used is linked in my post. The numbers I got were for Texas, so I wonder if the state makes a difference?

And if your state doesn't fund Medicaid you still get bupkiss; your choice will still be whether to pay $8,000 out of your $12,000 salary. In about half of the states the adults get nothing. Maybe there will be something for the kids, pregnant women, etc.

Below 133% of the poverty level the only choice is to go on Medicaid -- no private insurance for you, that's the point, you don't get a subsidy.

You think the average Democratic voter knows this? I doubt it. According to one poll 40% of them think Obamacare is free. And I suppose it is if what you mean is "enroll in Medicaid." Then good luck finding a doctor.

And if your state doesn't fund Medicaid you still get bupkiss; your choice will still be whether to pay $8,000 out of your $12,000 salary. In about half of the states the adults get nothing. Maybe there will be something for the kids, pregnant women, etc.

Below 133% of the poverty level the only choice is to go on Medicaid -- no private insurance for you, that's the point, you don't get a subsidy.

You think the average Democratic voter knows this? I doubt it. According to one poll 40% of them think Obamacare is free. And I suppose it is if what you mean is "enroll in Medicaid." Then good luck finding a doctor.

Still a terrible understanding of the law. The worst case you face the first year is a $95 fine. A person with a $12,000 salary DOES NOT have insurance under the pre October rates. And if a state does not finance Medicare then that is the state's decision. ACA sucks but these embarrassing and dishonest arguments are not the way to go about discrediting it. You only discredit your own understanding of the law. There are so many good reasons to be against it. What is the point of making up fictional ones?

What a dumb statement.

So the new threshold for success of Obama-Care is that ....NOBODY SHOULD DIE!!....:lamo

yes, it was dumb... nowhere near as dumb as saying people die from lack of access to affordable health insurance, but still pretty dumb.

The reason Republicans won in 2010 was gerrymandering AND older, conservative people tend to vote in non-Presidential election years. But that describes 2014. Ruh-roh. I can't guess how 2014 will turn out, though. Anything can happen.

The reason Republicans won in 2010 was gerrymandering AND older, conservative people tend to vote in non-Presidential election years. But that describes 2014. Ruh-roh. I can't guess how 2014 will turn out, though. Anything can happen.

How do you explain the flip of the House in 2010 when the districts were the same as in 2006 and 2008? Districts have been gerrymandered for decades. It's nothing new, and your argument falls flat...

It was more than that. The districts in most states weren't gerrymandered in favor of Republicans until 2012. Also the turnout in midterms does favor Republicans, but the effect isn't that large.

It was more than that. The districts in most states weren't gerrymandered in favor of Republicans until 2012. Also the turnout in midterms does favor Republicans, but the effect isn't that large.

Ah, well, never mind, then, about the gerrymandering. And I will rephrase the off-year elections: Almost always the party not in power in the White House wins seats. With a tilt toward Republicans, since younger people don't show up to vote unless there's a big deal like a hotly contested Presidential election going on. That is a huge effect, I've heard.

Ah, well, never mind, then, about the gerrymandering. And I will rephrase the off-year elections: Almost always the party not in power in the White House wins seats. With a tilt toward Republicans, since younger people don't show up to vote unless there's a big deal like a hotly contested Presidential election going on. That is a huge effect, I've heard.

The midterm effect isn't that big though. Democrats lost more seats than anyone going back to WW2. Sure considering the midterm effect and the fact they did so well in 2006 and 2008, Democrats had a harder challenge than Republicans, but there was a lot more at play than that. It wasn't the only reason they lost in 2010.

Back
Top Bottom