• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats raise more than $7 million in hours after leak of draft Supreme Court abortion opinion

A person shouldn't have to travel to another state to exercise her rights.

Her rights if Roe Vs Wade is overturned will be state to state based. What's a right in one state may not be in another state. Not every state;s laws are the same.
I think this will be the crux of ongoing debate, legislation and court rulings. When rights are involved where does the authority sit ....at a federal level or a state level? Should all Americans enjoy the same basic rights as relates to freedom of choice or is it based on zip code? This isn't going away any time soon.

I don't think states should be making the decision. I think abortion is a constitutional right.
Show me any text in the US Constitution that even mentions abortion. And if you do not want the states making the decision, you should seek a US constitutional amendment making it a right. Without such, it is just a SCOTUS decision that can be overturned by a SCOTUS decision. You probably noticed the right to bear arms is protected by the second amendment. Noting protects Roe Vs Wade other then librul congress critters shitting themselves if a conservative is nominated to the SCOTUS.

"Republican groups, on the other hand, have mostly focused on the unprecedented leak of the draft opinion — or not engaged on the subject at all."

Oops. It would seem the GOP bit off more than it could chew in its relentless culture war. Despite all contrary odds they just gave the Democrats the advantage in the midterms.
1651864555599.png

Now what?

I think this will be the crux of ongoing debate, legislation and court rulings. When rights are involved where does the authority sit ....at a federal level or a state level? Should all Americans enjoy the same basic rights as relates to freedom of choice or is it based on zip code? This isn't going away any time soon.
It's not a matter of "should" or "should not". It's a matter of what is or is not in the US Constitution.

It's not a matter of "should" or "should not". It's a matter of what is or is not in the US Constitution.
Agreed, and neither is so it is up to the people through their various legislative bodies both State and Federal.

I think it's just the beginning. Americans tend not to like being stripped of their rights, but that doesn't stop the GOP from existing solely to do it.
and when the GOP raises money to stop Democrat gun bans or free speech, you all claim the GOP is pandering to unfound fears

Agreed, and neither is so it is up to the people through their various legislative bodies both State and Federal.
And if Roe V Wade is overturned it will be about state legislative bodies as it was before.

And if Roe V Wade is overturned it will be about state legislative bodies as it was before.
Lefties often have a hatred of the constitution and see those who actually understand the constitution as obstacles to their schemes.

Show me any text in the US Constitution that even mentions abortion. And if you do not want the states making the decision, you should seek a US constitutional amendment making it a right. Without such, it is just a SCOTUS decision that can be overturned by a SCOTUS decision. You probably noticed the right to bear arms is protected by the second amendment. Noting protects Roe Vs Wade other then librul congress critters shitting themselves if a conservative is nominated to the SCOTUS.
A lot of things aren't mentioned in the Constitution. Perhaps you should read Roe.

A lot of things aren't mentioned in the Constitution. Perhaps you should read Roe.
Yeah, and many things Democrats foisted upon us clearly violate the tenth amendment and obviously the ninth. And when that happens, the Democrats reflexively squawk-BUT RIGHts hAVE LIMIts

Lefties often have a hatred of the constitution and see those who actually understand the constitution as obstacles to their schemes.
And that lead them to being totally frustrated when their schemes fail, especially in regards to the 2nd amendment.

If that's what you think...fine. However, the draft decision, as written leaves, it wide open to federal legislation.

It's never been far from the surface. I think the federal government has to protect some rights because the states can't be trusted to uphold them themselves. Black people, for example, still wouldn't have civil rights in the South if the federal government didn't step in.

I think a women's right to choose is equally important and should be guaranteed federally, but the Federalist Society that owns the Supreme Court doesn't agree with me.

If that's what you think...fine. However, the draft decision, as written leaves, it wide open to federal legislation.
what sort of federal legislation? yes I suppose congress can try to pass a freedom to abort law and see if that can overrule state power. one thing congress cannot do is ban abortion at a state level

It's never been far from the surface. I think the federal government has to protect some rights because the states can't be trusted to uphold them themselves. Black people, for example, still wouldn't have civil rights in the South if the federal government didn't step in.

I think a women's right to choose is equally important and should be guaranteed federally, but the Federalist Society that owns the Supreme Court doesn't agree with me.
what exactly do you know about the Federalist Society? I know four of the five founders very well. What do you think the religious backgrounds are of those founders? what do you think their views on abortion were/are?

Don't be so sure. The draft as written doesn't relegate this decision to the States even though many want to read that into it. They could have specifically stated the right lies with the States but they did not. They said "legislators" with no qualification as to Stae or Federal.

The 14th Amendment exists.
and yet the second amendment wasn't incorporated (ie supreme court action) until the last decade or so. And that was an enumerated and concrete part of the bill of rights. where is that same "right to abortion" or right to "bodily autonomy" that does not say overrule laws against using Schedule one narcotics etc

and when the GOP raises money to stop Democrat gun bans or free speech, you all claim the GOP is pandering to unfound fears
I mean, the NRA is a business. I don't know what you mean by "free speech".

You tell me. You're the one who responded to the thread.
R's caught the car they've been chasing for 50 years. Now they don't know what to do with it other than to ignore the content of the opinion and focus on the leak.

True. The democrats plan a vote to codify Roe V Wade, however they lack the votes in the Senate. And even if they do legislate it, it's still subject to getting contested in the US Supreme Court. Only the constitutional amendment process can make it a right that is not eternally subjected to getting overturned. I am betting that you understand the right to bear arms has such protection.

Yeah, and many things Democrats foisted upon us clearly violate the tenth amendment and obviously the ninth. And when that happens, the Democrats reflexively squawk-BUT RIGHts hAVE LIMIts
You're just polluting the thread with broad generalizations and incessant whatabouting. I'm not going to storm the Supreme Court and try to hang Alito, but I do think the draft opinion is wrong.

True. The democrats plan a vote to codify Roe V Wade, however they lack the votes in the Senate. And even if they do legislate it, it's still subject to getting contested in the US Supreme Court. Only the constitutional amendment process can make it a right that is not eternally subjected to getting overturned. I am betting that you understand the right to bear arms has such protection.
All true. As for the rest.....this is not about the second

R's caught the car they've been chasing for 50 years. Now they don't know what to do with it other than to ignore the content of the opinion and focus on the leak.
Yes....be careful what you wish for...you may just get it!

Back
Top Bottom